Thursday, July 2, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, July 2, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7104, 2015-07-02

CONTESTANTS
Jon Lubin, an attorney originally from Stony Brook, New York
Elsa Angrist, a retired computer consultant from Arlington, Virginia
Alex Irvine, a writer originally from Ypsilanti, Michigan (whose 1-day cash winnings total $26,000)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex Trebek: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Ladies and gentlemen, thank you very much also. Elsa, Jon, welcome aboard. I hope you have some fun today. If you were watching yesterday, Alex had a lot of fun--$26,000 worth. Let's see what happens. Here we go into the Jeopardy! Round. And today we start you off with these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
SOLE MEN (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ALPHABETICALLY FIRST (5/5)
ANIMALS, VEGETABLES, MINERALS (5/5)
MULTI-BAND MUSICIANS (4/5)
MIDDLE F (4/5)
USS COD (4/5) (Sarah: Not as menacing a name as Shark or Barracuda, but she helped win the war in the Pacific.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Alex: 10 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W
Elsa: 7 R, 0 W
Jon: 8 R (including 2 rebounds), 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,200

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Elsa: $3,400
Jon: $2,600
Alex: -$600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex Trebek: As most of you know, Jeopardy!--our version--has been on the air now for 31 years. And when Jon Lubin was a toddler, he and his mom would watch the show together. And she used to do something special during Final Jeopardy!

Jon: Uh, indeed, and I should mention that I lost my mom several years ago, uh, to a bout of colon cancer.

Alex Trebek: Sorry to hear that.

Jon: Uh, and every time I watch this show, I am reminded of the fact that when I was a little kid and would watch Jeopardy! with my mom and dad, she would tap the beats to the Final Jeopardy! song on my back. So whenever that song comes on, I'm reminded of her.

Alex Trebek: And it brings back good memories, I hope. All right.

Alex Trebek: Elsa Angrist from Arlington, Virginia. When people meet celebrities, sometimes, we don't always make the kind of impression we hope to. That happened to you once, right? With a famous dancer.

Elsa: It did. It was Mikhail Baryshnikov. And I was with some friends on a boat in the Caribbean, and he hitched a ride on our boat. But when we got to my stop, I had to get off, and a friend jumped down to help me leap back onto the dock, and I sort of missed and ended up dangling from my friend's hands. And all I could think was, "The greatest ballet dancer in the world is watching, and I hope he didn't see this."

[Laughter]

Alex Trebek: I'm sure there was no problem from his point of view.

Alex Trebek: Alex Irvine is a writer. He is our champion. And you and your wife, I understand, had a special kind of wedding, and I don't know what it means. A bucks-and-does wedding?

Alex Irvine: Well, yeah, it was a wedding shower. We decided--she had some--some bunch of male friends she wanted to come to our shower, so we got a karaoke place in, uh, in New York, and, uh, and we had a party there. Um, and I--they made me start the whole thing off, and so to get everybody in the spirit, I sang, uh, the Lyle Lovett song "She's No Lady, She's My Wife".

Alex Trebek: O... kay.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Alex found the Daily Double on the 28th clue. Alex had $2,200, Elsa had $4,200, and Jon was at $4,000. Alex wagered $1,000.

SOLE MEN $600: His Basketball HOF bio says in 1921 he "hobbled into a Converse Chicago sales office complaining of sore feet"
[Alex Trebek reads "HOF" as "Hall of Fame".]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
MIDDLE F $1000: Unholy or pagan

MULTI-BAND MUSICIANS $1000: Brandon Bush de-Train-ed, saying "all I want to do" is tour with his brother Kristian & Jennifer Nettles in this country band

SOLE MEN $1000: Nathan was the first name of this man who patterned his "Original" Desert Boot after 8th Army footwear
(Alex Trebek: Clarks Desert Boots.)

USS COD $1000: (Sarah of the Clue Crew reports from the deck of the USS Cod in Cleveland, OH.) The Cod's conning tower records her 47 combat victories--21 ships & 26 smaller vessels; most of them took place while on patrol in this sea, between the Philippines & Vietnam

SOLE MEN $200: A German army medic named Kklaus was the "Doc" behind this boot brand
(Jon: What is Doc Marten?)
[Initially accepted as correct; reversed before Double Jeopardy!]

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Jon: $4,200
Elsa: $4,200
Alex: $3,200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, July 2, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE MONARCHS OF ENGLAND (4/5)
U.S. MARSHALS (5/5)
STATE CAPITAL NICKNAMES (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
POP CULTURE MICE (5/5)
LITERATURE OF THE EARLY 1800s (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
"SALT" & "PEPPER" (3/3)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Alex: 12 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W
Elsa: 8 R, 0 W
Jon: 6 R (including 1 DD), 1 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 2
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jon snagged the next Daily Double on the 12th clue. Alex had $2,800, Elsa had $9,800, and Jon was at $6,600. Jon wagered $2,000.

STATE CAPITAL NICKNAMES $1200: "Crabtown"

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Alex who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 14th clue. Alex had $4,400, Elsa had $9,800, and Jon was at $7,000. Alex wagered $4,000.

