Tuesday, June 30, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

brick
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, June 30, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by brick »

MarkBarrett wrote:
9021amyers wrote: And was it just me, or were there stars on the backdrop of the Daily Double slides today?
I would say there were definitely stars sparkling along with the DDs.

Brick: Cooking/NYT, Water Under the Bridge, Doctor Who, Amy Adams, Musical Presidents, "USA"!

The Theater, Oxygen, Name 19th C. Decade, Snow White, Love Boat, USA

If you need a reminder of the categories before the archive has them I like Game Show Kingdom: http://gskingdom.blogspot.com/

Depending on when you access it you have to be careful about spoilers for other shows you might watch. Use the right of the screen and scroll down to go right to the show of interest.

Good night to have used USA with the soccer match earlier. I loved those graphic jinxes that sports telecasts can make happen. Germany has never missed a PK... :lol:

The FJ! clue stumped me for another reasonable name other than Amelia Earhart. Well, Rosie the Riveter beats a blank screen I guess. The only name that occurred to me for a wild miss was The Black Dahlia.

We had flirtation with a tie breaking scenario tonight, but not to be. 20+ games to go. I knew the powers were over-reacting early in the season.
Why thank you! Ok. I ran Cooking, DrWho, and Musical Presidents. (How was Nixon valued lower than Clinton? )

Locked up theater, too, did ok in Snow White and Love Boat, too.

Toward my theory that this game was on the east side, I think I got 4/5 in the bridge category, and geography is not my jam.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Easiest game in a while with the quickest Instaget FJ also. I like the 2-day champ but I'm not sure how he'd do against stronger competition.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

"Legally dead" is what helped me. I've heard about other missing peoples cases as well and eventually, most of them are declared "legally dead".
willwoodlen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by willwoodlen »

Volante wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: Yeah, Amy Adams will be an 0/5 before seeing a clue. NHO her, and none of the movie titles sounded even remotely familiar either.
Watch Enchanted. Seriously. Go and find a copy of Enchanted RIGHT NOW. I'll wait...

(Yes, I know Enchanted wasn't one of the 5 used. I don't care. WATCH IT WATCH IT WATCH IT WATCH IT!)
xxaaaxx wrote:
brick wrote: I think the way the clue was written indicated that it wasn't Census data because it compared population change in one year. That aside, when the first player to ring in says "the 1850's" and loses money, why in the name of Wolf Blitzer would you ring in to say "the 1850's"?! And once the 1850's have been quite firmly eliminated, I am astounded the champ didn't take the now VERY sure answer of "the 1840's" and double the value of the clue to himself, given that both his opponents had negged on it.
To the first question, they might've thought that it took a year or two for the populatoin to explode, rather than it being immediate. Second, Adrian thought Amy was negged because she didn't phrase it in the form of a question. Both wrong, but that might've been their thought processes. I have no answer for why Brandon didn't pick up the rebound.

That's my thought as well. Considering the Rush is associated with 1849, it's reasonable to think the population boom was in the 50s as it took people a while to go cross country back then. (I negged with that line of reasoning... :roll: )

Insta Final.

I also almost talked myself into the 1850s but quickly decided they were going for the decade of the discovery itself. Since Sutter first found gold in 1848, it seems the next year was enough time for thousands to make their way west.
willwoodlen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by willwoodlen »

Watching Adrian and (especially) Amy fall apart with the decades category was kinda painful. All three had built up to competitive totals and it was almost as if Amy decided she had too much money. Meanwhile Brandon just stood calmly by and watched the fun.

In the question about Kutuzov and Moscow, I guessed it referred to the Napoleonic time and blurted out "eighteen-teens." When Alex said "eighteen-tens" and referred to 1812, I wondered if my answer would have been acceptable. I went online and found surprisingly meager information on how to refer to the second decade of a century (as opposed to myriad opinions on how to refer to the first decade of a century). The word "teens" has been used to refer to the entire decade, such as 1810-1819, so it's possible the judges would have accepted it. But I found more than one comment that referred to this usage as substandard. The "tens" is apparently preferable, but even this received scant commentary. There seems to be no consensus.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $29,600
39 R/1 W;
DD: 2/3
FJ: Instaget
LT: Nixon, jet, 1880s (on the rebound), 1840s

I thought for sure this would be a triple get, but I can see the allure of Rosie the Riveter as a response.[/sarc]

I was 50/50 between iron lung and hyperbaric chamber, thinking that they might even be synonyms. Fifty. Fifty. Ninety.

Hammer, you should catch Amy Adams in Catch Me If You Can. Very fun movie, and her character is adorable.
Sprinkles are for winners.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

9021amyers wrote:
brick wrote:
corvo wrote:Rosie the Riveter?

