Thursday, December 18, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, December 18, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6964, 2014-12-18

CONTESTANTS
Kevin Hozey, a history teacher from Jacksonville, Florida
David Emery-Peck, a development officer from Oberlin, Ohio
Kurt Fritzsche, a medical device engineer from Loveland, Ohio (whose 1-day cash winnings total $13,201)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, everyone. Johnny, thank you very much. Hi, folks. Just one week away, and these three fellas--Kevin, David, and Kurt--are still trying to earn more spending money for the holiday season. Let's see how it works out for you. Here we go into the Jeopardy! Round, and directly into these categories. We start off on the left side of the board with...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
U.S NEWS & WORLD REPORT BEST OF 2014 (5/5)
MOVIE STUDIO LOGOS (5/5)
THAT CAN MEAN 2 THINGS! (5/5)
DO THE MATH (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
OFFICIAL STATE STUFF (5/5)
THE NATIVITY (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Kurt: 16 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Kevin: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
David: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Kurt found the Daily Double on the 10th clue. Kurt had $2,000, David was in the red with -$200, and Kevin was at $400. Kurt made it a True Daily Double, wagering $2,000.

DO THE MATH $800: The total surface area of a cube with each side 10 inches long is this

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Kurt: $5,000
Kevin: $1,400
David: $800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Kevin Hozey is a history teacher with a very interesting collection of stuff. What are we talking about?

Kevin: Well, I'm a big fan of superheroes and comic books, and part of that is my collection of some 2,500 action figures. It takes up a whole room in my house and some shelves in my office at school, as well.

Alex: When did you start this collection?

Kevin: Some of them are from when I was a child. Some of them I picked up in the last 15 years.

Alex: Have you got a favorite?

Kevin: Uh, it's a tossup between Batman and Captain America.

Alex: Okay. Good.

Alex: David Emery-Peck is from Oberlin, Ohio. Now, like many people, he, uh, has done a great deal of traveling, and he had an experience with, uh, security people at an airport who thought his cat was...

David: They thought our cat was a bomb threat, and so we were walking through security, and they asked us to remove our cat, which we'd adopted from London, out of the bag, and they wanded her down to determine that she was not, in fact, a bomb threat. In the time that that took, we missed our flight, and someone took our laptop, mistakenly, but she was fine. She was happy to get out of her carrier.

Alex: What kind of cat?

David: Uh, she was just a tabby.

Alex: Good. Okay.

Alex: Kurt Fritzsche is our champion. Says here that a runaway hot balloon once messed up his proposal. To your wife--you were hoping to have a special moment on this hot air balloon?

Kurt: I'd arranged a sunrise hot air balloon flight and was planning to propose at the end. I had invited her parents to show up at the airport and follow the chase truck, the recovery vehicle. We were about to descend into a nice, lush, green park. At the last minute, mother nature intervened, sent the balloon over the tree line of the park into a neighborhood into the dirt yard of a house still being built where we waited for 45 minutes for the recovery vehicle and her parents to finally show up before I could drop to one knee and propose.

Alex: The best laid plans of mice and men.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
DO THE MATH $200: If the meter says $16.00 & you tip 20%, you'll give the driver this total
(David: What is $3.20?)
(Alex: You have to add the cost of the fares, so you'll give [*].)

DO THE MATH $600: The largest common factor of 84 & 105 is this
(Kurt: What is 7?)
(David: What is 3?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Kurt: $9,800
Kevin: $4,200
David: $800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, December 18, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
A LITTLE T & A (4/5) (Alex: Each correct response will begin with the letter "T" and end with an "A".)
THE CIVIL WAR (5/5)
COUNTRIES BY WORLD HERITAGE SITES (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THAT WAS ON TV (4/5)
IAMB WOMAN (3/5)
HEAR ME ROAR (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Kevin: 14 R (including 1 rebound and 2 DDs), 0 W
David: 5 R, 0 W
Kurt: 5 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Kevin snagged the next Daily Double on the 20th clue. Kurt had $13,800, David had $3,600, and Kevin was at $13,400. Kevin wagered $3,000.

