Eligibility of Canadians for Jeopardy Online Test 2016

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: Eligibility of Canadians for Jeopardy Online Test 2016

Post by dhkendall »

rouquinne wrote:The exact wording given is:

"At this time we are precluded from accepting registration information from Canadian residents. We are currently evaluating this matter."

There is widespread speculation that this is due to the previous government's online privacy act, which, unfortunately, is still in effect. But it's also a patently false assertion.

All of us - no matter where we live - provide our registration information to Sony voluntarily.

Since I am an officer of the court in Canada, and I am sworn and bound to uphold the law, I will be a good citizen and abide by the rules, as much as I don't like them!

:(
Sounds like a good idea, hopefully I'll get The Call soon so that I can lean a bit on TPTB when I'm there, I'd love to see more Canadians on, especially you - I haven't posted on Facebook about the test like I normally do because most of my friends that would otherwise be unaware of the test and would be interested in it are Canadian.

(Perhaps their lack of Canadians in the upcoming pool will give those already in the pool like myself and Andy and my BC friend who will be auditioning in Seattle soon greater chance to be called to make up for it)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
rouquinne
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by rouquinne »

^^^You're a good friend, Dave!

:)
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

dhkendall wrote:

"At this time we are precluded from accepting registration information from Canadian residents. We are currently evaluating this matter."

There is widespread speculation that this is due to the previous government's online privacy act, which, unfortunately, is still in effect. But it's also a patently false assertion.

All of us - no matter where we live - provide our registration information to Sony voluntarily.

Since I am an officer of the court in Canada, and I am sworn and bound to uphold the law, I will be a good citizen and abide by the rules, as much as I don't like them!

Sounds like a good idea, hopefully I'll get The Call soon so that I can lean a bit on TPTB when I'm there, I'd love to see more Canadians on, especially you - I haven't posted on Facebook about the test like I normally do because most of my friends that would otherwise be unaware of the test and would be interested in it are Canadian.

(Perhaps their lack of Canadians in the upcoming pool will give those already in the pool like myself and Andy and my BC friend who will be auditioning in Seattle soon greater chance to be called to make up for it)
I'm not Canadian, but if I'm so fortunate as to get The Call in this cycle and the issue hasn't been resolved by then, I'll gently bring it up with TPTB. There are a lot of Canadians who would make good contestants, and DHK, you are unquestionably one of them. And I think that geographical diversity is good for the show, so long as they choose one particular attorney and worldwide karaoke singer who lives in overrepresented NYC. :D
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

hbomb1947 wrote:
dhkendall wrote:

I'm not Canadian, but if I'm so fortunate as to get The Call in this cycle and the issue hasn't been resolved by then, I'll gently bring it up with TPTB. There are a lot of Canadians who would make good contestants, and DHK, you are unquestionably one of them. And I think that geographical diversity is good for the show, so long as they choose one particular attorney and worldwide karaoke singer who lives in overrepresented NYC. :D
Keep in mind, hbomb, this doesn't affect me personally (I've been assured of that), I could still get The Call any minute now (checks messages - damn, no luck) as could Andy Saunders (another Canadian in the pool) or even my BC friend who isn't technically in the pool yet as his audition is next month), it only affects Canadians for the foreseeable future starting with this test, which disappoints me for rouquinne's sake (and the sale of future Canadians. I hope once it's cleared up they have a special test just for them.)

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

dhkendall wrote: (Perhaps their lack of Canadians in the upcoming pool will give those already in the pool like myself and Andy and my BC friend who will be auditioning in Seattle soon greater chance to be called to make up for it)
It does feel like they've had more Canadians this season, but maybe I'm just noticing it more because of the new rule.
mennoknight
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mennoknight »

The Canadians they let on last year were some real ne'er do wells. I hope they keep that kind of riff raff out from now on.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

There were definitely more Canadians on in the past year (and some, like cmp146 who were born Americans but live in Canada). However, the show still favours (see that?) Americans: very few auditions in Canada, and far fewer Canadians than would be included if we were on the show in proportion to our population.

