Tuesday, November 10, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: Tuesday, November 10, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dhkendall wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:NHO "Black-Ish" (also the last name of a character in The Wainscott Weasel innit?). I hate "throw a new show in the $200 box" clues.
Because it's "new" more people would have heard of it, because it's in the public consciousness more. (Full disclosure, I didn't get that one at all. But I've at least heard of (and seen ads for) Black-ish)
Whereas I would think that you'd want the top box to be a stalwart that has had serious longevity, either in first-run, reruns, or both, since it will have had more time to enter the public consciousness and won't run the risk of it being a show whose interest flames out between taping and airing. I remember an episode not too long ago where they asked in the first box about some show that only lasted half a season and been canceled for months by the time the episode aired. (Anyone know what it was?)

And I'm not saying this just because the CMA's are the only thing I've watched on ABC in the past decade.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

TenPoundHammer wrote:And I'm not saying this just because the CMA's are the only thing I've watched on ABC in the past decade.
There are two things I've watched on ABC in the past decade. And neither of them was the CMA's.

Can you guess what they were?
Hint:
Spoiler
One of them wasn't Jeopardy!
Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
MitchO
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MitchO »

dhkendall wrote:
MitchO wrote:Judges? Masked man comfortable at Dodger Stadium (6):

Uhh ... how about "Batman"?
I said "batboy" (thinking of a double meaning of the baseball employee and the "masked man", marked it wrong, but it's not completely wrong.

Just like "touching scene at an airport (7)" I had "reunion". I suppose it's more literal than cryptic, but, again marked wrong even though it's not completely wrong.
Honestly, I gotta feel like "Batman" works better than "batboy" (yours is more literal to a term for the stadium, mine is an actual name of a character with a mask), but the thing that threw me off more than anything else was the specific inclusion of Dodger Stadium. Part of why I zoned in on "Batman" was a fractured memory of an old Don Mattingly (until recently, the manager of the Dodgers, and I wasn't sure how that timeline meshed with the taping of the episode) poster where I thought they called him "Bat Man"; turns out I was misremembering this one :

Last edited by MitchO on Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Winchell Factor »

davey wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:
For the "cryptic crossword clues" clue that asked for "forwarding address for sled dog" (4 letters), I said "Nome," through which the route of the Iditarod passes (because participating dogs could get their mail forwarded to there). Judges?
Dogs don't get mail.
Apologies if somebody else already said this; I just skimmed.

I had to see this game twice and ponder the clue afterward before I could really parse it. Mush is the word you use to address a sled dog in order to start it moving forward. Far too cute (by which I mean, too impenetrable) to be accessible during the course of play, if you ask me.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

bpmod wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:And I'm not saying this just because the CMA's are the only thing I've watched on ABC in the past decade.
There are two things I've watched on ABC in the past decade. And neither of them was the CMA's.

Can you guess what they were?
Hint:
Spoiler
One of them wasn't Jeopardy!
Brian
Spoiler
Agents of SHIELD!
Judges: Grommet for eyelet?

And my snark over TOC FJs has been delightfully unfounded...so far. (Even missing Monday's, it -was- a good clue.)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Winchell Factor wrote:
davey wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:
For the "cryptic crossword clues" clue that asked for "forwarding address for sled dog" (4 letters), I said "Nome," through which the route of the Iditarod passes (because participating dogs could get their mail forwarded to there). Judges?
Dogs don't get mail.

I had to see this game twice and ponder the clue afterward before I could really parse it. Mush is the word you use to address a sled dog in order to start it moving forward. Far too cute (by which I mean, too impenetrable) to be accessible during the course of play, if you ask me.
Except that Brennan did correctly ring in with "mush," IIRC. It never would have occurred to me before he did, but once I heard that response I immediately understood why it was what the writers were going for.

I suspect that had I responded with Nome, I would have initially been negged, but that neg would then have been reversed during the next break in play.

On the umpire clue, "Batman" doesn't really work. Why would a superhero be especially comfortable in a baseball stadium?
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
davey

Post by davey »

Winchell Factor wrote:
davey wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:
Dogs don't get mail.

The unexpected reading is what makes it a "cryptic" clue. Brennan got it with no problem, as did I and many others, I'm sure.
davey

Post by davey »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:NHO "Black-Ish" (also the last name of a character in The Wainscott Weasel innit?). I hate "throw a new show in the $200 box" clues.
Because it's "new" more people would have heard of it, because it's in the public consciousness more. (Full disclosure, I didn't get that one at all. But I've at least heard of (and seen ads for) Black-ish)
Whereas I would think that you'd want the top box to be a stalwart that has had serious longevity, either in first-run, reruns, or both, since it will have had more time to enter the public consciousness and won't run the risk of it being a show whose interest flames out between taping and airing. I remember an episode not too long ago where they asked in the first box about some show that only lasted half a season and been canceled for months by the time the episode aired. (Anyone know what it was?)

And I'm not saying this just because the CMA's are the only thing I've watched on ABC in the past decade.
Black-ish is not a new show. It's in its second season and is a solid hit.
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

davey wrote:
Winchell Factor wrote:
davey wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:
Dogs don't get mail.

