Tuesday, November 10, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, November 10, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:On the umpire clue, "Batman" doesn't really work. Why would a superhero be especially comfortable in a baseball stadium?
Why would an umpire?
The clue actually reads "always at home."
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

davey wrote:
astrohip wrote:
MitchO wrote:Judges? Masked man comfortable at Dodger Stadium (6):

Uhh ... how about "Batman"?
I had this also, and would protest if not accepted as correct.
I'm not sure I understand this. It works only if "batman" is slang or lingo for a batter (which I've never heard) and if a batter in baseball wears a mask.
In its common meaning, why would Batman be "always at home" (the correct wording from the archive) in a baseball stadium? To state the obvious, we're talking about different kinds of bats...
You might have more of a case if it had been Globe Life Park with a response of "Ranger."
We can debate this back and forth forever, but I will say that "we're talking about different kinds of bats" is what makes the "Cryptic" part of the description work for this answer (to me, anyway). The "Bat"man cross reference for baseball hitters has been used countless times in various medias, such as Matty's newspaper headline above. And "Umpire" isn't specific to baseball, so I just don't see why that's a better answer. The category leaves itself open to this.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

davey wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:On the umpire clue, "Batman" doesn't really work. Why would a superhero be especially comfortable in a baseball stadium?
Why would an umpire?
The first base, second base, third base, etc umpires would disagree.
davey

Post by davey »

MitchO wrote:
davey wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
Why would an umpire?
They don't wear masks, do they?
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

MitchO wrote:
davey wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
Why would an umpire?
The clue mentioned a masked man. But during a play, the home plate umpire may position themselves on another base. On a ball hit to the center field wall, the home plate umpire may be the one at third base to make the call if the batter has tried to get a triple.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

davey wrote:
MitchO wrote:
davey wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
Why would an umpire?
They don't wear masks, do they?
That's kinda true, I'll give ya that. But again, overall ... It's getting way too nitpicky than it should be for a Jeopardy! level trivia clue.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MitchO wrote:
davey wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
Why would an umpire?
Good point. Would "catcher" have been a better response? Were they prepared to accept it? Catchers aren't always at home either. But some umpires never are.

The more we discuss this, the more I think this was a really risky category to put in a TOC. There are so many ways this could have gone wrong. I'm glad none of them happened.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

bpmod wrote:My U.S. brethren always made a distinction between the Susan B Anthony dollar and a silver dollar. If they ever used the latter phrase, you knew darn well they were not speaking of the former. Could be a regional thing, though.
I'm not dogmatic about it, but I do make the distinction. A "silver dollar" doesn't have to contain actual silver. But it's larger than a quarter or a 50-cent piece. The size is a visual representation of its worth in comparison to other "silver" coins. So I play along and call it a "silver" dollar. The Susie B was a concession that this is fiat money whose value has nothing to do with the amount of precious metal it contains. At that point, there's no fiction to play along with.

That said, I agree that "silver dollar" was correctly accepted for this clue.
JonathanHenke
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JonathanHenke »

opusthepenguin wrote:Would "catcher" have been a better response? Were they prepared to accept it? Catchers aren't always at home either. But some umpires never are.
Catcher was my guess, and I would stand behind it,if it weren't for that seventh letter.
Washed-up one-time Jeopardy! contestant
January 11, 2005
pastor_dave
Contributor

Post by pastor_dave »

BobF wrote:I'd be interested, when the weekly FJ poll is done, to see if anybody chose Madison instead of Monroe. My mind instantly went to the "Era of Good Feeling" and the early part of US history, but then I had trouble deciding between the two before correctly choosing Monroe.
Yes! Glad I wasn't the only one.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

JonathanHenke wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:Would "catcher" have been a better response? Were they prepared to accept it? Catchers aren't always at home either. But some umpires never are.
Catcher was my guess, and I would stand behind it,if it weren't for that seventh letter.
Who is on first?
patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

harrumph wrote:
JonathanHenke wrote:
Who is on first?
Yes.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

davey wrote:
astrohip wrote:
MitchO wrote:Judges? Masked man comfortable at Dodger Stadium (6):

Uhh ... how about "Batman"?
I had this also, and would protest if not accepted as correct.
I'm not sure I understand this. It works only if "batman" is slang or lingo for a batter (which I've never heard) and if a batter in baseball wears a mask.
In its common meaning, why would Batman be "always at home" (the correct wording from the archive) in a baseball stadium? To state the obvious, we're talking about different kinds of bats...
You might have more of a case if it had been Globe Life Park with a response of "Ranger." Doesn't fit the "masked man" part but at least it fits always at home...
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

I have had a change of heart on Nome. I can see that as being a reasonable and cryptic response. H-Bomb, your check, bearing the signature of Karl Coryat, is in the mail.

