Zach Horan (legendneverdies) Banned

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Zach Horan (legendneverdies) Banned

Post by alietr »

Dear Boardies:

I wanted to make the JBoard community aware of the fact that I have banned Zach Horan ("legendneverdies") from JBoard. I apologize that it has taken this long, but I was unaware of the full level of harassment he has directed at female contestants and members of JBoard through his "cyberial cigars" (I have temporarily un-banned that word for the purposes of this thread only). For those unaware, he sent that phrase to women contestants, finding them on social media and virtually anywhere they appear on the Internet. Since the beginning of JBoard, I had hoped that he would at least behave on here, and even that didn't always happen. However, I've become aware of the fact that not only was he using PM's on here to further his harassment, but that the level of that harassment elsewhere on the Internet had reached such levels that several women felt uncomfortable coming to JBoard merely because of his presence on here. I cannot, and will not, have that be the case. Past efforts to keep him off JBoard resulted in him registering under different names, using proxies, etc., in an effort to get back on the board. To the extent possible, the moderators and I will do our best to keep him off here in the future. Again, I'm sorry it took this long to finally recognize the extent of the problem.

I am amending the Read This First! thread to indicate that if you, a user, feel at any time that someone has written something that has made you feel uncomfortable, please make sure to let me know.

Sincerely,
Andy
Peggles
Grand Exalted Queen of the Universe

Re: Zach Horan (legendneverdies) Banned

Post by Peggles »

Well done.
sarisson
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by sarisson »

On 9/12/15, Legendneverdies lost on Jboard Posting Privilege Bucket Kickers. Well done (lights the Deity's Portofino).
Sorry, I couldn't resist. I looked up his catchphrase (it shows up in Google's search suggestions) and it showed up on just about every social media site. Really bizarre. Now that he's off the site, maybe he can quit smoking.
Hoping for a third lap
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

Thank you!
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I'm sorry that it had come to that, but you the right thing, Andy. Well moderated.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Thank you, Andy.
Ivoryface86

Post by Ivoryface86 »

Thanks Andy, you're the best.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I've seen his schtick on youtube, dailymotion and various newspaper websites in articles about female contestants. I thought banning that word had gotten him under control, but sending creepy p-mails on here is definitely uncalled for.

Thank you for keeping this a classy joint. (Well, as classy as any joint can be that I am a member of).
hdayejr
Contributor

Post by hdayejr »

Horan has been a problem for at least a good 15 years. His behavior was out of control on usenet, for the simple fact that it was not moderated. His "Cbk" deal is also very disturbing. Has anybody tried to contact his mother, since is he using her computer ?
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Thank you thank you thank you!
JohnFenner76

Post by JohnFenner76 »

I know all too well what a nuisance Horan is. I had known him going back to alt.tv.game-shows. Allow me to apologize to all female Jeopardy! contestants that he made uncomfortable. I know I'm not at fault for his behavior, but nobody deserves to be made uncomfortable like that. God bless.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

hdayejr wrote:Has anybody tried to contact his mother, since is he using her computer ?
Maybe she never ventures down to her basement...

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
kingskip
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kingskip »

And just two weeks ago, someone uploaded some 1996 episodes of Jeopardy and sure enough he comments on this one when the woman wins and does his usual thing. Although I do believe he is actually right about the airdate even though the contestant claims it was different:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=4zk8o7KblT0
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

kingskip wrote:And just two weeks ago, someone uploaded some 1996 episodes of Jeopardy and sure enough he comments on this one when the woman wins and does his usual thing. Although I do believe he is actually right about the airdate even though the contestant claims it was different:

I would think that every time we see one of those comments elsewhere we report it. It won't matter at first but if it happens enough ...
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

kingskip wrote:And just two weeks ago, someone uploaded some 1996 episodes of Jeopardy and sure enough he comments on this one when the woman wins and does his usual thing. Although I do believe he is actually right about the airdate even though the contestant claims it was different:
The archive has the season beginning on 9/2/96. That was Labor Day. So it is possible some markets may have delayed when they began showing new episodes for a week as to not conflict with things like the Jerry Lewis Telethon or simply not wanting to show something when many people may not be watching TV at all. I think I've seen other comments on here from players on old episodes saying they were on a week later than the archive has listed.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Bamaman wrote:
The archive has the season beginning on 9/2/96. That was Labor Day. So it is possible some markets may have delayed when they began showing new episodes for a week as to not conflict with things like the Jerry Lewis Telethon or simply not wanting to show something when many people may not be watching TV at all. I think I've seen other comments on here from players on old episodes saying they were on a week later than the archive has listed.
Yes, but this contestant claims his shows aired a week earlier than shown in the Archive. (That would mean the season started on August 26th in his universe.)

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

hdayejr wrote:Horan has been a problem for at least a good 15 years. His behavior was out of control on usenet, for the simple fact that it was not moderated. His "Cbk" deal is also very disturbing. Has
anybody tried to contact his mother, since is he using her computer ?
He's been a pest on the internet for 15 years, and the entire internet didn't think to TELL HIS MOM ON HIM? :shock:
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

It's been more than 15 years, btw... I wonder how old this guy is, anyway?? Of course, he coulda been 12 when he started his online act...

I heard about him back in the AOL chatroom-trivia games, even saw him in there from time to time, and even chatted with him some between questions. I found his high interest and apparently encyclopedic knowledge in TV game shows interesting, but his "other side" was a bit, well... wierd.

This goes back to the late 90's, and I heard from others that said he'd already been a problem around AOL and other places for some years.

Being male, I never had to deal directly with the harrassment end of his personality, so I only heard second-hand about that (and often, since I liked to talk game shows with him on occasion and sometimes got carried away until being told to cool it). I do know many of the female hosts wouldn't let their scorekeepers score his answers, and that in earlier days when AOL gave hosts the power to do so, they would boot him if he even got slightly out of line... So I never saw the fella "light a Panatella" in chat. (Sorry, just had jump on the opportunity to quote my favorite Irving Berlin song) :)
JohnFenner76

Post by JohnFenner76 »

MitchO wrote: He's been a pest on the internet for 15 years, and the entire internet didn't think to TELL HIS MOM ON HIM? :shock:
From what I have seen, his mom actually DEFENDS his behavior. Him and I used to go to the same AOL chatroom, by coincidence, and whenever someone called him out on his behavior, he would log off, and she would come in and come after anyone who told him to shut up. This soon spilled over into ATGS, but she wouldn't come on the group, she would email the poster privately and ask them to stop attacking him. And this considering he was in his EARLY 30S at the time! No lie.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

JohnFenner76 wrote:
MitchO wrote: He's been a pest on the internet for 15 years, and the entire internet didn't think to TELL HIS MOM ON HIM? :shock:
From what I have seen, his mom actually DEFENDS his behavior. Him and I used to go to the same AOL chatroom, by coincidence, and whenever someone called him out on his behavior, he would log off, and she would come in and come after anyone who told him to shut up. This soon spilled over into ATGS, but she wouldn't come on the group, she would email the poster privately and ask them to stop attacking him. And this considering he was in his EARLY 30S at the time! No lie.
Are we sure this is actually his mom, or is this his mom in the same sense of Norman Bates' "mom"?

In all seriousness, I am not surprised to hear that either. In fact, considering how long it's been going on, this is the most logical explanation.

Zach posted back on the Sony boards once that he temporarily stopped his schtick because it was making a RL woman friend of his uncomfortable, and he didn't want to offend her. Forget his mom, we need *her* to come and give him a talking to! (She apparently has her head on straight, and he respects her enough to listen to her.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012