Tuesday, January 27, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, January 27, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6992, 2015-01-27

CONTESTANTS
Brian Quinn, a management consultant from Boston, Massachusetts
Jennifer Hindert, a teacher from San Antonio, Texas
Christine Kim, a retired homemaker from Greenwich, Connecticut (whose 1-day cash winnings total $27,401)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Hi, everyone. What a marvelous debut for Christine on yesterday's program--27,401 bucks. All right, Jennifer and Brian, you know you've got your work cut out for you if you want to replace her as champion. But good luck. Here we go. The Jeopardy! Round, as always, comes first, and today it has these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ABBR-"E"-VIATIONS (5/5)
THE CITY OF... (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
RENTING (5/5)
DISNEY'S 7 DWARFS (5/5)
DISCOVERIES IN THE SCIENCES (3/5) (Alex: Each response will be a word that can be found in the particular science we refer to.)
THE TITAN MISSILE (4/5) (Jimmy: Perhaps the mightiest weapon of the Cold War. We're fortunate it was never used.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Brian: 12 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Christine: 9 R, 0 W
Jennifer: 4 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,200

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Christine: $3,800
Brian: $2,600
Jennifer: $1,800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: I'm gonna make the assumption there's a good story here for Brian Quinn. He is a management consultant who once delivered a baby in west Africa.

Brian: That's right, Alex. I don't think anybody planned it that way, um, but I was volunteering in a hospital, um, sort of getting in the way, but happened to be in the right place at the right time.

Alex: She did all the work, didn't she?

Brian: She really did. I was just there.

Alex: Yeah. Okay.

Alex: Jennifer Hindert is a teacher who once, it says here, chaperoned a marching band, and I've got to figure that that's a handful. Where was the marching band going?

Jennifer: The marching band was in New York City...

Alex: Ooh.

Jennifer: ...on Thanksgiving.

Alex: Hello.

Jennifer: So it was quite an undertaking.

Alex: Was it a big band?

Jennifer: About 200 kids in the band.

Alex: And tell me you were not the only chaperone.

Jennifer: No, certainly not.

Alex: No? Okay, good for you.

Alex: Christine Kim. We keep introducing you as a retired homemaker. What's a retired homemaker?

Christine: Well, I'm trying to retire. I've sent my youngest kids off to college, and I try to retire, but sometimes they come back.

[Laughter]

Alex: And do you resent that they come back?

Christine: I love seeing them. I don't like their dirty dishes left in the sink.

Alex: Aha.

Christine: And the sneakers on the floor.

Alex: I understand.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Brian found the Daily Double on the 19th clue. Christine had $3,800, Jennifer had $1,800, and Brian was at $3,400. Brian wagered $1,500.

THE CITY OF... $800: Gaudi

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
DISCOVERIES IN THE SCIENCES $600: A dress bottom inside the study of the elements

DISCOVERIES IN THE SCIENCES $1000: An involuntary movement inside the science of data collection & analysis

THE CITY OF... $1000: White Nights, in Russia

THE CITY OF... $400: The Big Shoulders
(Brian: What is Philadelphia?)

THE TITAN MISSILE $200: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew presents from the Titan Missile Museum in Arizona.) Deployed in the 1960s, the Titan II had what's still the largest warhead ever on a U.S. missile--9 of these explosive units, or 600 times the force of the 1945 Hiroshima bomb
(Brian: What is an atomic bomb?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Brian: $8,300
Christine: $4,600
Jennifer: $2,000
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, January 27, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
TASTY SONGS (1/3)
ISLAND FACTS (3/5)
FOR RICHARD (4/5)
THE NEW YORK TIMES BEST SELLERS LISTS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
COLLECTIBLES (3/4, including 1 correct Daily Double)
GREAT BALLS OF "IRE" (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Brian: 13 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Christine: 6 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Jennifer: 2 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $7,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Brian snagged the next Daily Double on the 21st clue. Christine had $6,600, Jennifer had $4,000, and Brian was at $16,700. Brian wagered $700.

THE NEW YORK TIMES BEST SELLERS LISTS $1200: In 2014, 20 years after it was published, this book about the origins of Ebola was back on the nonfiction list

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Christine who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 27th clue. Christine had $7,000, Jennifer had $3,200, and Brian was at $21,000. Christine made it a True Daily Double, wagering $7,000.

