Monday, March 30, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Re: Monday, March 30, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Category 13 »

It's a shame two very competent players had to go up against the Michael buzzsaw. We'll never know how many games they might have won if their draw had come up in a different time frame.
$53,000 combined pre-FJ score has to be floating in the all-time high vicinity. I expect a lot of Ken Jennings games exceeded this mark.

Cynthia; What a babe! I wonder if her interview segment will result in random marriage proposals, after Alex let it slip that she is single.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Category 13 wrote: Cynthia; What a babe! I wonder if her interview segment will result in random marriage proposals, after Alex let it slip that she is single.
I can't think there's be enough people to be mentally ill enough to try (perhaps Wilma Flintstone turned them down?)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

dhkendall wrote:
Category 13 wrote: Cynthia; What a babe! I wonder if her interview segment will result in random marriage proposals, after Alex let it slip that she is single.
I can't think there's be enough people to be mentally ill enough to try (perhaps Wilma Flintstone turned them down?)
So, you think mental disorder is pretty uncommon these days, or are you just slamming me for making a harmless observation?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

legendneverdies wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
What led to smallpox over polio on Vaccines for $400?
Polio was eradicated well after 1796. Two people in the 20th century you've heard of had polio: Franklin D. Roosevelt and Bill Cullen.
Yeah. He probably never heard of Neil Young.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Category 13 wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
So, you think mental disorder is pretty uncommon these days, or are you just slamming me for making a harmless observation?
Neither. People just don't randomly propose marriage to someone they think is attractive on the TV. Or maybe I'm wrong and we do still live in an age where women are treated as things to be won (married) instead of someone who could be gotten to know. This article is what most people would think of when they see an attractive single woman play well on Jeopardy! "Marry me" from a random stranger isn't how I would think the sane person would delve in.

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

kristinsausville
2015 TOC'er

Post by kristinsausville »

dhkendall wrote:
Category 13 wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
Neither. People just don't randomly propose marriage to someone they think is attractive on the TV. Or maybe I'm wrong and we do still live in an age where women are treated as things to be won (married) instead of someone who could be gotten to know. This article is what most people would think of when they see an attractive single woman play well on Jeopardy! "Marry me" from a random stranger isn't how I would think the sane person would delve in.
Let's put it this way: If only some people were polite enough to propose marriage to attractive people they see on TV, instead of other things.
Follow me on Twitter: @ksausville
cosmos
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by cosmos »

I was laughing as soon as I saw the Bottles of Water category. (Turns out they have one previous game in the archive with Bottles of Water, although that time it was in DJ after Bodies of Water in SJ.) I wondered if David was intentionally saying "Bodies" to confuse the other contestants, but then Michael did it too, and Alex made them stop. :D

I didn't know dredged can mean coated with flour, had to look it up in the dictionary to figure out why two contestants were trying that as a response.
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

econgator wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Keep forgetting Pearl Buck exists when I play Jeopardy! :( (Went with Tan as well, at least I was vindicated that two of the three contestants, smart people, got it)
I didn't forget her. I immediately said Amy Tan, then thought, "Hmmm. Could be Pearl Buck. Nah. Doesn't sound right." Ah well.

I think the clue said "she wrote", rather than "has written", which was another indicator pointing to the late Pearl Buck rather than the still very much with us Amy Tan.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

legendneverdies wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: What led to smallpox over polio on Vaccines for $400?
Polio was eradicated well after 1796. Two people in the 20th century you've heard of had polio: Franklin D. Roosevelt and Bill Cullen.
Smallpox was famously eradicated in the 1970s.
Polio is still out there.
Leander wrote:I thought the reference to Sun Yat Sen and the fact that the term Oriental is no longer politically correct pretty clearly pointed to someone much older than Tan. Buck was an instaget for me.
Damnit, that's what I did. Somehow mixed up Sun Yat Sen for Chiang Kai-Shek. ...No, no idea. Went with Tan as a result.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

mrparadise wrote:I think the clue said "she wrote", rather than "has written", which was another indicator pointing to the late Pearl Buck rather than the still very much with us Amy Tan.
That was my justification for going Buck (wild). After I said that aloud, my dad added that Amy Tan wouldn't be writing a book with "Oriental" in the title.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

+13400 on Daily Doubles - well done!

I wonder who Cynthia gets more of in public? Jessica Chastain or Rebecca Leigh Mader?

Yes, very strange that the players handled the '90s music well, but did not know the Madonna clue. No one getting Hong Kong Phooey stung more and like Golf it was definitely part of Saturday mornings back in the day.

50/50/90 on the FJ! clue as I went back and forth trying to decide between Tan (yes, will be on the poll) and Buck. I appreciate seeing the ways to tip the scale here with "Oriental" (not so p.c. now) and "wrote" (past tense = dead).

