Tuesday, May 12, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, May 12, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7067, 2015-05-12

2015 Celebrity Jeopardy! game 2.

CONTESTANTS
Mark Kelly, an astronaut from
Kevin O'Leary, from Shark Tank
Aaron Rodgers, a the reigning NFL MVP from the Green Bay Packers

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. And welcome to you and to these celebrities who are here today representing three different and very competitive arenas. This should make for a lively contest today. Good luck. Here we go into the Jeopardy! Round. And here are your categories, gentlemen...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
NUMBER 12 (3/5)
BIBLE MVPs (3/5)
TRAVELING AMONGST THE STARS (4/5)
IT'S TRUE (4/5)
ALSO A BUSINESS TERM (0/0)
FOREBEARS (3/3, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Aaron: 9 R, 1 W
Mark: 6 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Kevin: 2 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 23
Triple Stumpers: 6
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,800

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Aaron: $2,000
Mark: $1,200
Kevin: -$400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Astronaut Mark Kelly is the first player we introduce today. You have a unique cheering section for you on the program today. In our audience, your lovely wife, former member of the House of Representatives, Gabby Giffords. We're delighted to have her here. And a couple hundred miles out in space, your twin brother, Scott, on the International Space Station. And he may be watching if his antenna is long enough. Now tell me about your charity, please.

Mark: So, I'm playing for Memorial Hermann Hospital in Houston, Texas, which is the hospital that Gabby stayed in for six months after she was nearly assassinated in Tucson, Arizona.

Alex: Okay, you're giving something back. Good for you. All right.

[Applause]

Alex: Kevin O'Leary. Mr. Wonderful from the Shark Tank. I get the feeling that the big stuff, the big successes are still going to come in technology and the Internet. Is that a fair statement, do you think?

Kevin: I think you just don't know, Alex, where it's gonna come from. That's what's so unique about this business. You have to make a lot of bets. You know with certainty that many of them will fail, but every once in a while, lightning strikes, and somebody becomes totally free.

Alex: Yeah.

Kevin: Financially free for the rest of their lives. It creates jobs, pays taxes, advances our society, solves problems for people. That's what makes America great.

Alex: Okay, now tell me about your charity, please.

Kevin: Martin P. Solomon--a charity out of Boston. He's a wonderful doctor, very active there. Try to encourage more people to get into medicine, more young people. It's a wonderful charity, I totally support it, and I love that doctor.

Alex: Okay. Good.

[Applause]

Alex: Aaron Rodgers is the only contestant on the program today who grew hair for his appearance.

[Laughter]

Alex: I'm not gonna talk to you about your Super Bowl win. I'm not gonna talk to you about your MVP awards. I want to pump you up and do a double check for you because I have noticed that although you take your work as a quarterback very seriously, you don't take yourself too seriously. And I've got to figure that helps you a lot in as competitive a game as NFL football.

Aaron: Well, it's a game. That's--that's why, uh, you can't take yourself too seriously. And I think you should consider, uh, some sort of celebration after a good show.

[Laughter]

Alex: I don't have the--the cheese head. All right, your charity, Aaron.

Aaron: It's the MACC Fund--Midwest Athletes Against Childhood Cancer. It's an amazing organization dedicated, uh, to funding, uh, childhood cancer and related blood disorder research.

Alex: All right. Another great charity.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Mark found the Daily Double on the 22nd clue. Aaron had $3,200, Kevin had $1,200, and Mark was at $2,600. Mark wagered $400.

FOREBEARS $600: For the Gagudju & other aboriginals of this country, "the Dreaming" is the time of their ancestor spirits
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
NUMBER 12 $600: A cost analysis of "The Twelve Days of Christmas" said these 12 12th day items would set you back $2,854.80

BIBLE MVPs $800: Jesus loved him enough to raise him from the dead in John 11
(Alex: Yeah, you knew that, Aaron. Should have rung in.)

NUMBER 12 $1000: In 1671 John Milton revised this epic poem into 12 books featuring God & Satan

IT'S TRUE $400: Covering barely 100 acres, it's the smallest country in Europe
(Mark: What is San Marino?)
(Kevin: What is Liechtenstein?)

