Thursday, February 4, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: Thursday, February 4, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by dhkendall »

grindcore wrote:
dhkendall wrote:WLT Michelle Obama on TALL $200, other than "5'11" and "lawyer"? Are we supposed to know how tall Ms. Obama is? (I said Clinton, since she was also a lawyer and the first lawyer first lady I could think of, but I"m sure there's a few more)

Will check the "I had the extra "the" in my response" box on the weekly poll - TBH, I didn't know the "the" was incorrect!
Hilary is a lot of things but she sure ain't 5'11''.
You have a point, but how am I supposed to know Michelle Obama is on the tall side? All the pictures I can picture with her, she's not really standing where there's any frame of reference to show she is indeed a tall person.

Oh, another beef I had with the TALL category, in "Jim Carrey's native Canada", we almost never, especially in casual conversation, use metric for personal measurements like height and weight. I am 6'3", 200 lbs and, like most of you reading this, I have no idea what that is in metric. (I remember back in the early 90s I was chatting online with a German girl when I mentioned my height when I said that I was tall, and she had no idea what that was in her mind, I had to go grab a metric tape measure, measure myself fresh, and report back.) Canada is an odd mix: officially metric, and measurements such as speed limits, gas purchases, and temperature and weather forecasts are metric (in km/h, litres (and 100km/l instead of mpg for fuel efficiency), and Celsius respectively), but in ordinary day to day use we use imperial for things like personal measurements such as height and weight. Official things seem to be in metric regardless, when my kids see the doctor their height and weight is taken in metric, and their vitals are measured in metric when they are born but announced to new parents in imperial. My driver's license says I am 191 cm. Cooking temperatures are usually in Fahrenheit and measurements are usually in imperial (1/4 cup, etc.), but I do see metric equivalents printed on the boxes of the food (and our stove has dual systems on the temperature dial, but the imperial is more prominent.) We also have metric measuring spoons, with their rough imperial equivalent written on them as well (we also have a pure imperial set, which is more commonly found here). Plus, I've noticed urban Canadians tend to use metric for distances in every day conversation, while rural ones tend to use Imperial (or time (as in "it's an hour away" instead of "it's 60 miles away")), perhaps because the grid roads are laid out in miles, before Metrication was introduced.

In short, if the US ever officially metricates I think in time the usage will wind up being like Canada's
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

mfc248 wrote:$22,222 seemed familiar - did he just like the number, or was it an homage to Vermonter?
Combined with his Daily Double wager, which I like to imagine came with a knowing wink, Gus managed to secure the fealty of gurus around the world.

Speaking of which, my last Daily Double wager was $4,000 on a chemistry category. At least Gus has a shot at another. <insert tearful emoji>
This Is Kirk! wrote:
aeq5006 wrote:
grindcore wrote:Okay, holy shit. Alex giving away the berkelium DD with the little factoid after californium is a new low. I would be livid if I were Sarah or Hannah.
I think the writers deserve some of the blame, writing a DD clue so similar to the previous one. "Here's an element that was discovered out West!" "Here's another one discovered out West!"
I don't see why this deserves any blame. They often write categories where the lesser value clues help you with the larger value clues. Someone bouncing might not get this hint, and that's why they do it.
In retrospect, it would have been much better as a standalone clue. Hard for the writers to foresee a Stanford kid getting it, and thus the natural banter that might ensue. (There's a UC-Berkeley contestant on tomorrow.)

