Tuesday, March 31, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Re: Tuesday, March 31, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Category 13 »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Hmm, what film would have a line about getting no respect, in 1972? Eh, don't even bother going any further, it's probably not gonna be one I've heard of. Even just thinking of "1972 film" and nothing more had me stumped.
How quickly you forget. http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4548
mrparadise
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mrparadise »

Congratulations, Michael, on another dominating performance, ballsy betts, and good gets. Best of luck, retrospectively!

However, how do I now tell my own ski lift misadventure story? It sounds remarkably like yours (without the bit about the bargain seeking mother, or whatever that was). It was long ago, but like you, I ended up briefly hanging upside down from a chairlift as it headed up mountain (my own inattention and that of the operator both to blame). Alex might go for another ski lift debacle story but I'm pretty sure Maggie would put the kibosh on it. Now I need a new story, and you have no idea (maybe you do!) how terrifying it is (for some of us) to contemplate making a complete ass of one's self with those interviews. You've pulled it off, apparently, with no sweat.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Bamaman wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: I thought Napoleon had something to do with Elba, not St. Helena. Where'd I mess that up?
He was able ere he saw Elba in 1814 after 1st Abdication, but was able to escape and was exiled a second time to st. Helena, where he died.
He spent nine months on Elba, There's a lovely chateau there with "N" all over the doors and windows, "N" everywhere. Toy soldiers and battle maps. Put it on your bucket list, it's fantastic!
Then he came back for the 100 Days in 1815, leading up to Waterloo. 200th Anniversary is coming June 18, THIS YEAR!!
"It is a curious fact about the Battle of Waterloo that no one is absolutely certain when it actually began"
Good chance to bone up on Boney, the re-enactment of Waterloo 200 bicentennial will be enormous, and he's a frequent featured guest on J! "Vive l'Empereur!"

Boney got so close to winning at Waterloo that British forces sent their flags to the rear when he assaulted the center of the lines late in the evening of the 18th, an unprecedented first for our English cousins; Nappy's combined cavalry and infantry offensive reached within 60 yards of the Allied center; he was literally eye-to-eye with Arthur Wellesley, Lord Wellington, who remarked;
"It was the nearest-run thing you ever saw in your life."
Fabulous vacation spot, was so fine we went back twice. Not for Boney's home away from home, but for the gorgeous beaches, crystal clear seas and great pasta! Easy car ferry from Livorno.

St Helena is apparently much more rugged and cooler clime, not such a lovely place to be exiled. NB: Once J! asked what undersea mountain range is St Helena part of; it's the Mid-Atlantic Ridge.

Napoleon died in 1821 from complications of alcohol abuse and boredom. His remains were removed to Les Invalides. When you visit DO NOT turn your back to the tomb! They love Nappy, he's a national cultural hero, nothing makes them more pissed than irreverent tourists... speaking from 'sperience... :(
Last edited by goatman on Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Bamaman wrote:He was able ere he saw Elba, but was able to escape and was exiled a second time to st. Helena, where he died.
Category 13 wrote:How quickly you forget. http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4548
As a reminder, there's a whole thread for this.

Most excellent, Michael. Can't wait to see what tricks you have up your sleeve next.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

The Talking Mime wrote:
Abraxas wrote:When was the last time (before Michael, just now) that a winner of a regular game won at least $57,198 in that game?
I think Arthur Chu took home around $58K in one of his games last year.
Chu did have a $58,200, so Michael is sixth, not fifth, on the one day total list.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

michaelbilow wrote:
danspartan wrote:Huzzah. Pretty much sums it up.

Nice last second save on the DD phrasing. Worth 14k there and more in FJ.
If I'd messed up the phrasing, that would have cost me $28,000 out of my final total. Almost unbelievable. Can anybody guess the poet I was thinking of before I got to Angelou?
Phyllis Wheatley? :D

That was impressive! Congratulations again.
snow00774
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by snow00774 »

Congratulations Michael! Love the strategy!

Leonard Cohen?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Wow. At first I assumed Michael was an idiot for wagering $7000 on that last DD. Why risk the lock? Then I did the calculation. He could've wagered another $1799 and STILL not risked the lock. Wow.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote:Morrison?
That was my other guess, but I went with Maya.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

34 right.

