Thursday, September 17, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, September 17, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7129, 2015-09-17

CONTESTANTS
Natalie Lips, an office assistant from Lincoln, Nebraska
Bobby O'Neill, a senior fraud investigator from Andover, Massachusetts
Audrey Watkins-Fox, a mortgage coordinator originally from Lockport, New York (whose 2-day cash winnings total $33,000)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Hello, ladies and gentlemen. Good to have you with us again today on Jeopardy! I'm happy to announce that we have, for the first time this season, a champion who has won more than one game. Of course, this is only our fourth show in the new season, so that's not such a great accomplishment.

[Laughter]

Alex: Bobby and Natalie, welcome aboard. You're the newcomers. Good to have you with us. And, Audrey, nice to see you again. You'll pick first from these categories in the Jeopardy! Round--here they are, starting off with...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
PUBLIC DOMAIN RINGTONES (4/5)
AROUND THE WORLD (3/4, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ACTORS & ACTRESSES (5/5)
REPLICAS (3/4)
LUCKY 7 (2/3)
AFTER GLOW (5/5) (Alex: Each correct response will come after the word "glow" in a dictionary, and as a matter of fact, it will begin with the same two letters.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Natalie: 11 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Bobby: 8 R, 3 W
Audrey: 3 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 3 W

Clues revealed: 26
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,400

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Natalie: $5,000
Bobby: $3,000
Audrey: -$1,400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: First player we introduced on the program today, Natalie Lips, is known at work as the Coffee Monster.

[Natalie chuckles.]

Alex: Why?

Natalie: Because I'm always drinking coffee. Everyone at work always gives me crap about, you know, I always have a coffee in my hand, and if I don't have a coffee in my hand, I'm probably the not--not the best person to deal with.

Alex: All right, a lot of people need a cup of coffee in the morning to get them started. Uh, how much coffee do you drink in a day?

Natalie: Probably about four cups, maybe.

Alex: Oh, that's nothing.

[Laughter]

Alex: That's nothing, I don't drink coffee at all, but I don't think four cups of coffee in one day... is... [Alex jitters] is a lot.

[Laughter]

Alex: Bobby O'Neill.

Bobby: Yes.

Alex: Senior fraud investigator from Andover, Massachusetts.

Bobby: Yep.

Alex: Was made fun of by a Secret Service agent.

Bobby: I was.

Alex: What is this inter, uh, inter-rivalry there, or--interagency rivalry?

Bobby: Oh, not at all. Way more boring than that. So, uh, my beautiful girlfriend Caitlin and I were on a tour of the White House, and, uh, on the application form, I, uh, maybe didn't put the right birthday down.

Alex: Ooh.

Bobby: Uh, so she got detained for a minute or so. And I--I asked the Secret Service agent, you know, "Is this going to be a problem?" He said, "Oh, it's not a problem. You just don't know your girlfriend's birthday. That's never been a problem for anyone before."

Alex: Ooh.

Bobby: Yeah.

Alex: She's still your girlfriend?

Bobby: I learned it quick after--she is. She's right over there.

Alex: Yeah. Okay.

Bobby: Yeah.

Alex: So she's not your wife yet?

Bobby: Not yet. [Laughs]

Alex: Yeah, okay. You'd better not forget important dates like that if you guys get married, I'll tell ya.

[Laughter]

Alex: Audrey Watkins-Fox is our champion. Her favorite band is the Rolling Stones. And she also has... what?

Audrey: I have got the, uh, Rolling Stones tongue tattooed. I've got a Rolling Stones tongue tattoo. I just got to see 'em, like, last month. It was great. It was my fourth time. They're great. If you get a chance to see 'em, do it.

Alex: I'm a gracious host. I will not ask you where that tattoo is.

[Laughter]

Audrey: [Laughing] All right.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Audrey found the Daily Double on the 25th clue. Audrey was in the hole with -$1,800, Bobby had $2,400, and Natalie was at $6,800. Audrey wagered $1,000.

AROUND THE WORLD $600: They drive on the left in this South Atlantic group of about 200 islands & 2,900 people

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
REPLICAS $1000: Caesars Palace in Las Vegas turned a replica of this type of Cleopatra craft into a nightclub
(Audrey: What is a ship?)
(Alex: Quite often you hear about Cleopatra's [*] sailing down the Nile.)

AROUND THE WORLD $800: Mexican hat is in Utah & Medicine Hat is in this Canadian province
(Bobby: What is Saskatchewan?)

