Zach Horan (legendneverdies) Banned

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Re: Zach Horan (legendneverdies) Banned

Post by triviawayne »

Is it possible to ban is ip address from even seeing the content? He can see all that is being written by not logging in. There would also need to be a way to find his ip from his mobile carrier to get him that 404 on mobile as well.

I am more for the harsh way to deal with bullies. The longer anyone lets a bully continue their actions is a very big green flag for the bully to continue. The only way to stop a bully from beating you up is to beat up the bully.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
AlphaDummy
Valued Contributor

Post by AlphaDummy »

seaborgium wrote:
AlphaDummy wrote:Personally, I always read the same message into you-know-who’s choice of “legendneverdies” as his handle…”you can ban me but I will be back”…and I do have to say that I found that highly creepy myownself. And this tendency of his to mutate into another identity is yet another reason the Feds should take him down.
I think "mutate into another identity" is overstating things. The name changes, but nothing else does. He's got no guile; he's incapable of being anything but what he is when he posts. I believe that if he shows up here again, I will recognize him by a single post.
Point well taken; I chose my words poorly here. It didn't take me long to figure out who the "legend" was myself, and I spend a whole lot less time here than most. (Actually, it just felt good to use the term "mutate" in this case...)
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

I suddenly feel a great deal happier about joining in discussion on these boards again.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

OntarioQuizzer wrote:I suddenly feel a great deal happier about joining in discussion on these boards again.
I hope more (especially some of Zach's targets) can say the same, Andy. Glad to have you back.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Fleeboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Fleeboy »

JohnFenner76 wrote:It is sad when someone who knows so much about the genre of game shows uses said knowledge to behave in such an immature way. Back on alt.tv.game-shows, David Zinkin, a late friend of myself and many in the game show community, came up with an acronym for him, "ZHIFOS," which stood for "Zach Horan is full of..." I'm sure you can figure out what the s stands for.
I'd all but forgotten the acronym "ZHIFOS," but of the three times Zach mentioned me on the ATGS, two posts contained flat-out misinformation about me. One of those made its way to Steve Beverly's daily online column, and I had to spend a busy morning doing damage control with Steve and the J! contestant staff.
jlgarfield

Post by jlgarfield »

Thank you very much, mods. Although I was not affected, his schtick was creepy, and I thank you for taking a stand against this.
kristinsausville
2015 TOC'er

Post by kristinsausville »

triviawayne wrote:I am more for the harsh way to deal with bullies. The longer anyone lets a bully continue their actions is a very big green flag for the bully to continue. The only way to stop a bully from beating you up is to beat up the bully.
That sounds like veering dangerously close to victim-blaming to me. How, pray tell, should those of us who have received these messages (it was via Jboard PM, FB inbox, and Twitter to me) be "beat[ing] up" this particular bully?
Follow me on Twitter: @ksausville
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

kristinsausville wrote:
triviawayne wrote:I am more for the harsh way to deal with bullies. The longer anyone lets a bully continue their actions is a very big green flag for the bully to continue. The only way to stop a bully from beating you up is to beat up the bully.
That sounds like veering dangerously close to victim-blaming to me. How, pray tell, should those of us who have received these messages (it was via Jboard PM, FB inbox, and Twitter to me) be "beat[ing] up" this particular bully?
I can't speak for him, but I don't think he meant the victims, except insofar as they should have reported him to the mods; I think he meant that the mods should have banned him long ago.

And I agree - what bothers me is that he apparently was still engaging in this behavior more or less in public in other corners of the Internet. When he was first allowed back, did he ever claim that he was going to reform, or did he only agree to suppress the cigar talk here but not elsewhere?
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Stanislaus Jacob wrote:
kristinsausville wrote:
I can't speak for him, but I don't think he meant the victims, except insofar as they should have reported him to the mods; I think he meant that the mods should have banned him long ago.

And I agree - what bothers me is that he apparently was still engaging in this behavior more or less in public in other corners of the Internet. When he was first allowed back, did he ever claim that he was going to reform, or did he only agree to suppress the cigar talk here but not elsewhere?
No, that's pretty much what I meant, glad you said it so I wouldn't be typing a short novel on my phone.

He has now also been banned from the WWTBAM Bored.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

triviawayne wrote: He has now also been banned from the WWTBAM Bored.
And there was much rejoicing.

