UPDATE: Final call for new trivia game show

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Dance10

Re: New trivia game show is looking for contestants

Post by Dance10 »

MDaunt wrote:
Dance10 wrote: They keep asking for women.
Don't we all?

My wife and I have been trying to convince the women on our pub trivia team to apply. They all refuse.

Got the call. Interview and 10 questions set for Friday. Hoping they can get some personality out of me.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

MDaunt wrote:
Dance10 wrote: They keep asking for women.
Don't we all?
I already have a wife and three teen daughters at home. If I had more women, I don't where I'd put them.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Mitt Romney might have some binders freed up now that he's out of the 2016 race.
one-nil 2.0
Contributor

Post by one-nil 2.0 »

How did they get my telephone number?!

Miss ya, schliebert!
Rafferty Barnes
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Rafferty Barnes »

one-nil 2.0 wrote:How did they get my telephone number?!

Miss ya, schliebert!
I think someone you know must have referred you. On the last page of the application, they ask for referrals to people we'd think would be good on the show.

I got an e-mail last night saying they are in the last two weeks of casting. They're having an open call on Friday in L.A. I don't know if I should post their address here, so give me a PM if anyone is interested in that.
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

dhkendall wrote:
slam wrote:
seaborgium wrote:To my knowledge, there has never been paperwork saying players will be eligible again. Official rules of eligibility have stated that you cannot play if you have previously been a contestant on an Alex-hosted J!. Contestant coordinators seem to have guessed (speciously) that a change of host will lead to a change in that verbiage, which would allow for Alex-hosted contestants to return, and frequently include "this is your only shot until Alex retires" in their spiel.
I've never been a contestant on J! so I haven't seen the official paperwork. However, it says on jeopardy.com "You are not eligible to be a contestant on JEOPARDY! if you have appeared on any version of the show with Alex Trebek." People (and possibly even contestant coordinators) may have twisted this into "Once Trebek retires, contestants who have appeared with him will again be eligible." Of course, the second statement is NOT a logical consequence of the first statement. On the other hand, the first statement does support the premise (and we've seen a number of actual examples of this), "If you were on Jeopardy! with Art Fleming, you can still be on Jeopardy! with Alex Trebek."

Dhkendall - Are you sure that the wording in the Paperwork says that one can appear again once Trebek retires or does it just repeat the language on jeopardy.com and is then being misinterpreted as I describe above?
Well,, of course I haven't seen The Paperwork (I'm an ATB like you), I'm just going by what people here have said. seaborgium seems to have made a pretty rational conclusion, I'll agree with him (as well as you it seems).
I think seaborgium nailed it. The paperwork says you can't appear twice with Alex as host (not including special invitational stuff like TOCs etc). It does not say anywhere that eligibility will be reset when Alex retires. I think Maggie says something in her pregame spiel that implies that maybe possibly if we're really lucky way in the future, once Alex retires the rule might get revisited. But no guarantees.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I believe that language is intended to permit Fleming-era players not to be excluded--not to create some kind of expectation that Alex's retirement date begins a free-for-all return of Trebek-era players.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Robert K S wrote:I believe that language is intended to permit Fleming-era players not to be excluded
And Rock and Roll Jeopardy, Sports Jeopardy, and Jep! players.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

seaborgium wrote:
Robert K S wrote:I believe that language is intended to permit Fleming-era players not to be excluded
And Rock and Roll Jeopardy, Sports Jeopardy, and Jep! players.
In the case of Sports Jeopardy! they probably have to wait (a year?) like anybody who wants to get on that has been on any other game show.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

I passed the initial phone interview today and will do my Skype quiz and interview Thursday morning, provided my son can get me set up on his laptop (no mic or webcam on the desktop).
one-nil 2.0
Contributor

Post by one-nil 2.0 »

Rafferty Barnes wrote:
one-nil 2.0 wrote:How did they get my telephone number?!

Miss ya, schliebert!
I think someone you know must have referred you. On the last page of the application, they ask for referrals to people we'd think would be good on the show.