COLLECTIBLES $2000: Perhaps you'd like to add to your collection the vases & clock in iconic light blue jasper from this company
[NOTE: The correct response name was visible in the face of the clock in the picture.]
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ISLAND FACTS $1200: It's not a stretch that Kiritimati, with the largest land area of any atoll, is in this Pacific nation

ISLAND FACTS $1600: The tallest island peak, Puncak Jaya rises 16,024 feet above sea level on this, the world's second largest island
(Christine: What is Sumatra?)
(Brian: What is Java?)

FOR RICHARD $1200: This English scholar was the first European to discover Lake Tanganyika

TASTY SONGS $800: "And I'll take with me the warmth of thee and a taste of" this, "tasting much sweeter than wine"

TASTY SONGS $1200: Creme tangerine & apple tart are mentioned in the Beatles song called "Savoy" this sweet

COLLECTIBLES $1200: The horse seen here is one of the pieces available exclusively to members of this company's Crystal Society
(Christine: What is Waterford?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Brian: $21,000
Christine: $14,000
Jennifer: $3,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BEST ACTOR OSCARS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds (exactly) for first place.
Brian: Wager $7,000 for the tie. Christine has cause to bet either nothing or everything, and you can't afford to lose by $1 to a nothing bet.
Christine: It's all or nothing, baby. You have even hope of returning to battle Brian next game if you wager $14,000 or $0. Either way, you're banking on a bet to tie by Brian and the ability to prevail in the future.
Jennifer: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. You can wager as much as you feel like, but since you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper, you might just want to wager $0.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
1 of 2 performers to win 2 Best Actor Oscars for films that won Best Picture

FINAL SCORES
Jennifer: $3,200 - $3,200 = $0 (Who is Tom Hanks?) (3rd place)
Christine: $14,000 - $0 = $14,000 (Who is Daniel Day Lewis?) (27402-day champion: $14,000)
Brian: $21,000 - $7,001 = $13,999 (Who is DiCaprio?) (2nd place)
(Alex: [To Jennifer] Tom won two Oscars, but only one of them was for Best Picture.)
(Alex: [To Christine] Daniel Day-Lewis won three Oscars, but none of them in a best film.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $10,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Brian: $20,800, 25 R (including 2 DDs), 3 W
Christine: $9,000, 15 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Jennifer: $3,200, 6 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $33,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Brian: 25/60 = .417
Christine: 15/59 = .254
Jennifer: 6/58 = .103
Team: 46/63 = .730

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
THE TITAN MISSILE $400: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew presents from the Titan Missile Museum in Arizona.) Though we may think of them as towers for storing grain, they're also underground structures where missiles are housed; Titan was protected by a 750-ton door

THE TITAN MISSILE $600: (Kelly of the Clue Crew presents from the Titan Missile Museum in Arizona.) The stage I engine of a Titan II missile has the thrust of two 747s at full throttle, so in about 30 minutes, it could cover the 6,100 miles from here in Arizona to this world capital
(Alex: Yes, with less than a minute now.)

THE TITAN MISSILE $800: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew presents from the Titan Missile Museum in Arizona.) With 54 Titan II missiles on alert from 1963 to '87, & the U.S.S.R. racing to maintain missile equality, MAD, short for this doctrine of reciprocal deterrence, was in full effect

THE TITAN MISSILE $1000: (Kelly of the Clue Crew presents from the Titan Missile Museum in Arizona.) This president, associated with a military buildup, including a missile defense initiative, was the one who decided to end the Titan II program as part of modernizing the U.S. nuclear arsenal

THE NEW YORK TIMES BEST SELLERS LISTS $1600: In the 21st century, graphic novels & this Japanese genre each got their own list in the New York Times
(Jennifer: What is anime?)

COLLECTIBLES $800: Tom Hanks not only collects vintage manual ones of these, but he also uses them for memos, notes, etc.
(Alex: Yes, with less than a minute now.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Barcelona
hem (in chemistry)
tic (in statistics)
St. Petersburg
Chicago
megatons
The Hot Zone
Wedgwood
Kiribati
New Guinea
Sir Richard Burton
honey
truffle
Swarovski
Marlon Brando or Dustin Hoffman
a silo
Moscow
mutually assured destruction
Reagan
manga
typewriters
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Best Actor Oscars
1 of 2 performers to win 2 Best Actor Oscars for films that won Best Picture.