TRAVELING AMONGST THE STARS $1000: These 2 female co-stars of "The Breakfast Club" attended a 30th anniversary celebration of the movie in 2015

BIBLE MVPs $1000: It was this MVP (most valuable prophet) who asked whether the leopard can change his spots
(Aaron: Who is John the Baptist?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Mark: $3,000
Aaron: $2,200
Kevin: $1,200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, May 12, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
LEADER OF THE PACK (5/5)
PHYSICAL SCIENCE (2/5)
CITIES IN SONG (5/5)
SHARK TANK (4/4, including 1 correct Daily Double)
"N" DEAVOUR (4/5)
5 BEARS (1/4, including 1 missed Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Aaron: 13 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Mark: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Kevin: 3 R (including 1 rebound), 4 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $9,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Aaron snagged the next Daily Double on the 25th clue. Aaron had $11,800, Kevin was in the red with -$2,800, and Mark was at $8,600. Aaron wagered $3,000.

5 BEARS $1200: Steve Wozniak left Cal to co-found this computer company but returned in 1981
(Aaron: What is IBM?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Aaron who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 28th clue. Aaron had $10,800, Kevin was in the red with -$2,800, and Mark was at $8,600. Aaron wagered $2,000.

SHARK TANK $1600: 1/3 of shark species are near extinction, partially due to human appetite for the soup named for this shark part
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
PHYSICAL SCIENCE $800: Nima Arkani-Hamed is using this number dimension, the next one beyond time, to rock the physics world
(Mark: What is the fourth dimension?)
(Aaron: What is the third dimension?)

"N" DEAVOUR $1600: The South West Africa People's Organization led this country to independence

PHYSICAL SCIENCE $1600: Willard Libby won a 1960 Nobel Prize for developing the use of this number isotope of carbon to gauge the age of fossils
(Kevin: What is carbon aging?)

PHYSICAL SCIENCE $2000: In March 2015 the Dawn spacecraft began orbiting this object in the asteroid belt, the first dwarf planet ever visited
(Kevin: What is Pluto?)
(Alex: No.)
(Mark: That's what I was gonna say.)

5 BEARS $1600: Scott Adams, the creator of this workplace comic strip, got an MBA from Berkeley

5 BEARS $2000: The class of '39 included this man, who developed a taste for acting at Berkeley

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Aaron: $12,800
Mark: $8,600
Kevin: -$2,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BUSINESS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place.
Aaron: Wager $4,401 to cover Mark.
Mark: Risk between $0 and $200.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
These 2 American businessmen are seen here in early 20th century photos

FINAL SCORES
Mark: $8,600 - $4,300 = $4,300 (Who are Ford + Pontiac) (2nd place)
Aaron: $12,800 - $4,401 = $8,399 (Who are Ernst & Young) (Winner)
(Alex: [To Kevin] You lose everything. You drop to $0.)
(Kevin: You're a bad man, Alex.)
(Alex: I know. ... I used to be Mr. Wonderful.)
(Alex: What piece of equipment do you see there? Motorcycles.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $14,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Aaron: $15,400, 22 R (including 1 DD), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Mark: $8,800, 11 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Kevin: -$2,800, 5 R, 5 W
Combined Coryat: $21,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Aaron: 22/60 = .367
Mark: 11/59 = .186
Kevin: 5/58 = .086
Team: 38/63 = .603

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
TRAVELING AMONGST THE STARS $600: In 1987 this actress was "The Princess Bride" on film; these days she's married to politics on Netflix
(Alex: With a minute to go.)

IT'S TRUE $1000: In NYC TLC stands for "Taxi &" this "Commission"
(Mark: What is licensed--[*]--what is [*] commission?)
(Alex: Thank you. Good correction.)

PHYSICAL SCIENCE $400: A bummer, man, or an aerodynamic force opposing an aircraft's motion through the air due to friction
(Kevin: What is a wing?)

CITIES IN SONG $400: Randy Newman:
"Looks like another perfect day, I love" this city
(Mark: "I love New York".)
(Mark: What is New York?)

CITIES IN SONG $2000: Bruce Springsteen:
"Oh brother, are you gonna leave me wasting away on the streets of" this city
(Kevin: What is New Jersey?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Australia
12 drummers drumming
Lazarus
Paradise Lost
the Vatican
Molly Ringwald & Ally Sheedy
Jeremiah
Apple
the fin
the fifth dimension
Namibia
carbon-14
Ceres
Dilbert
Gregory Peck
Harley & Davidson
Robin Wright
limo
drag
L.A.
Philadelphia
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Business
These 2 American businessmen are seen here in early 20th century photos.

FJ May 12th 2015.jpg
FJ May 12th 2015.jpg (86.55 KiB) Viewed 7907 times

Spoiler
Who are Harley and Davidson? Kevin said the Wright Brothers; Mark said Ford and Pontiac; Aaron said Ernst & Young.

