SPORTS JEOPARDY EPISODE 36 5-27-2015 (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

SPORTS JEOPARDY EPISODE 36 5-27-2015 (SPOILERS)

Post by Bamaman »

OLYMPIC SPORTS

Dominated by players from Asia in the Olympics, it is named for an ancestral home of England's Duke of Beaufort.
Spoiler
What is badminton?
Alan: 11,000+7,000=18,000
Conrad: 14,000+6,100=20,100
David: 20,000+8,001=28,001

SCOREBOARD

05 17
18:75

Both FJ and the scoreboard were instaguesses for me that were correct. David's misstep on the final clue of the game cost him a shot at the TOC.
HostWithTheMost
Valued Contributor

Re: SPORTS JEOPARDY EPISODE 36 5-27-2015 (SPOILERS)

Post by HostWithTheMost »

Bamaman wrote: David's misstep on the final clue of the game cost him a shot at the TOC.
Yep. You saw the disappointment on his face after he missed and he mentioned it in the post-game. Assuming an all-in wager in FJ, had he clammed, he'd be in the top three. Had he gotten it right, he would've been in second on the leaderboard. Might turn out to be the costliest miss of the entire season.
HostWithTheMost
Valued Contributor

Post by HostWithTheMost »

Coryat: 33750
40R/4W
DD: 3/3
Categories ran: Teammates, Armchair QB, Upset City Baby, For the Fans, Pitching the Perfect Game
FJ: Got it, but also ran through every possible sport dominated by Asians to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Cannot emphasize enough how badly I feel for David. Made a ballsy DD bet in DJ yet ruined his TOC chances with what can only be described as an ill-timed and unnecessary guess.
TerrHeel
Sports Jeopardy! Champion

Post by TerrHeel »

Well played game by everyone, but getting third on the leaderboard at this point isn't going to cut it. Yeah it would be nice to have made it, but with more than a dozen episodes left, I'm pretty sure it would have been short-lived. I think this may have been my best game yet. I want to say I just missed three of them.
DadofTwins
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by DadofTwins »

Absolutely gutted for David. Holding back 1K on the first round DD is the difference between Leaderboard and not, even with the miss on the last clue.

Lists to memorize between now and tryout day:

-- Hockey Hall of Famers
-- Triple Crown Winners
TerrHeel

Post by TerrHeel »

Good luck on the audition, Dad! Happy for you to get that email. You passed the test, so you obviously know your stuff, so my best advice is to be yourself and show some personality. Have fun with it, be loose, and FOLLOW DIRECTIONS. You wouldn't believe how many people passed the test at my audition only to fail to speak loudly and clearly, answer in the form of a question, or choose the next clue right away when it was their turn in the mock game. You got this.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

TerrHeel wrote:Good luck on the audition, Dad! Happy for you to get that email. You passed the test, so you obviously know your stuff, so my best advice is to be yourself and show some personality. Have fun with it, be loose, and FOLLOW DIRECTIONS. You wouldn't believe how many people passed the test at my audition only to fail to speak loudly and clearly, answer in the form of a question, or choose the next clue right away when it was their turn in the mock game. You got this.
Yes, good luck. I would use your appearance against Ken Jennings in your favor as a reason to have a chance to play again on that stage. Plus your sports knowledge of course. Hope to see good news here (or FB) soon.

Yes, the scoreboard puzzle was an insta-guess.

By the end of the season it's possible that David's 3000 out of 4000 DD wager or guess at the end will not matter for having missed the top three. We'll see. I would guess there is an alternate slot to be with the top 3? That would be a paid for trip and a stipend? Who's to say one of the top 3 don't have some kind of conflict to keep them out, so even with no chance to crack the leaderboard it could be worth it to go for the #4 slot?

Badminton is on everyone's study list for the show, right? It seemed like the most obvious guess and I could think of no reason to try a different sport on the clue. If that had been a FJ! clue on regular J! it seems like it would not have been out of place.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote:Yes, the scoreboard puzzle was an insta-guess.
Have no clue on either that or FJ. Forgot that badminton is an Olympic sport.
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

Man... I hope I get a board like this on the show (if I make it, of course). I feasted on these clues.

5/27: 23,750 (FJ: :mrgreen:)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:Yes, the scoreboard puzzle was an insta-guess.
Have no clue on either that or FJ. Forgot that badminton is an Olympic sport.
For the scoreboard turn it into the

Hint 1
Spoiler
date of May 17, 1875
Hint 2
Spoiler
It's an annual event
Hint 3
Spoiler
It's the most exciting 2 minutes in sports.
Hint 4
Spoiler
REALLY? COME ON!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Sorry, still had to Google it.
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

Did they actually just bluntly call Shanahan a Blues great? Kind of weird, I think he is pretty closely associated with Detroit.

Lanny McDonald was my dad's favourite player growing up. Insane mustache.
TerrHeel

Post by TerrHeel »

I thought that was odd too- Shanahan played a long time and not just for the Blues. I knew it was him because he was the player discipline guy, but that was definitely a little misleading.
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

grindcore wrote:Did they actually just bluntly call Shanahan a Blues great? Kind of weird, I think he is pretty closely associated with Detroit.
I remember him more as a Blues player, but that's probably only because of where I live. His two 50-goal seasons were with the Blues, though. But looking at his player page, yeah, calling him a Blues great doesn't make a lot of sense.

Per hockey-reference.com, his career sequentially:
4 yrs New Jersey Devils
4 yrs St. Louis Blues
1 yr (plus a couple of games) Hartford Whalers
9 yrs Detroit Red Wings
2 yrs New York Rangers
1 yr New Jersey Devils
Sheepin' it real.