Spoiler
Who is Marlon Brando or Dustin Hoffman? Jennifer said Tom Hanks; Christine said Daniel Day-Lewis; Brian said DiCaprio.

Brian Quinn: $21,000-$7,001=$13,999
Christine Kim: $14,000-$0=$14,000...now a 2-day champion with $41,401
Jennifer Hindert: $3,200-$3,200=$0
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I think we need to dub Christine "Our Lady of the Bold Desperate Daily Double." That was quite a maneuver that let her repeat as champ. Wedgwood it is! But what an effing TOUGH FJ. No wonder all of them missed. I guess our brains are just not indexed that way. I guessed Henry Fonda. There was only one way for Christine to win, and it happened.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
evanakm
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by evanakm »

floridagator wrote: what an effing TOUGH FJ. No wonder all of them missed. I guess our brains are just not indexed that way. I guessed Henry Fonda. There was only one way for Christine to win, and it happened.
I went with Ralph Fiennes for The English Patient. I went straight to the movie that got all the Oscar buzz when I was a teenager, and couldn't really get my mind out of the mid 90s.

Did anybody else default to the pop-culture of their younger years, whatever that era happens to be?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Titan Missile: "Moscow" is highly overvalued for $600, don't you think?

I thought it was Mutual Assured Destruction, Brian gave the adverb version, was he right? Was I wrong in answering the way I did?

Spent half of FJ thinking of how one person can win 2 Best Actor Oscars for the same role in the same picture (because I thought that's what the question was asking), wound up WAGging DiCaprio because I know that Titanic won a metric shitton of awards that year. Only understood the question after Alex's comments on first reveal.

Waiting to see what Keith will say about today's wagers (and Penultimate wager)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
forzagiersy
Contributor

Post by forzagiersy »

evanakm wrote:
floridagator wrote: what an effing TOUGH FJ. No wonder all of them missed. I guess our brains are just not indexed that way. I guessed Henry Fonda. There was only one way for Christine to win, and it happened.
I went with Ralph Fiennes for The English Patient. I went straight to the movie that got all the Oscar buzz when I was a teenager, and couldn't really get my mind out of the mid 90s.

Did anybody else default to the pop-culture of their younger years, whatever that era happens to be?
I guessed Robert De Niro (because my first thought was someone that had been in either The Godfather or Part II), only to look afterwards that he won Best Supporting Actor for Part II. Shoulda gone with Old Vito instead of Young Vito, I guess. Hoffman slipped past me because I thought he won Best Actor for Tootsie (which certainly did not win Best Picture), not Kramer v. Kramer.

LT: St Petersburg, Chicago, Tic (boy that was a weird category, eh?), a couple others that slipped my mind.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

I had Nicholson, who won two Oscars for Best Picture winners – One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and Terms of Endearment – but the latter was a Supporting Actor win. Oof.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Went with Russell Crowe, even though I was pretty sure he didn't get it for A Beautiful Mind.

The fact that both pairs were made up of films from 2 different decades made this one even tougher.
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

I'd be interested in seeing a poll question asking whether people tried to legitimately figure out the FJ! response vs those who just picked a plausible name. I fall in the latter category, and unfortunately I landed on Nicholson.

I am still an inexperienced jeopardist so I inevitably feel that if I did well, the boards were easy. Exhibit A: today.

The city of... i got all but Chicago, never heard that nickname. How many nicknames do you need, Windy/Second City?

Seven dwarfs, again all but one, this time Grumpy, who I called Cranky by accident.

Discoveries in the sciences... wonderful, it's one of *those* categories. ugh. I got them all except the first one, because I thought it was a "answer is made up of letters in the word" bologna categories.

Tasty songs: ever heard of the Beatles, contestants? Yikes, "honey" and "truffle" were two glaring misses.

Island facts: all but New Guinea, I said Borneo.

NYT bestsellers: The Goblet of Fire came out in 2000? I thought it would have been later, for that reason I clammed rather than blurting out Narnia.

Great balls of ire: could've done that in my sleep, 5/5.

