LL64: For the LLamas Among Us

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: LL64: For the LLamas Among Us

Post by alietr »

NM ... I think it was Turkey I was thinking about. Back to sleep ...
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by cmp146 »

Woof wrote:
OTOH, Demo is putting on a clinic about how to play good defense, so there's definitely room for improvement.
There is a place to learn remedial defense?!? My lackluster defense this season (0.482!) has caused my opponents in Horizon B to cheerfully accept multiple 3PTs and wins from me this season. My attempts to rank question difficulty versus their % correct in categories and pouring over question histories has backfired every way I try. Ugh.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

cmp146 wrote:
Woof wrote:
OTOH, Demo is putting on a clinic about how to play good defense, so there's definitely room for improvement.
There is a place to learn remedial defense?!? My lackluster defense this season (0.482!) has caused my opponents in Horizon B to cheerfully accept multiple 3PTs and wins from me this season. My attempts to rank question difficulty versus their % correct in categories and pouring over question histories has backfired every way I try. Ugh.
Indeed, I missed this too! Deets!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

My first thought was Germany, then changed to France. I then decided it wasn't going to be a major country. For some reason I always think Norway is much bigger than it really is and went with it. I considered Denmark, but thought that would be a trick answer and didn't put it down.

All that worry for naught as that was my zero point question. I still managed to pull out the win. That gets me to fifht place, one spot from promotion. Unfortunately, I'm two points behind fourth and trail badly in MPD, the first tiebreaker. I guess going 0-4 against the top four didn't help matters.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

countyguy wrote:
alietr wrote:How was Portugal a correct answer? And damn you, Mercator! How can Sweden not be larger than France?!?
When I saw the questions and answers, it said France, Denmark, and Turkey.

I wish I were smart enough to come up with Denmark. Then I wouldn't have to waver over France and Germany.
Germany is not even close - smaller than Spain and Sweden.

The question could have specified "largest by area universally considered to be in Europe" and France would be the only possible answer.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

gnash wrote:
countyguy wrote:
alietr wrote:How was Portugal a correct answer? And damn you, Mercator! How can Sweden not be larger than France?!?

I wish I were smart enough to come up with Denmark. Then I wouldn't have to waver over France and Germany.
I originally thought Germany too, until I was thinking I may have been thinking of population, not land area (a reasonable mistake, you'd think a country with a lot of land area would have a lot of population.)

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

dhkendall wrote:(a reasonable mistake, you'd think a country with a lot of land area would have a lot of population.)
So says a Canadian.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote:I still managed to pull out the win.
What's this "win" thing you are referring to? :)

I've dropped 5 straight -- and #6 today is almost certain - -and went from 9th to 18th.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote:

I've dropped 5 straight -- and #6 today is almost certain - -and went from 9th to 18th.
Knicks strategy?

I wonder how many do try to tank, either to move down a league or stay put...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote:
econgator wrote:

Knicks strategy?

Actually, it's only 4 straight. Tomorrow will be #5.

Nothing I can point to. My last 4 games I've gotten 3-4-3-3 correct, but my opponents have gotten 2-5-5-5 (and one of those was against Michael Falk, so I can live with that one :) ), so a combination of crap defense and questions that play to my opponents.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

gnash wrote:
dhkendall wrote:(a reasonable mistake, you'd think a country with a lot of land area would have a lot of population.)
So says a Canadian.
I was going to make the same joke myself in my post, but figured I'd leave it open for someone else. The fact that it was the person my post was a reply to makes me even happier in my book.

BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

I'm a bit worried about what next season may bring. I noticed this morning that I am 12-0-1 against the bottom 16 players in my rundle and 2-6-1 against the top 12. Looks like I've been getting fat on cupcakes.
Sprinkles are for winners.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

I have to beat my wife (that doesn't sound right).... I have to outscore my wife tomorrow to have any chance of avoiding relegation. Going to have my game face on across the breakfast table. No collusion, no mercy.
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

It's maybe a little early to be talking about NEXT season (doesn't start until May), but if anyone is looking for a referral, PM me.
Sheepin' it real.
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by cmp146 »

boson wrote:I have to beat my wife (that doesn't sound right).... I have to outscore my wife tomorrow to have any chance of avoiding relegation. Going to have my game face on across the breakfast table. No collusion, no mercy.
Just remember that the children will be present while you work on your trash talk. Loser does the dishes. NOW things are getting serious.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

gnash wrote:
countyguy wrote:

The question could have specified "largest by area universally considered to be in Europe" and France would be the only possible answer.
You'd still have people arguing for Turkey or Denmark. I considered Turkey, then thought maybe France's overseas depts are big (they're not). It's funny when a superlative question has 3 correct answers.

If I hadn't forfeited my first day, and won it, I'd be in the running to advance.
schoe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by schoe »

Volante wrote:
econgator wrote:

Knicks strategy?

Maybe Knicks 2013-2014 strategy, when they had no draft pick to reward them for their ineptitude. :P

Knocking on the Knicks aside, what would be the point of intentionally tanking to go to a lower rundle? I presume you'd only want to do that in order to play against weaker competition and win more matches... but wouldn't winning more put you back on the path to getting promoted back up to the higher rundle again anyway...?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Common core was a stupid miss for me, one where I didn't think of it right away and got too impatient to let it come to me. It would have been worth 0 points to me, but I wouldn't have defended it at 2, and I could have won.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

"19Q4" cost me the tie yesterday… and now I'm tied for 5th-7th in Frontier B (with MeyerMM) with 6 spots moving up.
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

seaborgium wrote:Well, it was my turn this time to score the maximum points possible on three correct responses[/spoiler]
I just discovered that that match was my first time in LL history scoring 7(3). Not only was that the last "perfectly bad defense" score I hadn't gotten; it was the last of all possible scores I hadn't yet achieved! That took me fourteen seasons; I wonder who's done it fastest, and who has gone the longest without doing it. I have to imagine there are several people, for example, who have never gotten 0(0).

(Note: I'm not counting 0(F) among possible scores.)