Aaron Rodgers: $12,800-$4,401=$8,399...wins $50,000 for his charity
Mark Kelly: $8,600-$4,300=$4,300
Kevin O'Leary: $1,000-$1,000=$0
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue May 12, 2015 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

LOL @ Rodgers's FJ answer of Ernst & Young. As if J! would really expect anyone to recognize Alwyn Ernst and Arthur Young, who were never in business together, from photos. Each had his own accounting firm and died in 1948. It was not until 1989 that Ernst & Whinney (formerly Ernst & Ernst) merged with Arthur Young to form Ernst & Young. (That was the same year Deloitte Haskins & Sells merged with Touche Ross to form Deloitte & Touche, now just Deloitte. So no more "write off that loss with help from Touche Ross.") Big 8 -> Big 6 -> Big 5 -> Big 4

I considered the Wright brothers but never heard of them having anything to do with motorcycles, and was nonplussed by the description of them as "businessmen," so I decided to go with Harley & Davidson.

And hey! People on the board (including me) had a fit a few weeks ago when they didn't BMS Adams and Roosevelt. Should they BMSed Governor Brown today?
Last edited by floridagator on Wed May 13, 2015 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

That was not fun to watch. All three seemed like they didn't want to be up there and the game dragged. Kevin's kissy face during the intros got us off to a bad start. Luckily he didn't ring in often enough to get on a roll as I think he'd really have been annoying if he had done well. His attempts to be Mr. Bad Ass fell flat.

Some bad misses (San Marino and Liechtenstein) and nobody was really impressive. Far short of yesterday's game and even worse by comparing to watching Vijay/Roger/Stephanie on Daytime Jeopardy! right before it. It is 2000s Week, so tune in if your station carries it. Thank the J! gods I get to see real games this week by some of the best ever players.

Mark's lame DD bet was pretty bad. I will give Aaron some credit for DD hunting at the end.

Although they don't care if little girls run off stage crying if they don't make FJ, they don't want Mr. Wonderful getting his ego bruised, so he gets to play even though he didn't deserve it.

This was a pretty tough FJ for regular players. I started off with Ford and Edison, but he really wasn't what I'd describe as a businessman, at least not as his primary occupation. I briefly thought of the Wrights, but again would you call them businessmen? So eventually I landed on the right pair as I decided those were supposed to be motorcycles.

My question from yesterday was answered as both losers' charities got $10,000. I think second should get more but they didn't ask me. Mark overbet as a bet of zero wins him the game if Aaron is wrong. If he is going to risk that he might as well bet it all and maximize the winnings for his charity. Even if he comes in second, his charity gets his final total if it is over the minimum.

Overall, it wasn't horrible by Celebrity J! standards as no one was a total moron, but it was still bad.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

floridagator, I would have given you a one-day pass for using the "h" word today. (Kissy-faces and writing "Mr. Wonderful" on his podium? Yeah, that's hubris.) (Not for any game play decision, however.)

IT'S TRUE $1000: Anyone else think "livery" was major neg-bait?

Yeah, real slow game play from Mark and Kevin, which is inexcusable from regular contestants, of course (although they're usually weeded out at auditions), and not a pleasure to watch. I liked Aaron's game play though (and Mark to a lesser extent, although an astronaut thinking Pluto is in the asteroid belt is a bit ... odd.)

Thought those were early cars and couldn't get past that. (WAGged Ford and Olds). Looking at the picture again, yeah, I suppose those are early motorcycles, but it wasn't 100% obvious.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

dhkendall wrote:floridagator, I would have given you a one-day pass for using the "h" word today. (Kissy-faces and writing "Mr. Wonderful" on his podium? Yeah, that's hubris.) (Not for any game play decision, however.)

IT'S TRUE $1000: Anyone else think "livery" was major neg-bait?

Yeah, real slow game play from Mark and Kevin, which is inexcusable from regular contestants, of course (although they're usually weeded out at auditions), and not a pleasure to watch. I liked Aaron's game play though (and Mark to a lesser extent, although an astronaut thinking Pluto is in the asteroid belt is a bit ... odd.)

Thought those were early cars and couldn't get past that. (WAGged Ford and Olds). Looking at the picture again, yeah, I suppose those are early motorcycles, but it wasn't 100% obvious.
It helps if you've seen the photo before. A "friend" of mine posted it on Facebook a while back.
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

Ever since they announced the contestants I was hoping against hope O'Leary would Blitzer it. Technically it didn't end up being that bad but I was very very happy to see him in the red basically all game. Which way to New Jersey city hall?
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Aaron Rodgers is going to hear about that FJ miss for a long, long time. He plays quarterback for Wisconsin's NFL team; Harley-Davidson was founded in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. After dairy products, H-D is about as Wisconsin as it gets. Even a guy who played at Cal should have been able to figure that out in less time than it takes to read the defense.