LUCKY 7 $800: One of the "Seven Sisters" colleges, this Northampton, Mass. school has been empowering women since the 1870s
(Natalie: What is Bryn Mawr?)
(Bobby: What's Mount Holyoke?)
(Audrey: What is Radcliffe?)
(Alex: No. No harm, no foul on that one. You all missed [*].)

PUBLIC DOMAIN RINGTONES $800: For immigrants from Italy, this 19th c. song stirred up nostalgia for the homeland
(Alex: And that's exactly the same way it was played in the opera--[*].)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Natalie: $6,800
Bobby: $2,800
Audrey: -$800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, September 17, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
BIOLOGY (4/5)
CHARACTERS IN MUSICALS (2/3, including 1 missed Daily Double)
BRITISH ROYAL HOUSES (4/5)
NOOK (2/5)
KINDLE (3/5)
"E"-READERS (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Natalie: 10 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Audrey: 5 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Bobby: 3 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 8
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $12,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Audrey snagged the next Daily Double on the 8th clue. Audrey had $400, Bobby had $4,000, and Natalie was at $10,000. Audrey wagered $2,000.

"E"-READERS $1600: This novel by Sinclair Lewis caused an uproar for its satiric indictment of fundamentalist religion
(Audrey: Oh, no. [Laughs] Um... what is Ender's Game?)
(Alex: Starts with, "[*] was drunk.")

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Natalie who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 28th clue. Audrey had $800, Bobby had $2,400, and Natalie was at $16,800. Natalie wagered $200.

CHARACTERS IN MUSICALS $1200: FDR,
dog catcher
(Natalie: What is The Glass Menagerie?)
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
"E"-READERS $800: Longfellow's "Tale of Acadie", it begins, "This is the forest primeval"
(Alex: "Murmuring pines and the hemlocks, bearded in moss"--[*].)

BIOLOGY $1600: It's the 10-letter term for the principle that living organisms are produced only by other living organisms

NOOK $1200: From 1871 to 1891 Mark Twain lived in the Nook Farm region of this Connecticut city
(Bobby: What is New Haven?)
(Audrey: What is Bridgeport?)

NOOK $1600: You'll find "nook" in this word from the Scottish for a cozy corner by the hearth
(Bobby: What is a snook?)

BRITISH ROYAL HOUSES $1600: This house that collapsed in 9 days bore the name of an ill-fated lady

KINDLE $1600: A sudden outburst of fire, violence or a rash

KINDLE $2000: Rhyming term for a section of forest that keeps catching fire
(Alex: Firefighters know it as [*].)

NOOK $2000: Perfect for a nook is this stand, a series of shelves for small objects whose name is from the French for "shelf"
(Alex: We have less than a minute for those last three clues, Natalie.)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Natalie: $16,600 (lock game)
Bobby: $2,400
Audrey: $800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CONTEMPORARIES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; lock for second place.
Natalie: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $11,799 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Bobby: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $799 (martian), and enjoy 2nd place.
Audrey: You've no hope of catching up... unless Bobby does something stupid. So risk $799.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
On an 1851 visit to Europe, Mathew Brady had hoped to meet this man who inspired him, but he died just as Brady set sail

FINAL SCORES
Audrey: $800 + $800 = $1,600 (Who is Daguerre?) (3rd place)
Bobby: $2,400 - $0 = $2,400 (Who is James Cook?) (2nd place)
Natalie: $16,600 - $3,400 = $13,200 (Who is Na!oleon) (New champion: $13,200)
[Alex read Natalie's response as "Napoleon", though what she wrote looked more like "Na!oleon" or "Napleon".]

Total Potential Lach Trash: $15,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Natalie: $16,800, 21 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Audrey: $2,400, 8 R (including 1 DD), 5 W (including 1 DD)
Bobby: $2,400, 11 R, 5 W
Combined Coryat: $21,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Natalie: 21/59 = .356
Bobby: 11/58 = .190
Audrey: 9/60 = .150
Team: 41/63 = .651

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
AFTER GLOW $600: A massive surplus
(Audrey: Uh, what is, um... gluttony?)

AFTER GLOW $1000: Adjective meaning pertaining to the buttocks
[Applause for Natalie's run of the category]
(Alex: $3,000 for you. Off to a very good start.)