LITERATURE OF THE EARLY 1800s $1600: A father, a mother & 4 sons are shipwrecked on a desert isle in this Johann David Wyss adventure tale

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE MONARCHS OF ENGLAND $1600: She married the future king of Spain in Winchester Cathedral in 1554
(Alex Irvine: Who is Elizabeth I?)

STATE CAPITAL NICKNAMES $2000: "Queen City of the Rockies"--Denver or this city
(Alex Irvine: What is Cheyenne?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Alex: $16,400
Elsa: $14,200
Jon: $7,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
EUROPEAN ARTISTS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Alex: Wager $12,001 to cover Elsa.
Elsa: You have to wager $1,401 to cover Jon's doubled score, but certainly no more than $6,399, so as to force Jon to be right to have a chance at winning.
Jon: Think about risking $3,400 or less, thereby beating Alex on the Triple Stumper (should Alex wager to cover Elsa's doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1890 a critic said this artist "directs his brush with enormous dabs of impasto of very pure color in sinuous trails"

FINAL SCORES
Jon: $7,800 + $7,799 = $15,599 (Who is Van Gogh?) (New champion: $15,599)
Elsa: $14,200 - $10,000 = $4,200 (Who is Gauguin?) (3rd place)
Alex: $16,400 - $12,001 = $4,399 (Who is Monet?) (2nd place)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $7,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Elsa: $14,200, 15 R, 0 W
Alex: $13,600, 22 R (including 2 DDs), 4 W
Jon: $7,000, 14 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Combined Coryat: $34,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Alex: 22/60 = .367
Elsa: 15/58 = .259
Jon: 15/59 = .254
Team: 52/63 = .825

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
ALPHABETICALLY FIRST $400: Of the U.S. automakers traditionally known as the big 3
(Jon: What is Ford?)

ALPHABETICALLY FIRST $1000: Of the 3 basic orders of ancient Greek columns
(Alex Irvine: What is Doric?)

ANIMALS, VEGETABLES, MINERALS $800: They've been described as looking like anemic carrots

ANIMALS, VEGETABLES, MINERALS $1000: The name of this mineral is from the Greek for "fire"; as well as fooling gold-seekers, it produced the spark in wheel-lock guns
(Alex Irvine: What is flint?)

USS COD $200: (Kelly of the Clue Crew bunks in the USS Cod in Cleveland, OH.) Living quarters on the Cod were cramped, with three crewmen taking turns sharing two bunks; the upper one I'm in, with extra headroom to accommodate the torpedo-loading hatch, was called this--a term for a top-floor, luxurious apartment

USS COD $400: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows off a torpedo tube on the USS Cod in Cleveland, OH.) Thanks to its torpedo data computer, the cod could fire guided weapons; a spindle slipped into the torpedo's side was used to set the course into an internal one of these spinning devices, from Greek for "circle watcher"

USS COD $600: (Kelly of the Clue Crew stands topside on the USS Cod in Cleveland, OH.) On her last patrol, the Cod rescued the men of a Dutch submarine stranded on a mid-ocean reef; to keep the Dutch boat out of enemy hands, the crew used torpedoes & on-deck guns to do this, meaning to intentionally sink a friendly ship

USS COD $800: (Kelly of the Clue Crew reports from inside the USS Cod in Cleveland, OH.) On May 10, 1944, the Cod fought its biggest battle; after engaging a convoy & sinking a destroyer, the crew stayed submerged for 12 hours in temperatures over 110 degrees, sweating out an attack by more than 70 of these underwater bombs

THE MONARCHS OF ENGLAND $2000: He's seen here in 1910, the year he became king following the death of his father, Edward VII

STATE CAPITAL NICKNAMES $1600: "The Live Music Capital of the World"
(Jon: What is Nashville?)

POP CULTURE MICE $1200: On PBS a mouse named Angelina seeks this rhyming artistic vocation
(Alex Trebek: With a minute to go.)

U.S. MARSHALS $2000: In 1962 and 1963, Marshals gave round-the-clock protection to this University of Mississippi student

U.S. MARSHALS $1600: The Marshals don't just chase bad guys; from 1790 to 1870, they were responsible for taking this every 10 years
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Chuck Taylor
profane
Sugarland
Nathan Clark
the South China Sea
Doc Martens
Annapolis
The Swiss Family Robinson
Mary
Helena
Vincent van Gogh
Chrysler
Corinthian
parsnips
(iron) pyrite
a penthouse
a gyroscope
to scuttle
depth charges
George V
Austin (Texas)
ballerina
James Meredith
the census
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

European Artists
In 1890 a critic said this artist "directs his brush with enormous dabs of impasto of very pure color in sinuous trails".

Spoiler
Who is Van Gogh? Elsa said Gauguin; Alex said Monet.

