Thursday, November 27, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, November 27, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6949, 2014-11-27

CONTESTANTS
David Greisman, a communications manager and boxing writer from Columbia, Maryland
Michelle Chick, an administrative assistant from Livonia, Michigan
Aggie Lee, an attorney from Los Angeles, California (whose 1-day cash winnings total $15,800)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Happy Thanksgiving, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to our program. I always wear my pumpkin tie on Thanksgiving. Well, will it be Aggie, Michelle, or David who will be giving thanks at the end of this show for all of the money and the good luck they have enjoyed in this half-hour? Let's start finding out, shall we? Good luck, players. Here we go. Today, the Jeopardy! Round has these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ANAGRAMMED NEW YORK CITIES (4/5)
KITCHEN CONFIDENTIAL (5/5)
NBA LAST NAME'S THE SAME (5/5)
YOU, PRONOUNS & ME (5/5)
WHICH CABINET DEPARTMENT? (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE DAWN OF THE ATOMIC AGE (3/5) (Jimmy: [*] from Los Alamos, New Mexico, where the first nuclear weapons were born in 1945.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
David: 13 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Michelle: 8 R, 1 W
Aggie: 5 R (including 1 DD), 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,400

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Michelle: $4,400
David: $2,800
Aggie: $800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: David Greisman is a boxing writer who once covered Tyson's last fight. And I understand that Tyson wasn't very nice to you at the press conference afterwards.

David: No. Mike Tyson was fighting Kevin McBride, and he kept on fouling McBride before giving up. And I asked him about the fouls afterward, and he looked at me and said, [as Mike Tyson] "Man... I was desperate. I wanted to win." [Normal voice] And then he said something I can't say here.

Alex: Well, you're lucky he didn't try to bite your ear.

David: That's true.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Michelle Chick is an administrative assistant from Michigan. Took a motorcycle endorsement class just before you were getting married. Why would you do that?

Michelle: Well, I wanted to get my endorsement so that I could get a motorcycle as soon as possible.

Alex: But that's kind of dangerous.

Michelle: Well, uh, my husband, Keith, and I were both fairly confident in my skills, and we figured if something did happen, well, the cast would match the dress.

[Laughter]

Alex: Got that? White cast. White dress. Okay.

Alex: Aggie Lee is an attorney from Los Angeles who spent two years traveling through the Far East. Where exactly, and what was the purpose of this two-year trip?

Aggie: Oh, I spent two years living in Nanchang, China, where I earned a graduate degree--certificate, actually. And so, part of that experience was traveling all around Asia. So we went pretty much everywhere except for India and...

Alex: Now, are you of Chinese descent?

Aggie: Um, I'm Korean. Korean. Yes.

Alex: Korean descent. Okay. All right.

Aggie: So, we did go to Korea.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Aggie found the Daily Double on the 25th clue. Aggie had $1,800, Michelle had $4,000, and David was at $5,200. Aggie wagered $1,600.

WHICH CABINET DEPARTMENT? $1000: The Office of Natural Resources Revenue

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ANAGRAMMED NEW YORK CITIES $1000: "Colorful" town possibly named for its abundant heavy fogs:
WHISTLE PAIN

WHICH CABINET DEPARTMENT? $600: The Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation
(David: What is Treasury?)

THE DAWN OF THE ATOMIC AGE $800: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew presents the clue from Los Alamos, NM.) The stress of running the administrative & scientific size of the project of producing the bomb wore this Los Alamos lab director down to 116 pounds by July 1945

THE DAWN OF THE ATOMIC AGE $1000: Surely you're joking! Not yet 28, he was a group leader in the theoretical division of the A-bomb push

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
David: $6,000
Michelle: $4,400
Aggie: $3,400
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, November 27, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
SOUNDS LIKE MAD LIBS, BUT REAL (4/5)
YO, JOHANN! (4/5)
POTPOURRI (2/5) (Alex: A little bit of everything.)
FEMALE BOOK CHARACTERS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
WORLD HISTORY (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
JUST BEYOND THE "H"ORIZON (3/5) (Alex: Notice the "H" in quotation marks. Each correct response will begin with that letter, and each correct response will be a word that comes after "horizon" in the dictionary.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Aggie: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W
Michelle: 5 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W (including 1 DD)
David: 6 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 9
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $11,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Michelle snagged the next Daily Double on the 4th clue. Aggie had $3,000, Michelle had $5,600, and David was at $6,800. Michelle wagered $1,000.