During think time I did consider Sun Yat-sen being early 20th c. a possible indicator for Buck, but did not feel it eliminated Tan. I knew Tan wrote some books for children and all of think time was a mental tug-of-war.

It stinks to lose 7 in a row on such a clue and I would love to know if the clue played as originally written or if the morning round table brought about any tinkering.

Not naming names here, but the dagger got a few twists seeing the FJ! clue solved because NHO Tan or instaget FJ!, yet guessed Underdog for Hong Kong Phooey. Whatever works, congrats.

Do we have a third name in play or it's strictly one or the other?

Interesting that as well as Michael played tonight his Coryat was 5,000 lower tonight than Friday's Coryat. 4/4 on DDs and 0/2 on FJs tells me Michael might need to maintain his good hunting skills.
davey

Post by davey »

It's sad that we look for an "Asian female author" (as TPH put it) and our entire universe consists of two names - one of whom is a white Presbyterian lady from West Virginia!
To reiterate - the clue called for someone whose career is in the past (Amy Tan is 63 and published her most recent novel in 2013), and who was comfortable with the word "Oriental." AT wasn't a great guess...
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $30,800
43 R/2 W; I also went with "dredged"
DD: 2/3; Would have gone with Mekong, but thought it was too easy for $2000 and ended up switching to Irrawaddy (doh!)
FJ: Instamiss! Wrote down Amy Tan and never gave it another thought.
LT: Irish Republican Army, pathological, Madonna
C: Troilus & Cressida, Evian, rose, saffron
Too Late: Braintree

LOVED Michael's chutzpah on the J! DD. Awesome. You earned a fan, sir. And a heap of cash. But fans are more important, right?
Sprinkles are for winners.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:But fans are more important, right?
Jeopardy! groupies, man. Jeopardy! groupies.

michaelbilow
Valued Contributor

Post by michaelbilow »

xxaaaxx wrote:And that is how you do it. I wanted to reach back in time and give you a bear hug when you went TDD in the J! round. Very impressive.
I didn't get a great chance to watch the episode wire-to-wire, but I mad-dogged my opponents after the J! round and I didn't see that in the broadcast.
michaelbilow
Valued Contributor

Post by michaelbilow »

econgator wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Keep forgetting Pearl Buck exists when I play Jeopardy! :( (Went with Tan as well, at least I was vindicated that two of the three contestants, smart people, got it)
I didn't forget her. I immediately said Amy Tan, then thought, "Hmmm. Could be Pearl Buck. Nah. Doesn't sound right." Ah well.
Almost exactly my thought process as well. Under the cold light of day, the idea that Amy Tan would use "Oriental" in the name of a book is ridiculous, maybe I thought she was some kind of hipster racist under the lights.

Actually, I think it was her novel "The Kitchen-God's Wife" that drew me to Tan based on the clue.
michaelbilow
Valued Contributor

Post by michaelbilow »

legendneverdies wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:
So you guys are getting pummeled, LTaM warning given...and you head for the low value clues? Never change, J! conestants. Never change.

Cynthia would have broken the lock had they gotten to the last $1600 clue in Hodgepodge in DJ! and she got it right. WOnder if today being the 51st anniversary of FLeming J!'s premiere had anything to do with the J! around the WOrld category in the first round.
Yup. It was a HUGE relief when (I believe it was David) went for the low value clues. Had Cynthia gotten the $1600, it would have still been a game.
michaelbilow
Valued Contributor

Post by michaelbilow »

grindcore wrote:Congrats on a dominating win Michael. Though I'm sure you'd be the first to admit those two DDs you got were total cupcakes! But that's the way it goes and you did well to cash in on them big time.
Yep, neither was too hard. I didn't feel any of the pressure I did in the first game's "Titanic" answer.
michaelbilow
Valued Contributor

Post by michaelbilow »

kristinsausville wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
Category 13 wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
Let's put it this way: If only some people were polite enough to propose marriage to attractive people they see on TV, instead of other things.
For serious. Jeopardy twitter was full of #sad #gross #thirsty stuff tonight.
michaelbilow
Valued Contributor

Post by michaelbilow »

cosmos wrote:I was laughing as soon as I saw the Bottles of Water category. (Turns out they have one previous game in the archive with Bottles of Water, although that time it was in DJ after Bodies of Water in SJ.) I wondered if David was intentionally saying "Bodies" to confuse the other contestants, but then Michael did it too, and Alex made them stop. :D

I didn't know dredged can mean coated with flour, had to look it up in the dictionary to figure out why two contestants were trying that as a response.
That was probably my favorite moment of the game:

Me: "Dredged?"

Alex: "No."

Cynthia: "Dredged?"

Alex: "No, he said that."