Friday, April 24, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dirkgonnadirk
Contributor

Re: Friday, April 24, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by dirkgonnadirk »

JayK33 wrote:Greg's playing great so far. I liked that 11k wager. Looking forward to seeing him next week.
Can you please explain what you liked about it?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

If he had missed that DD and the last few clues played the same, he could still have won on a sole solve in FJ.
danspartan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by danspartan »

11K is actually a terrible wager.

If he bets it all, he is very likely to have a lock game if he answers correctly. Its an $800 clue and what is typically a category than the answer can be figured out based on the clue and common knowledge, not some obscure fact he may or may not now. His odds of getting it right are 60%-ish. 60% chance to win the game right there.

At 11K, he is basically out of it if he gets it wrong.
11K-wrong-lets give him a 10% to win still by some miracle of running the remaining clues and big dumb bets by the leaders and he's a solo get in FJ.
11K-right, he still has to get FJ correct, or at least he and 2nd both miss. Lets say he's 75% to win in FJ.

OK-some math. If the DD is 60/40
60% x 75% =45% overall win chance if he gets it right
40% x 10% =4% overall win chance if he gets it wrong.
Total is around 50%, and I've been generous.

60%>>50%. Betting it all is not only gutsy, its the right play and its not even close.
Fleeboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Fleeboy »

nserven wrote:On the Apollo clue I mistakenly thought of 13 instead of 11 and said Swigert.
I misread it as Apollo 13 and was thinking "There was Lovell and Haise; who was the third guy?"
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

FJ was obvious, but... Considering that Dean was going 55 mph and the accident was 100% the other driver's fault, the writers' use of "ironically" is Alanisesque.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

gnash wrote:FJ was obvious, but... Considering that Dean was going 55 mph and the accident was 100% the other driver's fault, the writers' use of "ironically" is Alanisesque.
I'd say it's still ironic, possibly even more so if he was driving safely. But then several things in the Alanis song are ironic also. Irony can be an elusive concept and reasonable people can disagree.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Volante wrote:...but I went with 'yet' instead of 'you'. I'd say that's pretty evil negbait right there: "Wait a minute, wait a minute, you ain't heard nothing yet" and the 'yet', being the last word, sticks with you a LOT more than the 'you' tucked all cozy like in the middle there.
The sentence starts with "you". To me it's pretty prominent. But I see your point.

If you want truly evil negbait, I offer you the final clue in the TWO TIMES--"SH" category. The contestants have already made two guesses that don't fit the rule. "SH" needs to occur TWO TIMES in the response. "Washing machine" and "sureshot" fail the test. (Admittedly, they both have two occurrences of the SH sound.) So I couldn't help holding my breath and crossing my fingers when the next clue asked for an adjective found before "grin".
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

gnash wrote:FJ was obvious, but... Considering that Dean was going 55 mph and the accident was 100% the other driver's fault, the writers' use of "ironically" is Alanisesque.
So, what do you know that those who investigated or witnessed the crash do not?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

danspartan wrote:11K is actually a terrible wager.

If he bets it all, he is very likely to have a lock game if he answers correctly. Its an $800 clue and what is typically a category than the answer can be figured out based on the clue and common knowledge, not some obscure fact he may or may not now. His odds of getting it right are 60%-ish. 60% chance to win the game right there.

At 11K, he is basically out of it if he gets it wrong.
11K-wrong-lets give him a 10% to win still by some miracle of running the remaining clues and big dumb bets by the leaders and he's a solo get in FJ.
11K-right, he still has to get FJ correct, or at least he and 2nd both miss. Lets say he's 75% to win in FJ.

OK-some math. If the DD is 60/40
60% x 75% =45% overall win chance if he gets it right
40% x 10% =4% overall win chance if he gets it wrong.
Total is around 50%, and I've been generous.

