TD 231: Brad Rutter's Final Jeopardies

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

TD 231: Brad Rutter's Final Jeopardies

Post by cf1140 »

Welcome to TD 231, all about Brad Rutter’s Final Jeopardies

Here are some rules and general guidelines. Thanks to lieph82 for the rules. I copied the rules from one of his TDs without his consent and made my own adjustments.

Please private message me your answers by Monday, February 23, 2015 at 11:59 PM Pacific time. Do not post them in this thread or anywhere else on this board.

Rules:
Spoiler
1. Your objective for each question is to provide the correct answer that you believe will be the least popular. The lower your total score, the better.

2. You are to work individually on the questions and you can only use the information stored in your brain. No intentional outside research is allowed. If you happen to incidentally stumble onto an answer between your reading of the questions and your submission of answers, using that answer is perfectly acceptable.

3. You may only give one answer for each question.

4. CORRECT answers score the number of players who give that answer.

5. INCORRECT answers score the SHEEP (most popular correct answer for that question) + 5.

6. You may, but are not required to, DROP one question, but because I don’t like drops you will receive a score of 7 for that question. Note none of the questions are very difficult so I don’t think the DROP is necessary for this game

7. Blank answers will be considered incorrect.

8. Spelling is not important as long as you're close, (except for question 4), but you can save yourself from my judgment by spelling your answers as close to correctly as you can.

9. Last names (surnames) are sufficient.

10. Wikipedia will be my source for each question unless otherwise noted.

11. I will generally rule AGAINST borderline answers. (For example, I would not accept “Fenrir Greyback” as was done in TD 223). Submit borderline answers at your own risk.

12. Scoring is additive. In case of a tie, the player with the greatest number of singletons comes out on top. If it's still a tie, we go to submission order. (NOTE I will only “break” ties at the end of the game and only for the top 10)

13. Please send your answers to me in the following format (this is just an example; obviously you don't have to use your helps on the same questions):
1: Answer
2: Answer
3: Answer
4: Answer

etc.

14. Have fun and good luck!
Last edited by cf1140 on Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Re: TD 231: Brad Rutter's Final Jeopardies

Post by cf1140 »

Questions...
Spoiler
1. SECRETARIES OF STATE: Serving 160 years apart, these 2 secretaries of state are the only ones who never married
Brad got this one right, because (unlike Ken) he knew that all of the Secretaries of State of the United States between 1950 and 1999 inclusive were married at one point. Name a Secretary of State in office between 1950 and 1999 inclusive (acting Secretaries of State don’t count). There are 14 correct answers.

2. THE ACADEMY AWARDS: 1 of the 2 movies in the last 30 years, one a drama & one a comedy, to win Oscars for Best Actor & Best Actress.
Brad got this one wrong, but he would have gotten it right if he had remembered that Helen Hunt and Jack Nicholson received acting nods for the same film in 1997. Name a man that has won the Academy Award for Best Actor since 1997. There are 14 correct answers.

3. MONARCHS: 2 teen Hashemite cousins officially took the thrones of their respective countries May 2, 1953. Faisal of Iraq & him
Brad named the correct head-of-state to get this one right. Name a current (as of 2/16/15) head of state for any country that is primarily on continental Asia (that means no Japan/Sri Lanka/Indonesia etc.) There are around 39 correct answers. For my own convenience, please name the country as well.

4. SUPREME COURT DECISIONS: On Dec. 20, 1956 the Court's ruling on Browder v. Gayle went into effect, bringing an end to this 381-day event
Brad failed to come up with this clue’s correct response, which happens to end in a “tt.” Name a word between 4-9 letters that ends with a double t (“tt”). Note the word must show up on dictionary.com as a non-proper noun with its own definition. (Source is wordfind.com, although several words listed there won't count as they don't have entries on dictionary.com)

5. BIBLICAL NAMES: In Genesis 4 this name is chosen because God "hath appointed me another seed"
Brad got this one wrong but you can get question #5 correct by naming any person mentioned in Genesis chapter 4. There are 17 correct answers. (Source: my NIV bible)

6. 19TH CENTURY NOVELISTS: William Wilkinson's "An Account of the Principalities of Wallachia and Moldavia" inspired this author's most famous novel
Wallachia is a region in Romania, one of the original eight member countries of the Warsaw Pact. Name a current national capital that was in one of those eight original Warsaw Pact nations. There are 24 correct answers.

