Tuesday, November 10, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MTGcollegestudent
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, November 10, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

The Talking Mime wrote:Only two games in and we know the wild card cutoff is over $10K. Yeah, this is shaping up to be a good tournament.

I didn't keep track, but I had a good time with these boards. FJ took a few seconds, but I managed to connect the dots.

Matt returns tomorrow. Can't wait to see him back in action. #BOOM
Oh gosh...this'll be a bloodbath to see how Matt will circle his competitors really fast and take full control. We'll just have to tune in to see.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MTGcollegestudent wrote: It questions me if the wildcard slots would already be filled in faster than ever, leaving the others far behind.
Another one of your fascinating sentences that makes me smile with each reading.

Anyway, never in the history of the TOC have all four wildcards come from the first two quarterfinal matches. Greg will have to do something that has not happened yet.
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

MarkBarrett wrote:
MTGcollegestudent wrote: It questions me if the wildcard slots would already be filled in faster than ever, leaving the others far behind.
Another one of your fascinating sentences that makes me smile with each reading.

Anyway, never in the history of the TOC have all four wildcards come from the first two quarterfinal matches. Greg will have to do something that has not happened yet.
That's the thing...all Greg can hope for is if the others earn less than what he has, and...if at least anything, hope a competitor goes in the red and not qualify.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MTGcollegestudent wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:

That's the thing...all Greg can hope for is if the others earn less than what he has, and...if at least anything, hope a competitor goes in the red and not qualify.
One more thing about Greg: If he goes out early he would be the first exactly 7x winner not to make at least the semis.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $32,600
44 R/3 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: Instaget
LT: Guthrie (DD), umpire

This match looked on paper to be the hardest of the QFs to predict, and that parity was borne out in the scores. Here's to hoping that Kristin's score is enough to get her a wild card berth.

I couldn't have told you "Era of Good Feelings = Monroe" a few months ago, but, luckily, that's a Pavlov that has stuck. Speaking of Pavlovs, I too fell for the "obscure shoelace-related term = aglet" false Pavlov.
hbomb1947 wrote:
davey wrote:
The unexpected reading is what makes it a "cryptic" clue. Brennan got it with no problem, as did I and many others, I'm sure.
hbomb1947 wrote:There were no specific instructions or parameters given for the category --
davey wrote:Except its name.
Its name doesn't really convey any useful information about the meaning of "cryptic" in the context of the category.
"Cryptic crossword clues" are a thing, though. "Nome" doesn't fit as a response.
MitchO wrote:Honestly, I gotta feel like "Batman" works better than "batboy" (yours is more literal to a term for the stadium, mine is an actual name of a character with a mask), but the thing that threw me off more than anything else was the specific inclusion of Dodger Stadium. Part of why I zoned in on "Batman" was a fractured memory of an old Don Mattingly (until recently, the manager of the Dodgers, and I wasn't sure how that timeline meshed with the taping of the episode) poster where I thought they called him "Bat Man"; turns out I was misremembering this one : (pic)
Back in 2003, the Dodgers picked up Robin Ventura at the trade deadline, giving rise to one of my all-time favorite newspaper headlines:
DODGERS NEED BAT MAN, GET ROBIN
Sprinkles are for winners.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

MarkBarrett wrote:Anyway, never in the history of the TOC have all four wildcards come from the first two quarterfinal matches. Greg will have to do something that has not happened yet.
It did happen in the 2013 College Championship, so it's not impossible.

I have 65 complete QF sets (might be missing a few with subsequent additions) and I see only 9 times where all four WCs have come from just two games.

1988 TOC (1, 3)
1990 TOC (2, 5)
2004 TOC (2, 4)
2013 TOC (1, 4)
1998 CC (1, 3)
2004 CC (1, 4)
2013 CC (1, 2)
2007 Teen Summer (1, 5)
2011 Teachers (1, 3)

In addition there were 17 times when all four WCs came from different games.
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
chmmr
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by chmmr »

The problem with Cryptic Crosswords as a J! category, and I can say this as a Cryptic Crossword aficianado, is that there is a broad variety of clues that can be used in a Cryptic Crossword. I have seen clues where the answers have been:

anagrams of a word (or multiple words) in the clue
hidden within two words of the clue (ie, stamen given first amendment)
derived from some sort of wordplay
derived from what could have been a plain, regular crossword clue

And that's just in the Globe and Mail! Many newspapers have a different syndicate distributing their Cryptic Crossword. There is a TON of variation, and I wouldn't be surprised if the judges rulings were lax on that category.
Leaper
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Leaper »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Also, I learned cryptic crosswords differently. I thought they were two-part clues like "Tragic arrangement in A-flat" (5), where both "tragic" and "arrangement in A-flat" are hinting toward
Spoiler
fatal, as "tragic" is the more direct half of the clue, and "arrangement in A-flat" indicates that the word is an anagram of "A-flat"
At least that's what Games taught this amateur cruciverablist (which is too unwieldy to be a good name for a rock band).
You are absolutely correct (chmmr apparently has experience with British cryptics, in which the "rules" are even looser than American versions). That's what I would've expected, but obviously, it would've been too obscure and hard to figure out in limited time even for most ToC players.