60%>>50%. Betting it all is not only gutsy, its the right play and its not even close.
Let's look at the pre-FJ scores again.
Plactus wrote: Greg Seroka: $28,200+$7,000=$35,200...now a 2-day champion with $60,601
Eric Fleury: $17,400+$12,600=$30,000
Chip Brookes: $12,400+$9,201=$21,601
Subtract $22,000 from Greg's pre-FJ score, and (if everything plays as it did after the DD) he's got $6,200 entering FJ: exactly half of Chip's total, and more than Eric's lead over Chip. Although he would have lost given the triple get on FJ, he would not have been reliant on "big dumb bets" from Chip and Eric for any chance to win. In fact, given the lock-tie with a trailing player within two thirds of the leader's score, he might have needed only Eric to get FJ wrong (as Chip would have had good reason to wager $0). The way I see it, Greg made the maximum wager to still have a reasonable chance on the downside, and got himself a crush game (which would have guaranteed a victory on both a triple get and a triple stumper, the two most common FJ outcomes) when the upside played out.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Setting aside wagering strategies for the moment, all three contestants were strong players and the game was fun to watch. Kudos to all!
Silverfox
Don't Step on My Tail!

Post by Silverfox »

Holy cow!! This was my best game ever!!
26 correct in the J round and 24 in the DJ round. Also got FJ (like everyone else here).
I like the Dr. Evil reference. Sometimes the humor here is really clever and good. Keep it up guys.
Be alert. Stupid never takes a day off!
dexterG
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by dexterG »

xxaaaxx wrote:
MitchO wrote:In before someone says the word "hubris". :lol:

(The word I thought was "ballsy" btw :!: )
Same here. I was preparing for something small like 2000. Nice! And it helped to defeat that Red Sox turncoat, even better! :twisted:

Not sure which was more insultingly easy, Zachary Taylor as a "alphabetically last pres first name" DD, or "this actor died in a car wreck in 1955" FJ.
Couldn't agree more with the Zachary Taylor and James Dean comment.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

StevenH wrote:I loved the DJ round categories. I wish that the writers would mainly stick to the "old school" approach.
Hah, I thought it was quite clever. For those who might have missed it, all of the categories in the DJ! round this game (save the first one, which was LET'S GO OLD SCHOOL!) were the in the one-word, classic-category style of the pre-Ben Stein era. Granted, the gag wasn't as subtle as DIE FLEDERMAUS a few shows ago, but it was there for the fans.

There was an obvious edit in Chip Brookes's interview segment, with him responding to a question that wasn't asked. Alex probably said something about how "it's beautiful country, isn't it?"

ETA: Just watched the James Dean clip. Thanks for posting. There was more irony in that interview than the FJ! clue let on.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Robert K S wrote:
StevenH wrote:I loved the DJ round categories. I wish that the writers would mainly stick to the "old school" approach.
Hah, I thought it was quite clever. For those who might have missed it, all of the categories in the DJ! round this game (save the first one, which was LET'S GO OLD SCHOOL!) were the in the one-word, classic-category style of the pre-Ben Stein era. Granted, the gag wasn't as subtle as DIE FLEDERMAUS a few shows ago, but it was there for the fans.
What was the gag in Fledermaus?
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Volante wrote:
Category 13 wrote:After Alex gave the explanation about the answer to the 'Talkie' clue that Greg was negged on, I was thoroughly confused at what it even said.
I'd have to see the archive to unravel it but it seemed like a hot mess.
It's only the most important line of dialogue in movie history, creating a bright line between the silent era and the talking era.

...but I went with 'yet' instead of 'you'. I'd say that's pretty evil negbait right there: "Wait a minute, wait a minute, you ain't heard nothing yet" and the 'yet', being the last word, sticks with you a LOT more than the 'you' tucked all cozy like in the middle there.
That's what I meant by the clue being a hot mess.