PUBLIC DOMAIN RINGTONES $600: Let's take the call & mess with this flowery tune

PUBLIC DOMAIN RINGTONES $200: It must be Hal Prince calling me when I hear this title tone

PUBLIC DOMAIN RINGTONES $400: I programmed this song to play when the exterminator calls

PUBLIC DOMAIN RINGTONES $1000: This Christmas tone was written in the late 19th century

REPLICAS $600: A replica of the Hermione, on which this marquis sailed to join the American Revolution, made its own Atlantic crossing in 2015
(Alex: You got him, and with less than a minute to go now.)

REPLICAS $400: Oak Ridge National Laboratory created a replica Shelby Cobra using this alphanumeric technology
(Bobby: What's F1?)

AROUND THE WORLD $400: Seen here, this port city of 5 million is found on both banks of the Neva River
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

BIOLOGY $2000: (Kelly of the Clue Crew shows a cell diagram on the monitor.) Inside an animal cell, besides the nucleus, there are different organelles, including these powerhouses of the cell that convert food to usable energy

NOOK $400: This meal precedes "nook" in the name of the cozy kitchen area seen here

CORRECT RESPONSES
the Falklands
barge
Alberta
Smith
"O Sole Mio"
Elmer Gantry
Annie
Evangeline
biogenesis
Hartford
inglenook
Grey
a flare-up
a hot spot
an étagre
Louis Daguerre
glut
gluteal
"The Yellow Rose of Texas"
"Give My Regards To Broadway"
"La Cucaracha"
"Away In A Manger"
the Marquis de Lafayette
3-D printing
Saint Petersburg
mitochondria
breakfast
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Not an instaget, but it came to me quickly enough.
MitchO
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MitchO »

Uhhhh... why was camera focused on the tattoo on NATALIE'S ankle at the end? It wasn't the champ's Rolling Stones tattoo ...
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Contemporaries

On an 1851 visit to Europe, Matthew Brady had hoped to meet this man who inspired him, but he died just as Brady set sail.
Spoiler
Who is Daguerre? Bobby had James Cook; Natalie had Napoleon.

Bobby O'Neill: $2400-$0 = $2,400
Audrey Watkins-Fox: $800+$800=$1,600
Natalie Lips: $16,600-$3,400= now a 1-day champion with $13,200
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

After Glow gives me my first run of the season after having at least one 4/5 in each game prior.

4/5 in name recognition in Actors/Actresses, all but Alison Brie, but I thought the paths to them were obscure. There's Something About Mary? Moneyball? Spanglish? I recognize those titles too, but outside maybe TSAM, they don't strike me as super insta recognizable movies.

First "crap" in a contestant interview?

Champ really struggled. I think that's the first time I've ever seen someone hit a DD, max it out correctly, and still be in the hole.

I wonder if the "Away in a Manger" clue confused any non-Americans? The clue used "Mueller", the melody most Americans use for that carol, but nearly all other countries use "Cradle Song" instead. I had no idea on "Give My Regards to Broadway" or "O Sole Mio".

LTAM with three clues, and they sound the beeps after only one? I smell an edit. It sounded like there was a jump cut when Alex announced the FJ! category, so I wouldn't rule out the last two musicals being stand-and-stares.

I might as well have not played along to FJ!, because no way was I getting anywhere with Biology, Musicals, British Houses, and all that obscure crap in the Nook category. I literally had a $0 net gain in Coryat in that round, thanks in part to two negs.

Spent the entire 30 seconds trying to remember who Matthew Brady was, but once again, the name was just too generic to trigger anything. But as soon as Alex mentioned photography, I knew exactly who they were looking for. Curse you, generic names that don't stick in my head!
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Congratulations to Natalie on her win. She did especially well with the pop-culture clues. I had 33 correct responses including four triple stumpers: Alberta, "O sole mio", "Evangeline", and biogenesis (I wonder why my spell checker underlines "biogenesis"). I got FJ, but it took a few seconds.
Leander

Post by Leander »

MitchO wrote:Uhhhh... why was camera focused on the tattoo on NATALIE'S ankle at the end? It wasn't the champ's Rolling Stones tattoo ...
Yeah that was odd, but I missed her interview and figured it must have come up then.

Couple of bad guesses for FJ there.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

New champ owned that show my gosh! Grats Natalie! :)

40R for goats, instaget Fj, LT: Medicine Hat > Alberta; Longfellow/Acadia >Evangeline; Ingle nook; lady Jane Grey.
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I guess we saw Natalie's tattoo because she was closest to the camera and was wearing a skirt that exposed her lower leg. Audrey was in the back and I think she had on pants, though her tattoo may not have been somewhere you could show on TV.

