Monday, June 29, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mahatma
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, June 29, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by mahatma »

econgator wrote:
Woof wrote:
nklotz wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:
Stanislaus Jacob wrote:Poem about jail (or rather gaol) = Oscar Wilde is another one they seem to like.
The lady wants shortcuts, not ones that involve Reading.
Haha come on cut me a little slack here, I was just looking for a list of major poets to know or "Jeopardy-essential" material.
You do recognize the joke he was making, right?
If not, she should go to gaol, go directly to gaol ...
...take the railroad.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Robert K S wrote:
bjb406 wrote:I'm trying to read the clues to games on j-archive. Why doe none of the links to pictures ever work? It always comes up with a 404. Are they just not uploaded to begin with? if so why bother creating a linK?
We're behind on captures. We've got a bit of a backlog. We welcome your volunteering, if you'd like to do them! Thanks for signing up for JBoard just to ask this question.
Robert didn't answer the last question on that list.

If the links were added only when they would be live, it would be much more work. And since we are already short of time and people to do that work...

I just wish that lame Archivist who is responsible for the uploads would get off his f*t a$$ and get caught up.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
nklotz
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nklotz »

econgator wrote:
Woof wrote:
nklotz wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:
Stanislaus Jacob wrote:Poem about jail (or rather gaol) = Oscar Wilde is another one they seem to like.
Haha come on cut me a little slack here, I was just looking for a list of major poets to know or "Jeopardy-essential" material.
You do recognize the joke he was making, right?
If not, she should go to gaol, go directly to gaol ...
Well now I do, after googling "Oscar Wilde gaol." See, this is why I'm looking for study materials.
Silverfox
Don't Step on My Tail!

Post by Silverfox »

Once again I have to thank Mrs. Flanagan for droning on in English Lit 101 about all of the British poets. If it were not for her, I would not get the questions correct in this area. Coleridge came to me immediately.
Be alert. Stupid never takes a day off!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I'm going to stop paying my user fee if the archive service doesn't improve.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

nklotz wrote: wrote:
Well now I do, after googling "Oscar Wilde gaol." See, this is why I'm looking for study materials.
I thought that might be the case. One other tip that reading Reading won't get you: it's pronounced "Redding" (those crazy Brits, but true for the PA town, too)
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Woof wrote:
I thought that might be the case. One other tip that reading Reading won't get you: it's pronounced "Redding" (those crazy Brits, but true for the PA town, too)
And, most importantly, the Monopoly railroad.
Sprinkles are for winners.
dharrisf
Valued Contributor

Post by dharrisf »

nklotz wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:
Here's my approach:
readallthebooks.jpg
readallthebooks.jpg (40.34 KiB) Viewed 3084 times
Then again, I'm an English professor; reading all the books (or at least those with major poets) is kinda my job.
dharrisf
Valued Contributor

Post by dharrisf »

Lord Byron continues to haunt me. First, if Amy and Brennan hadn't been so smart, I might have won on Final Jeopardy in my fourth game. Second, he's on the cover of the British literature anthology I'm using this fall (and yes, I'm teaching him, but not Don Juan--too long for a survey course). And then Monday night's answer from my fellow Alabamian. Curse you, read Baron!
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

teapot37 wrote:
DBear wrote:Fell asleep and dreamed it, really? More likely Coleridge was stoned on opium... 8-)
Disappointed no one got FYROM.
It didn't help that it wasn't apparent it was an initialism.
Worst clue of the year. In all-caps, it should have been presented as F.Y.R.O.M. The clue made you think it looks in mixed case like Fyrom.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

silverscreentest wrote:
teapot37 wrote:
DBear wrote:Fell asleep and dreamed it, really? More likely Coleridge was stoned on opium... 8-)
Worst clue of the year. In all-caps, it should have been presented as F.Y.R.O.M. The clue made you think it looks in mixed case like Fyrom.
I didn't realize until it was mentioned in this thread that the word in that clue was FYROM. Agreed, pretty sloppy to use an initial ism like that in the show's all-caps format.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

I'm not getting the hate and confusion for FYROM. To me, it's as obvious and well-known as NASA.
Macedonia should just go ahead and call themselves Macedonia anyway. What's Greece gonna do, buy an army? :twisted:
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

DBear wrote:I'm not getting the hate and confusion for FYROM. To me, it's as obvious and well-known as NASA.
Macedonia should just go ahead and call themselves Macedonia anyway. What's Greece gonna do, buy an army? :twisted:
On quizbowlpackets,com, there are five questions on FYROM and two of them are as acceptable alternate answers. There are 538 questions on NASA. So among quizbowl players, NASA is 100 times more well-known than FYROM. And the knowledge expected is harder than that of Jeopardy players or Jeopardy viewers. Among ordinary Americans, NASA is at least a thousand times more well-known than FYROM.

