Summer Hiatus Challenge 2015

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

ZachTheRiah
In Search of the Unknown

Summer Hiatus Challenge 2015

Post by ZachTheRiah »

I thought I'd move this to a separate thread. I think, given that DadOfTwins has given us his blessing to start SHC over again and that several people have been willing to help get this together again, I think it's safe to say that SHC XI is on. Now we need some people to help out.

Code: Select all

-==-==-==-SHC 2015-==-==-==-
SHC Tournament Director (1) : BoK (?)
SHC Webmaster/Score Organizer (1) : rjaguar3
SHC Editors (3) : Cinemaniax7 (?), patkav, _________
SHC Writing Panel (as many as want to): 9021ameyers, patkav, Blue Lion, goatman, RandyG

Code: Select all

|    Head Judge      |
08/03-08/08 (W1)  |     goforthetie    |
08/10-08/15 (W2)  |    ZachTheRiah     |
08/17-08/22 (W3)  |      econgator     |
08/24-08/29 (W4)  |       Woof         |
08/31-09/05 (W5)  |                    |
09/06-09/12 (W6)  |                    |
09/13-09/19 (TOC) |                    |
Some basic guidelines for writers:

1. You may have no more than four categories count for the whole tournament.
2. If you categories are accepted, you receive perfect scores for your entries.
Last edited by ZachTheRiah on Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:31 pm, edited 13 times in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Summer Hiatus Challenge 2015

Post by econgator »

I could judge a week (don't care which).
BoK
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by BoK »

OK, as I said in the other thread, I'd be happy to be the director/MC/curator/whatever for SHC 2015, but if someone else wants to do it, that's fine too.

With regards to writing and scoring questions, in years past DoT wrote the overwhelming bulk the questions. When he used a category written by someone else, that player would get a perfect score for that category. But since the same player would typically only have one or two categories per season, this doesn't upset the balance too much. It was just a nice bonus for the writer. However, if the single person is writing, editing, or judging an entire week, I don't know if this scoring system works when players are also writers. The player could be eligible to win a week that he/she is not writing, but I don't know how the season-long wild-card spots would work in this case. Thoughts?
rjaguar3

Post by rjaguar3 »

BoK wrote:OK, as I said in the other thread, I'd be happy to be the director/MC/curator/whatever for SHC 2015, but if someone else wants to do it, that's fine too.

With regards to writing and scoring questions, in years past DoT wrote the overwhelming bulk the questions. When he used a category written by someone else, that player would get a perfect score for that category. But since the same player would typically only have one or two categories per season, this doesn't upset the balance too much. It was just a nice bonus for the writer. However, if the single person is writing, editing, or judging an entire week, I don't know if this scoring system works when players are also writers. The player could be eligible to win a week that he/she is not writing, but I don't know how the season-long wild-card spots would work in this case. Thoughts?
I think there should be a 1 category per week and 4 category per writer limit for playing writers; non-playing writers like myself and presumably BoK would write more questions. I think whoever wrote the category should assist with judging the category.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

For some of us newbies, what is SHC and how do I play? The regular weekly game isn't for me, so this might be nice.

If I'm into it, I could offer to write next year.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

triviawayne wrote:For some of us newbies, what is SHC and how do I play? The regular weekly game isn't for me, so this might be nice.

Look up threads started by DadofTwins to see past games.
BoK

Post by BoK »

triviawayne wrote:For some of us newbies, what is SHC and how do I play? The regular weekly game isn't for me, so this might be nice.

For the the general rules, see this thread from last year. This thread is a typical day''s questions and answers.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

This would be my first year playing, but I'd be interested in writing a few categories, too. How would that work?
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

rjaguar3 wrote:I think there should be a 1 category per week and 4 category per writer limit for playing writers; non-playing writers like myself and presumably BoK would write more questions. I think whoever wrote the category should assist with judging the category.
When I wrote questions, if there was any question about what would be an acceptable answer, I provided notes (e.g., "accept A, B, or C; do not accept D or E.") No judging assistance was necessary, though I suppose it could happen in rare cases. Btw, I also provided at least one extra question per category, in case DoT didn't like one, or thought it was too hard/easy.

