Wednesday, February 24, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7243, 2016-02-24

CONTESTANTS
Suzy Law, an administrative officer from Loveland, Colorado
Jill Panall, an H.R. consultant from Newburyport, Massachusetts
Ben Yuhas, a research scientist from Evanston, Illinois (whose 1-day cash winnings total $23,200)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny, and thank you, ladies and gentlemen. We've had some especially exciting games on Jeopardy! recently. Yesterday, we said goodbye to a champion who left us with over $100,000. Today, we welcome Ben as our champ, and he's got over 20-some-thousand. Jill and Suzy, you've got your work cut out for you, but good luck. Let's go to work right now in the Jeopardy! Round. And here are the categories for all three of you...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WEIRD WORDS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
DISNEY ANIMATED SUPPORTING CHARACTERS (5/5)
LITERARY CROSSWORD CLUES "P" (3/5)
SCIENCE (5/5)
DECADES OF DANCE (5/5) (Alex: You have to identify the decade in which the dance was popular.)
DISASTER CITY (5/5) (Kelly: The facility where the Texas A&M Engineering Extension Service, or TEEX, trains law enforcement and first responders for events from terrorism to train wrecks.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Ben: 13 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Jill: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Suzy: 6 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Suzy found the Daily Double on the 10th clue. Ben had $1,600, Jill was scoreless, and Suzy was at $400. Suzy made it a True Daily Double, wagering $400.

WEIRD WORDS $1000: Named for an 18th century earl, an orrery is an elaborate clockwork model of this alliterative arrangement
(Suzy: What is a cuckoo clock?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Ben: $2,200
Jill: $1,800
Suzy: $600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Whenever I'm asked, "What's your favorite place?" I usually start thinking about foreign, exotic lands. But, Suzy law, not in your case. You're closer to home.

Suzy: I am. Uh, my favorite place is Stuart Lake. It's in Otter Tail County, Minnesota. My grandparents were actually married there, and then they bought a cabin, then my parents bought a cabin, my sister has a cabin, my brother has a cabin, and a bunch of nieces and nephews and cousins. And everybody goes up there every summer.

Alex: Okay. Good for you.

Alex: Jill Panall from Massachusetts was proposed to...

[Jill chuckles.]

Alex: ...in... a rather strange situation.

Jill: Yeah, um, my husband Simon proposed to me in front of an 800-pound pig named Big Dave.

[Laughter]

Jill: Uh, he had--

Alex: Why--why?

Jill: He had the ring in a box of bagels. We had gone to feed Dave some bagels 'cause he's our friend. He's a lovely pig. He lives on a farm near our house. And, uh, he pulled the ring out of the bagel box. And I don't remember, but he claims I jammed it on my own finger and said yes.

Alex: Did the pig also attend the wedding ceremony?

Jill: He did attend our wedding as--yes, he was right behind us.

Alex: Ok-ay. Thank you.

[Laughter]

Alex: Good to know. We get... some weird ones on Jeopardy! also.

[Laughter]

Alex: Ben Yuhas is our champion. He has recently discovered that little babies...

[Ben chuckles.]

Alex: ...uh, really like you a lot when you do something...

Ben: When I dance to Lady Gaga.

Jill: [Laughs] Okay.

Ben: My, uh, 9-month-old daughter Abigail, uh, when she was probably about, like, 3 or 4 months and having a particularly rough afternoon, I picked her up, started dancing with her, trying to find a good, uh, song that would ease her mood. And we settled on "Bad Romance", to Lady Gaga. I played it on repeat for about 10 straight minutes, and it was wonderful, especially when my wife walked in from an errand and saw me dancing to "Bad Romance".

[Laughter]

Alex: We get some weird ones.

[Laughter]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
LITERARY CROSSWORD CLUES "P" $800: Well-named "Magazine of Verse" dating from 1912
(6)
(Jill: What is Punch?)

LITERARY CROSSWORD CLUES "P" $1000: One of Natty Bumppo's title vocations
(10)
(Alex: Not Deerslayer but [*].)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Ben: $6,200
Jill: $4,400
Suzy: $2,000
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LEGENDARY WOMEN

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Early British literature refers to her as “the first lady of the island”

Ben Yuhas: 12800 + 4000 = 16800
Jill Panall: 16400 + 10000 = 26400
Suzy Law: 1600 – 1400 = 200

Correct response:
Spoiler
Guinevere (Suzy had Elizabeth I)
Daily Doubles
Suzy: 400-400
Jill: 14400+2000
Ben: 15800-3000

Coryats
Ben: 15800
Jill: 16000
Suzy: 2000

Combined: 30,600
Last edited by theFJguy on Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by econgator »

Couldn't even muster a guess. I thought they were looking for a real person and no one made any sense.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Jill's enthusiasm and reactions were refreshing.

I thought Puck was undervalued at $200. That was overall a very tough category, where I got only "pentameter".

