The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by skullturf »

Bamaman wrote:
WLT Atlanta, Bulls, or red at $200?
The College Football HOF is there, along with Georgia Tech, mentioned in the clue.

Phil Jackson coached Michael Jordan's Bulls.

The clue said it meant red in Korean and said more so as you go north (or words to that effect). North Korea is communist and red is the color associated with communism.
For what it's worth, my opinion is that of those three clues, the Korea one is a little more tricky or cute. I actually blurted out "white" while watching at home. (Further north = more snow?)

But the other two clues were more about knowing specific facts, such as where Georgia Tech is, or what was a successful basketball team in 1996 coached by Phil Jackson.
MitchO
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MitchO »

skullturf wrote: or what was a successful basketball team in 1996 coached by Phil Jackson.
The 90s Bulls were a little bigger than "a successful basketball team". It's the progenitor of the modern dynasty, and if you need to know anything about sports, 90s + Basketball = Phil Jackson, Michael Jordan, Chicago Bulls.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote:
WLT Atlanta, Bulls, or red at $200?
The College Football HOF is there, along with Georgia Tech, mentioned in the clue.

Phil Jackson coached Michael Jordan's Bulls.

The clue said it meant red in Korean and said more so as you go north (or words to that effect). North Korea is communist and red is the color associated with communism.
I don't think they're officially communist. (They're probably seen by other communist states as communists like other Christians see Westboro as Christian). I think they officially dropped "communist" from their constitution and the state governmental system is probably better described as "Juche".
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

skullturf wrote:But the other two clues were more about knowing specific facts, such as where Georgia Tech is
Or reading the goal post that shows Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl. :)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

econgator wrote:
skullturf wrote:But the other two clues were more about knowing specific facts, such as where Georgia Tech is
Or reading the goal post that shows Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl. :)
I just knew where the HOF is. But I never heard of that bookstore.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Bamaman wrote:But I never heard of that bookstore.
Powell's is to bookstores as the '90s Bulls were to basketball.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

trainman wrote:
Bamaman wrote:But I never heard of that bookstore.
Powell's is to bookstores as the '90s Bulls were to basketball.
Does that make the Strand the Showtime Lakers? :p
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I figure I better bump this in the fervent hope that people will use this and that the daily threads won't be littered with the explanations meant solely for him.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

This is about the Friday FJ! clue, so you're warned.

The Zambezi River reaches the ocean in this country that lends its name to the body of water where it happens

The Zambezi River winds it way at some point to either reach the Atlantic Ocean or the Indian Ocean. It turns out to be the Indian Ocean, so that is east. From there it could Somalia, Kenya, Tanzania, Mozambique or South Africa. In between Madagascar and Mozambique is a body of water named the Mozambique Channel.

Mozambique the country and Mozambique Channel share a name.

Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

MarkBarrett wrote:This is about the Friday FJ! clue, so you're warned.

The Zambezi River reaches the ocean in this country that lends its name to the body of water where it happens
If you ever have trouble figuring out what a clue means, try stopping when you get to the "this ______" and ignore the rest for a bit.

The Zambezi River reaches the ocean in this country

At the very least, you now know you're going to respond with the name of a country.

If you want to look at the hint, you can try starting with the "this ______":

this country that lends its name to the body of water where it happens

In other words, the country (your response) has its name in common with another body of water (particularly, the one where the river reaches the ocean – I admit this part is more difficult to see).

This doesn't always work, but it will work often enough to make it worth the attempt.
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
NHO Freedom Rides. That seemed like a very generational clue.
You know, somethings should transcend generations, and the African American Civil Rights movement is one of those things. There is really no excuse for any adult American not to have at least a passing knowledge of it.

And, fortunately, PBS has made it easy. There is a great series called Eyes on the Prize (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/eyesontheprize/) and an even more specific one called Freedom Riders (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperie ... domriders/) that you should seek out.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Elijah Baley wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
You know, somethings should transcend generations, and the African American Civil Rights movement is one of those things. There is really no excuse for any adult American not to have at least a passing knowledge of it.
Maybe so, but I sure didn't know it.
patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Elijah Baley wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Well, sure, but you're a penguin, so...
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

patkav wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
Elijah Baley wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Well, sure, but you're a penguin, so...
Ebony and ivory
live together in perfect harmony
side by side on my gorgeous sleek bod,
O Lawd, why can't you morons?

