Monday, November 24, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Monday, November 24, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Robert K S »

I can't imagine there is any quantification to back the claim that the Spice Girls' images were published as frequently as the Beatles' at their respective heights of popularity. Talk about hyperbole.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

billiej wrote:When Oasis came out they garnered so much *cough* unwarranted *cough* press comparing them to the Fab Four that it never occurred to me to consider other possibilities. :twisted:
There was a quote from one critic back then, that went something like; "They sound more like the Beatles than The Beatles". I tended to agree, when comparing them to the two "new" Beatles songs that came out on the Anthology soundtrack. (Surviving three Beatles adding instruments & vocal to Lennon's demo tapes), Blegghh.

When the clue was revealed, I confidently called out Who is Oasis. Then when that response was declared incorrect, my jaw dropped.
I've heard of the Spice Girls but wouldn't know the first note of any of their songs, nor any of their dumb stage names.

I agree with others who have stated that the clue was very under specific. It was serious neg-bait to anyone who happened to like the music style of the 60s-70s.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

bomtr wrote:Those of you who do, think they were a huge phenomenon only because you were children. They were hardly musicmakers, and the writers chose to quote an idiot. It was a publicity stunt and no more; it's like saying The Monkees were the biggest musical act of the '60s and comparing them to Elvis.

Stupidest FJ ever. Stupidest.
I lived through the 90s as an adult. I had no awareness of Oasis. None. Outside of the occasional Jeopardy clue, I think I still wouldn't be aware of them. I still can't tell you anything about them except that there are brothers named Gallagher involved (and, I'm hoping, a song called Sledge-O-Matic that you really have to see live). They might as well have not existed.

I would never precall Oasis for a 90s music act category. They aren't on my radar. I might precall Nirvana or Pearl Jam or The Backstreet Boys or INXS or Britney Spears or Mariah Carey or Shania Twain or Celine Dion or Lou Bega or Ricky Martin or Stone Temple Pilots or Blink-182 or Garth Brooks or.... I know I'm forgetting a bunch that would be obvious to me if I wanted to wikicheat. Oasis would never make the list.

The Spice Girls absolutely would. I couldn't not be aware of the Spice Girls in the 90s. I could and can reliably name 4 out of 5 of them. Not always the same 4.

Here's a statistic I just made up to convey the difference. In 1998, the Spice Girls had 20 million rabid fans. 8 million of them had never even heard of Oasis (and haven't to this day). Out of all the Oasis fans, 12 of them had never heard of the Spice Girls. The rest had not only heard of the Spice Girls but could name at least one member. More than half could name all five.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

opusthepenguin wrote:
bomtr wrote:Those of you who do, think they were a huge phenomenon only because you were children. They were hardly musicmakers, and the writers chose to quote an idiot. It was a publicity stunt and no more; it's like saying The Monkees were the biggest musical act of the '60s and comparing them to Elvis.

I lived through the 90s as an adult. I had no awareness of Oasis. None. Outside of the occasional Jeopardy clue, I think I still wouldn't be aware of them. I still can't tell you anything about them except that there are brothers named Gallagher involved (and, I'm hoping, a song called Sledge-O-Matic that you really have to see live). They might as well have not existed.

I would never precall Oasis for a 90s music act category. They aren't on my radar. I might precall Nirvana or Pearl Jam or The Backstreet Boys or INXS or Britney Spears or Mariah Carey or Shania Twain or Celine Dion or Lou Bega or Ricky Martin or Stone Temple Pilots or Blink-182 or Garth Brooks or.... I know I'm forgetting a bunch that would be obvious to me if I wanted to wikicheat. Oasis would never make the list.

The Spice Girls absolutely would. I couldn't not be aware of the Spice Girls in the 90s. I could and can reliably name 4 out of 5 of them. Not always the same 4.

Here's a statistic I just made up to convey the difference. In 1998, the Spice Girls had 20 million rabid fans. 8 million of them had never even heard of Oasis (and haven't to this day). Out of all the Oasis fans, 12 of them had never heard of the Spice Girls. The rest had not only heard of the Spice Girls but could name at least one member. More than half could name all five.
Another statistic: notes of music 'made' by the Spice girls = zero.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

bomtr wrote: Another statistic: notes of music 'made' by the Spice girls = zero.
I'm curious of your opinions about Lady Gaga and Flavor Flav now...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
zakharov
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by zakharov »

bomtr wrote: Another statistic: notes of music 'made' by the Spice girls = zero.
Man you must have loved the Justin Bieber FJ!
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

How exactly does one make music, in your opinion?
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

Don't you guys know that no good music has been made in 30 years? It's a statistical fact.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

C'mon people. Bomtr was replying to a statistic that I totally made up for humorous purposes. I think he's allowed to respond in kind.