I saw a short video doc. yesterday that demonstrated how the brain can be easily tricked into coming up with the wrong conclusion.
Random people were asked to spell the word "shop". After they gave the answer s-h-o-p, they were asked: What do you do when you see a green light? Inexclusively the person would say 'stop' without blinking.
Another question was 'spell the word silk'. Followed by 'what do cows drink?'
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Robert K S wrote:
What was the gag in Fledermaus?
The preceding category was The New England Patriots. "Deflate-ermaus" was a sly reference to Deflategate.
Sprinkles are for winners.
El Jefe

Post by El Jefe »

opusthepenguin wrote:
I'd say it's still ironic, possibly even more so if he was driving safely. But then several things in the Alanis song are ironic also. Irony can be an elusive concept and reasonable people can disagree.
Here's one more situation where hypercorrective pedantry fails us. Irony has meant and continues to mean several different things to several different classes of people, and that we continue to limit it to what our freshman English teacher in high school told us it was (or professor, or authority we bestowed on ourselves with an English major) is unfortunate. One of my favorite disproofs of gnash's snark is F. Scott Fitzgerald notedly considering a successful project he had had worth $10,000 soon followed by an abject failure to be ironic. Two contradictory notions, success and failure, like wedding days and rain.

Alanis' song overuses the word, and many listeners (with Top40Radio's help) grow cold to the notion of granting anything the right to be called 'irony' because it starts to grate by conclusion. I think most of her situations can be best described by bad luck or coincidence, but where that ends and 'tragic coincidence or juxtaposition' begins is something no one agrees on. Perhaps you can creatively mishear her rhetorical question to be actual and answer "No" when she asks "Isn't it ironic?"
Last edited by El Jefe on Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davey

Post by davey »

El Jefe wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
Here's one more situation where hypercorrective pedantry fails us. Irony has meant and continues to mean several different things to several different classes of people, and that we continue to limit it to what our freshman English teacher in high school told us it was (or professor, or authority we bestowed on ourselves with an English major) is unfortunate. One of my favorite disproofs of gnash's snark is F. Scott Fitzgerald notedly considering a sucessful project he had had worth $10,000 to be followed by an abject failure to be ironic. Two contradictory notions, success and failure, like wedding days and rain.

Alanis' song overuses the word, and many listeners (with Top40Radio's help) grow cold to the notion of granting anything the right to be called 'irony' because it starts to grate by conclusion. I think most of her situations can be best described by bad luck or coincidence, but where that ends and 'tragic coincidence or juxtaposition' begins is something no one agrees on. Perhaps you can creatively mishear her rhetorical question to be actual and answer "No" when she asks "Isn't it ironic?"
Is it ironic that gnash's facts were questioned and gnash never bothered to back them up?
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

My understanding of the incident is limited to what's on the web, which is quite a lot, but I'm not sure how anyone who wasn't there could conclude "100%" fault in Turnupseed (the other driver) or either party for that matter. Dean was driving in a racing car, breaking it in while heading toward a car race, on a road used by racers to avoid going through town so as to be able to speed. He had already been issued a speeding ticket earlier in the day. Seconds before the crash, he ran a rancher off the road while passing another vehicle, according to testimony at the coroner's inquest. Turnupseed was cleared of wrongdoing and never charged. In perhaps a bit of Jedi foresight, no less than Obi-wan Kenobi took one look at the car Dean was driving and correctly foretold Dean would be dead in the car within a week.

The matter is still controversial. Some said the forensics don't add up to excessive speed--that nothing would have been left of Dean's aluminum car if he had been speeding when he crashed. Perhaps Dean wasn't really speeding when the officer issued him the ticket hours earlier--maybe the officer just wanted to bag a race car. Perhaps Dean wasn't being unsafe in passing and the rancher's testimony was fabricated. There is even some small amount of doubt that Dean was really the one driving (a beekeeper and his brother testified the mechanic was the driver--but the medics testified they found Dean's foot crushed between the pedals). Even so, if Dean's car was exceeding the speed limit, it's difficult to pin "100%" of the blame on Turnupseed. As a legal matter, Turnupseed was 0% at fault.