The writers did miss an opportunity for a category of element names that "zoom in": Tellurium > Americium > Californium > Berkelium > Lawrencium.
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
ACW
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by ACW »

OSXpert wrote:Hannah's 14,400 beats the other two 14,400 in the wildcard, which is pretty interesting.
Wait, how are wildcard ties broken?
mpahu
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mpahu »

ACW wrote:
OSXpert wrote:Hannah's 14,400 beats the other two 14,400 in the wildcard, which is pretty interesting.
Wait, how are wildcard ties broken?
Ties are broken by score after the Double Jeopardy round, and if those are even, then by scores after the Jeopardy round. Hannah had 7400 after DJ, while the others had 7200 after DJ. Kate had 3200 vs 2600 after Jeopardy to break the other tie.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

dhkendall wrote:Oh, another beef I had with the TALL category, in "Jim Carrey's native Canada", we almost never, especially in casual conversation, use metric for personal measurements like height and weight. I am 6'3", 200 lbs and, like most of you reading this, I have no idea what that is in metric. (I remember back in the early 90s I was chatting online with a German girl when I mentioned my height when I said that I was tall, and she had no idea what that was in her mind, I had to go grab a metric tape measure, measure myself fresh, and report back.) Canada is an odd mix: officially metric, and measurements such as speed limits, gas purchases, and temperature and weather forecasts are metric (in km/h, litres (and 100km/l instead of mpg for fuel efficiency), and Celsius respectively), but in ordinary day to day use we use imperial for things like personal measurements such as height and weight. Official things seem to be in metric regardless, when my kids see the doctor their height and weight is taken in metric, and their vitals are measured in metric when they are born but announced to new parents in imperial. My driver's license says I am 191 cm. Cooking temperatures are usually in Fahrenheit and measurements are usually in imperial (1/4 cup, etc.), but I do see metric equivalents printed on the boxes of the food (and our stove has dual systems on the temperature dial, but the imperial is more prominent.) We also have metric measuring spoons, with their rough imperial equivalent written on them as well (we also have a pure imperial set, which is more commonly found here). Plus, I've noticed urban Canadians tend to use metric for distances in every day conversation, while rural ones tend to use Imperial (or time (as in "it's an hour away" instead of "it's 60 miles away")), perhaps because the grid roads are laid out in miles, before Metrication was introduced.

In short, if the US ever officially metricates I think in time the usage will wind up being like Canada's
Actually, the clue referred to that guy's height in meters. We do not measure anything in meters in Canada, although we use meters to measure some things. And most cooking implements are not in Imperial measure, but more likely U.S. measure.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

dhkendall wrote:WLT Michelle Obama on TALL $200, other than "5'11" and "lawyer"? Are we supposed to know how tall Ms. Obama is?
I agree that this clue was much less of a giveaway than others near the top of the board.

I guessed Michelle Obama because: (1) I thought a First Lady with a professional qualification of her own would be likely to be a more recent one, (2) she looks fairly tall in photographs where she is next to her husband, who I believe is about 6'1" or 6'2", and (3) I happened to know that her brother is a basketball coach (which doesn't prove anything, but does associate her with tallness in my head).

I guess there's also a certain element of "If they're asking, and if it's near the top of the board, then we're expected to know it, so maybe it's the First Lady that we're most likely to have seen photographs of recently."
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

bpmod wrote:We do not measure anything in meters in Canada, although we use meters to measure some things.
Huh?

Centimeters, kilometers, millimeters are all metric units of length, related to the meter. 1 cm = .01 meter. 1 mm = .001 meter. 1 km = 1000 meters. Stating someone's height as 1.89 meters is the same as 189 cm.

0.0254 m worm, measuring the marigold

Walk 1609 meters for a Camel

Not a shirt on my back, not a penny to my name, I'm 804,672 meters from my home
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I probably would have botched pronouncing Kotel ha Ma'aravi, but you can see it here live:

http://english.thekotel.org/cameras.asp
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

skullturf wrote:
dhkendall wrote:WLT Michelle Obama on TALL $200, other than "5'11" and "lawyer"? Are we supposed to know how tall Ms. Obama is?
I agree that this clue was much less of a giveaway than others near the top of the board.

I guessed Michelle Obama because: (1) I thought a First Lady with a professional qualification of her own would be likely to be a more recent one, (2) she looks fairly tall in photographs where she is next to her husband, who I believe is about 6'1" or 6'2", and (3) I happened to know that her brother is a basketball coach (which doesn't prove anything, but does associate her with tallness in my head).