Alex Irvine: $16,400-$12,001=$4,399
Elsa Angrist: $14,200-$10,000=$4,200
Jon Lubin: $7,800+$7,799=$15,599...now a 1-day champion with $15,599
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Sounded like van Gogh's work (and I knew he died in 1890). I'll take it.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Congratulations to Jon on winning. I had 40 correct responses including three triple stumpers: Clark, South China Sea, and Helena. I guessed Gauguin for FJ.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

My many sided coin landed on VG. Jon was dejected he couldn't ring in more just before FJ. Happy for him...Alex could have won few more and the lady was very strong. Good game.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

44R + teased out FJ with some dithering, recall he died in 1890, Starry Night was 1889 one of his last works and the swoopy style came to mind from this admittedly very vague clue. Monet and Gauguin were equally good guesses and I also considered Matisse, all contemporaries. Picasso was about 9-10 y/o in 1890 and most of the other commonly asked artists are early 20th century. Cezanne was the right timeframe but his work was fairly subdued, no big swoopiness.

Tough FJ. Got LT on: Queen Mary 1554 (reigned prior to QE I, remember 'Good Queen Bess' was the Virgin Queen, eh!? Instaget South China Sea which I'm sure has appeared fairly recently as well, get it, got it, good!

Fun gets on Helena, MT == The Queen City of the West (Cinncinnati = former queen city of the West, until West moved farther west) and Crabtown = Annapolis, having lived in both once upon a time. :)

Also NB: Shelley > To a Skylark, and Keats >Ode to a Nightingale, both favs. And Steamboat Willie made a comeback as well! 8-)

Notably 'flint' was the correct response earlier this week, and today we saw 'iron pyrite' which made the spark in a flintlock when struck.
I suppose sitting in the Green Room you wouldn't have the benefit of these related clues across games, playing at home you have a slight clue advantage, eh?!
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

It sounded like a description of "The Scream", so I said Edvard Munch. Upon sober sonsideration, I guess that doesn't fit the time period, though.
Teems with quiet fun.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

said antelope for deer on the pudu clue.
WAGed the FJ.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

0/5 in Sole Men and Alphabetically First.

I hate "alphabetically first" categories, especially in cases like "among Santa's reindeer" or "among the colors of the rainbow" where the correct response is near the end if you take them in order. I've barely waded my way through to Comet, and somebody's already rung in with Blitzen.

Had Monarchs down as an 0/5 before any clues were revealed. Also 0/5 in Marshals and State Capitals (had a brain fart on Tallahassee), My other brain fart was somehow mis-reading "Military" on Salt/Pepper for $1200 and nearly blurting out "Dr Pepper".

On the other hand, I ran Pop Culture mice and Multi Band. It was nice of the writers to treat me with yet ANOTHER Gorillaz clue, and then Sugarland under that.

No guess on FJ!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Did anyone else feel as though there was some split-screen trickery and all three contestants were being played by the same actor?

sarisson

Post by sarisson »

These categories weren't to my liking, but I still had 34 right and $24,800. "Nashville" was my only incorrect guess. I didn't know what "impasto" was, so I guessed Monet. Had the clue mentioned "ear" or "painting in Snoopy's private collection," I would've gotten it. ;)
As dharrisf pointed out in yesterday's thread, the returning champ is a science fiction writer. I thought his name sounded familiar; it turns out he has an article on Wookieepedia. He had been scheduled to write Star Wars: Mandorla, but the novel was cancelled. Someone should add his name to the Jeopardy contestant library thread.
Hoping for a third lap
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

immaf wrote:It sounded like a description of "The Scream", so I said Edvard Munch. Upon sober sonsideration, I guess that doesn't fit the time period, though.
"The Scream" was painted in 1893, so you can't really say Munch doesn't fit the time period. I thought about Van Gogh, but went with Munch instead; I figured ol' Vinny was a trap.
willwoodlen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by willwoodlen »

I enjoyed Alex as a player and champion, but I'm of two minds about his little yelps when he got big-money questions wrong. They were somewhat annoying, but also made him seem very human and fun. I thought maybe Elsa was goosing him back there or something. BTW, I liked her, too, with her no-nonsense style and impressive knowledge. Congrats to Jon for keeping up the tradition of third-place contestants who pull out a win in FJ, but I can't say I was rooting for him. We'll see if he can follow up.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

econgator wrote:Sounded like van Gogh's work (and I knew he died in 1890). I'll take it.
Same here. I really don't know anything about his art, but the year matched up and was worth a shot. A little surprised I got it right.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I figured FJ was "pick an Impressionist painter at random." I went with Vinny because of the last part of the clue (sinewy strokes made me think of "Starry Night" among other of his works).

And I enjoyed another shout-out for Gorillaz. The lyrics were from "Clint Eastwood," the basis of another clue a few weeks ago.

"I'm happy, feelin' glad/I got sunshine in a bag/I'm useless, but not for long/the future is goin' on."
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Another Monet guess here. If you didn't know any special significance regarding the year or what 'impasto' was, "Guess an impressionist" was more or less what it boiled down to.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Leander

Post by Leander »

econgator wrote:Sounded like van Gogh's work (and I knew he died in 1890). I'll take it.
Yup, my process too. It helped that I had a general idea of what impasto is. I'd agree it was a difficult question if you didn't.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Impasto is thick gobs of paint. If you see a Van Gogh work up close, it is chock full of impasto.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Volante wrote:Another Monet guess here.
You need lots of Monet to pay for Degas to make the Van Gogh. :P