Fault (4), Food (3), Name (4), TV (2), Caution (0), Science (3)
Napoleon (3), Author (2), Hill (4), _O_O (4), Job (4), Jealous (1)

Lach Trash: "tech support"

Instaget FJ- knew the Dangerfield quote, but also knew Godfather won that year. Dominating game by Michael! (I briefly considered Toni Morrison before Angelou.)
Dudd
Valued Contributor

Post by Dudd »

opusthepenguin wrote:Wow. At first I assumed Michael was an idiot for wagering $7000 on that last DD. Why risk the lock? Then I did the calculation. He could've wagered another $1799 and STILL not risked the lock. Wow.
I'm a big fan of the aggressive wagers, he's becoming one of my favorite contestants ever. He didn't have much to work with on his first DD today, but he seems like he's completely bought into the true DD in single Jeopardy strategy, which I love, it's a real chance to just absolutely take control of the game. The 7k wager on the first DD in the DJ round might have actually been a tad too high. IIRC, it was something like 19k vs 8k on a 2k clue. I'd guess a slightly smaller wager would be optimal, around 2-3k, although, imo, it luckily turned to be a way overvalued clue, Charlemagne was pretty easy. But, I'll take someone being slightly too aggressive in places any day over the scared, play not to lose wagers we usual see, and I fist pumped when he went big in FJ. Hope he sticks around for a while.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

I've always wondered exactly what Alex is doing when a contestant forgets the phrasing on a DD. Does he look down, or stare blankly at the contestant, or is he mouthing "who is" as a reminder? :D All I see is the contestant is startled after turning to look at Alex.
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

Bob Saget tearing it up doe.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

michaelbilow wrote:
danspartan wrote:Huzzah. Pretty much sums it up.

Nice last second save on the DD phrasing. Worth 14k there and more in FJ.
If I'd messed up the phrasing, that would have cost me $28,000 out of my final total. Almost unbelievable. Can anybody guess the poet I was thinking of before I got to Angelou?
Gwendolyn Brooks was my only other thought, though just for a second.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Just as impressive as the big DD bets/hits and finishing total is calculating correctly to take $38,802 to $96,000 exactly. Michael, did you use the scratch paper or do it in your head?

Erica's Rockford Files for Mannix was a double surprise. First, I immediately pegged the clue for an all but certain TS and was taken aback when Erica rang in. When Erica came up with the James Garner show I did not see that one coming. I like it when the writers properly jump the difficulty level for the bottom clue.

The only thought I had for the FJ! category of COMEDY INSPIRATIONS was "Who's On First?"

The clue was basic Oscars trivia. I get not having all the Best Picture winners memorized, but 1972 = The Godfather is one to always have at the ready when watching J! If the FJ! clue was pub trivia, some app, or in a trivia book then I would have brought The French Conneciton into consideration. For J! purposes 1972 = 1972 movies.

The rankings for one-day totals have been handled. How about $96K after three days? The 2004 TOC had 3x winners Seth Alcorn ($106,400) and Tom Baker ($102,300) make the cut. Kevin Joyce $111,299 did not get him in the 2010 TOC.

For 2016 it's too early to know the cut line. Even if Michael wins tomorrow he has locked up nothing although his position would take a while to surpass. If he loses he cannot be counted out either, but it would be a precarious spot.

The most recent TOC alternates:

Mike Lewis 4x: $102,800
Patrick Morrison: 3x: $80,701
Sara Heard: 4x: $85,601
Kevin Joyce: 3x: $111,299
ÕώÕ
Contributor

Post by ÕώÕ »

I didn't see most of the game, I saw the second daily double and final jeopardy.

:shock: Michael's wager.

Wow. That was freaking wicked. Michael, you should totally be in next year's ToC.
ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I only knew the "no respect" line was from The Godfather from a fellow Boy Scout in the '90s who did a Brando impression saying that and patting/slapping people's cheeks. And I heard his slurred "no respect" as "little smack" sometimes.
MarkBarrett wrote:Just as impressive as the big DD bets/hits and finishing total is calculating correctly to take $38,802 to $96,000 exactly. Michael, did you use the scratch paper or do it in your head?
Occam's Razor: he wagered the most he could, with an extra dollar withheld. Maybe he went 98 because he finished with 01 in the two previous days.

Had I gotten Liederkranz, my five-day total at the end of the following day would have been $125,000 on the nose. Want to ask me how I calculated that?
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

Total combined pre-FJ scores for Michael and his opponents over the last three games (spoiler for Friday and Monday):
Spoiler
$159,000
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Another great game, Michael. I reluctantly said Godfather for FJ, then was relieved to see that it was the right answer. I also surprised myself with a get on Mannix (no doubt also surprising those who've seen my LL stats). Overall, a very well played game.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

seaborgium wrote:I only knew the "no respect" line was from The Godfather from a fellow Boy Scout in the '90s who did a Brando impression saying that and patting/slapping people's cheeks.
Picturing a 12-ish year old boy doing that is just the cutest thing!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012