7. U. S. CITIES: Its largest airport is named for a World War II hero; its second largest, for a World War II battle
Brad responded with “Chicago.” Speaking of Chicago, it's the home of the Cubs, who haven’t been to the World Series since 1945. They got really close in 2003 though when they lost in seven games to the Florida Marlins in the National League Championship Series. Some blamed the Cubs’ game 6 loss on a fan that might have obstructed Moises Alou’s attempt to catch a foul ball. Name one of the players that played in the 2003 NLCS game 7.
There are 31 correct answers. (Source: baseball-reference.com)

8. 20TH CENTURY AMERICANS: These names of 2 original Mercury astronauts, who orbited Earth in May 1962 & May 1963, are also occupations
Brad concluded an epic smackdown with a sole get on this clue. Name an astronaut that flew on one of the ten Gemini missions and you might be on your way to an epic smackdown in this Think Different. There are 16 correct answers.

9. IMAGES OF AMERICA: Citing John Winthrop, who said, "The eyes of all people are on us", Ronald Reagan liked to compare the U.S. to this.
Reagan, Winthrop, and the correct response to this clue are not important. What is important is that Ken, Jerome & Brad all got this FJ for the lone triple-get in the UToC final. Triple-gets were rare in last year’s Battle of the Decades tournament, so name a game in the BotD tournament where at least two contestants got FJ. And you name the game by naming the three contestants in that game. First names are fine here. There are 10 correct answers. (Source: J-archive)

I’m skipping a FJ because I couldn’t think of a good DeMille-themed question.

10. HISTORIC OBJECTS: Given to Washington by Lafayette, one of the keys to this is on display at Mount Vernon
Brad’s response was “What is the Bastille?” The Bastille is no longer in Paris, but the Musee d’Orsay is in Paris today. Name the artist behind one of the following works that are on display in the Orsay.
A. Starry Night over the Rhone
B. Bal du Moulin de la Galette
C. The Luncheon on the Grass
D. The Artist’s Studio
E. Apples and Oranges
F. Tahitian Women on the Beach
G. Arrangement in Grey and Black No. 1, Whistler’s Mother
H. Portraits at the Stock Exchange (At the Bourse)
I. Blue Water Lilies
J. The Circus
Please submit the letter that corresponds with your answer.

11. ***DELETED*** apparently not a good question to ask.

I’m skipping a FJ so opusthepenguin can be reminded of the bad wager of all bad wagers.

Question 12 is dedicated to jboard.tv user OldSchoolChamp
12. PEOPLE & PLACES: This Mediterranean island shares its name with President Garfield's nickname for his wife
Chances of getting this question right are low if you didn’t know that Garfield’s wife’s name was Lucretia. Lucretia Garfield is only famous because she was the spouse of someone famous. Name one of Henry VIII’s wives or one of Elizabeth Taylor’s husbands. There are 13 correct answers.
Last edited by cf1140 on Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:06 pm, edited 9 times in total.
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

Participants...
Spoiler
mujason
Tpmorrison
gamawire
Mark Barrett
mennoknight
BigDaddyMatty
dnbguy
sethmoko
dott888
Ryno
econgator
Holocene Hero
tjconn728
colonialrampage
ElendilPickle
PowerofHoodoo
psgola
DadofTwins
Blue Lion
TheyCallmeMrKid
debramc
CheezeWhiz
Peachbox
jjwaymee
goforthetie
Peggles
Woof
Bamaman
RandyG
whatisbishkek
Last edited by cf1140 on Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:52 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Without looking at the spoiler, would it be a violation to go look at Brad's games to see his FJs?
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

[reserved]
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

Bamaman wrote:Without looking at the spoiler, would it be a violation to go look at Brad's games to see his FJs?
Not really.
eman
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by eman »

