2016 Current Events Study Guide

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

9021amyers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: 2016 Current Events Study Guide

Post by 9021amyers »

All-Star pitcher Jose Fernandez of the Miami Marlins dies aged 24, in a boat accident.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

In the last regular-season broadcast of Vin Scully's legendary 67-year career, the Los Angeles Dodgers clinched their fourth straight National League West Division title with a 4-3 victory over the Colorado Rockies. The Dodgers tied the game on a home run in the bottom of the ninth by presumptive NL Rookie of the Year Corey Seager and then won it in walk-off fashion in the tenth with another homer by former Rockie Charlie Culberson.
Sprinkles are for winners.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:In the last regular-season broadcast of Vin Scully's legendary 67-year career, the Los Angeles Dodgers clinched their fourth straight National League West Division title with a 4-3 victory over the Colorado Rockies. The Dodgers tied the game on a home run in the bottom of the ninth by presumptive NL Rookie of the Year Corey Seager and then won it in walk-off fashion in the tenth with another homer by former Rockie Charlie Culberson.
Today was Vin Scully's last game to call at Dodger Stadium. He will be behind the mike at AT&T Park next Sunday, Oct. 2nd and that will be his last game.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Brangelina is no more; Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie are divorcing.

China's first space station, Tiangong-1, will uncontrollably descend into the atmosphere and will crash on earth in late 2017.
Expect a Skylab reference if they use this one.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Volante

Post by Volante »

Ooh, this one I like from a trivia standpoint:

Obama has nominated Jeffrey DeLaurentis to be our first ambassador to Cuba in 55 years.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-37491380
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
earendel

Post by earendel »

Shimon Perez, former president and prime minister of Israel, dies at age 93.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

earendel wrote:Shimon Perez, former president and prime minister of Israel, dies at age 93.
Not that it makes a difference for Jeopardy pronunciation purposes, but it's always spelled "Peres". And the relevant portion is that he had several terms as prime minister. President is a purely ceremonial, irrelevant post in Israel.
Volante

Post by Volante »

IronNeck wrote:
earendel wrote:Shimon Perez, former president and prime minister of Israel, dies at age 93.
Not that it makes a difference for Jeopardy pronunciation purposes, but it's always spelled "Peres". And the relevant portion is that he had several terms as prime minister. President is a purely ceremonial, irrelevant post in Israel.
Not always. https://www.google.com/search?q=shimon+ ... imon+peres

Pretty sure if I dug up my old World Almanacs from the 90s they'd say 'Perez' too since that's how I remember it in print and that's the only place I would've found it.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

IronNeck wrote:
It was relevant in the "Naming the First President" category at the last ToC.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote:
IronNeck wrote:
It was relevant in the "Naming the First President" category at the last ToC.
Wow, right you are. Very surprised they asked for it, although it was a bottom-row clue in a ToC game.
Volante

Post by Volante »

It's Nobel week! Sorta like pledge week, except the average age of drunken revelers is 3-4 times as high.

Up first, Physiology or Medicine
http://gizmodo.com/nobel-prize-awarded- ... 1787349898
This year’s Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine has been awarded to Japan’s Yoshinori Ohsumi for furthering our understanding of autophagy, the biological process wherein the body eats some of itself in order to survive.
I can see autophagy being a bottom row ask.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Volante wrote:It's Nobel week! Sorta like pledge week, except the average age of drunken revelers is 3-4 times as high.

Up first, Physiology or Medicine
http://gizmodo.com/nobel-prize-awarded- ... 1787349898
This year’s Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine has been awarded to Japan’s Yoshinori Ohsumi for furthering our understanding of autophagy, the biological process wherein the body eats some of itself in order to survive.
I can see autophagy being a bottom row ask.
One minute ago I had never heard of autophagy, so my knowledge of it has been furthered. A well-deserved Nobel.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

In October 2015, Kersti Kaljulaid became the first woman elected president of this Baltic state
Spoiler
What is Estonia?
Volante

Post by Volante »

The third most asked about Nobel on J!, Physics!

