Thursday, March 26, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Thursday, March 26, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by econgator »

Category 13 wrote:Curious that the judges apparently weren't going to require USS as part of the answer.
Why? The name of the ship is Maine. USS is simply a prefix.
floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by floridagator »

WTH? At the time of her DD, Jacqueline had more than the two challengers combined. By the end, the male contestant had surpassed her, only to throw it away by blowing a ridiculously easy FJ. But Jacqueline's answer in FJ was no better.

I am frequently chaffed here for my willingness to criticize contestants. But here is my philosophy: We watch for the game. Any contestant who gets in the way of playing the game is an obtrusive, awkward contestant. Whether it's because they ad lib, or cackle, or fidget, or make too much noise with the button, or worst of all, are rude to AT. Contestants who just play the game and don't make it about themselves are the ones we want to watch and see win.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

floridagator wrote:WTH? At the time of her DD, Jacqueline had more than the two challengers combined. By the end, the male contestant had surpassed her, only to throw it away by blowing a ridiculously easy FJ. But Jacqueline's answer in FJ was no better.

I am frequently chaffed here for my willingness to criticize contestants. But here is my philosophy: We watch for the game. Any contestant who gets in the way of playing the game is an obtrusive, awkward contestant. Whether it's because they ad lib, or cackle, or fidget, or make too much noise with the button, or worst of all, are rude to AT. Contestants who just play the game and don't make it about themselves are the ones we want to watch and see win.
I think you put a "we" in there a couple of times after your first sentence used the words "I, my, my". The things that irritate you may be perfectly benign, or even endearing to others. It's fine to give your opinions, but you don't have to do it in a way that seems demeaning or insulting, which seems to be happening with more and more frequency on this board. (I'm not referring to your posts exclusively)
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Yet another in the recent trend of "callback" FJs, as the Maine was used last July 28 in a Teen Tournament semifinal. http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4584
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

econgator wrote:
Category 13 wrote:Curious that the judges apparently weren't going to require USS as part of the answer.
OK, your point is perfectly valid. It's just a stickler with me about battleships. And since they are all named after states, there would be less confusion about what a contestant's response was refering to. In this case, the category effectively removed any doubt.
floridagator wrote:or worst of all, are rude to AT.
Not sure if you were refering directly to Al, but he seemed extremely polite to me. Just a little over anxious to speak sometimes.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

I was confused and initially thought Alex was interrupting Al when he advised him to remember the hemisphere. :)

Great negbait for handmaiden in H_D. Remember the category. Remember the Maine. :)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Category 13 wrote:And since they are all named after states.
All save one (the Kearsarge).
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I'm no geography whiz as I mention often. Indonesia as the island next to India? Wow, but she was 2 wins and $34,101, so who am I to judge.

I got busted playing Ken Jennings style. STATE RHYME TIME was rolling along fine for the first three clues. The $800 had Casper, so I rang in for Wyoming expecting to complete the response. It was a blank on connecting "wedding band" in time because I was thinking the music kind of wedding band, not the finger kind. Oops.

Al may not have remembered the Maine tonight, but I suspect he will have trouble forgetting it now. Once again Alex Trebek is wrong in thinking he could not compete on the show. It's possible he could have won substituting for any of the three players tonight.

I was 0/3 on my precalls thinking the clue would be about the Missouri, Arizona or Iowa. Of course the Maine should have been part of any brainstorming as well since the U.S.S. Maine has been the correct FJ! response twice in less than a year.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $31,600
40 R/0 W
DD: 2/3 The Chicago DD seemed to be YKIOYD, and I D
FJ: Instaget; shocked it wasn't a triple get
LT: Travelodge, turmeric
C: Sabre, Hercules, hoard

