Monday, January 26, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

makeabeilein
Jeopardy! Champion/Second-Best Performer

Re: Monday, January 26, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by makeabeilein »

ElendilPickle wrote:
floridagator wrote:That aggressive daily double in the first round served Christine well. But I think she should have been BMSed for answering "Unser" when the q was obviously going for Al Unser. (Would they accept "Who is Kennedy" if they asked "This man served as AG in his brother's cabinet"?) FJ was an instaget for me. Was anyone else annoyed by the way Brad's tie was strobing?
Since Bobby was mentioned in the clue, I think Unser was fine as an answer. Al Sr. is the only Unser who won four times at Indy.
"Versace" was not enough for Josh Qualls to get credit for answering the clue "She took over creative control of her family's design house in 1997, after her brother Gianni's death" just under two weeks ago.

I tend to agree with you about Unser, I just don't understand the distinction between these two cases. I feel like the Versace clue was just total one-word-answer-bait, and that the judges normally accept the single word on questions like it.
Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Winchell Factor »

cosmos wrote:
I pre-called Streisand because of the recent FJ where she was the correct response, and they started the category from the bottom which is where she was.
Yeah...me too....
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

Was Brad trying not to lead going into FJ?

'Cause that's what it looked like. But then his wager make no sense...
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MDaunt wrote:Was Brad trying not to lead going into FJ?

'Cause that's what it looked like. But then his wager make no sense...

Mixing up the beginning and end of WWI didn't help his chances, either.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bad Words is no Bad Santa, but the movie had fun with getting some of the kids to drop out of the contest. Jason Bateman gives it a good try although there is only one Billy Bob Thornton.

The writers burned Christine and me on the Sheryl Crow clue.

"All I Wanna Do" is tell you she worked as a backup singer for Michael Jackson & George Harrison; now have some fun

I recognized the song in quotes as a Sheryl Crow, but by the time the clue ended I was tricked into switching to Lauper.

It can be tricky telling a Hitler story though Christine pulled it off well. That's how you get the call after the audition. Hmmm, April 20 (I mean 4/20) is a day celebrated in San Francisco as well, especially in certain parks.

Brad seemed fairly comfortable with the Through the Looking Glass category. Oh, he was lucky enough to find a DD in there? What, only $1500? Well, okay enjoy that second place money and short run as champ. Christine (way to make the most of her one crack at a DD) thanks you.

I would not fault anyone for guessing Sacramento instead of San Francisco. People from the eastern U.S. did travel by land as well as others coming by water. It was closer to the original find at Sutter's Mill. Not everyone is going to have population facts from the 1800s at their fingertips.

Los Angeles instead of first instinct San Francisco? That is much harder to defend. Eric was destined for third anyway, so nothing changed.

If you watch today's live panel video here: http://www.thejeopardyfan.com/ (scroll down a bit) it's your chance to see and hear me at 8:45. (Spoiler for the 1/22 FJ! clue from Thursday alert)

For a bonus you can try to recognize some things I have collected on some shelves.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

I said "mic" instead of "microphone" as the word introduced in a 1684 paper for an object J! contestants wear. I know that's wrong, of course, but does anyone on J! actually speak the word "microphone" rather than the shortened word?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

MarkBarrett wrote: If you watch today's live panel video here: http://www.thejeopardyfan.com/ (scroll down a bit) it's your chance to see and hear me at 8:45. (Spoiler for the 1/22 FJ! clue from Thursday alert)

For a bonus you can try to recognize some things I have collected on some shelves.
I'll take "dust" for $200 please, Alex. :)

Nice to see you on there, it's good to have a regular boardie on there, much better than that other regular boardie, that Canadian who talks funny, don't know how he got through security. :) (Not the host Canadian, I'm always in awe of how he runs it, and does so great at those.) Hope to see you on more of them!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
davey

Post by davey »

