Friday, April 24, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mxc_takeshi
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, April 24, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by mxc_takeshi »

36 right.

Last (3), Holly (3), Afraid (2), Art (3), Sh (4), Intrepid (2)
Old (4), His (5), Lit (4), Word (0), Pop (4), Potpourri (2)

Lach Trash: "Grant Wood"

Instaget FJ- knew he died in a car crash on September 30, 1955.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

After Alex gave the explanation about the answer to the 'Talkie' clue that Greg was negged on, I was thoroughly confused at what it even said.
I'd have to see the archive to unravel it but it seemed like a hot mess.

And the way Alex told Greg he got the 11,000 DD correct was too much like Meredith Vieira toying with the contestant's emotion on Millionaire.

FJ was one of those 'before Alex finishes reading the clue' gets for me.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

bpmod wrote:
Category 13 wrote:Michael Cooper is not nearly as well known as Armstrong & Aldrin, especially
since his name is Michael Collins.

Brian
:oops: Yep. Brain fart.

I'm going to edit it to correct.
Last edited by Category 13 on Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Category 13 wrote:After Alex gave the explanation about the answer to the 'Talkie' clue that Greg was negged on, I was thoroughly confused at what it even said.
It was the word last alphabetically in that particular line (first line in the movie in question, I think).
Category 13 wrote:FJ was one of those 'before Alex finishes reading the clue' gets for me.
For me, it was even before he started to read.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Actors is usually a category I run away from, but if I can get the FJ, you know it's easy. I predict over 95% of the boardies will get this.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Instaget FJ and 40R for goats. Remember these three films: Giant, East of Eden, Rebel w/o a Cause. WIth Natalie Wood & Dennis Hopper as 'Goon.' Perfect bad boy moniker.

No get on "Trojan Horse." Very risky wager, I wouldn't have bet so much in this cat, way to pull it out in nick of time!

Well played no trash, at least none for me. Pre-called Zechariah for last book of Old Testament alphabet, half-expected to see "zzz" for snore, perhaps Zagreb, but alas, no see-ums.
Wyoming and Zack Taylor showed up though. Nailed Collins, heh! IMHO the Al Jolson quote "YOU ain't heard nothin' yet" was wayyy tooo deeep to reach... good try with 'nothin' but not alpha!

Wesleyan>>> Pavlov: Methodist, TPH. Just is. Read about John & Charles Wesley.

Was excited to see "Beautiful one has come" (Evokes Byron; "She walks in beauty") For NeferTITI; do not confuse with "Beautiful Companion" = NeferTARI, Ramses II spouse. I recall as: R for Ramses, his 'beautiful companion' was R for NefertaRi, queen with the largest tomb in Valley of Queens, and also had a temple at Abu Simbel, which was relocated to preserve it during Aswan Dam construction and creation of Lake Nasser. Other queens' name meanings include; "Foremost of Noble Ladies" = Hatshepsut, occasionally recurring, and most famous, "Glory of her father" from Greek Kleos = Glory + Pater = father; Cleopatra (VII).

NefertiTi was wife to AkhenaTen, AKA Amenhotep IV; 'T' > 'T', EZ, eh? She was succeeded after a brief interregnum by King Tutenkhamun "Tut" (disc: Howard Carter, 1922, sponsor: 5th Earl of Carnarvon), Tut was NOT her son however, but rather by another of Akhenaten's wives, probably a sister. All DD fodder!

Schools and history, so many great clues: Wm & Mary appearing again, and 'colorful' RI school = Brown; Georgetown (Hoyas) 1789 "Catholic & Jesuit School." Templars disbanded by Pope Clement V in 1307 (finalized in 1312); longest sitting senator until John Dingell of MI passed him in 2013, but still longest serving member with House/Senate terms totaling 57 years = Robert Byrd, 1959 - 2010 (We so need term limits!) No get on Christina Rossetti = Dante Rossetti's sister! Author of Goblin Market, she never attained the fame of Elizabeth Barrett Browning.
How do I love thee? Let me count the ways...

Cover art, Christina Rossetti's Goblin Market and Other Poems (1862), by her brother Dante Gabriel Rossetti
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
Fleeboy

Post by Fleeboy »

bpmod wrote:
Category 13 wrote:After Alex gave the explanation about the answer to the 'Talkie' clue that Greg was negged on, I was thoroughly confused at what it even said.
It was the word last alphabetically in that particular line (first line in the movie in question, I think).

Brian
I knew the line (Al Jolson says it at about the 17:25 mark of "The Jazz Singer"), but blurted out "yet" instead of "you".
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Like Fleeboy I also blurted out "yet" on the Jolson clue. It was the kind of category Ken Jennings has for lunch.

I have the combined Coryat at 44000, so great job by the fellows other than Gene Autry "Singing Cowboy"/Angels needing a rebound.

What a dream FJ! clue for a leader compared to the worst thing for trailers to see.