As far as Macedonia and Greece, perhaps North Dakota could change their name to Manitoba. :D
Last edited by silverscreentest on Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

silverscreentest wrote:Among ordinary Americans, NASA is at least a thousand times more well-known than FYROM.
Agreed. I don't recall ever hearing "FYROM" before this J! clue.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

DBear wrote:I'm not getting the hate and confusion for FYROM. To me, it's as obvious and well-known as NASA.
Ask random people on the street what NASA is and then ask what FYROM is. Compare the results.

I was familiar with the term, but had never heard it spoken before. I you had asked me to read the clue, I would have spelled out the letters.
davey

Post by davey »

Bamaman wrote:
Ask random people on the street what NASA is and then ask what FYROM is. Compare the results....
Still, if one was familiar with it, it seems unlikely you'd be thrown by the formatting of the clue.
willwoodlen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by willwoodlen »

Woof wrote:

And the MA town, too. And thanks, Silverfox, for thanking an English teacher.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

(Catching up on this week's shows after I was away all week auditioning for some game show or another, I forget which one)
Bamaman wrote:Why didn't Opus tell us his wife was going to be on the show?
Heh, that was my first thought that Opus had a rooting interest and favourite category today!
grindcore wrote:Has Alex ever heard the Fresh Prince theme? What the hell rhythm was he going for? I cringed so hard it hurt.
Robert K S wrote:As to Alex's extremely poor rendition of Will Smith's rap, this may have been intentional... in the past when Alex has sung clues to approximate a quoted song, he's been shot down and forced to re-record, apparently because a lawyer for the show is afraid that it's going to trigger some licensing obligation. A particularly irked-sounding "dooby dooby doo" in a clue about Sinatra comes to mind. I'm suggesting Alex may have intentionally distorted the metric rhythm of the Fresh Prince theme song, possibly at the urging of the producers or somebody in legal.
I caught the video on Facebook earlier this week (a friend who knows me too well posted it there), and my first thought was that he did it just to deliberately hype the "clueless white guy" persona he's got going, I think he likes to play that up sometimes.

Robert K S has a good hypothesis too, possibly the correct one, but really, which would you rather watch, a video showing that Alex is a very good rapper and can do the Fresh Prince theme flawlessly, or one that shows that he's whiter than a hard boiled egg with half the rhythm? Which one will also go viral (and get the show buzz)?
silverscreentest wrote:
teapot37 wrote:
Worst part was Alex pronouncing it as a word (FY-rom), when I see that acronym (and I do a fair bit because I'm a geopolitics geek) I always pronounce the letters separate. In fact, I don't think anyone who uses the initialism pronounces it as a word, making the "also called" part highly inaccurate.
It's not about Greek invading them, it's more, in Greek minds, about cultural appropriation and possible territorial claims. But yes, Greece is also being a douche about it (after all, Atlanta didn't put up a fuss when Tblisi's country freed itself from the Soviet Union, and Brazzaville and Kinshasa's countries seem to not mind the name confusion, and they also border each other!) The "also called FYROM" part was a bit perplexing too, as Greece is really the only one that insists on the nomenclature (well, possibly Cyprus too), the others that do call it FYROM to appease Greece (just like how other countries unofficially recognize Taiwan as Taiwan but officially refer to it as a Chinese province or call it "Chinese Taipei" or some other foolishness to appease Beijing.

(I told you I'm a geopolitics geek!)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

The opposite of the FYROM issue occurred in the final of last year's Teen Tournament, when Alex read "coo" (short for "cool") in an internet slang category as C.O.O.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Oh, another thing I forgot to note, I'm surprised mentioning the "I needed the eggs" joke on the show didn't draw the ire, wrath, and fury of mbclev, what with its making fun of the mentally ill and all ... :roll:
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012