I got an e-mail last night saying they are in the last two weeks of casting. They're having an open call on Friday in L.A. I don't know if I should post their address here, so give me a PM if anyone is interested in that.
Thanks, Raff! Technology is befuddling. It was a Facebook (of which we all should have a healthful mistrust) message pushed via SMS to the mobile. Ah!

Anyway, if you've ever seen that show "Amurrika's Idle", all there is to say is, as I clutch a numbered bib to my chest, "I'm going to Santa Monica". Tomorrow. Hoo-boy. Dragged back into the wars. Early days yet. We shall see.

And Schliebert still has not been on any game shows on TV. The Universe is funnie like that.
Dance10

Post by Dance10 »

I have been brainstorming the format that the game could potentially take. And also what they could be looking for. Given the format of giving as many possible answers in 15 seconds rather than one and done, perhaps they are looking for people who can talk through possibilities similar to WWTBAM. What do others think?
one-nil 2.0
Contributor

Post by one-nil 2.0 »

All right, mopesz. It appears that "executive callbacks" will begin as early as next week and continue through the end of February 2015. Very peppy associate producers, I must say. Lovely.

Best wishesz to all, including Vanna.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

UPDATE: Final call for new trivia game show

Post by RandyG »

There's only one week left for contestant applications. If you live in the L.A. area, casting is having open calls in Santa Monica this Monday, February 9th and Wednesday, February 11th. See the flyers below for details on the open calls or to apply otherwise. (Note: 10 hour metered parking on Stewart St. north of Olympic; 2 hour parking only south of Olympic, plus construction.)

Image Image
one-nil 2.0
Contributor

Re: UPDATE: Final call for new trivia game show

Post by one-nil 2.0 »

RandyG wrote: (Note: 10 hour metered parking on Stewart St. north of Olympic; 2 hour parking only south of Olympic, plus construction.)
Gas is cheap and you only live once, so why not shell out the $23 for valet parking and act like a bo$$, as the cool kidsz are putting it these days. Bonus: the afternoon attendant knows how to handle a stick-shift. And bring your extraversion. Tyvm.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

one-nil 2.0 wrote:
RandyG wrote: (Note: 10 hour metered parking on Stewart St. north of Olympic; 2 hour parking only south of Olympic, plus construction.)
Gas is cheap and you only live once, so why not shell out the $23 for valet parking and act like a bo$$, as the cool kidsz are putting it these days. Bonus: the afternoon attendant knows how to handle a stick-shift. And bring your extraversion. Tyvm.
Is your extraversion 2.1 or 3.0?
one-nil 2.0
Contributor

Post by one-nil 2.0 »

alietr wrote:Is your extraversion 2.1 or 3.0?
v2.0.1 Beta (released only to developers)

Thank you for a nice message board. You are doing a fine job.
iowabelle
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by iowabelle »

They just finished my 25 minutes of questions via Skype. (Hey, I Skyped SUCCESSFULLY for the first time today. I might be joining the 21st Century! :lol: )

That was a tough set of questions in my opinion. I was tempted to learn the questions that had been posted here, but I didn't think it would have been fair AND I'd rather I don't know stuff than appear an idiot on TV (hey, I had enough idiotic moments with the Trebek!).

So they said they'd tabulate me and let me know if they wanted me.

About whether they'd let those of us who have appeared on Jeopardy! to appear again after Alex retires... why would they? They have so many people who want to get on the show, there's no real reason for them to give us another chance. We had our 15 seconds of fame so they probably think it's fair to give somebody else a chance to be the next Ken or Arthur. (If offered a chance, heck yes I'd go but I don't think it's going to happen!)
colonial
Contributor

Post by colonial »

Finally finished by Skype session last week. Overall, I've gone through four rounds of questions (100 questions total) and a 45-minute interview.

We'll see what happens ...
Tybalteon
Valued Contributor

Post by Tybalteon »

I sent an email yesterday and a follow-up today mentioning this board. I am not what they are looking for right now (darn you, father, for not making me a woman!) but it doesn't hurt to apply anyway, right? Maybe there's one more spot they want filled up. :oops: