Friday, May 1, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, May 1, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7060, 2015-05-01

Greg Seroka game 7.

CONTESTANTS
Amanda Garrett, a telecommunications technician from Greenville, South Carolina
Chris Gunter, a stay-at-home parent from Rochester, New York
Greg Seroka, a chef from Steamboat Springs, Colorado (whose 6-day cash winnings total $150,800)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. What can I tell you about our champion, Greg Seroka, ladies and gentlemen? It's obvious he knows a lot about many subjects, and it has paid off handsomely as a contestant with us. Amanda and Chris, good to have you with us also. And good luck to you. Here we go. The Jeopardy! Round for the three of you. One Daily Double in this one, and here are the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
BOOKS BY CELEBS (3/3)
TRAVELING (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
CARD TRICKS (5/5)
TECHNOLOGY & STUFF (3/4)
"OLO" (5/5)
THE VOYAGE OF THE BOUNTY (4/5) (Sarah: We're taking you on [*], both before and after the infamous mutiny.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Greg: 10 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Chris: 6 R, 0 W
Amanda: 6 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Greg: $3,200
Chris: $1,800
Amanda: $1,200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: It may be hard to believe at first, but Jeopardy! can be an aide to romance. Amanda Garrett discovered this. What happened?

Amanda: When I first started dating my husband Chris, I had a rickety old TV with a very temperamental rabbit ear antenna on it. And one of the ways that he won my heart was by standing in one place for 30 minutes so that I could watch Jeopardy! holding them exactly where they needed to go.

[Laughter]

Alex: I'd keep that guy.

Amanda: [Laughs] Plan to.

Alex: Chris Gunter is a stay-at-home parent from Rochester, New York, and also a hiker, and the information card about you says you have hiked the Adirondack 46.

Chris: That's right, Alex.

Alex: What is the...

Chris: The Adirondack 46 are the highest peaks in New York State. Uh, they were arbitrarily, um, capped at 4,000 and above, and we are now hiking them all in wintertime, my buddies and I.

Alex: Whoa.

Chris: So it's not for the faint of heart.

Alex: I wouldn't--I would think so, but in wintertime, you're gonna need what, skis or snowshoes?

Chris: Snowshoes, sometimes spikes.

Alex: Yeah? One at a time you do 'em, right? You're not trying to do all 46 in one week or something.

Chris: We get ambitious. We try to do two or three in a day sometimes.

Alex: Ooh, boy. Okay. Good for you.

Alex: Greg Seroka is our champion. He has won a lot of money, and he's already figured out a vacation he would like to take using part of that money.

Greg: It's true. While I was living in Germany, I had to cancel a trip to Russia, so I definitely think I'm gonna use some of this money to go to Russia, St. Petersburg, Moscow.

Alex: St. Petersburg--great city. Been there. Not Moscow. Great food in St. Petersburg, and if you are into vodka, probably a gazillion different kinds--

Greg: [Chuckles] Excellent. Excellent.

Alex: --to sample.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Greg found the Daily Double on the 18th clue. Greg had $3,600, Chris had $1,800, and Amanda was at $2,200. Greg made it a True Daily Double, wagering $3,600.

TRAVELING $800: A cold beer is just the thing to quench your thirst when cruising along this river in the capital of the Netherlands
(Greg: What is the Heineken River?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE VOYAGE OF THE BOUNTY $200: (Sarah of the Clue Crew reports.) The purpose of the Bounty's epic journey was to collect the seedlings from this tree that could be planted in the West Indies & grow tall to provide a staple food for slaves; the mutineers threw the carefully selected 1,015 specimens overboard

TRAVELING $400: Twice the size of Manhattan, this Colorado facility opened February 28, 1995 to replace Stapleton

TRAVELING $1000: Finding guidebooks of his time boring, this Hungarian started his own travel series with 1936's "On the Continent"

TECHNOLOGY & STUFF $1000: In 1994 Marc Andreessen offered this web browser based on Mosaic commercially to the world
(Greg: What is Netfli--N--sorry.)
(Alex: It was trying to come out of your brain, and it didn't quite make it through your mouth.)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Amanda: $3,800
Chris: $3,200
Greg: $0
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, May 1, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
TV "NIGHT" (5/5)
SCALY CRITTERS (2/3, including 1 correct Daily Double)
RELIGION (5/5)
NICE ENDING, SHAKESPEARE! (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Alex: We want you to name the play in...)
WARSAW PACT ALUMNI NATIONS (5/5)
RHYME SCHOOL (4/4) (Alex: Because each correct response in that category will rhyme with the word "school".)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Greg: 9 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Chris: 11 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Amanda: 6 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 1
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Chris snagged the next Daily Double on the 2nd clue. Greg had no money, Chris had $3,600, and Amanda was at $3,800. Chris made it a True Daily Double, wagering $3,600.

