Friday, November 28, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, November 28, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6950, 2014-11-28

CONTESTANTS
Ann Conger, a healthcare analyst from New Orleans, Louisiana
Sam Sukaton, a community organizer from Los Angeles, California
David Greisman, a communications manager and boxing writer from Columbia, Maryland (whose 1-day cash winnings total $11,600)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Hello, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to our show. No turkey leftovers for you. A brand-new champion in David and two new challengers in Sam and Ann. Welcome. Let's get to it. First round--Jeopardy! Here are the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE BIBLE (5/5)
NUMBERS (5/5)
JUDGES (3/5)
CHRONICLES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
DANIEL (3/5)
"REV"-ELATION (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Ann: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Sam: 10 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
David: 7 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Ann: $3,600
David: $2,000
Sam: $2,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Ann Conger is from Louisiana. She's the only contestant we've ever had on Jeopardy! who was working in a game reserve in Africa. Where, and what exactly were you doing?

Ann: I was in northeastern South Africa, working as--one of my jobs was an elephant trainer. We had to sleep with the elephants every night because they got very lonely, and we didn't want them getting upset because they would be leading--people would ride their backs for safaris, so keep them very happy.

Alex: Very exciting, too.

Alex: Sam Sukaton is from L.A. Your grandmother was in the diplomatic corps?

Sam: Yeah, wrong country, though. My grandma was an Indonesian ambassador to Romania in the early '90s. I think she did some schoolwork at Pitt, worked for the foreign service on and off for most of her life, and then her retirement job, I think, was the appointment to Romania, so my sister actually grew up speaking Romanian, 'cause she went to school in Bucharest.

Alex: Uh-huh. Have you ever thought of a career in...?

Sam: I mean, preserving and uplifting people's lives wherever they are is always something that's kind of my guide star.

Alex: Good. All right.

Alex: David Greisman is our champion. You were bar mitzvahed not at the age of 12 or 13, but how old?

David: I was 26. I was on the birthright trip to Israel at the end of 2008. On the first day, one of the tour guides asked if I had been bar mitzvahed before, and I said No. He said, "just wait", and a few days later, I and about 19 other people were bar mitzvahed and bat mitzvahed on top of Masada.

Alex: Masada.

David: Yes, sir.

Alex: Special place.

David: Special memory.

Alex: Yes, indeed.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Sam found the Daily Double on the 27th clue. David had $3,400, Sam had $3,000, and Ann was at $4,400. Sam wagered $1,000.

CHRONICLES $400: On Sept. 13, 1864, this writer noted the completion of illustrations for a book he wrote for young Alice Liddell

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
JUDGES $800: This judge liked to boast that he was the only law west of the Pecos River

JUDGES $1000: This 3-named justice, on the Supreme Court 1902-1932, wrote 873 opinions, more than any other justice before him
(Sam: Who is Charles Evans Hughes?)

DANIEL $1000: The movie "Rush" is about the racing rivalry of James Hunt (Chris Hemsworth) & him (Daniel Bruhl)

DANIEL $800: Daniel J. Travanti was Captain Frank Furillo on this 1980s cop show

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Sam: $5,000
Ann: $4,800
David: $4,000
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, November 28, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
SCIENCE MYSTERIES (5/5)
20th CENTURY HISTORY (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
SLEEP (4/5)
U.K. BODIES OF WATER (1/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
NO. 1 ALBUMS OF THE '60s (4/5)
THE ELEMENTS OF STYLE (5/5) (Alex: And finally, we deal with the classic book for writers...)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Ann: 8 R, 0 W
David: 7 R (including 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Sam: 7 R, 4 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 7
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $9,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
David snagged the next Daily Double on the 7th clue. David had $5,200, Sam had $4,200, and Ann was at $6,400. David wagered $1,000.

20th CENTURY HISTORY $2000: Clement Attlee succeeded Churchill in the middle of the 1945 conference of allied leaders held in this German city
(David: What is Frankfurt?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was David who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 29th clue. David had $8,600, Sam had $9,000, and Ann was at $12,000. David wagered $5.