Fwiw, I agree there should be limits on questions. Writers who are playing along get an automatic 100% correct, so there needs to be a limit. You might consider sometimes using two of a writer's categories together, so as to allow themed pairings like these:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=262
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=248
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Before this gets too involved, I'd like to express some misgivings about having weekly editors and writers. Very often, the editing process will involve heavy revisions and/or completely dropping a category as unworkable or inappropriate. To put this on a very short time scale seems unwise to me. Additionally, DoT always paid careful attention to the distribution of topics, spreading out the topics across a wide field of subjects. How can this be accomplished piecemeal by a rotating cast of editors? I feel that it would be better to have a small cadre of editors who get submissions from authors early on in the process, ideally before the start of SHC and then can spend their time putting together a good collection of boards and getting revisions (when needed) in a timely fashion.
ZachTheRiah
In Search of the Unknown

Post by ZachTheRiah »

Woof wrote:Before this gets too involved, I'd like to express some misgivings about having weekly editors and writers. Very often, the editing process will involve heavy revisions and/or completely dropping a category as unworkable or inappropriate. To put this on a very short time scale seems unwise to me. Additionally, DoT always paid careful attention to the distribution of topics, spreading out the topics across a wide field of subjects. How can this be accomplished piecemeal by a rotating cast of editors? I feel that it would be better to have a small cadre of editors who get submissions from authors early on in the process, ideally before the start of SHC and then can spend their time putting together a good collection of boards and getting revisions (when needed) in a timely fashion.
Agreed. I guess I wanted to get the ball rolling on some discussion about it so that we can get something together and have a plan. Perhaps three editors?
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

ZachTheRiah wrote:
Woof wrote:Before this gets too involved, I'd like to express some misgivings about having weekly editors and writers. Very often, the editing process will involve heavy revisions and/or completely dropping a category as unworkable or inappropriate. To put this on a very short time scale seems unwise to me. Additionally, DoT always paid careful attention to the distribution of topics, spreading out the topics across a wide field of subjects. How can this be accomplished piecemeal by a rotating cast of editors? I feel that it would be better to have a small cadre of editors who get submissions from authors early on in the process, ideally before the start of SHC and then can spend their time putting together a good collection of boards and getting revisions (when needed) in a timely fashion.
Agreed. I guess I wanted to get the ball rolling on some discussion about it so that we can get something together and have a plan. Perhaps three editors?
Sure, if we can get that many to volunteer! AFAIC, the only post that needs weekly rotation is the judge(s). Writing and editing should, ideally, take place ASAP. On that note, I'm happy to serve as judge in any of the open slots.
brick

Post by brick »

BoK wrote:

For the the general rules, see this thread from last year. This thread is a typical day''s questions and answers.
Thanks for asking triviawayne, and for the links BoK. That looks like a great game.
patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

I volunteer to be an editor. I think, ideally, the bulk of the writing and editing should take place before the game begins so we can map things out and achieve consistency.

But I have never seen or played the SHC, so I could be off base.
patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

Double-posting to say that if necessary, I can write categories, too.
Realdeo
Contributor

Post by Realdeo »

Should we have Google Form, so we can submit questions easily? The spreadsheet will be helpful for editing too and easier work for editor.
If you're tired of bad Final Jeopardy!, you go to The Final Wager
If you're tired of bad Daily Double, you go to my blog, Clavin Daily Double
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

I've written some questions. Let me know who to send them to, and I'll pass them along to that individual.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Blue Lion wrote:I've written some questions. Let me know who to send them to, and I'll pass them along to that individual.
There's a writer's guide they can email you - you might want to double check that before sending your questions in.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Magna wrote:There's a writer's guide they can email you - you might want to double check that before sending your questions in.
Will do. Thanks!
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Send me the guide in PM I'll write a post.
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!