COUNTRIES BY WORLD HERITAGE SITES $1600: The Monarch Butterfly Biosphere Reserve
& the Prehistoric Caves of Yagul

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Kevin who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 24th clue. Kurt had $13,800, David had $3,600, and Kevin was at $20,000. Kevin wagered $3,000.

HEAR ME ROAR $1600: Akira Ifukube used a leather glove coated in pine-tar resin & a double bass to create this character's roar in 1954

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THAT WAS ON TV $800: Addressing web commenters directly to write the govt. about net neutrality, this Brit began, "Good evening, monsters"
(Kurt: Who is Piers Morgan?)

A LITTLE T & A $2000: Silk can be woven into many fabrics, including this one whose name is from the Persian for "to spin"

COUNTRIES BY WORLD HERITAGE SITES $1200: Tel Megiddo &
the Old City of Acre

HEAR ME ROAR $2000: Alphabetically first in the Old Testament comes this prophet who says, "The Lord will roar from Zion"
(Alex: Less than a minute left now, Kevin.)

IAMB WOMAN $400: George Eliot's poem "God Needs Antonio" praises this master maker of musical instruments

IAMB WOMAN $1600: The 44 sonnets in an 1850 volume by her are largely in iambic pentameter

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Kevin: $25,000
Kurt: $13,800
David: $5,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
20th CENTURY SCULPTURE

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Kevin: Wager $2,601 to cover Kurt, but no more than $13,799 so as not to fall behind David's doubled score.
Kurt: You have the hope of surpassing Kevin if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $11,201 to force Kevin to wager to win; but if you're intent on holding on to second place, wager no more than $2,599 to protect your second place position from being usurped by David.
David: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Its sculptor asked for prayer that this work would "endure until the wind and the rain alone shall wear them away"

FINAL SCORES
David: $5,600 - $5,000 = $600 (What is the 9/11 memor) (3rd place)
Kurt: $13,800 - $8,600 = $5,200 (What is the Vietnam Memorial?) (2nd place)
Kevin: $25,000 + $2,601 = $27,601 (What is Mt. Rushmore?) (New champion: $27,601)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $8,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Kevin: $22,200, 21 R (including 2 DDs), 0 W
Kurt: $12,600, 21 R (including 1 DD), 5 W
David: $5,600, 10 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $40,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Kevin: 22/60 = .367
Kurt: 21/59 = .356
David: 10/58 = .172
Team: 53/63 = .841

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
DO THE MATH $1000: If 3x - 11 = 43, x = this
(Alex: Oh, you did that quickly. Good for you.)

OFFICIAL STATE STUFF $400: New Mexico has an official state question, "Red or green?"--it refers to these edibles
(Kevin: What are peppers?)
(Alex: More specific.)

THE NATIVITY $200: In the KJV, Joseph & Mary were in Bethlehem to pay these, according to "a decree from Caesar Augustus"
[Alex reads "KJV" as "King James Version".]

MOVIE STUDIO LOGOS $600: Searchlights scanning the skies & lighting up its name
(Kurt: What is Castle Rock?)

MOVIE STUDIO LOGOS $1000: Pegasus is a long-time symbol of this division of Sony

U.S NEWS & WORLD REPORT BEST OF 2014 $800: Let's get down to business--for undergrads, this City of Brotherly Love university was tops
(David: What is Wharton?)
(Kurt: What is... Drexel?)

A LITTLE T & A $400: Processing grates this starch into little grains, still visible in the eventual pudding

THE CIVIL WAR $1200: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows an animated map diagram on the monitor.) Although he was but 1 of 4 division commanders with Trimble, Pettigrew & Anderson in an attack at Gettysburg, the charge is named for this general

THE CIVIL WAR $2000: In February 1865 Lincoln met with this Confederate vice president aboard the River Queen at Hampton Roads, Virginia
(Alex: You got him. You know your Civil War.)