U.K. BODIES OF WATER $1600: British history books include the story of King John losing the crown jewels in the Wash, a shallow bay on this sea

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
20th CENTURY HISTORY $1600: By 9 A.M. on April 15, 1912, this ship had rescued about 705 survivors of the Titanic disaster
(Sam: What is the Olympic?)

NO. 1 ALBUMS OF THE '60s $2000: This group's No. 1 albums included "Whipped Cream & Other Delights", "What Now My Love" & "The Beat of the Brass"

SLEEP $1600: Adjective for a drug that helps you sleep or a book or movie so boring it puts you to sleep
(Sam: What is "sopoforic"?)
(Alex: [*], yes.)
[Reversed before the Daily Double at clue 29 because Sam's mispronunciation changed the spelling of the word]

U.K. BODIES OF WATER $1200: Covering about 150 square miles, Lough Neagh in this U.K. country is the largest lake in the British Isles
(Sam: What is Scotland?)
(David: What is Ireland?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)
(David: What is [*]?)
[Reversed before Daily Double at clue 29; Alex should not have asked David to be more specific; Alex missed the "U.K. country" reference in the clue]

U.K. BODIES OF WATER $800: A great way to see Liverpool is to hop aboard a ferry & take one of the cruises offrered on this river
(Alex: And the Beatles sing about [*].)
[NOTE: No Beatles lyric mentions the river in question; the popular song Alex was likely thinking of was by Gerry and the Pacemakers.]

U.K. BODIES OF WATER $400: Ports on this strait include Folkestone, England & Boulogne, France
(Sam: What is the English Channel?)

U.K. BODIES OF WATER $2000: A sweater may be needed in Aberystwyth, Wales, which lies on this large bay; it can be cool most of the year
(Alex: And the sweater you might want would be a [*] because it's on [*] Bay.)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Ann: $12,000
Sam: $9,000
David: $8,605

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ARLINGTON NATIONAL CEMETERY

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Three-quarters (exactly) for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Ann: Wager $6,000. If Sam bets to tie your $0 bet with a wager of $3,000, Sam would fall to $6,000 on a miss, and would beat you out by a dollar if you were to bet to cover and were also stumped.
Sam: If David had less than two-thirds your score, your optimum wager would be $3,000, but you can't let David surpass you. Wager $8,211. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $8,210 (to shut out David) or less than $3,000 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by David). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Ann.
David: You do have some slim hope of taking 1st place, and it's most likely to happen in the event that you're the only one to respond correctly to Final. Wager between $396 and $8,604.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The remains for Arlington's first monument to unknown soldiers mostly came from this battlefield 30 miles away

FINAL SCORES
David: $8,605 + $2,500 = $11,105 (What is Manassus Bull Run?) (2nd place)
Sam: $9,000 - $7,000 = $2,000 (What is Antietum?) (3rd place)
Ann: $12,000 + $1,999 = $13,999 (What is Bull Run?) (New champion: $13,999)
(Alex: [To David] They both are the same place.)
(Alex: [To Sam] The bloodiest battle.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $13,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Ann: $12,000, 17 R, 0 W
David: $11,200, 14 R (including 1 DD), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Sam: $8,400, 17 R (including 1 DD), 5 W
Combined Coryat: $31,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Ann: 18/58 = .310
Sam: 17/59 = .288
David: 15/60 = .250
Team: 50/63 = .794

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
JUDGES $200: Columbia, S.C.'s this building is named for Matthew J. Perry, the first black federal judge from the Deep South
(David: What is a supreme court?)

"REV"-ELATION $600: Sleep stopper heard here

CHRONICLES $200: Here is the actual diary given to this girl on June 12, 1942

SLEEP $1200: The legendary magician Merlin was said to have been fathered by one of these demons that prey on sleeping women
[Sam gave both listed responses.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Lewis Carroll
Roy Bean
Oliver Wendell Holmes
Niki Lauda
Hill Street Blues
Potsdam
the North Sea
the Carpathia
Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass
soporific
Northern Ireland
the Mersey River
the Strait of Dover
Cardigan
Bull Run
federal courthouse
"Reveille"
Anne Frank
incubi (or singular incubus)
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