NICE ENDING, SHAKESPEARE! $1200: Caesar:
"No grave upon the earth shall clip in it A pair so famous... see High order in this great solemnity"

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Greg who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 26th clue. Greg had $12,000, Chris had $16,400, and Amanda was at $10,200. Greg wagered $4,500.

SCALY CRITTERS $2000: Due to microscopic scales, the name of this order, including moths & butterflies, means "scaly winged" in Greek

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SCALY CRITTERS $1600: This type of lizard likes to puff up the scaled membrane around its head when it gets scared
(Chris: What is a... komodo dragon?)
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]
(Alex: It's a tiny lizard compared to the komodo.)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Greg: $16,500
Chris: $14,800
Amanda: $10,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
VICE PRESIDENTS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Greg: Wager $13,101 to cover Chris.
Chris: You're faced with a legitimate choice in strategy. You can either choose to cover Amanda, hoping that you give the correct response and Greg doesn't, in which case you'll want to wager $5,601 to cover Amanda's doubled score, but no more than $11,400 if you want to top Greg on a Triple Stumper; or bet up to $4,599 and win if both Greg and Amanda miss Final.
Amanda: If you think Chris is going to wager to cover you, try wagering less than $1,000 to beat Greg and Chris on the Triple Stumper; or, if you think Chris is going to wager small in hopes of a Triple Stumper, wager between $4,601 (venusian, to top a $0 wager by Chris) and $10,200 (martian, which may win in some cases but may also risk dropping you from second to third place if you get Final wrong).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Of the 5 former vice presidents still living, he held the office the earliest

FINAL SCORES
Amanda: $10,200 - $10,100 = $100 (WHO IS George H.W. Bush?) (3rd place)
Chris: $14,800 + $5,601 = $20,401 (Who is Mondale?) (2nd place)
Greg: $16,500 + $13,101 = $29,601 (Who is Mondale?) (150801-day champion: $29,601)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $4,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Greg: $17,600, 19 R (including 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Chris: $12,400, 17 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Amanda: $10,200, 12 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $40,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Greg: 20/60 = .333
Chris: 18/59 = .305
Amanda: 12/58 = .207
Team: 50/63 = .794

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
CARD TRICKS $400: Library item of yore, seen here

THE VOYAGE OF THE BOUNTY $400: (Sarah of the Clue Crew reports.) Waiting for the plants to mature & avoiding monsoons, the Bounty was stuck for five months on this lush tropical island

THE VOYAGE OF THE BOUNTY $600: (Sarah of the Clue Crew reports.) After living the lush life in the South Pacific, the Bounty's crew found it difficult to return to the ship & this oppressive captain

THE VOYAGE OF THE BOUNTY $800: (Sarah of the Clue Crew reports.) A long-time friend of the captain, this first mate had planned an escape by raft, but several of the crew begged him to take the ship, and the mutiny began

THE VOYAGE OF THE BOUNTY $1000: (Sarah of the Clue Crew reports.) The mutineers first lived on Tubuai Island, but fights with the natives forced them to flee; some risked capture by returning to Tahiti, while the rest ended up hiding here on this island
(Alex: ...and I wanna thank Lindblad Expeditions for that great voyage to the South Sea with Sarah.)

"OLO" $400: Instrument heard here

"OLO" $600: Ball under & dry pass are terms from this sport
(Amanda: What is polo?)

BOOKS BY CELEBS $400: Naturally, TV's Barbara Eden dreamed up a memoir called this name "Out of the Bottle"
(Alex: Good, with less than a minute to go now.)

TECHNOLOGY & STUFF $800: This "colorful" format gave a new option when popping in a video; the first product of its kind came out in Japan in 2003
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCALY CRITTERS $400: The tartaruga da Amazonia is a species of this; it can weigh 130 pounds, with 35-inch shells & strong scaly legs
(Chris: What is an alligator?)