COUNTRIES BY WORLD HERITAGE SITES $400: The Tokaj wine region &
the Buda Castle Quarter
(Kurt: What is Romania?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
600 square inches
$19.20
Mexico
Godzilla
John Oliver
taffeta
Israel
Amos
Antonio Stradivarius
Elizabeth Barrett Browning
Mount Rushmore
chili peppers
taxes
20th Century Fox
Tristar (Columbia Tristar accepted)
the University of Pennsylvania
tapioca
(George) Pickett
Alexander Stephens
Hungary
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

20th Century Sculpture
Its sculptor asked for prayer that this work would "endure until the wind and the rain alone shall wear them away".

Spoiler
What is Mt. Rushmore? David said the 9/11 Memorial; Kurt said the Vietnam Memorial.

Kevin Hozey: $25,000+$2,601=$27,601...now a 1-day champion with $27,601
Kurt Fritsche: $13,800-$8,600=$5,200
David Emery-Peck: $5,600-$5,000=$600
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by gamawire »

:mrgreen:

Looking good for a perfecto this week! (Wait - did I just jinx myself?)
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I fell into the same trap on Math for $200.

How can you possibly shortcut "greatest common factor of 84 and 105" or "3x-11=43?" Anyone?

Four 4/5s for me, with Paramount, coast, Nazareth, and Taffeta costing me the runs in their categories.

Embarrassing neg for me on State Stuff. I figured "red or green" = red salsa/salsa verde. Close but no guitar.

What led to Maine on State Stuff for $600?

Lach Trash: Stradivarius.

I said Christ the Redeemer; Mom actually got it right. I said, "No, wasn't Rushmore done in the late 19th century?"
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Kevin played an excellent game. I got 37 clues correct including $19.20 and Stradivarius. I got FJ instantly. The J! round was exceptionally easy for me, where I got 23 right.
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

I don't remember exactly how the Wharton/UPenn question was worded but I thought they were asking for the business school. Wouldn't Wharton have been acceptable?
Leander

Post by Leander »

jpr281 wrote:I don't remember exactly how the Wharton/UPenn question was worded but I thought they were asking for the business school. Wouldn't Wharton have been acceptable?
I think they were looking for Universities, so they wanted the university that Wharton was a part of.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

This was a fun board, but it had a lot of material that I whiffed on but should have known. I was happy to get some Lach trash at the end, with "Stradivarius" and "Elizabeth Barrett Browning."

This was a classic example of a FJ that you can get off the category and then write down the precall as soon as you see the clue.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

TPH wrote: How can you possibly shortcut "3x-11=43?" Anyone?
I did.
StevenH wrote:This was a classic example of a FJ that you can get off the category and then write down the precall as soon as you see the clue.
I bet they were counting on Stone Mountain (19th century) being a diversion.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Category 13 wrote:
TPH wrote: How can you possibly shortcut "3x-11=43?" Anyone?
I did.
I had to figure it out on paper: 3x-11=43. Add 11 to both sides, 3x=54. I know that 54/9=6, so 54/18=3. But I had barely gotten to "3x=54" before someone rang in. And that's a TON of math to do in two seconds.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

I got FJ just as the music ended. :oops:
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

35 right.

2014- 5; Logo- 5; 2 Things- 2; Math- 2; State- 1; Nativity- 1
TA- 3; Civil War- 5; Heritage- 3; TV- 2; Woman- 3; Roar- 3

Lach Trash: "Israel", "Elizabeth Barrett Browning" (I see her a lot in the archives and finally got her as a correct answer)

Instaget FJ.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I had *serious* reading comprehension problems with my answer of "Rodin". First I thought they wanted the sculptor, not the sculpture (which I why I was expecting negs for a different reason when the reveal started), secondly was forgetting the category, the only sculpture I could think of with more than one person in it was "The Kiss". (Mount Rushmore doesn't usually come to mind when I think of "sculptures")
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dhkendall wrote: (Mount Rushmore doesn't usually come to mind when I think of "sculptures")
That's probably why I dismissed it too.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I fell into the same trap on Math for $200.

