Wednesday, February 11, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, February 11, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7003, 2015-02-11

2015 Teachers Tournament semifinal game 3.

CONTESTANTS
Cathy Farrell, a high school science teacher from Wyandotte, Michigan
Mary Bayer, a middle and high school drama teacher from Hoffman Estates, Illinois
Colin O'Grady, a high school English teacher from Alexandria, Virginia

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Hey, folks. Welcome aboard the last of our semifinal matches. Whoever wins today doesn't get much time to rest, because they come back tomorrow to face Adam and Jennifer in the two-day finals for $100,000 in the Teachers Tournament for this year. Colin, Mary, Cathy, good to see you again, and good luck. Here we go. Let's find out what the categories are...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
GENERAL SCIENCE (5/5)
FASHION (5/5)
WOODEN PLOTS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
TV TEACHERS (5/5)
HERE'S YOUR REPORT CARD (4/5)
2 Ds & AN F! (4/5) (Alex: Each correct response will contain...)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Cathy: 18 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Mary: 7 R, 0 W
Colin: 3 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,000

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Cathy: $5,200
Mary: $3,000
Colin: $200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: When you're a teacher, you give out homework. Sometimes the homework is not turned in, and you get some pretty exciting excuses. Cathy Farrell, what's one of the most unusual excuses or explanations you've heard?

Cathy: It was my second year of teaching, and I had a boy come in, and he said, "Look, I know everybody always says 'The dog ate my homework', and teachers tell us that they don't believe it, and I'm not trying to tell you that, but we just got a puppy, and I swear, he peed on my homework. My mom wouldn't let me throw it away, in case I have to bring it in." And I looked at him, and I said, "You know, here's another copy. Just do it for tomorrow. Um, however, if this ever happens again, then I will tell you it's still late, because you should have known not to let the puppy pee on it in the first place."

Alex: That's it. You've got to deal with these situations.

Cathy: That's right.

Alex: Don't let them get away with stuff.

Cathy: [Overlapping] But I didn't want it back!

Alex: Mary Bayer is from Hoffman Estates, Illinois--teaches at one of the oldest independent schools in the country?

Mary: Yes, um, our school was chartered in 1839...

Alex: Wow.

Mary: ...so last year, we celebrated our 175th anniversary.

Alex: Big school, small school?

Mary: It's a small, um, pre-K through 12th-grade school, and it's always been, uh, nondenominational and coeducational. The first degree was given to, uh, a woman.

Alex: All right. Way to go. Good for you.

Alex: Colin O'Grady is a high-school English teacher, uh, who was named the winner of the American Shakespeare Center's 2014 Words in Action.

Colin: Yes, yes.

Alex: What is that?

Colin: Uh, it's an award they give to one teacher in the country every year, uh, for bringing Shakespeare to life in the classroom. Um, and all of the pool of teachers they pull from are all nominated by students, so I think that made it even more special for me to win, because my kids nominated me.

Alex: Now, bringing Shakespeare to life--how do you do that? With costumes, with music, what?

Colin: Yes, all of the above. I mean, whatever it takes to let them play with the play so that they're not being told by, y'know, a scholar or some critic that, "This is the interpretation of Hamlet." I let them sort of make up what they think the play should be, and then they take ownership of it. And it's more fun that way, and it belongs to them.

Alex: So according to them, Hamlet was an ex-football player?

Colin: [Skeptically] If they want, I suppose, maybe, if you can pull it from the text.

[Laughter]

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Cathy found the Daily Double on the 27th clue. Colin was in the hole with -$600, Mary had $4,000, and Cathy was at $9,400. Cathy wagered $4,000.

WOODEN PLOTS $400: This kids' book opens with "Mole spring-cleaning his little home"

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
HERE'S YOUR REPORT CARD $800: Debuting in 1936, this product-evaluating magazine had 24 black & white pages with, of course, no ads
(Colin: What is Consumer Report?)
[Initially ruled correct; reversed before the Daily Double at clue 27]

2 Ds & AN F! $200: Sight-obscuring execution offering
(Alex: Would you like [*]?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Cathy: $13,400
Mary: $5,400
Colin: $400
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, February 11, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
AFRICAN-AMERICAN HISTORY (4/5)
SEAS THE DAY (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
FOREIGN WORDS & PHRASES (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
ON A LAST NAME BASIS (3/5)
SCULPTURE (3/5)
SONGS OF WINE & ROSES (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Cathy: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Colin: 7 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Mary: 5 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 7
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $10,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Cathy snagged the next Daily Double on the 14th clue. Colin had $5,200, Mary had $7,000, and Cathy was at $16,600. Cathy wagered $5,000.