I guess there's also a certain element of "If they're asking, and if it's near the top of the board, then we're expected to know it, so maybe it's the First Lady that we're most likely to have seen photographs of recently."
For me it was just, I've seen enough photos and video images of Hillary over the years to know that she's not 5'11.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
GoodStrategy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by GoodStrategy »

floridagator wrote:
bpmod wrote:We do not measure anything in meters in Canada, although we use meters to measure some things.
Huh?

Centimeters, kilometers, millimeters are all metric units of length, related to the meter. 1 cm = .01 meter. 1 mm = .001 meter. 1 km = 1000 meters. Stating someone's height as 1.89 meters is the same as 189 cm.

I think that bpmod is referencing that the unit of measure (but not a measuring device) is spelled metre in Canada (and most English-speaking countries besides the U.S.).
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dhkendall wrote:WLT Michelle Obama on TALL $200, other than "5'11" and "lawyer"? Are we supposed to know how tall Ms. Obama is? (I said Clinton, since she was also a lawyer and the first lawyer first lady I could think of, but I"m sure there's a few more)
For me it was "top box, might it be the current First Lady? I really doubt they're gonna Gigi Granger us in a college episode."
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

dhkendall wrote:
grindcore wrote:

Will check the "I had the extra "the" in my response" box on the weekly poll - TBH, I didn't know the "the" was incorrect!
Hilary is a lot of things but she sure ain't 5'11''.
You have a point, but how am I supposed to know Michelle Obama is on the tall side? All the pictures I can picture with her, she's not really standing where there's any frame of reference to show she is indeed a tall person.
Noted tall person Conan O'Brien is 6'4".

Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

GoodStrategy wrote:
floridagator wrote:
Huh?

I think that bpmod is referencing that the unit of measure (but not a measuring device) is spelled metre in Canada English (and therefore in most all English-speaking countriesbesides the U.S.).
That is exactly what I was referencing. And I fixed your post for you.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

dhkendall wrote: You have a point, but how am I supposed to know Michelle Obama is on the tall side? All the pictures I can picture with her, she's not really standing where there's any frame of reference to show she is indeed a tall person.
It was pretty widely discussed how tall she was at the time of their initial inauguration. A possible hint is that her brother is a basketball player and coach (and 6' 8").
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

Woof wrote:
dhkendall wrote: You have a point, but how am I supposed to know Michelle Obama is on the tall side? All the pictures I can picture with her, she's not really standing where there's any frame of reference to show she is indeed a tall person.
It was pretty widely discussed how tall she was at the time of their initial inauguration. A possible hint is that her brother is a basketball player and coach (and 6' 8").
And she can dunk herself:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... layer.html
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

nserven wrote:And she can dunk herself:
I know she's svelte, but I have trouble believing she fits through the hoop.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Bamaman wrote:Anybody else just love Hannah's wager?

I made the same error as Sarah on FJ. I also liked her wager.
All these 14,400 scores...frankly, it's gross.

I regret nothing.
econgator wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:WTF? Doesn't he have a sheet in front of him with all of the answers? How does he let that slip, and how does no one catch that?
Poor timing, sure, but first, if you don't know that Bk is Berkelium, it won;t help much and second, if the guy from Stanford already knew Cf, it's a fair bet he knows Bk.
Basically. If you, who does not know what Bk stands for, manages to piece together that quip with the clue following it and then connect all the dots before time runs out while still managing to beat someone who already knows Bk cold, you've earned that clue.

Foreshadowing, but not a spoiler.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9), Baby Doll (6)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Volante wrote:

I regret nothing.
You're orders of magnitude off. At least regret that.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

alietr wrote:
Volante wrote:

I regret nothing.
You're orders of magnitude off. At least regret that.
Saying it's gross a hundred times over would be too obvious.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9), Baby Doll (6)
Hurone

Post by Hurone »

Missed the episode, what exactly did Alex say that was such a big hint for Berkelium?