Two down, an uphill battle to go.

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

I agree with dhkendall's earlier post about what the role of the moderators has been in this.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Rafferty Barnes wrote:
ElendilPickle wrote: I've mentioned elsewhere that his behavior is still a problem on WWTBAMBored and elsewhere. Tomorrow, the new Millionaire season starts, and he will start going after any woman who does well on the show, including some former J! champions and contestants who have taped. He's already started there:
http://wwtbambored.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=50368

I notice people have complained about his posts on the Bored, and I have flagged his posts and asked that he be banned, but nothing has happened yet. If people here would be kind enough to take a minute and contact the mods, maybe that could change.
Careful. I just saw he's logged in right now there. He may be watching to see who comes over.
If other people flag the post at the link I posted here and explain why in the comments section, it might help.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Wow. I had no idea that legendneverdies was him.

I know who Zach is, I am aware of the annoying comment he always makes when a female champion wins, but at first, I had no idea just how serious the situation was. Hence why a while ago I thought I'd make that joke post, where I gave the CC to a male winner instead (thought It'd be humorous). But Andy quickly let me know more about the situation and I haven't done it since. So in reference to that one post, I apologize.

Since so many people seem so relieved that he's gone, I'll also say thank you on behalf of everyone else.
JohnFenner76

Post by JohnFenner76 »

triviawayne wrote:He has now also been banned from the WWTBAM Bored.
Zach Horan's WWTBAM Bored membership was a contestant on the 9/13/15 episode of Internet Bucket Kickers (sorry, an eye for an eye).
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

AlphaDummy wrote:
Vanya wrote:
I'm curious as to what crime he has committed.
Assuming the incidents cited in this thread to be true, section 2 in the link cited below should suffice:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/2261A
I doubt if anything he has done qualifies as a crime under that statute. The best course of action is to ignore him, but few can resist commenting; so we have a 4 page thread about someone we hate.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Vanya wrote:
AlphaDummy wrote:
Vanya wrote:
Assuming the incidents cited in this thread to be true, section 2 in the link cited below should suffice:

I doubt if anything he has done qualifies as a crime under that statute. The best course of action is to ignore him, but few can resist commenting; so we have a 4 page thread about someone we hate.
No. If someone is feeling threatened, ignoring is not the "best course of action", that gives power to the person who is harassing and is victim-blaming.

As to if anything qualifies as a crime, neither of us could speak on that as neither of us are lawyers. So your thoughts on that don't really matter. Especially if you feel undermining concerns of someone who is feeling threatened is "the best course of action".

:evil:

kristinsausville
2015 TOC'er

Post by kristinsausville »

Vanya wrote:
AlphaDummy wrote:
Vanya wrote:

If we all had ignored him, we wouldn't have known how extensive the problem was, and his victims wouldn't have known that we weren't alone.
Follow me on Twitter: @ksausville
BobF

Post by BobF »

kristinsausville wrote:
To me, it seems like he's blaming anybody who was silent while they knew it was going on, not necessarily the victim.

For instance, if somebody was aware of his behavior and didn't warn the new female champs on the board, they were, in essence, giving him the green flag.

(Sorry, mods, I think you guys do a great job, and you are volunteers and giving your time freely, I don't have those expectations of you.)
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

BobF wrote:
kristinsausville wrote:
To me, it seems like he's blaming anybody who was silent while they knew it was going on, not necessarily the victim.

For instance, if somebody was aware of his behavior and didn't warn the new female champs on the board, they were, in essence, giving him the green flag.

(Sorry, mods, I think you guys do a great job, and you are volunteers and giving your time freely, I don't have those expectations of you.)
I did not mean for the victims to feel they were to blame. The only one to blame is Zach. I only meant a bully must be dealt with or the bully will continue.

It's not for me to judge, but I do wonder why he was ever allowed on the board if he was known to be a problem from the start.
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

I want to personally thank the mods for this move. I have plenty of ZH stories, and they continued after the my appearances (once Julia won so many games, he made sure to to rub it in). I think it's helpful to have this thread to discuss why something that seems merely annoying is more than that, and how female contestants are subjected to sexist treatment. I'd like to visit here more often, but I haven't always felt like my presence or feminist point of view was valued. I'm hoping that banning ZHIFOS will change that.