How can you possibly shortcut "greatest common factor of 84 and 105" or "3x-11=43?" Anyone?

A: Rearrange the equation by adding 11 to both sides, so: 3x = 43 + 11 = 54; then solve by inspection: 54/3 = 18 >>>Instaget! LOL@AT: "Gosh you worked that out PDQ!"

NB: In like manner, easily solve the 10" cube as: (six sides) x 10*10 = 100 sq in per side = 600

What led to Maine on State Stuff for $600? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowdoin_College
>NB Famous alumni: Hawthorne, Longfellow, Handsome Frank Pierce and OMGOSH! Col Joshua Chamberlain of Maine's 20th Regiment, famed for his last-ditch defense of the Little Round Top when his men went bingo on ammo; "Fix bayonets; CHARGE!" TPH: READ The Killer Angels (Michael Shaara, Pulitzer 1975; TOM: The Better Angels of our nature)

Lach Trash: Stradivarius. >NJ! I was surprised that got past 3 players...

I said Christ the Redeemer; Mom actually got it right. I said, "No, wasn't Rushmore done in the late 19th century?"
INstaget FJ for me restoring some confidence badly rattled by last nite's miss on 1946: It's a Wonderful Life; NB the TOM of wind and rain on "them", ii.e.; the four dudes on the mountain...

Very surprising that only one got this FJ. Seems obvious but IDK how minds work, not even the one I'm using.

Other fun interesting gets I got good: Jousting is the state sport of Maryland, My Maryland! Bring ur lances! (There's a jousting tourney every year in the park behind my place, Y'all come on down, heah!)

Nailed the dual-meaning words: lose dog Pounds / whooping Crane ur neck / mix solution / fish scale / coast along the coast

Also fun: Alabama state Bible, Red/Green Chili Peppers (Gave peppers; BMS >Chili); Bowdoin College - ME, Accordion> state dance = Polka = Wisconsin (long reach but figured lotta Poles there);

Seasonal stuff: Frankincense (from the Boswellia sacra tree resin; genus Boswellia is named for John Boswell, uncle of James, the biographer of Samuel Johnson) & Myrrh (Commiphora Myrrha tree); Tidings of Joy (not comfort as TOM, lol), Jesus of Nazareth, Caesar . Taxes (render them unto him); Isaiah, He was conceived of a virgin = Immanuel, meaning: 'God is with us'.

Studio logos: Paramount (Mountain with stars); Search light = 20thC Fox; Pegasus - Columbia Tri-Star; Warner Brothers = shield with their initials.

Twist on college category, got Georgetown as #1 law school in DC, Princeton as principal for particles in NJ was site of the Institute for Advanced Study on Einstein Drive, where smart guys figured out how to split hairs and then advanced to atoms; Johns (Don't forget that tricksy 'S'!) Hopkins #1 Med skool (today on Post scandal blooms when bogus congratulatory emails from Johns Hopkins were sent to non-selectees, prompting suicidal gestures in Maryland); and this city of Brotherly Love school obviously one of the many in Philly, Drexel was a good guess but Univ of PA was right, and Pittsburgh = Carnegie Mellon, a school named for a Scot steel tycoon who came to America with pennies in his pocket, and Andrew Mellon, Sec Treas under Harding / Coolidge / Hoover and US Ambassador to UK under Hoover).

Great stock Civil War cat; the usual suspects presented including: Control of Mississippi River 1862 (Anaconda Plan, Winfield Scott's Great Snake); Sherman's Marches, Pickett's Charge, Phil Sheridan's Ride (Shenandoah Valley, was pleased that he knew that one!), Alexander Stevens was VP of CSA and tried to negotiate a cease-fire with "unconditional surrender" U.S. Grant (Hiram his mother named him, but Ulysses the Army called him and that was final!).