Robert K S wrote:
bpmod wrote:Not only that, it wasn't "this word", but "this website with a 'bad word' in its name".
Really? Because when the clue came up, I thought, "They're really looking only for 'rotten,' but they'll accept 'Rotten Tomatoes'," and that's exactly what happened.
I didn't see or hear it because of the blizzard, but it's up on the archive as
The movie "Bad Words" got a 65% from the website with this bad word in its name
The show was back on for Double Jeopardy, in time for me to go for Sacramento... :oops:
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

Woppy T wrote:I don't think they should have accepted "Last Crusade." It's common shorthand among Indy fans, but if they were asking for the first movie they wouldn't take just "raiders." Unless they were just assuming he knew the full title and was just correcting the previous response of "Indiana jones and the final crusade."
I agree, but there's precedent: They've accepted "Order of the Phoenix" rather than the full title before (Book of the Century, $400).
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

doihavetoreally wrote:Had sacremento for FJ. Wasn't Sutter mill near sacremento?
Yes and much of the TOM in this clue is quite vague and could be either, I dithered over them for a while myself, the "15th biggest city" points at SF though.
Sacramento was settled at the same time, around 1846, on Sutter's land at the Sacramento and American rivers. After gold was discovered in Jan 1848, apparently folks just moved in, squatted on his ranch and took over, it was insane. The 'Forty-niners' moniker describes the year AFTER the first discovery, when it really took off, more negbait. Sutter's Fort had about 200 folks living in it when the Mex-AM War kicked off in 1846, so the size of these towns was identical, confusing negbait if you knew too much, only it didn't grow as fast, still under 10K by 1860. It was the gold rush for sure; briefly considered Nevada Comstock Lode and the Klondike Rush as well but the TOM for 15th Biggest just didn't fit outside Cali. Remember CA was part of Mexico until 1848 Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo, so the non-citizen folks living there were immigrant residents of Mexico (they didn't get green cards then, either); guests of the Mexican government. Cali was granted statehood in 1850. BTW there never was a "Bear Republic," it was a 19th Century urban legend, but the bear on the state flag stuck! Texas & Vermont were sovereign nations.
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
arekp01
Contributor

Post by arekp01 »

Hey this is Eric, the lowly 3rd place finisher. Once the FJ question was revealed, I knew I was done because it was too easy. I was just hoping that the obvious answer of San Fran was somehow wrong. Sacramento was probably a better answer for this type of guess, but you know, it was just as wrong as LA. Should've just stuck with the right answer, and if I was against weaker opponents it might have turned out differently.

Interesting note, the entire time that Trebek is talking to us at the end, he's telling us that the clause about the increase in population resulting from a discovery was added by him at the last minute because he felt it would be too difficult otherwise (with 1860 leading people to think Civil War and thus the East Coast). Definitely made me upset because the clause made it rather obvious, but then again my hole was already dug.

And to the Last Crusade folks, you're kind of right. I truly thought the whole movie series was similar to Raiders of the Lost Ark in that Indiana Jones was not in the title. But do you really think that should have been a wrong answer? Obviously we all knew it was an Indiana Jones flick and I was correcting her mistake.

In summary, those buzzers are freaking tough.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I came very close to saying Sacramento, but ultimately went with San Francisco because of "#15 in the country". However, part of me was worried that San Francisco wasn't as incredibly tiny as 200 people in 1846.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $31,800 (a tie against the field)
40 R/1 W (fell for Tweedle-Dee/Tweedle-Dum negbait)
DD: 2/3 (considered helium, but ultimately went for nitrogen); FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: queen, Cleveland Clinic
Too Timid: garden, St. Jude