EDIT: Mennoknight's post hadn't showed up when I started writing the above. I think he did well.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

Golf wrote:
heelsrule1988 wrote:Howwwwww was FJ a TS?!?!
This is one of those inverse relationship questions that come up once in a while. The higher your average coryat, the less chance you have. The lower your coryat, the better chance you have. A higher percentage of people polled at random on the streets will answer this correctly compared to the typical Jeopardy contestant.
You sort of just called me stupid. :cry:
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

The clue was about the train station in Gettysburg, not Baltimore. The original station is actually separate from the warehouse. Old Camden Station now houses the Sports Legends Museum.

Oasis never sounded very Beatles-like to me. The most two Beatles-like songs to me are "Mr. Blue Sky" by Electric Light Orchestra and "Ordinary World" by Duran Duran.

Strange that there's a chorus of whining over the Spice Girls, but barely a whisper about the Reality TV category.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

silverscreentest wrote:The clue was about the train station in Gettysburg, not Baltimore. The original station is actually separate from the warehouse. Old Camden Station now houses the Sports Legends Museum.

Oasis never sounded very Beatles-like to me. The most two Beatles-like songs to me are "Mr. Blue Sky" by Electric Light Orchestra and "Ordinary World" by Duran Duran.

Strange that there's a chorus of whining over the Spice Girls, but barely a whisper about the Reality TV category.
O gosh I missed that tyvm Silverscreentest idk why I'd think Baltimore, clearly early onset Alzheimers' coming on! :oops:

BTW I visited your Montgomery Co page, nice setup you got there! I'm away down south from you. Send a tell if you come around the Beltway, eh?
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
JDHealy

Post by JDHealy »

El Jefe wrote:
UiscePreston wrote:
OSXpert wrote:I pre-called "Oasis or Spice Girls" and it only took me a second to decide which one the clue was asking for.
1) You are extremely generous in your assessment of the Spice Girls' output as "music-making".

2) Oasis, while not much better, was vilified from day one as bubblegum clones of the Beatles - from their sound/style to their choice of haircuts and instruments. That plus the male-to-male comparison tipped nearly all indicators to Oasis.

So unless one knew the clue's exact quote and all information referenced therein (which I seriously doubt anyone did), these were both complete guesses - with the Oasis response as the one far more implied by elements of the clue.

I had the Gallagher brothers on the brain as I was just discussing those very Epiphone models with both my guitar tech and a work colleague this afternoon. I also believe Alex was overstating the "unforgettability" of Posh & Co. The collective memory of the hoi polloi has the necessary capacity to suppress excruciating experiences like "2 Become 1" and Spice World.
After taking the serious negbait by saying Oasis and then finding it wrong, I backed the DVR up and the realization set in that the writer(s) of the clue must have amused themselves quite mightily. Rather than some sort of honor or acclamation, the clue pointed to *recognizability* which after all encompasses fame and infamy (if you even believe they are separate). It definitely is highly dubious that The Spice Girls "made" that music. If you translate "social phenomenon" you get "multi-level marketing" and what else? Limited actual talent? It surely doesn't mean "experts musicians and singers."

More importantly, although Oasis' *music* is recognizable, I'm not sure how many people who listen could identify Neil, Tony, Liam, Paul 1 or Paul 2 (please note, dnbguy). I know I couldn't. The Spice Girls. OTOH, splashed their candy-coated-Bratz-style images everywhere.

I had to laugh at the consideration of Duran Duran as a 90s band.
Now let's be fair- Duran Duran was certainly active in the 1990s. And they are much cuter than the Spice Girls. :-)
JDHealy

Post by JDHealy »

Robert K S wrote:Precalled Oasis; thought it was right when the clue came up because of the Beatles comparison. I couldn't tell Sporty from Baby from Posh anyhow. Not sure if they had any global hits beyond the earworm "Wannabe". A search of the Archive shows even the J! writers can't agree whether that song came out in 1996 or 1997.

Thank you for the LOL on 'earworm' - totally agree. Never liked them so I probably had a mental block on that one. :-)
JDHealy

Post by JDHealy »

Thank you for a huge laugh - have to agree that comparing them to the Beatles gave me pause. :lol:
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

dhkendall wrote:
And yet this past Sunday's "Simpsons" had Homer loving early-'80s rock so much that he formed a cover band to play it.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

silverscreentest wrote:...Oasis never sounded very Beatles-like to me. The most two Beatles-like songs to me are "Mr. Blue Sky" by Electric Light Orchestra and "Ordinary World" by Duran Duran.....
I'd add "Sowing the Seeds of Love" by Tears for Fears.
OCSam
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

OrangeSAM wrote:
silverscreentest wrote:...Oasis never sounded very Beatles-like to me. The most two Beatles-like songs to me are "Mr. Blue Sky" by Electric Light Orchestra and "Ordinary World" by Duran Duran.....
I'd add "Sowing the Seeds of Love" by Tears for Fears.
I thought of that too. That song is to the Beatles what Weird Al's "Dare to Be Stupid" is to Devo. At least in terms of overall sound.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

silverscreentest wrote:Oasis never sounded very Beatles-like to me. The most two Beatles-like songs to me are "Mr. Blue Sky" by Electric Light Orchestra and "Ordinary World" by Duran Duran.
How quickly they forget Klaatu.