RELIGION $1200: Although it's unlikely they built the monument where they're operating, it's the religious group seen here

RELIGION $2000: In 1959, the religious leader seen here brought this influential technique to the West

RELIGION $400: Despite recent evidence of a 13th-century origin, the Vatican has encouraged scientific study of this religious relic

TV "NIGHT" $1600: Peter Krause & Josh Charles played co-anchors on this show set at the CSC Network
(Alex: With less than a minute, you are right.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
the Amstel River
breadfruit plants
Denver International Airport
Eugene Fodor
Netscape
Antony and Cleopatra
Lepidoptera
a frilled lizard
Walter Mondale
a card catalog
Tahiti
Bligh
Fletcher Christian
Pitcairn Island
a piccolo
water polo
Jeannie
Blu-ray
a turtle
the Druids
Transcendental Meditation
the Shroud of Turin
Sports Night
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Vice Presidents
Of the 5 former Vice Presidents still living, he held the office the earliest.

Spoiler
Who is Walter Mondale? Amanda said George H.W. Bush.

Greg Seroka: $16,500+$13,101=$29,601...now a 7-day champion with $180,401
Chris Gunter: $14,800+$5,601=$20,401
Amanda Garrett: $10,200-$10,100=$100
Last edited by jeff6286 on Fri May 01, 2015 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

A nice comeback for Greg, aided by a fairly simple DD in the bottom row. (Thanks to The Brady Bunch for teaching me lepidoptera). I don't know why the players stayed in Rhyme School after the time warning was given, the DD was unlikely to be there instead of the scaly creatures category. He probably should have bet more on the DD to keep from getting passed on one clue, though I was surprised they had time for more.

He didn't get it right, but good for Chris in taking a stab at the last clue of the game. He clearly had no idea, but he at least took a chance and guessed something.

In Greg's spot I'd have bet it all in FJ. It is a good category for me and they aren't going to answer for anyone obscure. So it is either going to be someone recent or someone who became president or someone who killed a former Treasury Secretary.

Also, his MSBIW would make it nearly impossible to win, so he might as well maximize his possible winnings. Of course, with that strategy, there is always the possibility of getting burned if the other two players bet poorly.

It turned out to be a pretty easy get. Ford and Rockefeller are both dead, so the next in line is Walter Mondale. A quick scan got me Cheney, Gore, Quayle and Bush for the other living XVPs, all of whom served after Mondale.

Alex said Greg will be back Monday, so no tournament next week.
Last edited by Bamaman on Fri May 01, 2015 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Bamaman wrote: It turned out to be a pretty easy get. Ford and Rockefeller are both dead, so the next in line is Walter Mondale. A quick scan got me Cheney, Gore, Quayle and Bush for the other living XVPs, all of whom served after Mondale.
Which is great if you remember that it was Mrs. Mondale who passed away recently. By the time I counted and realized I was short one former VP (initially thinking it was just living VPs), time was up. Another 5 seconds might have led me to conclude that Mr. Mondale must still be alive.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Elijah Baley wrote:
Bamaman wrote: It turned out to be a pretty easy get. Ford and Rockefeller are both dead, so the next in line is Walter Mondale. A quick scan got me Cheney, Gore, Quayle and Bush for the other living XVPs, all of whom served after Mondale.
Which is great if you remember that it was Mrs. Mondale who passed away recently. By the time I counted and realized I was short one former VP (initially thinking it was just living VPs), time was up. Another 5 seconds might have led me to conclude that Mr. Mondale must still be alive.
It was a little over a year ago, but I was unaware she had died. In checking out his Wikipedia page, I learned he is the longest lived former VP in our history. That matches nicely with Jimmy Carter, the longest lived former president.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Congrats on running the week, Greg. I knew you were a great contender since your impressive two wins last week. Good luck next week.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote:(Thanks to The Brady Bunch for teaching me lepidoptera).
Thanks to Alice Cooper (with an assist from Vincent Price) for teaching me lepidoptera.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

What an amazing comeback! Greg was wiped out in the J! round and was stuck at 4800 for most of DJ. He managed to rally and then take the lead with that DD late in DJ. LOL at the Heineken River!

I got the TSs Denver International Airport and Netscape, at least. FJ was instaget for me.

Who else will give credit to "The Simpsons" for coming up with Albania? In an early episode, can it really be almost 25 years ago, Bart got sent to France as punishment for a school prank and the Simpsons took in an Albanian exchange student, Adil Hoxha, who was really a spy.
Elijah Baley wrote: Which is great if you remember that it was Mrs. Mondale who passed away recently.
Mondale's only daughter died recently also.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

That was a weird game to watch. Chris had the champ on the ropes...then acted as if he were allergic to finding (and denying Greg) the other DD. I wonder how awful it must've felt seeing Lepidoptera as a 2k DD... :roll:

...or for that matter, this slam dunk FJ. Sorry Alex, this wasn't that great a clue. Maybe if you had asked us who was the oldest or some other fact, it would've been better, but since the 5 living ex-VPs are also the last 5 VPs, just count backwards and stop when you hit Mondale.