Short post, this is going to be edited when Ars Technica releases their summary because I'm not a fan of Reuters' writeup.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-nobel ... SKCN1240VO
Three British-born scientists won the 2016 Nobel Prize in Physics on Tuesday for revealing unusual states of matter, leading to advances in electronics and potentially helping work on future quantum computers.
The big takeaway is gravitational waves did -not- win.
lbligh
Valued Contributor

Post by lbligh »

The winners did their research decades ago. The Nobels often have significant lag time until discoveries prove their value.
Auditioned most recently via Zoom, June 2023
Strengths: Literature, History, Classical Music
Insurmountable weaknesses: Sports, Pop Music, Anagrams

"It's easy if you know it, it's hard if you don't."
Volante

Post by Volante »

lbligh wrote:The winners did their research decades ago. The Nobels often have significant lag time until discoveries prove their value.
Gravitational waves would be like the Higgs boson. Both were predicted decades ago but only recently has technology allowed us to prove their existence.

Further research into this, it seems g-waves were already kinda Nobelled back in 93.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hulse-Taylor_binary
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

A couple of deaths worth noting:

Curtis Hanson, age 71. Director. His films include The Hand That Rocks the Cradle (1992), L.A. Confidential (1997), Wonder Boys (2000), and 8 Mile (2002).
Gloria Naylor, age 66. Author. Best known as the author of The Women of Brewster Place (1982), which follows the lives of seven African-American women.

And a general question to the group: Should we continue with this thread since it's still calendar year 2016 or should we start a new thread after this week's online tests? I'm on the fence.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Volante wrote:The third most asked about Nobel on J!, Physics!

Short post, this is going to be edited when Ars Technica releases their summary because I'm not a fan of Reuters' writeup.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-nobel ... SKCN1240VO
Three British-born scientists won the 2016 Nobel Prize in Physics on Tuesday for revealing unusual states of matter, leading to advances in electronics and potentially helping work on future quantum computers.
The big takeaway is gravitational waves did -not- win.
I always send people to read the citation and popular information on the Nobel prize web site: https://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes ... pular.html

This one is (relatively) close to my expertise: the winners study theories which explain the behaviour of materials where topology is important: phase transitions in magnetic and superconducting materials, mostly. In this case topology means that some 2-dimensional materials have circulating current or magnetic fields, and their behaviour leads to weird and wonderful quantum mechanical effects at low temperature.

David Thouless (one of the three winners) actually worked here as a professor in the physics department at Queen's university in the 1970s before moving on to greener pastures. After Art McDonald won the prize last year, that means two laureates in a row were professors here! Take that Harvard, Cambridge and Stanford!
Volante

Post by Volante »

Blue Lion wrote: And a general question to the group: Should we continue with this thread since it's still calendar year 2016 or should we start a new thread after this week's online tests? I'm on the fence.
I figure calendar year.
boson wrote: I always send people to read the citation and popular information on the Nobel prize web site: https://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes ... pular.html
With this one, I've been needing multiple sources. Different writeups result in different explanations of the same phenomenon, making it more likely that one of them will click. And as promised, the Ars link... http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/10/ ... ansitions/
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Volante wrote:
boson wrote: I always send people to read the citation and popular information on the Nobel prize web site: https://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes ... pular.html
With this one, I've been needing multiple sources. Different writeups result in different explanations of the same phenomenon, making it more likely that one of them will click. And as promised, the Ars link... http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/10/ ... ansitions/
Yup - this is a tough one to explain : the important thing about it is that a vortex (a whirlpool of electric current or magnetic field) is topologically different than other sorts of systems : you can't change gradually from a system with no vortex to one containing a vortex. This difference helps to explain the behaviour of some exotic materials, and the transition as they are cooled to very low temperature. Unlike some recent prizes, this one is subtle and needs good analogies to be explained.