Wednesday, January 21, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: Wednesday, January 21, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by TenPoundHammer »

opusthepenguin wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:"Oh, shoot, that government organization that was made to thwart counterfeiting. I know this, it was in a previous FJ! What the hell is it?!?" Now I know how Opus feels when he keeps failing to remember "Gutzon Borglum".
Who?
You know, the guy they named THE HAWLEY-SMOOT TARIFF after.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

opusthepenguin wrote: So far it's unanimous, unless I missed a naysaying post. I agree. Mrs P was worried about the specification of "collectively." She felt that indicated they were looking for a collective noun, which "civil servants" isn't. I agreed that that's probably where they were steering things. But I didn't see how they could neg her response. It's one of those things where an alternate response fits the clue so they have to take it. And in this case, if Alex's notes didn't mention the alternate possibility, the writers weren't doing their jobs.
I also go for both, but there's some self-interest involved, since I also answered "civil servants" (then immediately facepalmed and said to self, "plurals aren't collective nouns, dolt!" so take that either way)

To use AP's term, this game was a three Subaru affair AFAIC. I was very annoyed that they failed to clear the J boards as I was pitching a perfecto on that one, finally justifying my initial impression of favorable board topics. And has no one yet commented on the lack of a MSB by the leader in FJ? :evil:
thenextofken
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by thenextofken »

My thought on civil service/servants: I think Alex would've responded with, "We'll accept that."

Regarding the profanity: Years ago, I started a new job as a traffic reporter, and I didn't want to say anything my church wouldn't like, since I was (and still am) the worship leader. Lo and behold, the sponsor of my first report was a show on FoxSports called, "The Best Damn Sports Show Period," and yes, I had to say it on the air.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Woof wrote:And has no one yet commented on the lack of a MSB by the leader in FJ? :evil:
Or second letting third back into the game...

I thought that maybe the leader made a Shoretegic wager, but I haven't looked at the numbers closely. I also am still not 100% sure that I recognize a Shore's conjecture game. I do have the flow chart here somewhere, though.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

bpmod wrote:
Woof wrote:And has no one yet commented on the lack of a MSB by the leader in FJ? :evil:

Brian
See my post at the top of page 2.
Woof

Post by Woof »

Category 13 wrote:
bpmod wrote:

Brian
See my post at the top of page 2.
Indeed, I missed that.
Woof

Post by Woof »

bpmod wrote:
I thought that maybe the leader made a Shoretegic wager, but I haven't looked at the numbers closely. I also am still not 100% sure that I recognize a Shore's conjecture game. I do have the flow chart here somewhere, though.
The Shoretegic bet would be between $1 and $3000, but no more (to guard against 3rd doubling up). His actual bet of $3400 was designed to offer a tie to Erin in the event that she bet $0, a scenario that strikes me as improbable in the extreme.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Wednesday, January 21, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILER

Post by seaborgium »

If second can't catch up to first without letting third back in, it's not a Shore's Conjecture game.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

bpmod wrote:

I know it's not because Bob Shore has not posted in this thread yet. That's pretty much all he ever posts, isn't it?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

goatman wrote:MX Missile = PeaceKEEPER not 'Peacemaker' which was the moniker for Colt's .45 Single-Action Army 'SAA' revolver, AKA; "The Gun That Won the West"
Apparently both the Winchester 1873 and the Colt SAA (ALSO released in 1873) share the same nickname.

If Jeopardy ever has a clue, "This gun maker's 1873 release is popularly known as "The Gun that Won the West"" there's gonna be trouble in them thar message boards.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Silverfox
Don't Step on My Tail!

Post by Silverfox »

A very good game for me. 20 correct in J, and 23 in DJ. And a correct response for the Final. If only every day could be this way. :D
Be alert. Stupid never takes a day off!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I knew Metamorphosis' general plot entirely from a FoxTrot story arc.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I knew Metamorphosis' general plot entirely from a FoxTrot story arc.
I thought it was from a particular Luann strip (please tell me, as a comics nerd, that you're familiar with the Great April Fools Day comics switch of 1997?)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dhkendall wrote:I thought it was from a particular Luann strip (please tell me, as a comics nerd, that you're familiar with the Great April Fools Day comics switch of 1997?)
I am. But I've never been a Luann fan, and our paper never carried Bizarro.

Also, ever since a certain superhero movie came out, I can't help but think that Luann DeGroot is actually a giant tree monster with a limited vocabulary.