Friday, February 27, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, February 27, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, February 27, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by jeff6286 »

Authors & Filmmakers
This author had a bitter feud with Michael Moore over the title of a 2004 documentary.

Spoiler
Who is Ray Bradbury? Richmond had no guess; Natalie said Crichton.

Jose Garriga: $19,800+$2,201=$22,001...now a 2-day champion with 38,402
Natalie Kistner: $11,000-$6,601=$4,399
Richmond Curtiss: $2,000-$2,000=$0
Last edited by jeff6286 on Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Perhaps the "everyday spectrometer" from the J! round could help with "the dress" debate? ;) (Another call to social media, but more specific to me - a friend of mine founded and runs a charitable organization whose mission statement is simply "do justice", recently, they are focussing on the preponderance of slavery in the world with their social media posts, so I've been seeing talk of that lately on my Facebook wall - and of course slavery was mentioned in the game.)

And of course LLamas got a bit of an advantage on one clue. ;)

Spent all of the Think Music trying to think of who wrote Fahrenheit 451 but couldn't. (Just jotted down "Asimov"). Do I get partial points for knowing what they were going for?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

dhkendall wrote:Spent all of the Think Music trying to think of who wrote Fahrenheit 451 but couldn't. (Just jotted down "Asimov"). Do I get partial points for knowing what they were going for?
No way Jose. One of the most talked about documentaries ever, one of the most talked-about dystopian novels ever. No partial points for you dhk!!! I connected the dots in record time, it must have been less than a second in.

There was a Bernice in the bible? I thought that name was reserved for elderly aunts that always come to visit at inopportune times. But I guess that could happen in the bible.

Geography clues staying hidden? Grindcore is unhappy.

Appenees? Oof. Tough break for Richmond.

I like Jose, he's cute as a button.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I suppose I should apologize for calling Jose a lightweight yesterday. He really cleaned up today and showed himself to be a formidable opponent.

Richmond's bold DD didn't pay off, but it wouldn't have mattered, because he didn't come up with FJ.

Truly, the guts of the abortion controversy are not in Roe v. Wade but in its companion case Doe v. Bolton. If you've ever had to read Roe for a class, you've probably been surprised to find there's not much about abortion in it.

I knew the FJ controversy was about Fahrenheit 911, but I thought Kurt Vonnegut was the author of Fahrenheit 451.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I thought Bible was tough. I didn't recognize almost any of the names in the lcues:

Bernice/Bacchus/Bartimeus? Well, Bernice seems like a more modern name, so let's go with that. Oops.
Lois/Lydia/Luther? I honestly don't know, because I've NHO Lois or Lydia in the Bible at all.
Alexander/Amenhotep/Agrippa? Again, don't recognize any of the names, so it could be any.
Annas/Atreyu/Agula? Again, don't recognize any of the names. Could be any of them.
Shadrach/Shamash/Shalmaneser? I know Shadrach, but either of those other two could be it, and I get literally every coin flip I ever make wrong, so screw it.

4/5 in Catty (pussy willow) and "Ut". Clout can mean a punch?!?!? What the hell dictionary are they using?!

NHO Kramer vs. Kramer.

Ugh, two O'Connor clues?! They're now just trolling us, aren't they.

Like dhkendall, I knew the clue was referring to Fahrenheit 451, but couldn't for the life of me remember who wrote it. Eventually, like floridagator, I thought Vonnegut.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

dhkendall wrote:Perhaps the "everyday spectrometer" from the J! round could help with "the dress" debate? ;)
They kinda did here:

http://www.wired.com/2015/02/science-on ... lor-dress/
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

This was another nice game for Jose. I had 39 correct responses including the triple stumper The French Connection.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Like dhkendall, I knew the clue was referring to Fahrenheit 451, but couldn't for the life of me remember who wrote it. Eventually, like floridagator, I thought Vonnegut.
Same here!
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

grindcore wrote: There was a Bernice in the bible? I thought that name was reserved for elderly aunts that always come to visit at inopportune times. But I guess that could happen in the bible.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

FJ took a few seconds, then spent the rest of the Think music wondering if I had the right author. "It's been a while, are you sure it was Bradbury?"

I won't say 'never', but if I've ever heard 'clout' used that way, it's from a J! clue that I've long since forgotten.
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

Overall, this game did not play to my strengths, but it seemed to suit Jose well.

Lach Trash: French Connection, First Monday in October, Appenines (DD).

Instaget FJ. I remember when that was in the news.
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

35 right.

How (3), UN (1), Drug (4), Bible (1), She's (3), Catty (2)
Geo (1), Lucky (3), Fiction (4), 1970's (5), Supreme (4), "UT" (4)

Lach Trash: "Shamesh", "French Connection"

Instaget FJ.
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

Being an SF fan since I could read and walk, this was about as Instaget as it gets for me in FJ.

Funny controversy: A number of years ago, Ray Bradbury found out that the publisher of his novel, Ballantine, had been publishing a "clean" version of the novel.

Per Wikipedia:

"In 1979, one of Bradbury's friends showed him an expurgated copy. Bradbury demanded that Ballantine Books withdraw that version and replace it with the original, and in 1980 the original version once again became available. In this reinstated work, in the Author's Afterword, Bradbury relates to the reader that it is not uncommon for a publisher to expurgate an author's work, but he asserts that he himself will not tolerate the practice of manuscript "mutilation"."

I guess the word "ironic" wasn't well-known at Ballantine. :-)
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

What was changed? I read it in high school and don't recall many bad words.

Instaget FJ for me.
KazooJ!fan
Valued Contributor

Post by KazooJ!fan »

Instaget FJ for me. I remember when this movie came out and the controversy about the title.

Did 4/5 in Supreme Court-and got the triple stumper last clue about the first Monday in October.

Did 3/5 in Catty, 3/5 in UN, 3/5 in UT (don't remember how i did in the rest)

I think Jose may be around for a few more games.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote:What was changed? I read it in high school and don't recall many bad words.
http://newsletter.library.villanova.edu/147
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Well, I liked the ladie's FJ wager anyway. I guess Richmond had not witnessed any of the previous couple weeks tapings to see the negative aspect of dumping everything on your wager.

What was the bottom clue that had the French Connection TS?
I was blanking on what they wanted, then head slapped on the reveal. Now I'm remembering The Last Picture Show from a few weeks back and maybe that's why my mind was short ciruiting on tonight's clue.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

I couldn't think of the documentary's name, so I came up blank on FJ. Ran the "not in the Bible" category, though. :)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Category 13 wrote:Well, I liked the ladie's FJ wager anyway. I guess Richmond had not witnessed any of the previous couple weeks tapings to see the negative aspect of dumping everything on your wager.
He had no shot anyway. She bet to be $2 ahead of Jose's MSBIW and assured herself of second no matter what.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

A recent $100K question on WWTBAM asked who won an Oscar in the year between two people who refused theirs.