Wednesday, July 1, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Re: Wednesday, July 1, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

floridagator wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:Bong bong for the Law & Order sound? Is that really right?
There was a commercial circa 2005 in which Dann Florek explained that the folks on the show call it the "doink doink."
The theme song also opens with a sound that roughly approximates "bong bong," although I would prefer to call it "bah-BOOM."
The theme -- which is what the clue is about -- starts with "Dun DUNNNNNN". The "doink doink" is the occasional sound you hear between scenes, especially those with a new location (usually noted by a title card with the location).
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.
brick
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by brick »

TomKBaltimoreBoy wrote:
brick wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: I have NHO "medley" in a swimming context, "pelt" in a throwing context, or "deadly nightshade" in any context.

Sometimes bad performers are pelted with tomatoes.
Or even "rocks and garbage", for those of you old enough to remember when Letterman was good.
I was tempted to go there, but I've gotten blank looks IRL for that one so often I couldn't bring myself to risk it. And I wanted to tie in nightshades. Kudos to you.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

9021amyers wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: I have NHO "medley" in a swimming context, "pelt" in a throwing context, or "deadly nightshade" in any context.
As a medley in music is a piece composed from parts of other songs, a medley in swimming is a race where competitors use each of the four strokes used in competition (freestyle, backstroke, breaststroke, butterfly). The individual medley in particular is considered the complete test of a swimmer's ability.
Do we have another swimmer here?

Speaking of swimming, Michael Phelps turned 30 on Tuesday.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

TomKBaltimoreBoy wrote:
floridagator wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:
There was a commercial circa 2005 in which Dann Florek explained that the folks on the show call it the "doink doink."
The theme song also opens with a sound that roughly approximates "bong bong," although I would prefer to call it "bah-BOOM."
The theme -- which is what the clue is about -- starts with "Dun DUNNNNNN". The "doink doink" is the occasional sound you hear between scenes, especially those with a new location (usually noted by a title card with the location).
I missed that they were referencing the theme. Does anyone have the text of that clue handy?
Sprinkles are for winners.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
TomKBaltimoreBoy wrote:
floridagator wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:
I missed that they were referencing the theme. Does anyone have the text of that clue handy?
A prime-time crime-solving staple from 1990 to 2010; bong bong!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
9021amyers wrote:
As a medley in music is a piece composed from parts of other songs, a medley in swimming is a race where competitors use each of the four strokes used in competition (freestyle, backstroke, breaststroke, butterfly). The individual medley in particular is considered the complete test of a swimmer's ability.
Do we have another swimmer here?

Speaking of swimming, Michael Phelps turned 30 on Tuesday.
I swim thrice weekly in the summer. 3/4 mile, 3/4 mile, and 1 mile. Rest assured, I'm no Michael Phelps. Though Katie Ledecky does live in my neighborhood. Maybe that counts for something.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Category 13 wrote:I have to nit pic the Neil Armstrong clue in Men in Uniform. He was wearing a space suit, not a uniform. And it should have been a top row clue, regardless.
With the flag on the sleeve and nametag it's most definitely a very utilitarian, if highly specialized uniform, all the 'nauts wear the same suits! LOL

Solid for goats with 43R and instaget FJ from the TOM: "We missed the mark." LT: Sir Thomas Lipton; Icelandic Parliament = Althing; get on missed DD "Bunker Hill" bloodiest conflict of Rev War, 1775, soil used to bury Lafayette. Ran Lafayette but mere 4/5 on Iceland, failed to have read an Icelandic phone book, lol.
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
Silverfox
Don't Step on My Tail!

Post by Silverfox »

Everyone should know Armstrong, no matter what he is wearing. He is an American hero!
I guess that the Iceland phone book had the person's sex in the listing. How are we supposed to know the correct answer?
FJ...missed the mark, that did it for me.