:)
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Hearty congrats to new champion Ann. This might go down in history as the day of the massive reversals. I knew instantly that the middle fellow's botched pronunciation of soporific was not acceptable. The champ's pronunciation of carotid also begged for the tape to be carefully screened. But the reversal on Northern Ireland surprised me. I guess someone in charge was miffed by AT's demand to BMS. Ann was the one who was not disaffected by these rulings, so it left her in fine fettle for FJ. I instagot both names. The U.S. called it the Battle of Bull Run; the Confederacy called it the Battle of Manassas. And then there was another one a year later.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

WHomever wins this game has to wait a week to defend their title. As per an article about tween J! contestant Zane Ice in the Palm Beach(FL) POst being on the show December 4th, next week is Emanciptation, er, KIds' week.
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

What was Sam's job again? Golfing announcer? Smooth jazz radio DJ? At any rate he sure was laid-back (except for the furious fist-pump).

Agree with the Ireland neg - A person from Belfast could still be called Irish, there is some overlap there, but just as Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Republic of the Congo and Democratic Republic of the Congo are all distinctly different places, so are the Republic and Northern Ireland.

Nine one-timers in a row now. Ann's got a "week to study" now so let's she if she can reverse the trend!

No clue on Final. American history? See ya next time.
NYCScribbler
Harbinger of the Outchange

Post by NYCScribbler »

Sucks that Alex forced a contestant into being wrong with that BMS.
"Who said anything about a horse?!"

"Also, how the bleep did I forget Russia even exists?!"- TPH
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

NYCScribbler wrote:Sucks that Alex forced a contestant into being wrong with that BMS.
He didn't. The error was giving him a BMS in the first place (ETA: This isn't the first time he's made that mistake). I was screaming at the TV when he did that, so I was happy with the reversal. Ordinarily I'd be annoyed with Alex, since missing those wrong answers could've affected the game (missed chances for rebounds, clue selection order) but after that DD bet and those FJ wagers (WTF???), I don't think it mattered.

Not quite instaget FJ, but close.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Ann got off to a fast start and ultimately won; good game for her. This game was easier than usual for me. I got 41 clues correct including Judge Roy Bean; Oliver Wendell Holmes; Hill Street Blues; Carpathia; Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass; and Strait of Dover; but I guessed Antietam for FJ.
Horsebox
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Horsebox »

He asked which UK country. There is no COUNTRY called Northern Ireland and there is no UK country called Ireland.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I enjoyed this game, even though the female contestant and the guy in the middle were kind of slow to pick clues. This was an excellent board; I wish that the clue quality was always this good.

The guy who had been the champion should have wagered for the lead on that last DD. You can't count on a single get FJ or the contestants ahead of you not wagering to cover, even if you hate the category that the DD is in. That (presumably) cost him the game.

I was also waiting for the reversal on the Northern Ireland clue. I still cannot believe that Alex prompted that one. You would think that after 30 years he would know better.

I got FJ. I was worried that it was Gettysburg, but 30 miles just didn't seem far enough away for Gettysburg.
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

I live within a mile of Arlingliton National Cemetery, so I knew that it would bug me all weekend if I missed this FJ. I knew it was a coin toss between Antitem and Bull Run. Antitem isn't that far away, 30 miles would be ballpark, so I went with Antitem. :cry:

Lach Trash: Roy Bean, Oliver Wendell Holmes, Niki Lauda, Hill Street Blues, Carpathia, Potsdam (DD), Mersey.

Coincidently, that "Ball Four" book and author was featured as a FJ clue on Sports Jeopardy!
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

31 right.

Bible- 1; Numbers- 3; Judges- 3; Chronicles- 4; Daniel- 4; "Rev"- 3
Science- 3; History- 5; Sleep- 0; UK- 0; 60's- 4; Style- 1

Lach trash: "Judge Roy Bean" (I've seen it pop up in old games on the archive that I look through and nailed it in time), "Hill Street Blues", "Carpathia", "Potsdam"- DD

Instaget FJ- went to Bull Run/Manassas on June 21, 2012 while spending a week in DC. Also hard to forget for me because it was about 100 degrees that day.
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

Using the map app function on my iPhone indicates that Antitem is about 70 miles from Arlington National Cemetey.
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

I sometimes uses dashes -- which the judges should also accept as a correct response -- to enclose parenthetical expressions.