Batman, on the other hand, makes no sense to me. If we're talking about a batter, it's two words as opposed to one, and in any event batters don't wear masks. If we're talking about the superhero, there's no reason whatsoever he would "always be at home" in Dodger Stadium.

That said, I agree that this is probably not the best category for J! The cryptic format makes clues very hard to pin down.
Sprinkles are for winners.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:I have had a change of heart on Nome. I can see that as being a reasonable and cryptic response. H-Bomb, your check, bearing the signature of Karl Coryat, is in the mail.

Batman, on the other hand, makes no sense to me. If we're talking about a batter, it's two words as opposed to one, and in any event batters don't wear masks. If we're talking about the superhero, there's no reason whatsoever he would "always be at home" in Dodger Stadium.

That said, I agree that this is probably not the best category for J! The cryptic format makes clues very hard to pin down.
You're focusing too hard on making all aspects of the clue work for one of the double meanings of the term. "Batman" is a well known masked man, and a "Bat Man" in baseball would be standing at home plate in Dodger Stadium. I see it as you ruling against "mush" because it's not *also* a place where you can get mail.

I keep saying I'm gonna stop riding this ride, and I keep finding myself back on the merry-go-round ... :?
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

I agree that this was another uncommonly well-played game, and that the WC cutoff already looks higher than I would have guessed. Kudos to all six players so far.

Sadie Hawkins Day used to be quite well known, even extending to school activities in which girls asked boys out (trust me, it used to be pretty uncommon). But now that Al Capp has been dead longer than Brennan Bushee has been alive, I can't think of the last time I heard a reference to it. So it tickled me that he of all three contestants got that one right.

I never heard or read those quotes from the inaugural address cited In the FJ clue. But such happy talk was either from Fred Rogers (who I believe was never president) or from the Era of Good Feelings just as AT said. James Monroe was pretty much an Instaget and I am 2-for-2 in FJ for the tournament. Woo-hoo!

PS My dog gets lots of mail ever since I registered him to vote. Even got summoned for jury duty once but was excused.

Great tournament so far.
molly427
Valued Contributor

Post by molly427 »

John Boy wrote:Sadie Hawkins Day used to be quite well known, even extending to school activities in which girls asked boys out (trust me, it used to be pretty uncommon). But now that Al Capp has been dead longer than Brennan Bushee has been alive, I can't think of the last time I heard a reference to it. So it tickled me that he of all three contestants got that one right.
I remember Sadie Hawkins dances from when I was in high school (1999-2003), so it could still be a thing where he is. Actually, I just remembered he's in Mass. (where I'm from) so maybe it's more common around there, although I don't know if he's from there originally and he lives in Eastern Mass. anyway.
Be that as it may, Alex, those people have never been in my kitchen.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

John Boy wrote:Sadie Hawkins Day used to be quite well known, even extending to school activities in which girls asked boys out (trust me, it used to be pretty uncommon). But now that Al Capp has been dead longer than Brennan Bushee has been alive, I can't think of the last time I heard a reference to it. So it tickled me that he of all three contestants got that one right.
I thought Sadie Hawkins Day was February 29. The 2010 film Leap Year (which I have not seen) played off this.
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

My remembrance/understanding was that it was not a holiday tied to a specific day, but a declaration of a type of event. They didn't do in my high school (1984 - 1988), but they didn't really do any "traditional" dances there either. I know it from enough old school cartoon references as "Riverdale High [or other reference here] is having a dance where the girls ask out the boys, so the day of that dance is Sadie Hawkins Day". Separate from that, I thought there was an old tradition of women "being allowed" to propose on Feb 29th.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Woppy T wrote:Image
That picture looks oddly familiar... I wonder why...

Actually, thanks for posting. I've been searching for it ever since JBoard replaced the Sony board, so that I could make a bigger avatar. (JBoard accomodates larger avatars than the Sony board did.)

Google image search was never any help in finding it because it always turned up Armie Hammer and Johnny Depp.