The unexpected reading is what makes it a "cryptic" clue. Brennan got it with no problem, as did I and many others, I'm sure.
There were no specific instructions or parameters given for the category -- so they can't enforce a requirement that the response reflect an "unexpected reading."
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

davey wrote:Black-ish is not a new show. It's in its second season and is a solid hit.
Then it's new-ish. :lol:

I still think that "vintage" shows are the best kinds to put in the top box.
Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Winchell Factor »

Also, add me to the list of people really glad I didn't have to figure out a Final Jeopardy wager in this game. Gevalt! (Also glad I didn't have to answer it.)

All kinds of props to our friend Kristin for a well played game, and to Greg and Brennan if they ever happen to browse these boards.
davey

Post by davey »

hbomb1947 wrote:
davey wrote:
Winchell Factor wrote:
davey wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:
Dogs don't get mail.

There were no specific instructions or parameters given for the category --
Except its name.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Also, I learned cryptic crosswords differently. I thought they were two-part clues like "Tragic arrangement in A-flat" (5), where both "tragic" and "arrangement in A-flat" are hinting toward
Spoiler
fatal, as "tragic" is the more direct half of the clue, and "arrangement in A-flat" indicates that the word is an anagram of "A-flat"
At least that's what Games taught this amateur cruciverablist (which is too unwieldy to be a good name for a rock band).
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

goatman wrote:
Category 13 wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote: I'm old enough to remember when the Susan B. Anthony silver dollar came out, and it was widely known by that term. That shouldn't be controversial.
Likewise, the Eisenhower dollars before them were commonly called 'silver dollars'. Nobody ever called them "dollar coins'.
OK LOL I see the disconnect. Yes, the S.B. Anthony coin is Silver in COLOR so technically "silver [colored] dollar" would be acceptable; however, what we objectors refer to is the lack of any Ag content in the coin, which is 75% copper / 25% nickel / 0% Silver, unlike the Eisenhower silver dollar, which was a real silver-clad coin with a copper / nickel core! :o
I had some of these, and foolishly traded them away long long ago... DOH!
The only EIsenhower dollars to contain silver were the ones in the limited production Mint Sets. They weren't intended for circulation, although they are legal tender.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I knew that Era of Good Feelings=Monroe, but I had zero chance of teasing out that clue. I guessed Wilson.
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

davey wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:There were no specific instructions or parameters given for the category --
davey wrote:Except its name.
Its name doesn't really convey any useful information about the meaning of "cryptic" in the context of the category.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The game is in the Archive to take another look at the clues. We may not like it, but I am satisfied by the evidence in the thread that silver dollar had to be acceptable. Grommet looks fine to me for eyelet. I agree Nome would probably be negged and later reversed.

I had no chance at mush and briefly thought Nome while playing the clue as a clam.

For close QF matches:

1994 QF4

John Cuthbertson: 5300+5101=10401
David Hillinck: 5200+5200=10400
Rachael Schwartz: 6200+3100=9300 (WC of course)

1995 QF2

Paul Thompson: 6000+5001=11001
Isaac Segal: 5500+5500=11000 (WC)
Jim Vercolen: 5500+4500=10000 (WC)

For double values it's tonight's game as the closest among all three players easily. The Coryats of 13,000 - 14400 - 14200 were close as well.

I looked at the FJ! clue and recognized nothing. In trying to work out a guess I thought "peculiar felicity" sounded old, so I narrowed my search to first 10 presidents.

Rereading the clue to pick up on "first address" meaning the guy served two terms limited the options once again. I wrote the "W" for Washington and never finished it as "happy" leading to Monroe's "Era of Good Feelings" hit me as the better guess.

There's no difference in someone getting it in one second or ten seconds, so I'm happy to have used think time to my advantage.

As I had posted in the pre-taping thread this was the game I wished to produce three semifinalists. Brennan did his part (I'm glad the Guthrie miss did not cost him) and the wait game is on for Kristin and Greg. Kristin and Greg could not know they were in or out until Friday's game, so no fun for them in the audience.

Kristin: Excellent job with the buzzer timing to be very competitive. You did well to even up a match I thought did you no favors with the draw. I was impressed.
BRD-98
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by BRD-98 »

Final Jeopardy! was an instaget for me given I studied it in APUSH (yes, I'm in high school) just three days ago. :D
davey

Post by davey »

hbomb1947 wrote:
Its name doesn't really convey any useful information about the meaning of "cryptic" in the context of the category.
You're speaking for yourself. Certainly it helped some of us understand this clue in a way that turns out to be more sensible than the one that reads the expression "forwarding address" more conventionally.
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

Well, once again, another FJ! right for Brennan now gives him 7/7. It's as if FJ! is mostly his strongsuit and knows where to feel confident in. Likewise, Greg seemed to gain momentum in the first half, but only rung in 6 times in DJ! while Brennan and Kristin were seesawing back and forth answering only 8 and 9 respectedly. It questions me if the wildcard slots would already be filled in faster than ever, leaving the others far behind.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.