Ken Jennings would only have been a three day champ if Paula FIlson got FJ! right on day four.
Save your time and get on time success in Testking hesi practice test and test king to exams gmat test by using our latest and other superb pass resources
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Note none of the questions are very difficult so I don’t think the DROP is necessary for this game :lol:

Okay, my answers are in.
BobF

Post by BobF »

MarkBarrett wrote:Note none of the questions are very difficult so I don’t think the DROP is necessary for this game :lol:

Okay, my answers are in.
Yeah, I don't have an answer for 4, 9 or 11. The fact that it's a specific chapter of Genesis blows it for me. I have very little recollection of the UToC, and zero knowledge of Disneyland Paris.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

eman wrote:Ken Jennings would only have been a three day champ if Paula FIlson got FJ! right on day four.
And a zero-day champ had his answer of "Who is Jones?" been ruled not specific enough. Not sure what this has to do with the topic at hand, though.
Sprinkles are for winners.
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

BobF wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:Note none of the questions are very difficult so I don’t think the DROP is necessary for this game :lol:

Okay, my answers are in.
Yeah, I don't have an answer for 4, 9 or 11. The fact that it's a specific chapter of Genesis blows it for me. I have very little recollection of the UToC, and zero knowledge of Disneyland Paris.
Well you're in luck...because I am removing question 11 due to the fact that only one entrant so far has given a correct response to that question. Bad idea I guess to put a Disneyland question. And Question 9 is about the more recent Battle of the Decades tournament, not the UToC.

And the question about the Book of Genesis is Question 5.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

cf1140 wrote:Well you're in luck...because I am removing question 11 due to the fact that only one entrant so far has given a correct response to that question.
Argle bargle. I would've gotten that one right (despite knowing nothing about Disneyland Paris).
Sprinkles are for winners.
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

Good news, I have set up my google Docs spreadsheet and with the help of the COUNTIF & VLOOKUP functions, I think I've got the hang of hosting this TD.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

cf1140 wrote:Good news, I have set up my google Docs spreadsheet and with the help of the COUNTIF & VLOOKUP functions, I think I've got the hang of hosting this TD.
If you want to use my tracker, it's still available here with instructions here.
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

Vermonter wrote:
cf1140 wrote:Good news, I have set up my google Docs spreadsheet and with the help of the COUNTIF & VLOOKUP functions, I think I've got the hang of hosting this TD.
If you want to use my tracker, it's still available here with instructions here.
Highly recommended. Even if you have already set something up, I'd say at least check out Vermonter's TD Tracker; it does some nifty things that you might not have thought of.

It's better than Cats. I'm going to use it again and again.--TheyCallMeMrKid
Sheepin' it real.
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

*bump*

tons of singletons available.

:D
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

cf1140 wrote:11. I will generally rule AGAINST borderline answers. (For example, I would not accept “Fenrir Greyback” as was done in TD 223). Submit borderline answers at your own risk.
If this is the case, then your questions had better be airtight. For instance, for #3, what constitutes a "country", and what does "primarily" mean? (Land area? Population?) For #2, does the person who won at the 1998 Oscar ceremony for a 1997 film count as winning "since 1997"?
tjconn728

Post by tjconn728 »

goforthetie wrote:
cf1140 wrote:11. I will generally rule AGAINST borderline answers. (For example, I would not accept “Fenrir Greyback” as was done in TD 223). Submit borderline answers at your own risk.
If this is the case, then your questions had better be airtight. For instance, for #3, what constitutes a "country", and what does "primarily" mean? (Land area? Population?) For #2, does the person who won at the 1998 Oscar ceremony for a 1997 film count as winning "since 1997"?
Along those lines, I wasn't sure why #'s 3, 5, and especially 6 only have an approximate number of answers. Seems like these should be fairly easy to definitively quantify.
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

goforthetie wrote: If this is the case, then your questions had better be airtight. For instance, for #3, what constitutes a "country", and what does "primarily" mean? (Land area? Population?) For #2, does the person who won at the 1998 Oscar ceremony for a 1997 film count as winning "since 1997"?
Yes that 1998 Oscar winner for a 1997 film would count. For #3, primarily could mean land area OR population. I am going to be lenient with that question in particular as I now see that question could yield some tricky answers.
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

ba baa bump