Zach Horan (legendneverdies) Banned

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Re: Zach Horan (legendneverdies) Banned

Post by Magna »

Dr. J wrote: I'd like to visit here more often, but I haven't always felt like my presence or feminist point of view was valued.
I've sometimes agreed and sometimes disagreed with what you posted, but I do appreciate seeing what you have to say and I'm glad you are here!

By the way, I'm now trying to think back and see if I inadvertently posted anything bad, by quoting or agreeing with him on some point. I didn't know anything about any of what he was saying or doing. Edit: I feel a little bit like I imagine Marybeth Matz might have felt later, after realizing what kind of message she had replied to. Ick.
Last edited by Magna on Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hdayejr
Contributor

Post by hdayejr »

Dont forget this tool was sitting feet away from Regis on Abc Millionaire
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

hdayejr wrote:Dont forget this tool was sitting feet away from Regis on Abc Millionaire
And in one fell swoop I suddenly became 100% in favour of their switch to "auditions" instead of "the phone game".
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

Well done, all. Because ZH's behavior is literally incomprehensible to me, I prefer to think of him as akin to a natural nuisance, like tapeworms or freezing rain or norovirus. It is simply a waste of time to anthropomorphize him. He won't respond to reason or entreaty. The best ways for society to respond are to minimize exposure, to share valuable information about recent outbreaks and their harmful effects, to protect those who are especially vulnerable, and to make the innocent aware of the dangers.

I prefer to think of this thread not as five pages about someone we hate, but five pages about a group of us we care deeply about.

Rex
mxc_takeshi
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mxc_takeshi »

I wasn't really familiar with his behavior, but only focusing on women and the constant messaging and harassment is not acceptable. If people are made uncomfortable by it, they have a right to speak out, and if it persists, the harasser must be punished. Kudos to the moderators.
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

I'm late to the conversation but kudos to Rafferbee, Kristen, the mods and other alert souls for their part in getting this taken care of.

Poor guy really seems not to comprehend ... well, a lot of things. But on balance this board will not be diminished through his absence.
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Rex Kramer wrote:I prefer to think of this thread not as five pages about someone we hate, but five pages about a group of us we care deeply about.
Well said, Rex.

Bian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
JohnFenner76

Post by JohnFenner76 »

Budphrey wrote: Poor guy really seems not to comprehend ... well, a lot of things. But on balance this board will not be diminished through his absence.
Zach knows full well what kind of behavior is acceptable and what isn't, truth is, he likes to make people think he doesn't so they'll excuse it. His absence from here is a tremendous improvement.

For the one who says we should ignore him...if he were just merely trolling, I can agree with that. But stalking innocent women who just want to enjoy themselves playing Jeopardy!, no, it's best that it be dealt with.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

dhkendall wrote:
Vanya wrote:
AlphaDummy wrote:
Vanya wrote:
I'm curious as to what crime he has committed.
Assuming the incidents cited in this thread to be true, section 2 in the link cited below should suffice:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/2261A
I doubt if anything he has done qualifies as a crime under that statute. The best course of action is to ignore him, but few can resist commenting; so we have a 4 page thread about someone we hate.
No. If someone is feeling threatened, ignoring is not the "best course of action", that gives power to the person who is harassing and is victim-blaming.

As to if anything qualifies as a crime, neither of us could speak on that as neither of us are lawyers. So your thoughts on that don't really matter. Especially if you feel undermining concerns of someone who is feeling threatened is "the best course of action".

:evil:
I can read as well as any lawyer; the statute is plain (all lawyers are scum, btw). I'm not undermining anything, just trying to get you to recognize that he will never be pursued, let alone punished, by the FBI or the courts.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

Vanya wrote:I can read as well as any lawyer; the statute is plain (all lawyers are scum, btw). I'm not undermining anything, just trying to get you to recognize that he will never be pursued, let alone punished, by the FBI or the courts.
Not to validate everything (or, indeed, anything) else Vanya just said, but what he wrote from "just trying" to the full stop is undoubtedly correct.