:roll:
I was more :shock: but yeah.
That response needed a face palm emoticon.
C'mon, people. It beat TPH's response hands down!
OCSam
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

Never mind...
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

While 1812 wasn't a teen year, I think they would take eighteen teens.
BigDaddyMatty

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Bamaman wrote:While 1812 wasn't a teen year, I think they would take eighteen teens.
Seconded. It's clear what decade that refers to.
dharrisf
Valued Contributor

Post by dharrisf »

Brandon is from my adopted state of Alabama. Amy is from my home state of Ohio, and a fellow alum of Ohio University to boot. (As is Jimmy. Go Bobcats!) Also, she's from Akron, where my wife lived for a while and where her and her mother both worked when we were all in northeast Ohio. And finally, Adrian is from Suwanee, Georgia, where my mother in law now lives. It really is a small world--but, as Steven Wright said, I wouldn't want to paint it.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

willwoodlen wrote:Watching Adrian and (especially) Amy fall apart with the decades category was kinda painful. All three had built up to competitive totals and it was almost as if Amy decided she had too much money. Meanwhile Brandon just stood calmly by and watched the fun.
Brandon's strategy of just standing calmly by seems risky; in hindsight, it worked because Adrian also just stood there and let the 1810's question go by. If Adrian had buzzed in, he could have taken the lead, right? Maybe Brandon had no clue and didn't want to risk falling behind on a guess - sound enough - but was that really a difficult clue? Brandon also left easy money on the table when 1850s had been eliminated as when San Francisco's population skyrocketed.

And what exactly did Brandon scrawl for the "Earhart"? I know that they don't penalize as long as it's the right number of syllables and whatever is spelled basically sounds the same, but Brandon had a lot of extra letters up there.
BigDaddyMatty

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Elijah Baley wrote:And what exactly did Brandon scrawl for the "Earhart"? I know that they don't penalize as long as it's the right number of syllables and whatever is spelled basically sounds the same, but Brandon had a lot of extra letters up there.
It looked like "Erhardt" to me.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
Elijah Baley wrote:And what exactly did Brandon scrawl for the "Earhart"? I know that they don't penalize as long as it's the right number of syllables and whatever is spelled basically sounds the same, but Brandon had a lot of extra letters up there.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

9021amyers wrote:$35,200 Coryat. The game was competitive, but sloppy, so I picked up seven triple stumpers: Nixon, Doubt, Big Eyes, Chicago, Jet, 1840s, 1810s. Final was as instant as an instaget gets.
If by "competitive" you mean players who are equally mediocre, I agree.

I mean, seriously, "Rosie the Riveter" was one of the worst responses in a long time. If you don't know that this character came into being during America's involvement in WWII (and that thus 1939 was several years too early), that's bad enough but not egregiously bad. But to not realize (apparently) that she was a fictional character and thus could not be declared legally dead, well, I was just flabbergasted.

And that was the second bookend, to complement one of the worst stand-and-stare non-responses in a long time. They essentially asked "Who was POTUS in spring of 1974. Once Ford was guessed and ruled incorrect (not a horrendously bad guess, I suppose), then seriously, the remaining two couldn't figure out it was Nixon??? That's not obscure trivia, people. It's basic know-the-presidents (especially presidents during the lifetime of many viewers) stuff.

As for FJ: the court declares someone legally dead in 1939. OK, that usually happens when someone went missing a few years earlier. Think of famous cases such as Jimmy Hoffa and Judge Crater. A few years before 1939? How about Amelia in 1937? Boom, done.

Pretty weak game, IMO.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

econgator wrote:
brick wrote:How did San Francisco population boom manage to lure 2 players into saying 1850's and the third player with no answer. That amazed me.
I was thinking it may have first been reported on the 1850 census.
I thought the same thing. I know the discovery at Sutter's Mill was in the late 1840s, and thought (given the difficulties of spreading news and the greater difficulties of traveling in those times, it might very well have taken until 1850 or later. But yeah, once that decade was ruled out, the 1840s should have been a no-brainer rebound.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Oh, the 1812 overture isn't actually American? I would've gotten the century right on Napoleon but not the decade.
Gospodi (Oh Lord).
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
Thanks; I thought there was another letter after that first r, like Erahardt. I have to admit that Earhart didn't look right to me either; I would have been sweating it if I had been up there.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Amy from Akron OH guessing "Indiana" for Warren Harding had me letting out a big groan.

Also, wagering (everything) to tie the leader from third place when he had to bet more than 4/5 of his score to cover second place didn't make a whole lot of sense.
bpmod wrote:
9021amyers wrote:Responses not given in the form of a question are usually given more time than that for contestants to catch their mistake. It was clear to me she was negged because she was wrong.
The long pause and Alex's hesitant 'no', had me thinking that she had been negged for improper phrasing. I don't know how the opposite could have been clear for you.

Brian
This,
and I'm thinking the third player stayed clam in part because he didn't pick up on the improper phrasing.
Johnblue wrote: I like the 2-day champ but I'm not sure how he'd do against stronger competition.
His timid DD wagering will be his downfall. Out of (at least) four chances, he has yet to bet over 2000.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Category 13 wrote:
Also, wagering (everything) to tie the leader from third place when he had to bet more than 4/5 of his score to cover second place didn't make a whole lot of sense.
2nd place is probably going to wager to stay ahead of him on a miss (which he did), so it makes perfect sense.