Tuesday, April 21, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Tuesday, April 21, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Volante »

I figured FJ from knowing what 'see' touched both Germany and Finland. 'ost' was a dead end.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
HostWithTheMost
Valued Contributor

Post by HostWithTheMost »

I'm sorry, this was a brutal game to watch. I'll refrain about saying anything about any one player specifically, but all were guilty of some really bad and desperate guessing at virtually every stage of the game.
bleezy
Valued Contributor

Post by bleezy »

That was kind of aggravating. Baltic was laughably easy, no one got celestial or Cat on a Hot Tin Roof? Alex must be rolling over in his grave.

I miss him already.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

floridagator wrote:This was a refreshing mellow game after weeks of players bouncing all over the board and trying desperately to increase payouts.
I recall someone making a concerted effort to win in recent games, but no one trying desperately to increase payouts. If it weren't for my understanding of the word "hubris," I'd use it against this comment somehow.

I recognized that "ost" meant "east," but a) I took it as a cue for a directional sea and b) I totally went west while thinking east.
willwoodlen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by willwoodlen »

Okay, so the game was a comedown from the previous week's slugfests. At least all the contestants eventually built up some decent scores going into FJ. At one point it seemed the leader would be lucky to reach $5000, and Rachel pretty much stopped playing altogether.

And, yes, that is how people in Norwood, MA speak. Take it from someone whose mother's pronunciation of "fork" cannot be phonetically reproduced here.
yclept
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by yclept »

Even if we didn't have Alex's games last week, this would have ranked as one very bad game of Jeopardy.

The returning champ saw how Alex played, decided to play along with him, won the game...and yet still comes back playing a basic game. Not saying there is any one way to win at Jeopardy, but when a strategy leads to a big win..perhaps you should try it again?

Oh well, Julia's first game was a mess as well...so maybe the new champion will surprise us with a nice run.
danspartan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by danspartan »

Category 13 wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:Putting aside that he might as well have bet it all, since he had to get it right to win anyway, did Todd forget that Michael had that extra dollar??? That FJ wager was dreadful.
Yeah, I was kind of hoping Michael would get his answer wrong when I saw that.

And I would have advised Rachel to wager in the 1005-3801 range.
Actually paused my DVR to yell at my screen that I hoped Michael would miss and Todd would lose by $1.

(and yes I feel a little bad about myself for doing so)
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

The question about Rand-McNally was anachronistic since at the time they issued that product, they were based in Chicago. They moved to Skokie later.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
DysonSphere

Post by DysonSphere »

My wife and I are from Massachusetts and lived in the Boston area for over two decades. We have never heard an accent like that. It was like a parody of what an actor might think people in Massachusetts sound like.

Not trying to hate. We were just blown away by it. :shock:
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

yclept wrote: The returning champ saw how Alex played, decided to play along with him, won the game...and yet still comes back playing a basic game. Not saying there is any one way to win at Jeopardy, but when a strategy leads to a big win..perhaps you should try it again?
That was my biggest criticism of the game too, and I believe it wasn't the first time this happened, I think the person who beat Arthur did the same thing.

(Speaking of Alex and Arthur (and David Madden and of course Chuck Forrest) using the Forrest bounce to parlay their time on into big wins, it's interesting to note that Julia Collins and Ken Jennings didn't, as far as I can recall, use the Forrest bounce and won even more games!)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

floridagator wrote:The question about Rand-McNally was anachronistic since at the time they issued that product, they were based in Chicago. They moved to Skokie later.
Ooh, that reminded me of my most favorite miss.
Company in Skokie, Illinois? Quartet. I was laughing for the next 10 questions.
Spoiler
Michael Brady IS Verbal Kint!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I was disappointed Michael didn't pronounce Cuba as "Cuber." [Expect the Spanish $1,200]

I don't track my Coryat, but yesterday's Jeopardy round seemed difficult to me. DJ seemed better and FJ was a gimme.
DysonSphere

Post by DysonSphere »

yclept wrote:The returning champ saw how Alex played, decided to play along with him, won the game...and yet still comes back playing a basic game. Not saying there is any one way to win at Jeopardy, but when a strategy leads to a big win..perhaps you should try it again?
Isn't it rational to play riskier when you know you are against an extremely strong player who has won multiple games? Then dial it back after you win?

Seemed like a lot of bad guesses were the culprit to me, but admittedly, I was in and out of the room trying to put the one-year-old to bed.

FJ was instaget, although I knew there would be at least one North Sea answer.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Maybe it was me, but the writing seemed to be just plain off tonight. There were way too many clues where I was staring at the screen wondering what it was they were looking for. I think that's partially what resulted in all the guessing.

TPH: Here's today's assignment. Get out a map. They have a few on the Internet. Try maps.google.com. Find Germany. Good. Now find Finland. Now what body of water lies between them? The Baltic Sea. That is how people figured out the answer. And for the rest of you, I will repeat there is a whole thread to respond to his questions. Especially when he insists his question is still unanswered. I put my answer here so that people would see it and the reference to the TPH thread. Give a man a fish ...
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

alietr wrote:Maybe it was me, but the writing seemed to be just plain off tonight. There were way too many clues where I was staring at the screen wondering what it was they were looking for. I think that's partially what resulted in all the guessing.