Rex
Rafferty Barnes
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Rafferty Barnes »

I had a hard enough time explaining all this to you guys, I would not be eager to explain my internet subcommunity to the FBI, though I have everything saved if that step needs to be taken in the future, and if any other women want it, send me a PM.

The first step would probably be to get a restraining order and then if he continues his unwelcome attention to move on from there.

Rex Kramer, you are the noblest and gentlest and best of all who ever came to this place.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

bpmod wrote:
hdayejr wrote:Has anybody tried to contact his mother, since is he using her computer ?
Maybe she never ventures down to her basement...

Brian
NO; because he keeps her IN the basement, and she looks like this:

The Horror! The Horror! :shock:
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

Rafferty Barnes wrote:Rex Kramer, you are the noblest and gentlest and best of all who ever came to this place.
I return your good wishes, charming Rafferbee. :)

Rex
arjavrawal
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by arjavrawal »

goatman wrote:
bpmod wrote:
hdayejr wrote:Has anybody tried to contact his mother, since is he using her computer ?
Maybe she never ventures down to her basement...

Brian
NO; because he keeps her IN the basement, and she looks like this:

The Horror! The Horror! :shock:
Wow, nice to see Dick Cheney hasn't changed a bit since he left office.
NYCScribbler
Harbinger of the Outchange

Post by NYCScribbler »

I never had the misfortune of dealing with him in his own speshul way, but from everything described, I hope it rains through his sukkah every. single. day.
"Who said anything about a horse?!"

"Also, how the bleep did I forget Russia even exists?!"- TPH
JohnFenner76

Post by JohnFenner76 »

For those who are wondering, his capers online actually started in 1996 on ATGS, 2 years before I joined that group, with stupid game show proposals and other trolling crap. So 19 years, to be exact!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Rex Kramer wrote:Well done, all. Because ZH's behavior is literally incomprehensible to me, I prefer to think of him as akin to a natural nuisance, like tapeworms or freezing rain or norovirus. It is simply a waste of time to anthropomorphize him. He won't respond to reason or entreaty. The best ways for society to respond are to minimize exposure, to share valuable information about recent outbreaks and their harmful effects, to protect those who are especially vulnerable, and to make the innocent aware of the dangers.

I prefer to think of this thread not as five pages about someone we hate, but five pages about a group of us we care deeply about.

Rex
Agreed. I know he is probably getting his jollies seeing us have this lengthy discussion about him. But I think this thread is needed so everyone can see him for the creep that he was. I know he will continue to troll Facebook, youtube and other places much bigger than this site, but at least the unofficial official Jeopardy board won't be dragged down by him.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

I cannot recall the explanation now so many years later, but I'm sure Zach gave the origin of part of his phrase as coming from some old game show or even radio show? Searching for the key terms would of course be a waste of time.
hdayejr
Contributor

Post by hdayejr »

Bamaman wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote:Well done, all. Because ZH's behavior is literally incomprehensible to me, I prefer to think of him as akin to a natural nuisance, like tapeworms or freezing rain or norovirus. It is simply a waste of time to anthropomorphize him. He won't respond to reason or entreaty. The best ways for society to respond are to minimize exposure, to share valuable information about recent outbreaks and their harmful effects, to protect those who are especially vulnerable, and to make the innocent aware of the dangers.

Rex
Agreed. I know he is probably getting his jollies seeing us have this lengthy discussion about him. But I think this thread is needed so everyone can see him for the creep that he was. I know he will continue to troll Facebook, youtube and other places much bigger than this site, but at least the unofficial official Jeopardy board won't be dragged down by him.
You really don't want to know what he does while he reads our posts :P
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

He removed his profile picture from his Facebook page. I wonder why. (Still shows up in Google's cache, though.)