FYI, St. Jude, which was founded by actor/comedian Danny Thomas, is named for the Catholic patron saint of lost causes.
Sprinkles are for winners.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

goatman wrote:
doihavetoreally wrote:Had sacremento for FJ. Wasn't Sutter mill near sacremento?
Yes and much of the TOM in this clue is quite vague and could be either, I dithered over them for a while myself, the "15th biggest city" points at SF though.
It probably helps that I grew up in California, but I thought the TOM was really strong here. It basically reads as "This city became the 15th most populous city in the U.S. practically overnight due to the California gold rush." Sacramento's never been anywhere near that large, and San Francisco's the one where it was a big enough deal that they named their football team after those fortune-seeking immigrants.
Sprinkles are for winners.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

davey wrote:
Robert K S wrote:
bpmod wrote:Not only that, it wasn't "this word", but "this website with a 'bad word' in its name".
Really? Because when the clue came up, I thought, "They're really looking only for 'rotten,' but they'll accept 'Rotten Tomatoes'," and that's exactly what happened.
That's how I remember it and I thought "rotten tomatoes" should have been negged. That's two words.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

davey wrote:
Robert K S wrote:
... it's up on the archive as
I stand corrected. I could have sworn that they were looking for the website. Either way, Robert's original argument is correct.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
davey wrote:
Robert K S wrote:
That's how I remember it and I thought "rotten tomatoes" should have been negged. That's two words.
Jeopardy has a pretty long standing tradition of not negging for things like that. Whether you agree with it or not, you can't say they're inconsistent in this area like they are with the prompting on JFK thing.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

arekp01 wrote:Hey this is Eric, the lowly 3rd place finisher. Once the FJ question was revealed, I knew I was done because it was too easy. I was just hoping that the obvious answer of San Fran was somehow wrong. Sacramento was probably a better answer for this type of guess, but you know, it was just as wrong as LA. Should've just stuck with the right answer, and if I was against weaker opponents it might have turned out differently.

Interesting note, the entire time that Trebek is talking to us at the end, he's telling us that the clause about the increase in population resulting from a discovery was added by him at the last minute because he felt it would be too difficult otherwise (with 1860 leading people to think Civil War and thus the East Coast). Definitely made me upset because the clause made it rather obvious, but then again my hole was already dug.

And to the Last Crusade folks, you're kind of right. I truly thought the whole movie series was similar to Raiders of the Lost Ark in that Indiana Jones was not in the title. But do you really think that should have been a wrong answer? Obviously we all knew it was an Indiana Jones flick and I was correcting her mistake.

In summary, those buzzers are freaking tough.
Welcome, Eric!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Category 13 wrote:
econgator wrote:
Category 13 wrote:
ElendilPickle wrote: Since Bobby was mentioned in the clue, I think Unser was fine as an answer. Al Sr. is the only Unser who won four times at Indy.
Did I miss something? I don't remember 'Bobby' appearing in the clue.
It was.
Wow, I don't know how I missed that. My pinion gear must have broke a tooth.
That comes from speed-shifting, your CNS mechanic will thank you for using the thought clutch when you change mental gears!!
For a sec I also expected BMS, then after a double-clutch and redlined downshift, realized since Bobby was the TOM, only Al remained as response. :idea:
Floridagator wrote:
(Would they accept "Who is Kennedy" if they asked "This man served as AG in his brother's cabinet"?)
Not with that wording, but would def take 'RFK', doubt they accept "Kennedy" for: "He served as AG In JFK's cabinet" since there was a Ted Kennedy, this would not be an exclusive expression, so would almost certainly still call for a BMS.

w/r to makeabeilein's post;
"Versace" was not enough for Josh Qualls to get credit for answering the clue "She took over creative control of her family's design house in 1997, after her brother Gianni's death" just under two weeks ago.
from the wiki:
After the death of Gianni Versace in 1997 his sister Donatella Versace, formerly vice-president, took over as creative director and his older brother Santo Versace became CEO.
So "Donnatella" was required to BMS w/r to her brother Santo. The TOM here was "took over creative control" rather than 'became CEO'; they excerpted straight from the wiki! Tough stuff! :geek:
Last edited by goatman on Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
sbseagle

Post by sbseagle »

I thought "6-letter arm muscles" was a really confusing clue for "bicep," when "tricep" is 6-letters. I know that hammer curls are for biceps, but that was still a silly way to go about that answer. Should have left "6-letters" out.