TPH: Here's today's assignment. Get out a map. They have a few on the Internet. Try maps.google.com. Find Germany. Good. Now find Finland. Now what body of water lies between them? The Baltic Sea. That is how people figured out the answer. And for the rest of you, I will repeat there is a whole thread to respond to his questions. Especially when he insists his question is still unanswered. I put my answer here so that people would see it and the reference to the TPH thread. Give a man a fish ...
Although, alietr, to be absolutely fair to TPH, unless you have said map in your head, there's less of a chance you'd get it, I doubt anyone went to maps.google.com during Final Jeopardy to get the answer, so that wouldn't be how they figured out. Many of us like geography enough to have a pretty decent map, including maps of northeast Europe, in our heads. I'm one of them because I've been absolutely head over heels for maps for about 35 years now. However, plenty do not, from what we all know about TPH, he isn't. (However, he can probably name the last 5 people to duet with Trishia Yearwood, I cannot. That's the tradeoff he chose.) So your statement is slightly misleading in that seeing on a map is not how we figured out the answer, as we didn't consult a map. *Knowing* the map is. But, this still remains useful advice for him in that many of the things that are asked that we get we know. Mainly from making a point to learn. So stop asking us how we know such and such, TPH! If you cannot, or will not learn it, just chalk yourself up to the fact that it's not something you know and leave it at that. No shame in that, millions of viewers have that no problem (my wife included) and don't even ask those who do know how they knew that. They just enjoy watching the game. Perhaps you'd enjoy the game more too if you stop worrying about such things.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Maybe draw Mr. Kendall a map to the thread in question? Being such a geography geek, you'd think he'd know the way...
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

This Is Kirk! wrote:I was disappointed Michael didn't pronounce Cuba as "Cuber." [Expect the Spanish $1,200]
Even the closed captioners must've been amused by "What is Caaaahs?" because they indicated his Boston accent.

(Fun fact: The animation buff didn't get that one.)

I didn't pick up on ost = east even though I took two years of German. I hate "well, it kinda sorta vaguely sounds like a cognate" clues because what sounds like something to one person doesn't to another. Remember Annapurna on the 16th?
GhostStalker
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by GhostStalker »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:I was disappointed Michael didn't pronounce Cuba as "Cuber." [Expect the Spanish $1,200]
Even the closed captioners must've been amused by "What is Caaaahs?" because they indicated his Boston accent.

(Fun fact: The animation buff didn't get that one.)

I didn't pick up on ost = east even though I took two years of German. I hate "well, it kinda sorta vaguely sounds like a cognate" clues because what sounds like something to one person doesn't to another. Remember Annapurna on the 16th?
Not a good example, since Annapurna sounds Indian to anyone remotely familiar with the subcontinent, as almost everyone in that thread was quick to tell you.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

dhkendall wrote:
yclept wrote: The returning champ saw how Alex played, decided to play along with him, won the game...and yet still comes back playing a basic game. Not saying there is any one way to win at Jeopardy, but when a strategy leads to a big win..perhaps you should try it again?
That was my biggest criticism of the game too, and I believe it wasn't the first time this happened, I think the person who beat Arthur did the same thing.

(Speaking of Alex and Arthur (and David Madden and of course Chuck Forrest) using the Forrest bounce to parlay their time on into big wins, it's interesting to note that Julia Collins and Ken Jennings didn't, as far as I can recall, use the Forrest bounce and won even more games!)
In the end, the person that answers the most questions right normally will win, or have the lead going into FJ. I really don't get the Forrest bounce. As a viewer who is trying to answer, it makes me concentrate on the category for each clue. Yes, the forrest bounce helps me to stay on topic regarding the clue, and get more correct answers than when people are just going down a category. At least it seems that way. On the show, I would never bounce, I think it makes the competation concentrate better.

Further, the Forrest bounce does not help you get to the daily doubles any smarter or quicker than what Alex was doing last week. Alex was going toward the bottom of a category and staying in that category for a question or two trying to find a daily double. What Alex was doing was far smarter than just jumping around the board. He was trying to find the daily double in the category he felt strong in, which is a another reason the forrest bounce doesn't really help you. It seems to me that bouncing all over the board only seems to work, if you are stronger player than the other players, and if you are a stronger player, why the gimic?

IMO, Alex and his strategy was about as perfect as you can be playing the game. Also, I feel comfortable on this daily double, I'm betting a ton. I don't feel comfortable, I'm betting next to nothing. If you are playing against people as good as you, this is giving yourself the best chance to win, but it really takes guts. It doesn't surprise me to see that a poker player would play this way.
Last edited by Sherm on Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Even if you didn't clue in that the "ost" meant anything, the mere fact that they mention German and Finnish tends to suggest a body of water between Germany and Finland.