When Christine went all in I was terrified that she'd blow it and have to bow out of Final, but props to her for pulling out a response I have never heard of. I knew we were in for some tasty wagering with 14,000/21,000 on the scoreboard. Boy, what a finish.

So, so far we know that Christine's kid likens her to Hitler, and she in turn loves having an empty nest. Love it.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Lach Trash: hem, tic, Chicago, Kiribati, honey.

I couldn't remember what the study of reptiles and amphibians was, but I still went with "pet" anyway. Kudos to the two writers for a wordplay category that required some mental work, but could still be accessible if you knew only one of the two paths. I ran it easily.

"Happy" cost me the run. For some reason I thought there was a dwarf named "Cheerful". Guess it's been a while since I saw Snow White.

Also got all but "Hot Zone" (NHOI) in Best Sellers, and all but "shire" in "Ire". I know of many towns ending in -shire, but didn't know that "shire" by itself is a word.

I saw Nuremberg trials when combing some old threads earlier today, and still didn't get it when it came up today.

Rent was entirely over my head. No one in my family has ever rented a property.

"Explosive units" had me thinking bombs too, not a unit of measurement.

"Oh, Russia, shoot, what's the capital? Not St. Petersburg, they already used that." Derp. No excuse.

"Savoy Truffle" was way too obscure IMO.

I thought the Swarovski clue was negbait for Waterford.

No guess. This FJ! was completely opaque. Could've used a lot of TOM, or a TOM at all.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

As a Chicagoan, I was personally offended than no one got "City of Big Shoulders."

I guessed Tom Hanks since I guess thought Philidelphia won best picture. Leonardo DiCaprio is pretty famous on the internet for never having won a Best Actor award.
NYCScribbler
Harbinger of the Outchange

Post by NYCScribbler »

FJ! is one of those you only get if you decided to memorize lists for your run, IMO.

Can I just say I loved how Christine played that?
"Who said anything about a horse?!"

"Also, how the bleep did I forget Russia even exists?!"- TPH
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

This was an interesting game. Brian played really well (until FJ) and he looked like he was going to win in a runaway. Then Christine doubled her money on that late DD and won the game on a zero bet in FJ. I got 37 clues correct including 6 triple stumpers: tic, Chicago, megatons, New Guinea, truffle, and Swarovsky. I didn't get FJ; I guessed Tom Hanks.
Last edited by Abraxas on Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Lach Trash: hem, tic, Chicago, Kiribati, honey.
"Savoy Truffle" was way too obscure IMO.
The White Album isn't too obscure I think, although with "A Taste of Honey", it meant Beatles fans got two gimmes.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

Hooray for contestants who understand how to use DD and FJ wagers. I also couldn't believe it when she said her kids are all off to college ... I pegged her for younger than that.

"Savoy Truffle" is not obscure for any Beatles fan, I was singing the song along with the clue.

I also went for the plausible name theory and tried Pacino (5 nominations for lead, 1 win for Scent of a Woman).
danspartan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by danspartan »

That was awesome, Christine played the DD and FJ perfectly. Also interested in tonights final wager, got excited as soon as I saw the exact 2/3.

New rule makes things awfully tough on the leader. Easy 7K wager under the old rules. I *think* 7001 is correct cause he auto-wins if gets it correct, otherwise he drops into possible 50/50 chances on the buzz-in --really depends on how frequently we think 2nd bets 0 vs. everything. Gonna have to try some odds in the old spreadsheet later.

I had Hanks for Gump and Philadelphia, but also did say out loud Hoffman for Kramer and .....just a feeling (Rainman?). Would have written down Hanks since I came up with the two movies names while I was processing.
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

forzagiersy wrote: I guessed Robert De Niro (because my first thought was someone that had been in either The Godfather or Part II), only to look afterwards that he won Best Supporting Actor for Part II.
That, plus Raging Bull didn't win Best Picture.
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

This FJ category was wheelhouse for me since I'm into Academy Awards history. I instantly went with Brando. :)
I love the Godfather.

Well, the no ties rule came to bite the leader.
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool
cd2m
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by cd2m »

Did anybody else notice in the video daily double, that the name "Wedgewood" was printed on the face of the clock on the right?

I haven't ever heard of Wedgewood, but even I knew the answer!