Strangely, the bottom box cost me a run in FIVE J! round categories, as I missed Solar System, Cinderella, triple point, hustle = 70's, and flashbang (NHO the latter three). However, in DJ!, I took a WAG on "flank" to run Strike Out.

I knew top + bottom = quark because of this song, and got Lach Trash on "hydroponics" thanks to a friend helping me with some science fiction world-building.

Not even a guess on FJ! I couldn't think of a legendary British woman at all. The name doesn't ring any bells, either. I am vaguely aware that a Guinevere exists in Arthurian lore, but knowing nothing actually about her, I was high and dry.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

Great game and a great new champion. I never would have been able to pull Azerbaijan under time pressure.

I had Guinevere for FJ, but only because I couldn't come up with anything else.

I watch Jeopardy next to a hydroponic herb garden, so that (game changing) DJ was pretty easy for me.

Swept the Disney category (although I would say Toy Story is only sort of a Disney picture...) and would have swept the strike out category if I had gotten what was going on in the first box.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Congrats to Jill on her win. I had 42 correct responses including two triple stumpers: Poetry and stalks. I also got the missed Daily Doubles of solar system and hydroponics, and I got FJ.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

I spent the commercial break deciding which sense of the word "legend" they were going for, prepared to invent new curse words if they screwed me.

"Well Queen Elizabeth was legendary, but she was real."

Sigh of relief. Instaget FJ.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

OSXpert wrote:Swept the Disney category (although I would say Toy Story is only sort of a Disney picture...)
It's no less a Disney movie than Cars, which was also in the category.
mfc248

Post by mfc248 »

OSXpert wrote:I had Guinevere for FJ, but only because I couldn't come up with anything else.
I could, and it did me in. It's well known that strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Nor was it the basis of this FJ, but that Monty Python scene led me to neg with Lady of the Lake.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Thought of Bodicea and Guinivere for FJ, and glad I went with the less obscure one.

A little surprised they didn't accept cane for stalk on the sugar question.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
OSXpert wrote:Swept the Disney category (although I would say Toy Story is only sort of a Disney picture...)
It's no less a Disney movie than Cars, which was also in the category.
Disney bought Pixar in 2006 before Cars came out, so now Pixar movies are definitely Disney movies.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Another vote for Boudica here. She was the first lady of the island, but apparently not the first lady of the island.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

I thought of Circe, Medea, and Boudicca right before the clue was revealed. So naturally, I went with the British (and real) one. I don't care what Alex says--she was a total legend.
clprez

Post by clprez »

Leander wrote:Thought of Bodicea and Guinivere for FJ, and glad I went with the less obscure one.

A little surprised they didn't accept cane for stalk on the sugar question.
I think cane was in the question...or the category
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

I also voted for Queen Boudicca, somehow the wording suggested her over a fictional character, 'Legendary' to me means 'epic' but not necessarily fable. O well....

Most of DJ was pre-empted for severe weather watch in DC Metro; I was grinding my teeth but it came back in time to get 'hydroponics,' and 'stalks' for sugar cane.

Before the weatherman broke in I got 'orrery,' which as an amateur astro buff and part-time volunteer planetarium protectionist instagot for 'solar system.' These are really fun toys, I have one that operates on solar panel when you hold it under a bright light it really spins! :P

Lotta fun gets on these boards, with Truth/Beauty = quarks; triple point for tri-phase of matter; lever = simple machine, methane = CH4, Puck = Robin Goodfellow, Pinter > The Birthday Party play; newts = amphibians, vit C deficiency > scurvy; Pathfinder> aka Deerslayer, James Fenimore Cooper's leatherstocking tales> Natty Bumppo, so many lovely clues, a veritable plethora of Pavlovs! :o
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

36 right.

Weird (2), Disney (4), Crossword "P" (3), Science (3), Dance (4), Disaster (2)
15th. century (4), Takes (3), World (2), Agriculture (1), Pitcher (5), Strike (3)

Lach Trash: poetry, French/Arabic, Jan Hus

I thought I had a pretty good guess with Britannia; I've heard of Guinevere, but I had to look up more information.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

I didn't take legendary to mean 'not real' - oh well. Little category exp. might have helped, but on the other hand that might severely limit the FJ possibilities.

At least, yesterday's FJ was great. Great solve by the contestants! Jill's DD get was commendable - I might have named one A country.

What would have happened if Suzy and Robin (from yesterday) were in the same game? Maybe one of them would have gotten more chances with buzzer?

Proud gets - Orrery DD and Hus. Lot of no clues - but hydroponics DD stands out.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I precalled Lady Godiva based on the category, so it was fortunate that I was already thinking Britain.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Jill looks to be a very formidable champion. I hope she can stay around for a while.

I was very disappointed in the bottom row clue for Hard Throwing Pitchers. Asking for a sinkerball is the best they could come up with?
It would have been nice to see another noteworthy pitcher like Bob Gibson, Vida Blue or Goose Gossage etc. pop up.

Alex telling Suzy that she wasn't out of it at the end of DJ caused me to go to the refridgerator for a nice cold drink.