FOREIGN WORDS & PHRASES $1600: It's the Italian word for "You're welcome", not "You're with child"
(Alex: Cathy?)
(Cathy: I should know it, and I don't.)
(Alex: You say grazie for "thank you", and [*]. [*]. All right, you drop down but you have a good lead, though. Go again.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Colin who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 19th clue. Colin had $6,800, Mary had $7,800, and Cathy was at $11,600. Colin wagered $2,000.

SEAS THE DAY $1600: Both Aussies & Kiwis refer to this sea between their countries as "The Ditch"
(Colin: What is the Queensland Sea?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ON A LAST NAME BASIS $1200: An 1856 presidential campaign ribbon paired this last name of Republican John C. "& Freedom"
(Cathy: What is Calhoun?)

ON A LAST NAME BASIS $2000: The Stooge seen here used this 4-letter last name
(Alex: That Stooge was Larry, his last name is [*]. Just [*].)

FOREIGN WORDS & PHRASES $400: Often used as a toast, it's Spanish for "health"

FOREIGN WORDS & PHRASES $2000: This 2-word Greek phrase means the common people, but it has been improperly used to mean the upper crust of society

AFRICAN-AMERICAN HISTORY $800: Freed slave Richard Allen was the founder & first bishop of the church known by these 3 initials for short

SCULPTURE $1600: This Brit's works are on display throughout the U.S., including his "Double Standing Figure" at Vassar College

SCULPTURE $2000: This Romanian-born sculptor created 27 works featuring birds, including 16 versions of "Bird in Space"

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Cathy: $16,800
Mary: $8,600
Colin: $6,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
REFERENCE BOOK MAKERS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Cathy: Wager $401 to cover Mary, but no more than $3,999 so as not to fall behind Colin's doubled score.
Mary: You have the hope of surpassing Cathy if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $8,201 to force Cathy to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Colin.
Colin: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1863 he used the epigraph "I have gathered other... men's flowers, & nothing but the thread that binds them is mine own"

FINAL SCORES
Colin: $6,400 - $2,300 = $4,100 (Who is Thoreau) (2nd place)
Mary: $8,600 - $8,600 = $0 (Who is Audubon?) (3rd place)
Cathy: $16,800 - $1,000 = $15,800 (Who was Webster?) (Finalist)
(Alex: [To Cathy] Thinking of the dictionary. No, you should've been thinking of quotations. [*]; Bartlett's Quotations. What did it cost you? Not much, $1,000. You're gonna be a finalist. You're gonna play for $100,000. Come over here, Cathy Farrell. You were very, very good in this game. Congratulations. And now, here are the two players you get to face, starting tomorrow:)
(Adam: Adam Elkana-Hale, St. Louis.)
(Jennifer: Jennifer Giles, Longmont, Colorado.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $11,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Cathy: $18,200, 27 R (including 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Mary: $8,600, 12 R, 0 W
Colin: $8,400, 10 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $35,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Cathy: 27/60 = .450
Mary: 12/58 = .207
Colin: 10/59 = .169
Team: 49/63 = .778

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
GENERAL SCIENCE $400: (Sarah of the Clue Crew delivers the clue from the NASA Glenn Research Ctr in Cleveland, OH.) I'm at the Simulated Lunar Operations Facility; NASA re-invented the wheel: a wire wheel with springs molds around rocks & creates better traction with more of this, surface resistance to relative motion

GENERAL SCIENCE $1000: This "action" draws liquid up a narrow tube placed vertically in the liquid
[Applause for Cathy's run of the category.]

FASHION $600: L.L. Bean says, "From shirts to sheets, we're your... headquarters" for items made of this warm material
(Colin: What is fleece?)

FASHION $1000: These riding breeches named for a city in India are more form-fitting today than they used to be

SCULPTURE $1200: The work seen here is an example of this type of sculpture, in which an image is slightly raised above the surface

AFRICAN-AMERICAN HISTORY $1200: This composer learned the basics of music as a boy in 19th century Texarkana

AFRICAN-AMERICAN HISTORY $2000: Hiram Revels, the first black U.S. senator, represented this state, but was too late to be Jeff Davis' colleague
(Colin: What is Virginia?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
The Wind in the Willows
Consumer Reports
a blindfold
prego
the Tasman Sea
Frémont
Fine
salud
hoi polloi
AME
Henry Moore
Constantin Brâncuși
John Bartlett
friction
capillary action
flannel
jodhpurs
bas-relief
(Scott) Joplin
Mississippi
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Reference Book Makers
In 1863 he used the epigraph "I have gathered...other men's flowers, & nothing but the thread that binds them is mine own".

Spoiler
Who is John Bartlett? Colin said Thoreau; Mary said Audubon; Cathy said Webster.