For those who like such things about contestant names: Anyone want to find the previous game with all three players having 4-letter first names?

While I'm happy to have my FJ! streak at 10 correct it would have been at 16 if I had not given away

spoiler for Friday 4/10
Spoiler
Rasputin
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

On the Apollo clue I mistakenly thought of 13 instead of 11 and said Swigert.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

It's only the most important line of dialogue in movie history, creating a bright line between the silent era and the talking era.

...but I went with 'yet' instead of 'you'. I'd say that's pretty evil negbait right there: "Wait a minute, wait a minute, you ain't heard nothing yet" and the 'yet', being the last word, sticks with you a LOT more than the 'you' tucked all cozy like in the middle there.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I think the problem was Alex just quoted the entire line without ever saying explicitly what word they were going for.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Bamaman wrote:I think the problem was Alex just quoted the entire line without ever saying explicitly what word they were going for.
He did, but I'm not surprised people missed it in retrospect. I knew what to listen for, but it sounded like Peter Griffin saying all 50 states in under a second...

The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
willwoodlen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by willwoodlen »

Bamaman wrote:Gutsy bet by Greg that paid off on that late DD. I missed it, because I was trying to think of a word that came from another word, such as Herculean and not a phrase like Trojan Horse.

FJ was an instaget, James Dean seems to come up a good bit on FJ.

I was thinking in terms of a word, too. When he said "Trojan Horse" I was sure he was way off. Imagine my surprise...
DHicton
ToC, Class of '07

Post by DHicton »

Category 13 wrote:
Abraxas wrote:
Bamaman wrote:Anybody want to weigh in on the issue of BMSing Williams for the singer?
Hank Williams Jr. was a popular singer in the same era as Andy Williams. Also, to a lesser extent, Billy Williams, Danny Williams, Larry Williams, and Maurice Williams.
And there's always the possibility it could have been Brian Williams.

HAHAHAHAHA!
DHicton
ToC, Class of '07

Post by DHicton »

It was pleasant to hear Alex pronounce Degas correctly for once. Yay, Trebek!

For the "mediaevalist" style of writing, I said "Pre-Raphaelite" instead of Gothic, because the middle ages preceded the Renaissance, but I'd have to see the clue again to retrace my thinking. Funny how after I said "Pre-Raphaelite", the Rossettis were mentioned in another clue/response.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $36,400
45 R/2 W
DD: 2/3; couldn't come up with Wesleyan to save my life
FJ: Instaget, just like the rest of America
LT: Grant Wood, Capital (in the 21st Century)
C: Radio City Music Hall, Philippines, Dark Side of the Moon

That was one of the easiest FJ!s I've ever seen.

Given Greg's choice of jacket and bald head, I can only assume he is planning to win one...million...dollars.

Greg's DD wager was gutsy but definitely not optimal. If he was going to bet enough to take himself out of the game with a miss, he should have just gone virtual TDD and put himself in position for a lock with a get.
doihavetoreally wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
Anybody want to weigh in on the issue of BMSing Williams for the singer?
Couple of strange BMSs this week. I hope this is not a new rule. Lot of my gets are last name only.

Good game today. The champ plays like a boardie...another long run?
What's odd about BMSing an extremely common last name in a large field like singing? That's precisely the type of response for which the BMS exists.
Sprinkles are for winners.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Volante wrote:
Bamaman wrote:I think the problem was Alex just quoted the entire line without ever saying explicitly what word they were going for.
He did, but I'm not surprised people missed it in retrospect. I knew what to listen for, but it sounded like Peter Griffin saying all 50 states in under a second...
Okay, that was kinda funny. But if only because they got through a whole sentence without a.) filibustering about anyone who is not of the same beliefs as Seth, b.) making a lolrandom reference under the (false) assumption that a name-drop is in and of itself a punchline, c.) or dragging the joke out 75 times longer than necessary.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Greg's playing great so far. I liked that 11k wager. Looking forward to seeing him next week.
JeopRDFan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JeopRDFan »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Given Greg's choice of jacket and bald head, I can only assume he is planning to win one...million...dollars.
Ha, ha -- good one. I thought Dr. Evil as well, but I'm guessing it's a chef's outfit. I was hoping the FJ would have been a bit more challenging, but I'll take the instaget gladly. Awesome game all around.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Bamaman wrote:Anybody want to weigh in on the issue of BMSing Williams for the singer?
Indeed. The clue was "Moon River singer." Andy Williams is credited with making it popular, but the big hit single in the UK was had by Danny Williams. So there were two "Moon River singers" named Williams. I precalled Andy Williams for the category because I knew he did the W. I also precalled Jack Lemmon who paid for one of the other L's, but it didn't come up.

I got the TS Grant Wood but took the negbait on Uruguay.

Eric got his lunch eaten all over the board. He's a political science professor but got beaten on Byrd, income inequality, and I think he only got one in the colleges category. That DD had to sting since he's from Connecticut.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.