Woo hoo. this is my 200th post! Where is my prize?
Be alert. Stupid never takes a day off!
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

Silverfox wrote: guess that the Iceland phone book had the person's sex in the listing. How are we supposed to know the correct answer?
Wikipedia article on "Icelandic name".
In Iceland, listings such as the telephone directory are alphabetized by first name rather than surname. To reduce ambiguity, the telephone directory goes further by also listing professions
Trivia buffs generally know that Icelanders don't have family names the way North Americans do, but rather a patronymic or occasionally a matronymic. So all men have a last name ending with "son" and women have a last name ending with "dottir". When traveling abroad, Icelandic families frequently have the same last name on their passports to ease passing through customs.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

MarkBarrett wrote:
What is COPS?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Vanya wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:
What is COPS?
COPS is still on the air.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
brick

Post by brick »

Volante wrote:
Vanya wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:
What is COPS?
Why?
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

brick wrote:
Volante wrote:
Vanya wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:
What is COPS?
Why?
Whatcha gonna do?
OCSam
brick

Post by brick »

OrangeSAM wrote:
brick wrote:
Volante wrote:
Vanya wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:
What is COPS?
Why?
Whatcha gonna do?
It's seldom true, but I actually barked aloud with laughter.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Volante wrote:
Vanya wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:
What is COPS?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTwnwbG9YLE
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

legendneverdies wrote:Happy Canada Day. Will Alex make a mention of it today? Canada Day will be on a Saturday in 2017 in the wake of the 150th anniversary of Canadian independence.
(Belated) nit for my American friends: On July 4, you celebrate your independence. On July 1, we celebrate confederation, when the four provinces of Ontario, Quebec (former Upper and Lower Canada, respectively), New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia combined to form the Dominion of Canada. They didn't really consider themselves an "independent country", and didn't see them as that much different from how they were on June 30, 1867. They wanted Dominion status primarily as a safeguard against their neighbour to the south, who had just come off a civil war (and the War of 1812 was still fresh in their minds) as well as a better defence against the Fenian problem that was becoming a concern. But they were still British citizens and considered themselves British.

But, your'e forgiven, as I have even heard Canadians make the mistake that July 1, 1867 was our "independence day", or "our nation's birthday" rather than what it really was, the start of a slow process that gradually created a country. ("Our nation's conception day" would be more accurate).

And I think the choice of FJ to run that day was quite deliberate.
floridagator wrote:Yes, there was a Canadian FJ today! It was an insta-instaget for me. I didn't even need to read it. As soon as the text flashed on the screen, I knew the answer, perhaps from seeing two related words.
I believe you said you used to live here too, correct? (And by "here" I literally mean "here", as in Winnipeg). I think being Canadian is a big advantage of this one, and wasn't that surprised when 2 out of 3 missed. (FWIW the mall about a 10 minute drive away now has a big empty spot where a Target once was, so it was insta for me too.)
floridagator wrote:I like the new champ. He has that killer spirit.
He has quite a mellifluous voice that I enjoyed listening to.
floridagator wrote:I liked the quirky zip code category.
As did I however, like Armstrong in the $400 spot being overvalued, 90210 in the $400 spot was similarly overvalued. (Ran the category).
StevenH wrote:A clue on information that you will find in an Icelandic phone book, really?
This was a bit of trivia I already knew, didn't have to know it from the phone book hint, just from it being one of those "trivia chestnuts". I'm too late to ask Mark to add this to his poll (and since I"m not done watching this week's shows, I haven't look ed at the polls, so maybe he has) but I"m curious if boardies got this one.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dhkendall wrote:I believe you said you used to live here too, correct? (And by "here" I literally mean "here", as in Winnipeg). I think being Canadian is a big advantage of this one, and wasn't that surprised when 2 out of 3 missed. (FWIW the mall about a 10 minute drive away now has a big empty spot where a Target once was, so it was insta for me too.)
For me, the advantage was being a major retail nerd.

Also, my nearest mall (Bay City Mall), due to Target undergoing a few closures stateside as well, has a big empty spot where Target used to be. At the other end, there is a big empty spot where a Sears used to be. If neither is re-tenanted soon, then there will most likely be a big empty spot where Bay City Mall used to be.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

None of the Target stores here in Hamilton were in Malls. But there is a big empty parking lot in front of each one. One such parking lot is being used as a sort of marshalling yard for the PanAm Games, so I am spending quite a bit of time there.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.