Cathy Farrell: $16,800-$1,000=$15,800...Finalist
Mary Bayer: $8,600-$8,600=$0
Colin O'Grady: $6,400-$2,300=$4,100
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

That was a hot game! Cathy rose quickly to dominate the game, but her hubris on the DDs was nearly her undoing. She had a runaway when she found that DD in DJ but something told me the gutsy bet that served her well in the J! round would not help, and from then on, she did not have a runaway. $3000 would have been a sensible bet at that point; $5000 was pure hubris.

As I predicted last week, Collin did not hold up against two strong contestants. That was nasty getting negged on an S; it wasn't the first time it's happened this week. Interesting that bas relief came up as a question today after it was pivotal in a contestant's defeat on Monday.

I got Bartlett within a few seconds. Something about Cathy's visible squirming both during FJ and the DJ DD suggests that she is too attached to the idea that the game is about her, which might not serve her well in the finals.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't second have exactly half of first's total, meaning second had to go all in (done) and first had to wager $0 and take her chances on the tie breaker? (not done). If that was indeed the case, I expect a lot of reading when I get back to this thread later this evening.

Took me a while to get the correct answer, but when I started to clear my mind of other people that wouldn't fall under "reference books", I got to Bartlett with about 10-15 seconds to spare. Not 100% sure if I could have done that under The Lights though, but I"m pleased with my get at home.

Regardless of if her wager was ill-advised or not, Cathy did very well in the game and I was impressed. Should be a great final - when I was asked during the Jeopardy Fan's panel discussion if there was a prediction, I said no one really stood out for me. During the semis, though, three people did stand out, but those were the three that won their games. Now that it's finals time, pitting the three standouts against each other, I"m back to having no clue how to call this one.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

That "Prego" clue made me mad. Sure as hell wouldn't have picked it to be a DD, way too cutesy. But as mentioned above Cathy got too giddy.

Not a great game for me. Although I did get "salud". Blah blah blah these people are teaching our kids? Blah blah blah outrage!!!

Picked Audubon for FJ but knew it was wrong.

Psyched for the final.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I thought the "blindfold" clue was too obtuse, and it's a Bad Thing when $200 is the only TS.

I was 4/5 there, as well as Foreign Phrases and Music, missing "hoi polloi" (NHOI) and Oasis (heard of them but don't know any of their songs).

NHO Boy Meets World or Community.

0/5 in Seas. What led to Turkey at $400?

Salamander and Amy Winehouse were there but I couldn't pull them in time.

Ooh, I insta-got a Triple Stumper FJ?!
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Cathy played very well. I had 37 correct responses including three triple stumpers: blindfold, hoi polloi, and A.M.E. I also got the missed DD of Tasman Sea. I didn't get FJ; I guessed Webster instead.
Shaymin
Valued Contributor

Post by Shaymin »

Was the "2 Ds and an F" supposed to be a Family Guy reference? Because if so, bravo writers.
Golf

Post by Golf »

floridagator wrote:That was a hot game! Cathy rose quickly to dominate the game, but her hubris on the DDs was nearly her undoing. She had a runaway when she found that DD in DJ but something told me the gutsy bet that served her well in the J! round would not help, and from then on, she did not have a runaway. $3000 would have been a sensible bet at that point; $5000 was pure hubris.
3k is OK yet 5k is "pure hubris"? Got it. This board could really use you for a DD wagering tool, ask what you'd do in various situations and then do the opposite.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I had Linnaeus for FJ.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

dhkendall wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't second have exactly half of first's total, meaning second had to go all in (done) and first had to wager $0 and take her chances on the tie breaker? (not done). If that was indeed the case, I expect a lot of reading when I get back to this thread later this evening.
Cathy had $16800 and Mary had $8600, so no, it wasn't a lock-tie.
NoName84

Post by NoName84 »

I had Roget for the Final.
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

What a coincidence, I was listrning to the old song "The Curly Shuffle" earlier today. Yep, I got Larry Fine. Moe & Curly were brothers with the last name Howard. All three were Jewish (source: Adam Sandler). :D

Lach Trash: Blindfold, Fremont, Fine, Tasman Sea (DD), AME
Bamaman wrote:I had Linnaeus for FJ.
I went with that one too for FJ.
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

31 right.

Sci (2), Fashion (2), Plot (1), TV (5), Card (2), D/F (3)
Afro (4), Seas (3), Fore (0), Last (4), Sculpture (1), Wine (4)

Lach Trash: "blindfold", "Fremont", "Larry Fine"

I had no good idea for FJ- I was pretty certain that my thoughts of Audubon and Linnaeus were incorrect.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Lydia was just a little too early with bas relief.