No clue on FJ, guessed Eastman.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

MitchO wrote:Uhhhh... why was camera focused on the tattoo on NATALIE'S ankle at the end? It wasn't the champ's Rolling Stones tattoo ...
I was on automatic pilot ignore mode for the 20 second commercial insert, but when I looked up, I only caught the last 2 seconds of the close-up. It was so out of place, I didn't notice the tattoo until after they switched to the full body shot.
Perhaps somebody could post a screen capture of the tattoo to see if there was any significance..

Audry's crash & burn was pretty bad. When Bobby's score started plummeting, I thought we may have a one person FJ.
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

So far, I'm 2-2 in FJ. Both times, I got the ones that all 3 missed.
willwoodlen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by willwoodlen »

Bobby looked as if he was going to be an aggressive player when he jumped to the bottom clues, but he couldn't back up his apparent intentions. Good for Natalie to stay steady while her two opponents were struggling. Glad they both ended on the plus side, at least, and it was fun to see Audrey come up with the solo FJ get.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

Usually when Jeopardy is preempted for football, an alternate station carries it, but it had Family Feud today, so I didn't see it.

Looking at the FJ on here, it wasn't instant, but still got it. Usually, I know years of death, but not Daguerre's; well-known photography pioneer and took a guess.
JillyJill
2016 Teachers Tournament

Post by JillyJill »

willwoodlen wrote:Bobby looked as if he was going to be an aggressive player when he jumped to the bottom clues, but he couldn't back up his apparent intentions. Good for Natalie to stay steady while her two opponents were struggling. Glad they both ended on the plus side, at least, and it was fun to see Audrey come up with the solo FJ get.
I know that jumping about is a thing, it throws off the others, etc., but I think it ruins clues more often than not. The contestants don't have the feel of the category and miss ones they would have gotten had they run the category, as Natalie did with "After Glow."

I am not confident enough in Biology. I knew them all but didn't ring in. Sigh.

That would have been Audrey's third show in a row, right? She looked exhausted. Natalie had the advantage of drinking caffeine while waiting. :)

Hats off to Audrey for her FJ. It made sense to me once I heard it.
caknuck
Jarlsberger

Post by caknuck »

JillyJill wrote:
That would have been Audrey's third show in a row, right? She looked exhausted. Natalie had the advantage of drinking caffeine while waiting. :)
This episode was filmed after lunch, and Audrey fell victim of the adrenaline-crash + turkey sandwich combo. That tryptophan is a bitch.
@caknuck
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The tattoo:
Spoiler

"E" READER should be mandatory studying for any contestants in the pool.

Whatever Audrey had for lunch it did not work. (Ah, thanks caknuck for insight.)

Natalie was good, but not that many times better as the scoreboard indicated. I was wrong about the Combined Coryat being higher again as once again it was 21600. Of course not seeing 6 clues tonight doesn't help although it was an improvement over the 9 unplayed yesterday.

Tonight's FJ! was a good demonstration why I'm glad I got on the show in my 40s and not my 50s. I wrote Lumier and before I could finish it I stopped, knowing that they were brothers in the movie field later in the century. The clue was indicating one person. I had to do Mathew Brady/photographer multiple times in my head before Daguerre came to me.

While I am happy to get the solve it's discouraging to take almost half the time when it should take less than five seconds to get there.
caknuck
Jarlsberger

Post by caknuck »

FJ -- got it, but after a moment or two or waffling (3-1 this season)
TS gets -- barge, Alberta, House of Grey
Misses -- Tudor (York), flare-up (outbreak... acceptable?)

Bobby worked in "my beautiful girlfriend Kaitlyn", partially because Corina coached us to "Say their names; they'll love it!"

I was hoping secretly hoping Bobby had some scandalous ink -- a trampstamp depicting the "Full House" cast or some such -- when they played tattoo show-and-tell.
@caknuck
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Crossed out Lumiere and put down Daguerre after ten seconds or so.

Natalie seems like a solid player.
mrexley
Valued Contributor

Post by mrexley »

Maybe Natalie consumed her requisite four cups of coffee before this game, my goodness her signaling speed.

I can't tell if that tattoo is a button or a round pretzel.

Hooray, I got FJ for the first time this week, so I won't go 0-for-the-season.
Learned League: KimEd