Hmmm... I need to work on the meter and rhyme scheme, but it's a good sentiment. Maybe I can find a zebra to record the song with.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

opusthepenguin wrote:Maybe I can find a zebra to record the song with.
Don't work with a skunk, whatever you do.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Elijah Baley wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
The Freedom Rides may not have quite the notoriety as Little Rock, Selma, Montgomery, etc. but it's pretty close. I highly recommend the PBS show on it - plus Eyes on the Prize, if you've never seen that series.

I'm thinking that American history classes may need to work backwards in time; I don't know if it's changed from my day, but we spent so much time on everything up to WWII, the last 60-70 years aren't getting their due. And they're arguably a lot more relevant than colonial life.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

Elijah Baley wrote:
The Freedom Rides may not have quite the notoriety as Little Rock, Selma, Montgomery, etc. but it's pretty close. I highly recommend the PBS show on it - plus Eyes on the Prize, if you've never seen that series.

I'm thinking that American history classes may need to work backwards in time; I don't know if it's changed from my day, but we spent so much time on everything up to WWII, the last 60-70 years aren't getting their due. And they're arguably a lot more relevant than colonial life.
I'd vaguely heard the term Freedom Riders, and now it just clicked in for me as to where I'd heard it: The theme song to the TV show Maude.

Didn't find out exactly what/who they were, or even that they were an actual thing until recently.

That brings up another theory I've often thought. It seems that stuff that occurred just before you start to become aware of stuff is often the last stuff you find out about. 1961 was one of the years just before I began to notice anything beyond my little-kid toys and games, so I didn't really experience it and the only way I would have found out would be either by study or by the pure chance of seeing or reading the right thing at the right time.

In other words, when I was little I learned more about Babe Ruth's 1927 home run record than I did about Mantle's 1961 record.

A more astonishing example of this little theory of mine is about my ex-wife and her 6-years-younger cousin. The ex was born in 1957 and was wayyyy into pop culture by the time the Beatles came onto the scene, and she remebers them well. She has told me that she mentioned the Beatles to that younger cousin (born in 1963), and she was amazed to find that her cousin had never even heard of them!
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Rackme32 wrote:
Elijah Baley wrote:

I'd vaguely heard the term Freedom Riders, and now it just clicked in for me as to where I'd heard it: The theme song to the TV show Maude.

Didn't find out exactly what/who they were, or even that they were an actual thing until recently.

That brings up another theory I've often thought. It seems that stuff that occurred just before you start to become aware of stuff is often the last stuff you find out about. 1961 was one of the years just before I began to notice anything beyond my little-kid toys and games, so I didn't really experience it and the only way I would have found out would be either by study or by the pure chance of seeing or reading the right thing at the right time.

In other words, when I was little I learned more about Babe Ruth's 1927 home run record than I did about Mantle's 1961 record.

A more astonishing example of this little theory of mine is about my ex-wife and her 6-years-younger cousin. The ex was born in 1957 and was wayyyy into pop culture by the time the Beatles came onto the scene, and she remebers them well. She has told me that she mentioned the Beatles to that younger cousin (born in 1963), and she was amazed to find that her cousin had never even heard of them!
This is starting to sound like the SNL sketch where they ask people in the 80s (?) where they were when JFK was shot and people reacted that they hadn't heard the news. I'm curious when this cousin was asked about the Beatles - in the 60s or later??

And it all also seems to confirm that the more information we have available to us, the less we seem to know (collectively). Info overload?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Freedom Riders didn't ring a bell for me, either, and I watched "Eyes On The Prize" when it originally ran in 1987. That was a long time ago.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Rackme32 wrote: In other words, when I was little I learned more about Babe Ruth's 1927 home run record than I did about Mantle's 1961 record.
Maris. Mantle didn't break the record.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)