Are you more likely to watch tonight's episode?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Poll ended at Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:56 pm

No, I watch all the time anyway
85%
No, I skip the college tournament anyway
3%
Yes, even though I usually skip the college tournament
3%
Yes, I enjoy the college tournament and this adds to the intrigue
9%

Total votes: 65

BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by BobF »

With the possibility of their being a tie for the 9th seed in the semifinals and a tie breaker being involved, does that make you more likely to watch tonight?
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
alietr
Site Admin

Re: Are you more likely to watch tonight's episode?

Post by alietr »

Not only is there a student from my alma mater, but he is a Bethesdan as well. You better believe I'll be rooting for him!
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

I've got a student from my alma mater, one that a friend of mine coached in high school quiz bowl, and one that I had in local quiz bowl tournaments in high school (and who, I suppose, I coached a bit over my summer practices). I am excited about today's match.
GoodStrategy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by GoodStrategy »

They don't use tiebreaker questions to break a tie for a wildcard spot (like they do for determining the winner of a particular game). They take whoever had the higher score going into FJ!, and it is believed (but I'm not sure) if that's tied too they take whoever had the higher score at the end of the first (J!) round in their game (in this tournament that favors Kate Laubscher with $3,200 over Michael Sieja with $2,600).
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I am always less likely to watch Jeopardy live on a Friday, but I will catch up and watch it eventually.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

Might be helpful (in part for spoiler purposes) to include what "tonight" means in the thread title
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Interesting collection of people choosing the last option at this point.

I was thinking about whether there was any potential spoiler here and decided it was too minimal an issue to bother with.
BobF

Post by BobF »

alietr wrote:Interesting collection of people choosing the last option at this point.

I was thinking about whether there was any potential spoiler here and decided it was too minimal an issue to bother with.
Thanks, I was trying to think about how to word it if I did put one up. :-)
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote:Interesting collection of people choosing the last option at this point.
Especially that usc.edu one ....
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

I'm aware that I'm in the minority here, but I LOVE tournaments. I try not to miss any tournament episodes if I don't have to - during regular play, if I'm not around when the show is on, I usually just skip it. But with tournaments, I'll watch on tape delay if I can't watch live, and if I can watch live, you'd better bet I'm livetweeting. The wildcard ting doesn't really add more intrigue for me than normal wildcard races.

And I'd say I'm more likely to watch on a Friday, because I have no social life.

(Post number 1000!)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

econgator wrote:
Especially that usc.edu one ....
Easy to explain. It's Sam.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

nightreign wrote:I'm aware that I'm in the minority here, but I LOVE tournaments. I try not to miss any tournament episodes if I don't have to - during regular play, if I'm not around when the show is on, I usually just skip it. But with tournaments, I'll watch on tape delay if I can't watch live, and if I can watch live, you'd better bet I'm livetweeting. The wildcard ting doesn't really add more intrigue for me than normal wildcard races.

And I'd say I'm more likely to watch on a Friday, because I have no social life.

(Post number 1000!)
I don't mind the tournaments, as long as there is not to many of them (e.g., the extended charity tournament that ran most of a season a few years back). If nothing else, it fills in a good block for summer reruns for the series. Unlike standalone-episode series, like WOF, the regular game play has a game-to-game continuity, so that would be hard to pick and choose episodes for summers. (Yes, I know they pick and choose for Saturday reruns, but that's a totally different animal.)
MarkyMarkm
Valued Contributor

Post by MarkyMarkm »

alietr wrote:Not only is there a student from my alma mater, but he is a Bethesdan as well. You better believe I'll be rooting for him!
The USC winner Sam is from Bethesda, also. And Noah Cowan is a graduate of Matt Jackson's old high school. Score 2 for the yuppiest DMV suburb.
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

MarkyMarkm wrote:
alietr wrote:Not only is there a student from my alma mater, but he is a Bethesdan as well. You better believe I'll be rooting for him!
The USC winner Sam is from Bethesda, also. And Noah Cowan is a graduate of Matt Jackson's old high school. Score 2 for the yuppiest DMV suburb.
That matches the number of contestants who are from Boise, ID (Kevin on Tuesday, and Niki today). Kevin and Niki actually attended school (a part-time math & science supplemental school) together and played quiz bowl together in high school. (I don't think they were ever on the same team because of the age difference--Kevin was on the A team and Niki on the B team when they played.)
sldeutsc@usc.edu
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by sldeutsc@usc.edu »

MarkyMarkm wrote:
not only the yuppiest, but (more importantly) the hottest http://www.totalbeauty.com/content/gall ... 802/page11
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I don't really fit into any of the four categories. I guess I'm in the "I don't usually watch the college tournament but am this year because a former teammate is on" crowd.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

sldeutsc@usc.edu wrote:
MarkyMarkm wrote:
not only the yuppiest, but (more importantly) the hottest http://www.totalbeauty.com/content/gall ... 802/page11
I like this guy already.
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

I would've been the last option, but before tonight I'd only seen Wednesday's episode due to life getting in the way. Had I been keeping up I'd definitely have made sure to record tonight in case something got in the way of watching. But I like all tournaments just as much as regular play.