2016 Current Events Study Guide

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Re: 2016 Current Events Study Guide

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

Hara Arena, the site of Wayne Gretzky's first professional hockey game, is officially closed now. It's located in Trotwood, Ohio, a suburb of Dayton.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

NYPD Commish Bill Bratton to resign
http://abcnews.go.com/US/nypd-commissio ... d=41067533

ExxonMobil knocked out of the top 5 largest companies in the US list. Amazon and Facebook pushed it from 4th to 6th.
The top five, in order, are now: Apple, Alphabet (nee Google), Microsoft, Amazon, Facebook
http://gizmodo.com/the-five-biggest-com ... 1784701651
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Blue Lion »

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child was released this past weekend. It is the rehearsal script of the London stage play of the same name, and not a novelized version of that play. The story is set 19 years after the end of the original Harry Potter series; it follows Harry Potter, now working for the Ministry of Magic, and his younger son Albus Severus Potter.

Fair warning: The Internet abounds with plot spoilers.
Volante

Post by Volante »

Every so often J! trots out the 'Name the team/city where this stadium is' category. So...

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-sport ... SKCN10E1YC
The Broncos have gotten the naming rights back from Sports Authority after they filed bankruptcy and were unable to find a buyer.
"Sports Authority Field at Mile High" will likely not be around come the start of the new season.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Volante wrote:Every so often J! trots out the 'Name the team/city where this stadium is' category. So...

The Broncos have gotten the naming rights back from Sports Authority after they filed bankruptcy and were unable to find a buyer.
"Sports Authority Field at Mile High" will likely not be around come the start of the new season.
Am I the only one hoping a marijuana company gets this sponsorship?
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

triviawayne wrote:
Volante wrote:Every so often J! trots out the 'Name the team/city where this stadium is' category. So...

Doesn't Mile High Stadium already have that covered? :mrgreen:
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Woof wrote:
triviawayne wrote:

Uh, yeah, that was the joke
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

triviawayne wrote:
Woof wrote:
triviawayne wrote:

I thought your joke was related to Colorado law.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Ava DuVernay, who directed Selma, will direct the film adaptation of Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time, to be released next year. DuVernay will become the first woman of color to direct a live-action film with a budget of more than $100 million.

A Wrinkle in Time has come up multiple times in Jeopardy.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

triviawayne wrote:
Woof wrote:
triviawayne wrote:

Yeah, as soon as I hit the Submit button, I realized that you'd probably meant that, but as Sg said I'd thought initially that you were just referencing the law. Well played, Wayne.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Woof wrote:
triviawayne wrote:
Woof wrote:
triviawayne wrote:

Yeah, as soon as I hit the Submit button, I realized that you'd probably meant that, but as Sg said I'd thought initially that you were just referencing the law. Well played, Wayne.
Somehow I think just like cigarette companies, the law wouldn't allow for that
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Volante wrote:
ExxonMobil knocked out of the top 5 largest companies in the US list. Amazon and Facebook pushed it from 4th to 6th.
The top five, in order, are now: Apple, Alphabet (nee Google), Microsoft, Amazon, Facebook
http://gizmodo.com/the-five-biggest-com ... 1784701651
Just to clarify: this ranking of the "largest companies" relies on the metric of market capitalization. Other rankings exist that sort companies by criteria like revenue or number of employees, and those lists look quite different. For example, if you go by either revenue or employee count, Walmart is the largest U.S. company (and indeed, the largest company in the world).
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
lbligh
Valued Contributor

Post by lbligh »

Isn't Apple technically based in Ireland now, anyway?
Auditioned most recently via Zoom, June 2023
Strengths: Literature, History, Classical Music
Insurmountable weaknesses: Sports, Pop Music, Anagrams

"It's easy if you know it, it's hard if you don't."
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

lbligh wrote:Isn't Apple technically based in Ireland now, anyway?
Howso?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Volante

Post by Volante »

dhkendall wrote:
lbligh wrote:Isn't Apple technically based in Ireland now, anyway?
Howso?
In a very oversimplified sentence: No; Apple, Ireland, simply owns the IP.
For more background:
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014 ... ax-breaks/
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014 ... s-chagrin/
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

Brazilian distance runner Vanderlei de Lima, who finished third in the 2004 Olympic marathon after being impeded by a defrocked priest while leading the race, lights the cauldron to open the Games of the XXXI Olympiad in Rio de Janeiro.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Non-Olympics sports news:

Alex Rodriguez of the New York Yankees will play his final game on Friday. He currently has 696 home runs, and will finish fourth on the all-time list behind Barry Bonds, Hank Aaron, and Babe Ruth.

Jim Furyk shot a final-round 58 in the Travelers Championship. It is the lowest-ever round recorded in a PGA Tour event. Furyk is one of six players to share the old record of 59.

And one non-sports item: David Huddleston, who played the millionaire Jeffrey Lebowski in The Big Lebowski, died at age 85. This film has come up on Jeopardy.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Blue Lion wrote:Alex Rodriguez of the New York Yankees will play his final game on Friday. He currently has 696 home runs, and will allegedly finish fourth on the all-time list behind Barry Bonds, Hank Aaron, and Babe Ruth.
Fixed that for you.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

alietr wrote:
Blue Lion wrote:Alex Rodriguez of the New York Yankees will play his final game on Friday. He currently has 696 home runs, and will allegedly finish fourth on the all-time list behind Barry Bonds, Hank Aaron, and Babe Ruth.
Fixed that for you.
I was tempted to get snarky and refer to the home runs leader as Barry Bonds*.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Meh. Bonds and Rodriguez did nothing different than most of the pitchers they faced off against. Aaron, like most players in his era, "popped greenies" like it was candy, aka heavy amphetamine usage.

There weren't any PEDs in Babe Ruth's era, true, and the sport wasn't as big or professional, but there were no shortage of corked bats, fixed games (or World Series), etc.

This idea that high-level sports have ever been clean, or that ruthless competitors won't do anything and everything to win, is very naive.

Personally, I think Rodriguez being banned was nothing more than a silly PR move by the league.