Celebrity Jeopardy?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

DysonSphere
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Celebrity Jeopardy?

Post by DysonSphere »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
DysonSphere wrote:Kevin O'Leary will be fun to watch. We'll see if he's as smart as he thinks he is on Shark Tank!

Never heard of the other celebrities so far, other than astronaut Mark Kelly.
Aaron Rodgers is the quarterback of the Green Bay Packers. He is the reigning NFL MVP and the spokesman for State Farm Insurance. Zachary Quinto is an actor who, among other roles, played the villain Sylar on Heroes and Spock in the most recent set of Star Trek movies.
Ah, sports players are my knowledge "dead zone." I didn't recognize Quinto from his head shot on the Jeopardy website, but I do now - just said "Heroes villain" - a show I never watched, but I did see the Star Trek movies. Thank you.
DysonSphere

Post by DysonSphere »

Just added, 4/22/15:

Penn Jillette
Mo Rocca
Neil Flynn
Cynthia Rowley
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

DysonSphere wrote:Just added, 4/22/15:

Penn Jillette
Mo Rocca
Neil Flynn
Cynthia Rowley
Dang, they couldn't get Teller?
bleezy
Valued Contributor

Post by bleezy »

15 contestants in 5 days? So there is no final game?
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

There usually isn't for the celebs. It's not a tournament.
Last edited by immaf on Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teems with quiet fun.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

So far I have heard of Rodgers, Penn and the Shark Tank guy. I know the astronaut from when his wife was shot, but I did not recognize his name when I first saw it.

No, there is no "final" game. They play five separate games, just like Kids' Week. The overall high score may get more for his or her charity, but I'm not sure.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

jeff6286 wrote:

Penn Jillette
Mo Rocca
Neil Flynn
Cynthia Rowley
Since he doesn't speak, he might not make a good contestant. But he'd have $1,000 to play FJ, which is written, so it might work.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Bamaman wrote:So far I have heard of Rodgers, Penn and the Shark Tank guy. I know the astronaut from when his wife was shot, but I did not recognize his name when I first saw it.

No, there is no "final" game. They play five separate games, just like Kids' Week. The overall high score may get more for his or her charity, but I'm not sure.
In the early years of Celeb J!(1992-1996, seasons nine through thirteen), the celeb who had the highest total for the week had their total doubled. All celebs were guaranteed $10K for charity win or lose. From season fourteen-seventeen, there was no bonus for the high scorer of the week. RUnners up were guaranteed $10K, winner guaranteed $15K. No celeb games in season 18. From season 19-on, runners up guaranteed $20K, winner guaranteed $50K, save for the Invitational tourney Michael Mckean won.
bleezy
Valued Contributor

Post by bleezy »

At the end of the week we should poll to see how many of these celebs people have actually heard of.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Bamaman wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:

Penn Jillette
Mo Rocca
Neil Flynn
Cynthia Rowley
Since he doesn't speak, he might not make a good contestant. But he'd have $1,000 to play FJ, which is written, so it might work.
Thanks for explaining my joke to me.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

jeff6286 wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:

Penn Jillette
Mo Rocca
Neil Flynn
Cynthia Rowley
Thanks for explaining my joke to me.
Hey, I only just now realized part of the joke might be a guy named "Teller" who doesn't speak! :)

It would be interesting if in private Teller won't shut up and Penn is the shy one.
okstater04
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by okstater04 »

Are celebrities THAT scared of going on Celebrity Jeopardy that agents have to dig deep to the likes of Cynthia Rowley before they find someone who will say yes?
DysonSphere

Post by DysonSphere »

okstater04 wrote:Are celebrities THAT scared of going on Celebrity Jeopardy that agents have to dig deep to the likes of Cynthia Rowley before they find someone who will say yes?
I'm sure their agents nix it for most of the big established names, even if the celebs would be willing. The risk of becoming another "dumb celeb" meme outweighs any potential benefits 100:1. Wolf Blitzer comes to mind as a cautionary tale.
SwanShadow
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by SwanShadow »

Bamaman wrote:I think for each TOC they should have every player designate a charity. Jeopardy! would then make a donation to that charity in each players' name based on how much they won.
Something like that has been done at least once. When we played Battle of the Bay Area Brains, all of the "score money" was donated to various functions of the American Red Cross. The three of us who competed got home entertainment prize packages from Sony instead of cash.
Michael Rankins
ToC '88; Super J! '90; BoBAB '98; UToC '05; BotD Fan Favorite Reject, '14
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
It would be interesting if in private Teller won't shut up and Penn is the shy one.
This is indeed what I hear. Teller has a Woody Allen-ish accent. (Less so than I thought: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDimXOyT2ic)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

This will not be the first rodeo for Mo Rocca: http://www.kabrina.com/wbsm/3075.html

I'm glad to see Neil Flynn is doing it. Patricia Heaton has talked about him doing a lot of reading on set and it will interesting to see if he is more like his character on Scrubs or The Middle. I wish it was a four podiern game with the kids from The Middle as well taking on pops. I've seen Patricia Heaton on celebrity Millionaire and she needs to avoid such things at all costs.

A poll to see about the celebs known to us after we know the 15 sounds like a fun idea. Penn Jillette and Aaron Rogers would be the top 2 unless there is someone more famous not revealed yet.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Teller being a chatterbox off camera sounds plausible but from what I've seen of Penn he seems to be the type that loves the sound of his own voice, I call b******t that he's actually shy.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MDaunt wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
This is indeed what I hear. Teller has a Woody Allen-ish accent. (Less so than I thought: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDimXOyT2ic)
Yep. Scuttlebutt is the stage personas are backwards than in real life.

A particularly neat anecdote of mine is, after watching Penn & Teller at the Rio, if you stuck around well after the show they'd sign autographs. I was the last in line to get Teller's and we talked a bit about their transparent cups and balls routine.

Wonder if "had a short conversation with Teller" is worthy of the anecdote card?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey

Post by davey »

MDaunt wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
He's been doing plenty of speaking recently. He would probably do well-

http://on.aol.com/video/teller-speaks-- ... -518105942
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Volante wrote:A particularly neat anecdote of mine is, after watching Penn & Teller at the Rio, if you stuck around well after the show they'd sign autographs. I was the last in line to get Teller's and we talked a bit about their transparent cups and balls routine.

Wonder if "had a short conversation with Teller" is worthy of the anecdote card?
I would say so. Definitely!

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.