Jeopardy has every right to do this- I'm sure the huge majority of syndication fees come from the US. I know the real reason Canadians are not heavily represented on the show. I just wish these extra artificial barriers weren't put in our way. I know I can make good tv if I get my shot. Let me show you!
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

boson wrote:...However, the show still favours (see that?) Americans: very few auditions in Canada, and far fewer Canadians than would be included if we were on the show in proportion to our population....
Canadian is the new black.
OCSam
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

OrangeSAM wrote:
boson wrote:...However, the show still favours (see that?) Americans: very few auditions in Canada, and far fewer Canadians than would be included if we were on the show in proportion to our population....
Great post/username combo.

OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

dhkendall wrote:
OrangeSAM wrote:
Great post/username combo.
Thx. It must have been subconscious because that connection wasn't in my head!
OCSam
rouquinne
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by rouquinne »

mennoknight wrote:The Canadians they let on last year were some real ne'er do wells. I hope they keep that kind of riff raff out from now on.
You evil man - get over here so I can smack you around!!

;)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

mennoknight wrote:The Canadians they let on last year were some real ne'er do wells. I hope they keep that kind of riff raff out from now on.
Hey! I still want to get on, you know!

Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

Someone from the local paper did manage to get some sort of official response about the eligibility question:

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-new ... pardy-alex

A publicist for the show was unable to provide a detailed explanation as to what has changed with Canadian participation in Jeopardy!, but hinted the country’s new anti-spam legislation, in effect since mid-2014, may be a factor.

“As international laws governing how information is shared over the internet are ever-changing and complex, we are currently investigating how we can accept registrations from potential Canadian contestants,” reads an email response from Alison Shapiro.

“The Jeopardy! Adult, Teen, and College tests have already taken place this year, and we are making every effort to find a solution before the next round of testing is available.”

#ThanksHarper
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

http://globalnews.ca/news/2528627/canad ... -jeopardy/

At least this article confirms that there will be Canadians on in the coming weeks, including one on Monday, which I was starting to wonder about. Sadly none of them are "an information services worker from Winnipeg, Manitoba". (Well, ok, there's a chance it could be but none are me is what I'm saying. I'm saying I haven't got The Call yet. You won't be seeing me on the show at least in the next few weeks is what I'm saying here. Just so I'm clear.)

MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

I'll let you in on a little secret. We are a nation of ne'er do wells and riff raff.

You: George Washington - surveyor, military leader, businessman
We: John A. MacDonald - drunk

You: FDR - statesman, philanthropist
We: MacKenzie King - lunatic

etc.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MDaunt wrote:
I'll let you in on a little secret. We are a nation of ne'er do wells and riff raff.

etc.
Yeah, but that was then!

You: Justin Trudeau
We: ...Donald Trump?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

Volante wrote:
MDaunt wrote:

etc.
Yeah, but that was then!

Too soon to tell with Justin, but his mother was a drunk and a lunatic. And Trump is nobody yet.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Volante wrote:
MDaunt wrote:

etc.
Yeah, but that was then!

Then again:
You: Barack Obama
We: Rob Ford

Shaymin
Valued Contributor

Post by Shaymin »

The CBC (former Canadian J! home) is reporting the story as well, but it's nothing we don't already know.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Shaymin wrote:The CBC (former Canadian J! home) is reporting the story as well, but it's nothing we don't already know.
This is the bottom line of the problem: how many Canadian stations carry Jeopardy? I get mine from either a US channel (I have a choice of several: 2 CBS and one NBC) or from a very obscure Christian television network way up in the cable numbers (http://www.yestv.com/). If J! was getting lots of revenue from Canada, you can bet they would try hard to keep the syndicating stations happy by having local contestants. As it is, there isn't a huge impetus to get Canadians on.

Does anyone know if Canadians watching a us channel is counted by the stations/advertisers/Neilsen? If not, then there is (almost) no financial incentive to put us on.

I was always annoyed when CBC was carrying Jeopardy: despite having (likely) the single largest audience of any entity carrying the show, they did nothing to increase the number of Canadians. We've had more on the show since they stopped. CBC is always leery of buying shows from the US - if they are too successful, then they are accused of just acting like the private networks, so why should our tax dollars subsidize them?