WORLD HISTORY $1600: On Jan. 26, 1808 George Johnston of Australia's New South Wales Corps led a mutiny vs. this governor & arrested him
(Michelle: Who is Melbourne?)
(Alex: No. He's a man who's famous for another mutiny... [*]. He was not, uh, unfamiliar with mutinies.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Michelle who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 8th clue. Aggie had $3,000, Michelle had $5,800, and David was at $8,000. Michelle wagered $2,000.

FEMALE BOOK CHARACTERS $1600: The first part of "Les Miserables" is called "Fantine"; the second part is named for her

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WORLD HISTORY $400: In 1825 this revolutionary controlled an area from the Caribbean to Argentina
(Aggie. Ooh. Uh, who is Che Guevara?)
(Alex: It was 1825, so it was [*].)

JUST BEYOND THE "H"ORIZON $800: Suite! It's the friendly reception of guests
(David: What is honeymoon?)

JUST BEYOND THE "H"ORIZON $1600: The science of measuring time

POTPOURRI $400: This word meaning to raise anchor has nothing to do with how heavy it is; it's from Old Saxon for to lift or carry
(Aggie: What is hoist?)

WORLD HISTORY $2000: This early Germanic people in Gaul were split into 2 major branches, the Salians & the Ripuarians

POTPOURRI $800: It's the Hebrew name for the prayer shawl seen here

POTPOURRI $1600: Travel guides dub the area seen here this color coast; the name of the color comes from the country it's in
(Alex: The country is Turkey. The color is [*].)

SOUNDS LIKE MAD LIBS, BUT REAL $2000: Born in Goose Creek, he was Oscar-nominated as Buddy Holly &, on a later film, had an on-set fight on how heaven looked

YO, JOHANN! $2000: From 1791 to 1817 this poet & playwright served as director of the Weimar court theater

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Aggie: $12,600
Michelle: $11,000
David: $7,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BODIES OF WATER

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Aggie: Wager $9,401 to cover Michelle.
Michelle: You're faced with a legitimate choice in strategy. You can either choose to cover David, hoping that you give the correct response and Aggie doesn't, in which case you'll want to wager $4,201 to cover David's doubled score, but no more than $7,800 if you want to top Aggie on a Triple Stumper; or bet up to $3,399 and win if both Aggie and David miss Final.
David: If you think Michelle is going to wager to cover you, try wagering less than $800 to beat Aggie and Michelle on the Triple Stumper; or, if you think Michelle is going to wager small in hopes of a Triple Stumper, wager between $3,401 (venusian, to top a $0 wager by Michelle) and $7,600 (martian, which may win in some cases but may also risk dropping you from second to third place if you get Final wrong).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
First encountered in 1648 by a man born in Russia, it was eventually named after a man born in Denmark

FINAL SCORES
David: $7,600 + $4,000 = $11,600 (What is the Bering Strait?) (New champion: $11,600)
Michelle: $11,000 - $4,000 = $7,000 (What is the Caspian Sea) (2nd place)
Aggie: $12,600 - $9,401 = $3,199 (What is the              river?) (3rd place)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $15,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Aggie: $12,000, 14 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Michelle: $11,600, 13 R (including 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
David: $7,600, 19 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $31,200

BATTING AVERAGES
David: 20/58 = .345
Aggie: 14/59 = .237
Michelle: 13/60 = .217
Team: 47/63 = .746

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
YOU, PRONOUNS & ME $800: Pronoun in a 1940 Hemingway novel title; ring in now!
(Michelle: What is thee?)
(Alex: For [*] the Bell Tolls[/i]. You got it.)

THE DAWN OF THE ATOMIC AGE $200: (Kelly of the Clue Crew presents the clue from Los Alamos, NM.) The project that produced the first atomic bombs got this name after a New York City district of the Army Corps of Engineers, but it came to completion across the country here in Los Alamos

THE DAWN OF THE ATOMIC AGE $400: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew presents the clue from Los Alamos, NM.) In 1945, the Quonset hut here was used to assemble the implosion type atomic device called "Fat Man" that would explode over this city days after Hiroshima was bombed

THE DAWN OF THE ATOMIC AGE $600: (Kelly of the Clue Crew presents the clue from Los Alamos NM.) The area called V-Site was where the device known as the "Gadget" was assembled. The first nuclear device in the world, it had a core of the 239 isotope of this element

FEMALE BOOK CHARACTERS $2000: This woman mentioned in the title of a controversial novel is the former Constance Reid
(Aggie: Who is [*]'s Lover? or [*]?)
(Alex: No. Okay, you corrected yourself in the nick of time. Good.)

JUST BEYOND THE "H"ORIZON $1200: Hyphenated term referring to the last few generations preceding the automobile
(David: What is horse-drawn?)

POTPOURRI $2000: Item 1 in the Mayo Clinic's online instructions for dealing with a victim of this is "Look first. Don't touch"
(Aggie: What is a burn victim?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
the Department of the Interior
White Plains
Labor
Robert Oppenheimer
Richard Feynman
William Bligh
Cosette
Simón Bolívar
hospitality
horology
weigh
the Franks
a tallit
turquoise
Gary Busey
Johann Goethe
the Bering Strait
whom
The Manhattan Project
Nagasaki
plutonium
Lady Chatterley
horse-and-buggy
electrocution
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I thought we'd have an easy board for a holiday...
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Thought for sure I'd bomb the NBA category, but I went 3/5 there.

White Plains was IMO a massive jump in difficulty in the New York category. I could probably name about 500 New York towns before White Plains hit my radar.

Ran Kitchen Confidential. Sashimi is one of very many words I learned from TV Tropes.

Embarrassed that I couldn't get "this" in Pronouns. Word that's common in J! clues? Huh?!?... Oh, derp.

4/5 in "H"orizon, with Lach Trash on Hospitality and Horology.

I thought the Potpourri category was very Sheldon Cooperish. Any reason I should know $400 is "weigh" and not "hoist"? That one in particular seemed neg-bait-y.

Completely lost on FJ!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

1) Why was horse-drawn nor acceptable?

2) How was that not a triple get?
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

The one-and-done streak continues! What a roller-coaster of a game though. When Aggie ended up in the lead at the end I just thought "wasn't she floundering just a second ago?" Well done David. Hope you enjoy the champ's podium tomorrow because clearly it's not going to last.

Wasn't terribly excited about anything that came up today to be honest. When Alex explained the Horizon category I made an almighty grimace. Strange one that. I said "hosting" instead of "hospitality". I know "suite!" was the kicker, but would I have gotten it?

That aside though, glad to see the FJ clue cement the age-old truth that it only counts when a white person discovers it. Because there is no way in hell anybody had encountered the Bering Strait before 1648, nosiree. I tried to think of a body of water named after Tycho Brahe for a bit and then Bering came to me.

Happy American thanksgiving.
FireAntsDefense
This is the Big One

Post by FireAntsDefense »

Would Bering Sea count? Asking for a friend.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I said Bering Sea. Judges?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

FireAntsDefense wrote:Would Bering Sea count? Asking for a friend.
I don't see why not.
evanakm
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by evanakm »

Four instagets after a 3-for-10 TOC. I don't know if that means anything, since this week's FJs have been pretty easy, but it makes me feel a lot better.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I found it kind of odd that there were two wordplay-ish categories in the J! round, with the NBA and NY cities one. Both categories turned out to be easy, and I loved that the contestants went right to the NBA one!

FJ was an instant get. I thought that it was an easy clue, but geography seems to be a category that people love or hate, so I wasn't a complete shock that the contestants were 1/3.
HeathenBenny
Working On The Age Requirement

Post by HeathenBenny »

Bamaman wrote:I said Bering Sea. Judges?
I don't thing the Bering Sea was renamed along with the Bering Strait. Unless the names were changed at the same time I don't know if that would fly.
Aspiring sportscaster. If you like sports, you might like my twitter: www.twitter.com/bennybxb
"I don’t spend any time whatsoever thinking about what might have been." ~Alex Trebek
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

I was torn; I think because the TOM was so weak and little to indicate either would have been accepted, mostly I think they looking for Vitus Bering.
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
cosmos
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by cosmos »

Aggie could have won by betting nothing, since David had the sole get yet failed to cover a wager of $0 by the leader.

Horse-drawn age has to be correct. The clue used the dictionary definition of horse-and-buggy, but that doesn't mean there can't be another acceptable term for it. The response needed a hyphen and horse-drawn is hyphenated. So what exactly rules it out?

I don't think of fog as being colorful. :) The Native Americans used a name that translated into white marshes before the settlers called it The White Plains. It goes back a long way.

Atomic age was easy. Only glitch was forgetting that Gadget refers to the Trinity test, but all I needed to see was the spherical shape used for implosion devices to make it plutonium.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Amazing that no Aleuts, Eskimos etc. saw the Bering Sea until the Russians discovered it.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Leander wrote:Amazing that no Aleuts, Eskimos etc. saw the Bering Sea until the Russians discovered it.
That's why I had almost no confidence in my response. But I couldn't think of anything else to put down.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Agree on wondering why horse-drawn wasn't taken. Disagree on FJ! being easy.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
I thought the Potpourri category was very Sheldon Cooperish. Any reason I should know $400 is "weigh" and not "hoist"? That one in particular seemed neg-bait-y.

Completely lost on FJ!
LOL TPH it is a maritime phrase; "Weigh anchors, run out the yards and hoist the mains'ls, me hearties!" ...Pirate code stuff...

Instaget FJ. Was torn between choosing 'strait' and 'sea'; there is also an island named for Vitus Bering, where he was laid to rest on his last expedition. He was sent by Czar Peter the Great to find out whether Russia had a land bridge with America, so that seemed like the best choice, although I wonder if Bering Sea might be accepted- ideas?

Fantastic holiday game for goatherds, took 44 (22 in each board!) and FJ; 45/61 = 74%, with lach trash on Oppenheimer, Simon Bolivar, weigh, Turquoise coast, Goethe, Wm Bligh as Governor, New South Wales, Franks = tribes of Gaul. Nearly test-ready, intensive study prep in progress!

Interesting clues taken FTW from 4th podium including: Golden 'Apples' = translation of tomato (pomodoro); albacore white tuna, sashimi (take it easy on the wasabi, Mater!); 3/5 on word puzzles (Albany/Buffalo/Niagara Falls); Agree that White Plains was a long reach! Took 'This', Mine, 'Whom and Leaves of Grass > 'Myself', from Walt Whitman; gave 'none' for nobody so took a miss on one.
Got Depts of State, Justice, and Interior (Dad used to work for them lol) didn't reach far enough to get Labor but if SSA is part of that & manage pension plans makes sense. Can't claim Education for English she beat me on the buzzer.

The Los Alamos category was 4/5; I missed the run not recognizing Richard Feinman, I was like; "Is that Teller? He looks too young!" So passed on it, but instaget Oppenheimer ("I have become Death, destroyer of worlds!") = Father of the Manhattan Project, which I also got of course, and Nagasaki = Fat Man (Hiroshima = Little Boy) and Pu-239 = Plutonium. Fascinating how when you read up on stuff it shows up the same day; I prepped science and elements in Ferrill's book today waiting for turkey and BAM! there it was, lol.

DJ: Instaget Simon Bolivar, controlling S. AM in 1825, painful to watch this poor girl struggle with it, my heart aches for the unprepared contestants but I'm glad they come that way b/c there can be only one! Got Batu Khan = Mongol invasion, sacked Kiev 1240, Muhammed fled to Medina (Not Mecca, negbait for that, be careful!) from where he established the Islamic order; and the Mutiny in New South Wales against Capt Wm Bligh; following his acquittal at a board of inquiry by the Royal Navy, he was eventually appointed as Governor to NSW where he incited the Rum Rebellion with more stubborn unpopular directives, lol.

Instagets in lit: Katniss Everdeen (sister: Prim/Primrose, for whom she took the challenge in book 1; Panem is the place and Suzanne Collins wrote it, tuck all that away in ur bonnet!) and Adele Varens > Jane Eyre (Adele is her hyperactive French pupil); Judy Blume; "Are you there God? It's me Margaret (Simon)" Fantine = Pt !; Cosette = Pt 2 in Les MIs; Constance Reid = Lady Chatterley. Ran the cat.

Horse-and-buggy came to mind but 'Horse-drawn' does seem like it should be accepted, IDK why not?! Arbitrary... Instaget Duesenberg, Hors d"Oevres, Hormone, and stretched for Horology = study of Time, correcting my initial impulse to say 'chronology' which is a temporal sequence of events. Got electrocution hazard, Gutenberg 1450 press, Angelina Jolie ; NHO Hebrew prayer shawl 'Talit."

In 'Johanns,' Got Goethe (Faust played at Weimar Theater), Swiss Family Robinson (Johann Wyss; Robinson is not a Swiss name but derived from the cult obsession at the time of shipwreck survival, started off with Robinson Crusoe by Defoe; was a virtual reality show, a la 18th century, lol); 1856 = Neanderthal discovery near Dusseldorf; (Don't confuse with Cro-Magnon, disc in southern France in 1868, the name 'Magnon' is from the cave owner's family name, lol, go figure); and of course Johann Strauss, Tales from the Vienna Woods and Blue Danube (Do not confuse with Richard Strauss, Also Sprach Zarathustra, Der Rosenkavalier, a fav; and Salome).

At least they cleared the boards and it was well-contested, I sure hope the new champ can last to next week! Happy Turkey Day, the madness begins Friday!
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
davey

Post by davey »

HeathenBenny wrote:
I don't thing the Bering Sea was renamed along with the Bering Strait. Unless the names were changed at the same time I don't know if that would fly.
The important part is whether the Sea was first "encountered" before the Strait, not when they were named, though it seems likely that they were given Bering's name together.
Unless someone can point to an earlier "discovery" of the Bering Sea, I'm still "accepting" my own answer of that.
econgator wrote:1) Why was horse-drawn nor acceptable?
Google does come up with hits for "horse-drawn age" but I doubt you'd find the idiom in a dictionary.
"Horse-and-buggy" is given the definition in the clue at dictionary.com. "Horse-drawn" just says "pulled by a horse or horses."
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

29 right.

New York- 5; Kitchen- 2; NBA- 4; You- 2; Cabinet- 1; Atomic- 2
Libs- 3; Johann- 2; Pot- 0; Female- 3; World- 3; "H"- 2

Lach trash: "White Plains", "J. Robert Oppenheimer", "Simon Bolivar", "Gary Busey"

I arrived at Bering fairly quickly, and I said Bering Sea and Bering Strait interchangeably. I would think either one would suffice and I was hoping that both answers were said to see how they would judge it.