I loved the way Al stormed back to take the lead by a wide margin at the end of DJ!, but I love Jacqueline's savvy FJ! bet even more. Other than the forgetting of the Maine, a very well-played game.
Sprinkles are for winners.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

econgator wrote:
dhkendall wrote:IS THERE A DOCTOR IN THE HOUSE $600: "Roetgenologist" (or however it's spelled) is synonymous with "radiologist", right?
It is.
Be careful with your pronunciation. It's "Roentgenologist."
Category 13 wrote:Easily ran the Warbirds category with Lach Trash on B-29, but I wondered if any of Doolittle's B-25s landed in Russia?
Apparently one did. The rest landed in China. Some captured by the Japanese.
OCSam
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

MarkBarrett wrote: I got busted playing Ken Jennings style. STATE RHYME TIME was rolling along fine for the first three clues. The $800 had Casper, so I rang in for Wyoming expecting to complete the response. It was a blank on connecting "wedding band" in time because I was thinking the music kind of wedding band, not the finger kind. Oops.
Same, I thought "what the hell do you call a wedding band other than a wedding band?".
Haljor
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Haljor »

Word on the FB J! page is that some viewers saw the FJ get cut off partway and apparently replaced with footage from Friday's game. Anybody here know anything more about it? And what specific markets it happened in?
I... had a better post prepared, but... the dog ate it. :)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Once they missed Blade Runner, I was rooting against all 3. (Okay, not really, but...watch Blade Runner!)
Liked the Christopher Moltisanti clue; I only just started watching The Sopranos two weeks ago. Wouldn't have gotten it otherwise.

Final, instant...because I didn't have any better guess.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:DD: 2/3 The Chicago DD seemed to be YKIOYD, and I D
And then, not two hours later, a friend asks a trivia question about the Pledge of Allegiance, which leads me to look up the Wikipedia article on the Pledge.
jwales wrote:Subsequently, the Pledge was first used in public schools on October 12, 1892, during Columbus Day observances organized to coincide with the opening of the World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago, Illinois.
Paging Ms. Morissette...
Sprinkles are for winners.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a win for the Intermediate Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "small." --Bob
willwoodlen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by willwoodlen »

AT gave the wrong first name of the Poe character in the $1600 question: his name is Arthur Gordon Pym, not Gordon Pym.

I wish Alex or the writers or whoever would get over his/her/their fascination with non-mundane transportation. There seem to be too many questions and categories dealing with military planes, space vehicles, etc. I admit this is really weak territory for me, and occasional questions along this line are fine, but it seems too much space is devoted to a fringe category. I was pretty unhappy when "Navy Ships" was the FJ category in a game that had already included an entire column on aircraft, but it ended up being more of a history question, so I relaxed.

Like other posters, I also enjoyed today's game. I especially like it when the third-place player is the only one to get FJ. She couldn't win, but she probably got a kick out of such an ending. It didn't hurt that she's from my home town.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Category 13 wrote:
econgator wrote:
OK, your point is perfectly valid. It's just a stickler with me about battleships. And since they are all named after states, there would be less confusion about what a contestant's response was refering to. In this case, the category effectively removed any doubt.
Three letters besides U.S.S. can also make that distinction: "the."
danspartan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by danspartan »

xxaaaxx wrote:This was a single get!?! I give up.

I'd feel bad that Al lost but...you can't miss a slam dunk FJ like this. And hey, Jacqueline wagered properly when I was expecting the all-in suicide wager. Yay.
Yes finally a good wager from second. Seems like it's been a week straight of botches.

FJ seemed super easy, but I can see if it just doesn't pop in that it might be panic time.
BobF

Post by BobF »

grindcore wrote:Navy ship + Caribbean = Maine. Is that not the case or did I just get lucky with my oversimplification?

Alvin must have had dinner reservations across town because he seemed very very antsy. Interrupting Alex during a DD? Legendary.
For me it was Navy ship + 1890's + Caribbean = Maine. Took about 20 seconds to finally come up with it.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote:Liked the Christopher Moltisanti clue
Me too. We were born the exact same day about 20 miles apart. :)