Brugge = Belgium, 'Buda' = Hungary; Acre = Israel (Lach trash; remember the Crusades?); Zambezi River -> Victoria Falls (border between Zambia/Zimbabwe) & Monarch Butterfly reserve = Mexico (this is a ongoing tragedy as every year there is less of it and before long these amazing insects will be extinct.)

La Marseilleise... Stradivarius (wow! TS?!) ... Godzilla-1954...Alphabetically first book" = Minor Prophet Amos... "Wife & servant are the same, only differ in name" Lady Mary Chudleigh (NHO her but recognize the poem, hmmm!) Sonnets (of the Portugeuse) = Pavlov for Elizabeth Barrett Browning ...Death kindly stopped for me = Emily Dickinson (Recluse of Amherst).... Mr Darcy = Pemberly.

Altogether 47 for staring at Goats and FJ, another solid performance but hard to say 'win from the 4th ' with strong play and good score from the new champ, would be tough to beat. Not much lach trash in this game, took Israel, Stradivarius, and $16 +20% = $19.20, lol. largest common factor of 84, 105 = 21 (by inspection, 80 >100 common factor = 20 x 4 +1x4 >>84, 20 x 5 +1x5 >> 105. Some of these math puzzles are very stumpy but they have fairly simple solutions so the common method to solve these is look for a simple thread to pull that unravels the problem. Easier said, I know....

The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Kevin was introduced from Jacksonville and the Jags currently lead the Titans 14-10 with about eleven minutes to go. Could be a good night for the city. Forgive me if anyone has the game on DVR for delayed viewing. :lol:

If you are a taxi customer and the total is $16.00 do not hand the driver a $20 bill and ask for $.80 in return. There are times to go above a 20% tip. Easy math for the J! clue though.

20th Century Sculpture: I had Mount Rushmore, Stone Mountain and Crazy Horse

I've seen J! enough to know sometimes the FJ! clue even in regular play does not need to be overthought. Mount Rushmore, done. 9/11 Memorial? Uh, what was the category again? That was a 3rd place $1000 response.

Kurt: Tough night, at least it happened on night 2 and your FJ! response was in the proper century.

Borglum's work has held up well except here:

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Kevin was impressive tonight. It will be fun to see if he can avoid a sophomore slump tomorrow night.

I bet David realized the 9/11 memorial wasn't done in the 20th century about when the think music was ending...
davey

Post by davey »

Leander wrote:
jpr281 wrote:I don't remember exactly how the Wharton/UPenn question was worded but I thought they were asking for the business school. Wouldn't Wharton have been acceptable?
I think they were looking for Universities, so they wanted the university that Wharton was a part of.
The clue said "for undergrads," so Philly triggered Wharton but I assumed it was only a grad school so gave the university's name...Turns out they do have undergrads but yes, "university" was in the clue. So I got it right for not quite the right reason.
I found a lot of this game tough, a lot of mistakes...I did get the full Bible quote, tidings of [not comfort but] great joy.... Not surprised they accepted just "joy" but surprised Alex didn't give the full phrase...Then I turned around and said Ishmael for Immanuel... :oops:
Also said Vietnam Memorial for FJ, thinking the names would wear away, but in retrospect Maya Lin would not be asking for those prayers... :oops: :oops:
Last edited by davey on Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

MarkBarrett wrote: Kurt: Tough night, at least it happened on night 2 and your FJ! response was in the proper century.

Borglum's work has held up well except here:

I used to get Zod and Zog confused. I knew one was from Albania and one was from Krypton but I'd forget which was which.

I hope Kurt feels good about his Jeopardy! experience--a nice victory yesterday without any obvious "could have won if I did (X)" considerations today. Kevin played an impressive game.

I don't remember the wording of the UPenn question. I know they said "undergraduate", but I just looked up the fact that Wharton does have undergraduate students (who get an Economics degree from UPenn). I'd prompt--seemed like negbait as written.

I was 0 for 5 on FJ! last week but I'm 4 for 4 so far this week. True confessions: I got 7 as the gcd of 84 and 105, and I really should know better. I was also way too slow on the "same meaning" category. I'll blame it on my brain being fried from grading finals.