I liked how Sam gave both plural and singular on a "one of these" clue.
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

4 games in season 31 have been bad wages. We've seen a lot of tie wages, yes, but bad wagers are where it grinds my gears. Pulling a "Sarah McNitt" is never good and can backfire.

Reason? If the scores are about as follows: if 3rd is close to winning 1st and 2nd if wrong, then that would backfire.

E.g. 15000 - 7200 - 13600
-4000 +6500 -10000
11000 13700 3600

OR, if wager is really small while the others are right and bet big, that would hurt. Happened with Leonard, Nilai and Emily on the Teen Tournament and Mark, Ben and Dawn.

(It's no joke. I made it up. Apparently, it's a thing.)

Seriously? This was quite a horrible way to end a Black Friday.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Fine, no one knows Judge Roy Bean. I get that that is going to happen in 2014 now on J! Hill St. Blues a TS? Even guys over 30 like David may be too young for things of the 1980s. :cry:

As long as J! is on the show will ask for the Carpathia. It's a good one to know by now whether the ship or the Carpathian mountians.

Sam knew Lawrence Welk, but not Herb Alpert. I'd like to think the "Brass" TOM was not enough to get him to Tijuana Brass otherwise at least he may have had a shot at it.

I had had enough of David when he did not know the Potsdam DD, so his insane gutless cutesy Arthuresque $5 was icing on the cake. However Ann worked out her calculating worked out well enough with Sam missing and David once again wagering small. David was introduced as a boxing writer. I'm starting to wonder if it's real boxing or shadow boxing.

The FJ! category had me think about what little I know about the place. I knew JFK/Taft and land from Lee with a mix of eternal flame and Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. The clue had me working it as Arlington = Virginia, battle = Bull Run. Fine except I kept thinking.

Notorious battle: Antietam (and been FJ! response previously), Maryland next to VA, so okay. Then I did a Delmarva to recall another bordering state. Delaware battle? I got nothing. With time running down I needed a response. It was then I had the "brilliant" inspiration for another Civil War battle.

Gettysburg. I wrote that while considering possible distance between PA and VA having no idea of the location for either in the states. Even though 30 miles is short I convinced myself it was possible. A week ago I would have been happy to finish this week at 80%. That's what I get instead of the very reachable perfecto. Glad I did it at home.

Kids next week. It will be interesting to see how simple the FJ! responses are to spell to prevent another Thomageddon.
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

xxaaaxx wrote:
NYCScribbler wrote:Sucks that Alex forced a contestant into being wrong with that BMS.
He didn't. The error was giving him a BMS in the first place (ETA: This isn't the first time he's made that mistake). I was screaming at the TV when he did that, so I was happy with the reversal. Ordinarily I'd be annoyed with Alex, since missing those wrong answers could've affected the game (missed chances for rebounds, clue selection order) but after that DD bet and those FJ wagers (WTF???), I don't think it mattered.

Not quite instaget FJ, but close.
You cannot get a BMS on an answer that would be wrong on its own.
Ireland was wrong by itself, ergo, the BMS did not make him any more wrong than how he started out.
I've even referred to it as the (Northern) Ireland Rule on a few occasions (but apparently not often enough to make an impact... :lol: )

Final was instant, thanks to my HS Amer Hist teacher. Fond memories of him describing the First Bull Run as a spectator event, where people from D.C. came and watched. Well, if DC could walk to the battle, makes sense the first casualties at, essentially, a DC cemetery would be right outside the front door.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran Bible, all but 8 in Numbers and all but revival in "Rev"elation.

Also ran Albums, with Herb Alpert/Tijuana Brass being my only Lach Trash.

I thought Strait of Dover was tough at $400.

Odd that we had two reversals on the last DD. Can't remember the last time that happened.

30 miles from Arlington? Well, Gettysburg seems like it's close, I think? Bull Run?!? Where the heck is that?!? And I have a friend who lives in Manassas too.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Was English Channel outright negged? Wiki gives the Strait of Dover as the strait at the narrowest part of the English Channel.
OCSam