Wednesday, October 29, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Wednesday, October 29, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by alietr »

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4713 and hover over the dollar amounts for each clue.
Ryno
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Ryno »

Ryno wrote:Just an observation, I think why Ryan took a little extra time on his "Georgetown" DD during the J! Round is because George Washington U. Law School is also located near Pennsylvania Ave., but a few miles away. He is a lawyer & the patent office is located in the DC area (Alexandria, VA), so I assume that he was giving the clue full and careful consideration.
Yep, confirmed: https://twitter.com/RyanAlley/status/527625168894836736
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

gnash wrote:
Volante wrote:Serbia, Montenegro and Yugoslavia each had their own president during that window.
Same is true for USSR and Russia (well, they didn't call them presidents, but chairmen of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet) at any time during the existence of the USSR. The question is whether "Russia" would be accepted for USSR. It shouldn't be, but I wouldn't bet on it.
Maybe I'm reading your comment wrong, but "Russia" has been accepted on the show several times for "USSR" (on my phone now, so checking on the Archive and reporting back would be more of a headache than if I was on my desktop). This has been done both during and after the Cold War. And it's been accepted because "Russia" has always been colloquially used for the USSR, like England" for the UK and "America" for the USA, despite the incorrectness. British Jeopardy (where you'd be negged for saying "What is Abraham Lincoln" because Lincoln is a who not a what) might be anal enough to neg Russia for the USSR, but American Jeopardy isn't.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

lieph82 wrote:
Austin Powers wrote:Eliot is hardly a horrible guess. It's bad mainly because I don't think he moved over to England until almost the same time that James naturalized there, but at least he moved there. James' novels are terrible and not really read today, but I suppose one could get to him because so much of his work is about the ex-pat experience.
In an academic context, I can tell you Williams College has taught 5 courses specifically about James and 11 courses that read at least one of James's novels in the past two years. But yeah, Oprah's not going to pick one of his novels anytime soon.
Washington Square and Turn of the Screw are widely read, loved and adapted works.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

xxaaaxx wrote:Once again we see the folly of offering a tie, needlessly running the risk of being destroyed by the new challenger the next day.

:mrgreen:
It's a shame that nice guys finish second sometimes.