And am I the only one who remembered Monroe/Era of Good Feelings from that one movie parody on The Critic?
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

Rafferty Barnes wrote:Wow, has a QF ever been this close before?
In the 1999-B Teen Tournament quarterfinal game 1, third place's pre-FJ score was 94.7% of first's (compared to 92.3% for tonight's game). Interestingly, the winner's semifinal match was also incredibly close (100% : 100% : 94.1%).
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Wow, congrats to Brennan on keeping his perfect FJ streak alive.

Looks like Greg will be leaving this week. If the first two games are any indication, then there's a huge chance that the $11500 he put up will be beat, and soon.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

I did much better with the material on Tuesday's show than on Monday's. In J!, 14 R, 1 W (I also thought comet for Neptune's outer moon)...and there were a couple I wasn't sure about but would have gotten correct had I tried it (Purdue...Tulsa). I had 6800 after the J! round.

In DJ!, 7 R...1 W. I also thought Batman for the masked man at Dodgers Stadium; Brennan beat me to patdown in the cryptic crosswords category and Kristin beat me to Margaret Sanger in the Feminists category. I did answer both of the Daily Doubles correctly. I completely struck out about the "Dante's Divine Comedy" category and I need to brush up my knowledge of world rivers!

BTW...I have a Susan B. Anthony dollar coin taped to a piece of cardboard my long-deceased grandmother gave me in 1979 but did not know the coin was ever called a "Susie B"; I do remember controversy over the coin back in the day because people were trying (accidently) to use them as quarters in vending machines.

For FJ...I said Eisenhower; America was feeling good about itself in the post-WWII years but obviously, I didn't go back far enough!

Great game by all the players. I know Kristin probably wishes she had wagered more than 200 on the Elizabeth Stanton DD.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Leaper wrote:(chmmr apparently has experience with British cryptics, in which the "rules" are even looser than American versions).
Hmmm.... I cannot see where you came up with that. I see no mention of anything British in his post.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:
davey wrote:
The unexpected reading is what makes it a "cryptic" clue. Brennan got it with no problem, as did I and many others, I'm sure.
hbomb1947 wrote:There were no specific instructions or parameters given for the category --
davey wrote:Except its name.
Its name doesn't really convey any useful information about the meaning of "cryptic" in the context of the category.
"Cryptic crossword clues" are a thing, though. "Nome" doesn't fit as a response.
You can' just assert without a reason that "Nome" doesn't fit. Why doesn't it fit?

And regardless of whether "cryptic crossword clues" are a "thing" in the outside world, J! categories need to be self-contained. They can't assume that every contestant will be a cruciverbalist. CCC is not such an ingrained category like "rhyme time" that the contestants can be expected to know the rules and expectations of the category without an explanation or reminder from Alex. Otherwise, the writers are just asking for trouble. This is only the second time that "cryptic crossword clues" has been used as a J! category; the first time was in 2014 in the BoTD.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?g ... +crossword

I note that the $1200 clue in that category was "book that settles accounts," and the response was "ledger." What was "cryptic" about that? How was it any less straightforward than Nome in Tuesday night's category, for example?
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

hbomb1947 wrote:[On the umpire clue, "Batman" doesn't really work. Why would a superhero be especially comfortable in a baseball stadium?
Baseball bat.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I got a chuckle from the FJ in the game Mark linked.
astrohip
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by astrohip »

MitchO wrote:Judges? Masked man comfortable at Dodger Stadium (6):

Uhh ... how about "Batman"?
I had this also, and would protest if not accepted as correct.

As others have mentioned, this category, far more than most others, leaves itself open to controversy, simply due to the fact that there is no hard and fast correct answer.
BobF

Post by BobF »

I'd be interested, when the weekly FJ poll is done, to see if anybody chose Madison instead of Monroe. My mind instantly went to the "Era of Good Feeling" and the early part of US history, but then I had trouble deciding between the two before correctly choosing Monroe.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
JillyJill
2016 Teachers Tournament

Post by JillyJill »

Great matchup with wonderful players.

I took "Intro to Feminist Studies" in college (a million years ago, when people weren't afraid to be called feminists) so I ran that category. When I saw the moons one, I cursed under my breath because it's a "You Gotta Know" page from NAQT that I have not learned yet. Sigh. So much to know. I printed out a binder of all the "You Gotta Know"s and sadly, still have much to memorize.

I also said aglet.

I got "Guthrie" from the TOM.

Overall I felt that Tuesday's boards were more academically oriented than Monday's. The buzzer competition was fierce as well.

Congrats to Brennan and my fingers are crossed for my TCONA friend Kristin!

Jill
davey

Post by davey »

astrohip wrote:
MitchO wrote:Judges? Masked man comfortable at Dodger Stadium (6):

Uhh ... how about "Batman"?
I had this also, and would protest if not accepted as correct.
I'm not sure I understand this. It works only if "batman" is slang or lingo for a batter (which I've never heard) and if a batter in baseball wears a mask.
In its common meaning, why would Batman be "always at home" (the correct wording from the archive) in a baseball stadium? To state the obvious, we're talking about different kinds of bats...
You might have more of a case if it had been Globe Life Park with a response of "Ranger." Doesn't fit the "masked man" part but at least it fits always at home...
Last edited by davey on Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

hbomb1947 wrote:On the umpire clue, "Batman" doesn't really work. Why would a superhero be especially comfortable in a baseball stadium?
Why would an umpire?