2011 contestant writes about social media comments on her appearance

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

ihavejeoprosy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: 2011 contestant writes about social media comments on her appearance

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

BobF wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
I can see this one both ways.
Apparently so could her boobs. What, did I just say that? Time to turn the filter between my brain and my fingers back on.
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

lieph82 wrote:Yeah, instead of expecting human beings not to be awful, offensive morons, let's blame her for getting offended when personally attacked.
Yeah, instead of expecting human beings not to be self-centered crybabies, let's blame people whose life is so fulfilled and intellect so rich that they have no better ideas to share than what they think of the looks of a random person on TV.
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

How unfortunate it is that we live in a world where people can say these things about your personal appearance and most people don't seem to bat an eye.
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

lieph82 wrote:How unfortunate it is that we live in a world where people can say these things about your personal appearance and most people don't seem to bat an eye.
Welcome to the real world. It begins in elementary school and never stops.
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I call BS on a lot of these posts. The point of her article is that the comments focused on her looks, not her performance. With all the hate directed at Arthur Chu, I don't recall much if any vitriol about his appearance. There is a pernicious double standard at work here. That's what her article was highlighting and I'd hope that people could see that.
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

Woof wrote:I call BS on a lot of these posts. The point of her article is that the comments focused on her looks, not her performance. With all the hate directed at Arthur Chu, I don't recall much if any vitriol about his appearance. There is a pernicious double standard at work here. That's what her article was highlighting and I'd hope that people could see that.
In fairness, Arthur got a lot of shit for his appearance too, but twitter trolls do tend to disproportionately attack women.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Woof wrote:I call BS on a lot of these posts. The point of her article is that the comments focused on her looks, not her performance. With all the hate directed at Arthur Chu, I don't recall much if any vitriol about his appearance. There is a pernicious double standard at work here. That's what her article was highlighting and I'd hope that people could see that.
This.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

ihavejeoprosy wrote:I'm feeling real salty this morning, but would she have been as affected if the comments said she looked great?
People will always have an opinion about your looks or anything else about you.
How self aggrandizing of her to dedicate an entire article about people not fawning over looks and then presenting her life history as if its some kind of tragedy that there were snarky people on Twitter.
Pfft, no one ever says nice things on the internet.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

I will not, on my own volition, go and search Twitter for stupid and malicious comments, but I bet that there were plenty of nasty comments on Arthur's appearance. If racist comments are included (and what are they about if not appearance?) then I'd bet anything there is more Twitter vitriol (Twittriol?) about Arthur's appearance than about Beth Ford Roth's.

That's not to say you don't have a point, just that you chose the wrong analogy. But I cannot discuss why the analogy is wrong without making, in effect, a negative comment on Arthur's appearance.

But does your point prove a double standard, or simply that (1) men tweet more than women, and (2) only women have body parts that are both above the lecterns and a risque topic of conversation?
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

Is it really true that men tweet more than women? I would have expected the opposite.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

BTW the demographic most likely to make nasty comments on just about anybody's appearance is almost certainly women over 75. But they don't tweet much. Yet.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

lieph82 wrote:Is it really true that men tweet more than women? I would have expected the opposite.
You are correct and I stand corrected (http://www.beevolve.com/twitter-statistics/). However, I was thinking of tweets that air an opinion without an intent to talk to anyone specific, as opposed to tweets that communicate something to friends. Usage statistics don't distinguish between the two, but I think the first kind (relevant here) is rather typically male.
El Jefe

Post by El Jefe »

gnash wrote:
lieph82 wrote:Is it really true that men tweet more than women? I would have expected the opposite.
You are correct and I stand corrected (http://www.beevolve.com/twitter-statistics/). However, I was thinking of tweets that air an opinion without an intent to talk to anyone specific, as opposed to tweets that communicate something to friends. Usage statistics don't distinguish between the two, but I think the first kind (relevant here) is rather typically male.
I would concur given the anecdata. If you want nasty missives with a more female-heavy participation, check J!'s FaceBook page (at least, as of a year or so ago, plenty of nasty people commented and the majority was female).

But I agree about the uselessness of complaining about Twits- it has officially eclipsed the effects of the actual bad actors. Sorta like those people who complain all the time about air travel (especially around people who are only annual travellers). Yeah, we know it's going to take a long time- SHUT UP ABOUT IT ALREADY, you're not helping...
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

gnash wrote:BTW the demographic most likely to make nasty comments on just about anybody's appearance is almost certainly women over 75. But they don't tweet much. Yet.
Ageist and misogynist for the exacta.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

I reviewed her game #6123 aired 6 Apr 2011. Pretty well-played with 4 clues left uncovered on J-Board, but full clear of DJ board, she sure gave champ a run for his money and both responded correctly to FJ, IMHO you can't worry about what fools think and certainly don't need to waste your valuable time trying to change their hopelessly addled minds, besides, they forget about you a day later anyway:

His first name means "happy", but 3 of his 5 symphonies are in gloomy minor keys:
Spoiler
Felix Mendelssohn
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

It's not her fault that she's looking at twitter to see what people will say, but people are, in general stupid. That includes many on this board including myself. I say stupid things all the time, so she shouldn't be surprised that there are comments about her boobs, her hair being too dark , or shirt being too red, and that they are, of all things negative and/or mean.

I don't twitter, I wouldn't even know how, nor do I care to see what a bunch of stupid people are saying, probably a bunch of stupid stuff.

I only look forward to some day getting on Jeopardy, only so I can see Austen Powers tell everyone on here how stupid I am. It's no big deal compared to most on the show. I'm plenty stupid, and I really don't have a problem with it. Two final points.

1.) JMO, but being a male pig. I think she looked kinda good regardless of uneven boobage.
2.) Watch Jimmel Kimmel, celebs reading mean tweets. That stuff cracks me up.