The John C. Frémont neg bait reminded me of KENTUCKY IS JUST DUCKY $2000 from my second game: Not Calhoun but this John C. from Kentucky was U.S. VP from 1857 to 1861 & then Sec. of War for the Confederacy. (Robert: Who is John C. Frémont?) Correct response: Who is John C. Breckinridge?
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Started with Webster, scratchout, realized he was already dead by 1863, considered Linnaeus, passed on him for same reason ( I think he passed in 1790s) then went Roget.
Facepalm @ Bartlett's Quotations, DOH! of course... sigh. Pretty long reach given the weak TOM, pure guesswork IMHO. Well, it IS tournament level play!

Cathy played well and I NONCONCUR with the sharp criticism above; if you've never been put on the hot seat under the bright light with TV audience watching and AT waiting then you got no cause to criticize. Tough game to win and tricky to play. Please be KIND to Champs! This is NOT EZ! IMHO she did REAL GOOD and deserves a HIGH FIVE! WTG Gurl! Good retroluck tomorrow!

LT: John C. Fremont; Larry Fine; Salud; Brancusi's "Bird In Space (A fav); Henry Moore (Brit Sculptor-> 'knee jerk); Blindfold (execution offering, macabre). Good game, few LT and cleared!
LOL @ "John C's" you could build a whole category with these guys!

Fun J-gets: Java man - traction <-> Friction; Newts & salamanders (order Amphibia); capillary action and Bill Nye the Science Guy, such fun!
Warren Commission 11-29-63; Apollo 13 1970 ("Houston, We have a Problem!"); Clement Claude Moore "A Visit from St Nicolas" where was that in Dec?!?
Nailed DD-F with blindfold/fenderbender/fodder/fiddler (crab/beetle)/dehumidifier; Hans Christian Anderson's "The Fir Tree" >Xmas tree (Was ist der Tannenbaum?!?)
The Wind in the Willows instaget with Mole cleaning home and "Magic treehouse" series by Mary Pope Osborne, repeatedly recurring and popular at our house! "Dinos By Dark" FUN!
THe Trail of the Lonesome PINE = Virginia 'official outdoor drama' and a fine read, adapted to silent screen byu Cecil B DeMille about 100 years ago, LOL!

Moar DJ Cowbells: UB40 Red, Red Wine; Ed Harris as Pollack (great film, worth the 2 hours and you will never miss a drip art question about Jackson's life again!); E! > Kardassian (blech);
Quid Pro Quo lit: something for something; Lamboghini v. Ferrari (They love these cars; worth knowing their logos too! Prancing Pony = Ferrari, Maserati = Trident, Lambo = Bull Rampant).

TPH: Sea of Marmora connects the Dardanelles and Bosphorus, separating Europe from Asia Minor. That would be...Turkey! How do you pronounce the capital again?! Kiel canal > Baltic/North sea instaget. Queen Maud land > Antarctica. Clam on Hoi Poloi, dammit I've heard/seen this before, another AT fav for common ppl misconstrued upper crust, here again, grrr. Bon vivant :-)
PAINful watching poor Cathy struggle with "Prego" but clams happen, you just gotta remain clam when that occurs. She took it well, could see she knew it just blanked, but firm win anyway.

NHO "The Ditch" for Tasman Sea but instaget if you know the geog. Abel Tasman sailed through it without discovering Australia. The Dutch later tried to claim it anyway. Adriatic = Snap!
Mobile also EZ get but usually associated with Alex Calder, unusual clue. Bas Relief occurs often. Joplin > Ragtime tune > knee jerk; Hiram missed his chance to go up against Jeff Davis = MS!

NHO AME Church. Some clues you just gonna miss. Has been really fun ToC of Teachers, look fwd to exciting conclusion!!
Last edited by goatman on Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

As mentioned, Mary had slightly more than half of Cathy's score entering FJ. It would have been much more interesting if Colin hadn't negged on clue #60, as he would have had exactly half of Cathy's score, 16800-8600-8400. It's not really a lock tie since Cathy has to bet at least $201 to cover Mary, but it does leave Colin with a chance to win on a single get. It's easy to say that he shouldn't have been buzzing there, as the neg followed by the get by Cathy essentially eliminated him from the game barring a bad wager from the leader, but he also has a lot to gain by moving into second if he responds correctly on that final clue, meaning he doesn't have to have a sole get to win.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

AME....African Methodist Episcopal Church.

Larry Fine being a TS made me sad. Does no one know the classics anymore?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Bamaman wrote:Larry Fine being a TS made me sad. Does no one know the classics anymore?
I don't know about 'classics'. I have never been a fan of the three stooges, but I knew their surnames were Howard and Fine. The clue specified 4-letter, so, even not having a clue as to which of the three it was...

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.