Good thing he won't be taking the field in Green Bay for a few more months!
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

This was a considerably less enjoyable game than yesterday's; it was slower and had a lot more triple stumpers. I had 41 correct responses including these triple stumpers: 12 drummers drumming, Lazarus, Paradise Lost, Vatican, Ally Sheedy and Molly Ringwald, 5th dimension, Namibia, carbon 14, and Dilbert. I also got the missed DD of Apple. I got FJ about halfway through the think music.
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

I was waiting for the Rodgers game, but his spirals seem to be more exciting than his jeopardy game
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Alex didn't mention the $10K minimum guarantee for second and third place, down from $20K and even $25K in other years(since the winner started being guaranteed $50K).
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

This was the only game that I was planning to watch this week, since I am a huge Shark Tank fan. But yeah, this was bad. There were actually a few gets that impressed me (like George Custer), but for the most part this game was a drag. I mean, Paradise Lost is a triple stumper when spotted "epic poem by John Milton," really?

I actually had no idea on FJ. I was thinking in terms of cars.

And from what I remember, celebrities are always given money to play in FJ when they finish in the red; that is nothing new.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Abraxas wrote:This was a considerably less enjoyable game than yesterday's
For me it was more enjoyable just to see the perpetually smug Mr. Wonderful get his comeuppance!

I was surprised to hear him mention paying taxes in his litany of virtues of entrepreneurial success. His anti-tax tirades are notorious.
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

I noticed that the categories for these celebrity games tend to be tilted towards the interests of the players (e.g. more science stuff with the astronaut). That said, it would be interesting to mix it up and put showbiz people with non-showbiz people.

Mandalay Bay was a good get for Aaron Rogers. I got it because I lived in Vegas for a while. I'm sure that he's had plenty of opportunities to get the Vegas VIP treatment.

Lach Trash: Lazarus, Paradise Lost, Vatican, Molly Ringwald & Ally Sheedy, 14, Dilbert, Gregory Peck, Apple (DD).

Got FJ. I can see how watching the game often makes a difference here. You have to be thinking "where's the tease out hint?" In this case the guys were in motorcycles, thus connect the dots. If you are not familiar with the game, then you may not catch the hint.
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool
Leander

Post by Leander »

Kelly was squinting at the screen, so I wonder how visible the details of the photo were from the podiums. Of course, Pontiac was a bad guess in any case. I was also surprised he didn't know the Ceres answer.

I thought Rodgers did a very creditable job.
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

As opposed to yesterday's game (fun and worthwhile) this one was painful to watch.

The astronaut didn't know about the probe orbiting Ceres?

Everyone blanked on staring at a photo of Gregory Peck?

Ugh. Though it was nice to see Mr Wonderful get taken down a few notches.

FJ was an Instaget. Two guys with motorcycles... duh.
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Did I hear the announcer say that O'Leary made most of his money teaching kids how to read or something to that effect? Also, what is with all of the posters here not knowing what Mr. I Can't Spell wrote on his screen under his name?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

I was pleased to see Aaron Rogers do well. His clue selection was expedient, verses the other two. Mark Kelly's mind seemed to be wandering off into space half the time (pardon the pun).

That FJ was cake. Alex seemed pretty frustrated no one got it.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

Well, this game was disappointing. Too many easy triple stumpers (no one thought of Vatican City?) and since when is "New Jersey" a city? Got that clue because The Boss lives in the county north of me. When I saw the FJ photo, I thought, "Well, this is an instaget" and I, too, was wrong in thinking those were early bicycles. :(
When I heard the NFL's all-time leader in passer rating was going to be on the show, which was right around the time I started keeping score, I decided to come up with my own stat for playing at home: the "Jeopardy passer rating." Unlike the combined Coryat, it only works if you play at home: combined Jeopardy passer rating is meaningless. Based on the standard NFL formula for passer rating, you take the number of clues revealed plus Final (attempts), clues you get right (completions), correct DD's and FJ (touchdowns) and clues you buzz in on and get wrong (interceptions). Missed DD's or FJ's don't count as INT's. Then you take your Coryat and divide by 50 (passing yards). So if you're 33/61 with 3 TD's, 2 INT's, and a Coryat of $25000, you have a JPR of 84.
Hoping for a third lap