Still, good game, and great comeback.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

floridagator wrote:What an amazing comeback! Greg was wiped out in the J! round and was stuck at 4800 for most of DJ.
I agree; it certainly was an amazing comeback. Congratulations, Greg, on your seventh win! All three players did well. I had 36 correct responses including three triple stumpers: Denver International Airport, Amstel, and Netscape. I got FJ with about 10 seconds to spare.
Leander

Post by Leander »

xxaaaxx wrote:That was a weird game to watch. Chris had the champ on the ropes...then acted as if he were allergic to finding (and denying Greg) the other DD. I wonder how awful it must've felt seeing Lepidoptera as a 2k DD... :roll:

...or for that matter, this slam dunk FJ. Sorry Alex, this wasn't that great a clue. Maybe if you had asked us who was the oldest or some other fact, it would've been better, but since the 5 living ex-VPs are also the last 5 VPs, just count backwards and stop when you hit Mondale.

Still, good game, and great comeback.
I would have voted for leaving out the "5 living" reference, which made it too easy. I wasn't sure Mondale was still alive, but the 5 gave it to me.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

It would have made for an interesting FJ if Mondale had died since the episode was taped.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote:It would have made for an interesting FJ if Mondale had died since the episode was taped.
The Jeopardy! curse?

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

An amazing comeback by Greg, the champ. That's when it gets down to the nitty-gritty, when you're at zero dollars and manage to claw back during Double Jeopardy.

Knowing what I know about publishing, the category of Books by Celebs should have been listed Alleged Books by Celebs.

FJ was pretty Instaget.
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

This was a great game and a great comeback! I also loved this board.

In Greg's spot on that last DD I would have loved to have bet all but a few dollars, but the category and dollar value would have scared me out of it and made me bet $5. I ended up knowing it, so that would have hurt.

I hate to admit it, but I had no idea if Mondale was still alive. Still, I was able to get the clue purely from doing the math.
KazooJ!fan
Valued Contributor

Post by KazooJ!fan »

I also went with GHW Bush. I was confused about which Mondale died recently.

Greg made a great comeback in DJ. I wonder how long his winning streak will last-today's game must have been scary for him to play since the challengers both were very good.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

27 right.

Books (3), Travel (1), Card (2), Tech (3), "OLO" (3), Bounty (2)
"Night" (3), Scaly (0), Religion (1), Shake (4), Warsaw (4), Rhyme (1)

Lach Trash: "Netscape"

An Instaget with Mondale to prevent 0-5 this week.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I thought "breadfruit" was waaaaaaaaay undervalued at $200. NHOI and the clue was too long to boot. Can we poll it?

Lach Trash: frilled lizard.

NHO Kirk Douglas or Chevy Colorado either.

I overthought Warsaw for $400 and was all "Well, what pact are they asking for?!"

No guess on FJ! Brainstormed a bit, but Mondale was nowhere on my radar.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I thought "breadfruit" was waaaaaaaaay undervalued at $200. NHOI and the clue was too long to boot. Can we poll it?
I'd agree (if there's room); I knew it (but wasn't able to pull the trigger in time) only because of my familiarization with the Bounty story, that's the only context I've ever heard breadfruit in - granted that was probably the justification for putting it at $200 (the Pavlovian Bounty fruit = breadfruit) but the fact that it was, if I recall, a Stand and Stare, might be a good reason to poll it. (Those kind of categories they like having clues in order of the voyage, but maybe they could have had something else for the beginning of the voyage?)

I've always had a fascination with that story, first learned of Pitcairn when I was younger and I'd read about it in my dad's ham radio magazines, my dad was a ham (still is, but doesn't operate much any more) and I read one day about how a lot of the islanders are ham radio operators because that's one of the few forms of communication on the island. Also my geekery of geographical data also makes it fascinating for me, since it routinely tops (or rather bottoms) the list of populated territories, with about 50 currently (and that's been steady for a few generations). Finally, as an anthematologist, I was fascinated to discover the history of the islands' local anthems. For such a small territory they have a very rich anthem history, and when I was researching their anthem I got to exchange communications with one twelfth of the entire territory along the way! (How many of you got to interview one twelfth of an entire territory before?)
TenPoundHammer wrote:NHO [...] Chevy Colorado
I thought all country music people innately know their trucks. :) (I got it from ads for that particular vehicle that run somewhat frequently.)