Wednesday, March 23, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, March 23, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
21st CENTURY NEWS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Russia took out $200 million in insurance, anticipating any damage that might be caused by this in 2001

Claudia Stucke: 11800-0=11800 (2x = $$30,600)
Jen Kadzie: 16400-7201=9199
Jessica Kiefer: 6200-5000=1200

Correct response:
Spoiler
Mir crash (Claudia - Chernobyl) (Jen - Olympics) (Jessica - asteroid)
Daily Doubles
Claudia: 1600-1000
Jen: 7600+1400
Jen: 9800+2200

Coryats
Claudia: 12800
Jen: 16400
Jessica: 6200

Combined: 35,400
Last edited by theFJguy on Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
floridagator

Re: Wednesday, March 23, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by floridagator »

I really thought the obvious answer was terrorism, and I briefly considered the Y2K bug as well. I also thought of the sinking of the Kursk which happened in 2000. Chernobyl happened in 1986, so it is really a head-scratcher why Alex or anyone else would consider that to be obvious negbait for 2001.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

floridagator wrote:I really thought the obvious answer was terrorism
That was all I had. Zero chance of making it to Mir.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

Terrorism here as well.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Hey, a zero bet. I'm usually OK with that. In this case 601 would have been much better.
danspartan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by danspartan »

And 3rd violated Keith's rule that "if you have to get it right to have a chance, you might as well bet it all".

1 out of 3 good bets, about average for the past month. :oops:

Totally stumped on FJ. Would have written down Chernobyl.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

floridagator wrote:I really thought the obvious answer was terrorism, and I briefly considered the Y2K bug as well. I also thought of the sinking of the Kursk which happened in 2000. Chernobyl happened in 1986, so it is really a head-scratcher why Alex or anyone else would consider that to be obvious negbait for 2001.
Yeah I really don't understand Alex's comment there. I briefly considered terrorism as well, but I remember Mir being in the news back then...such a simpler time.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Congrats to Claudia on another win. I had 43 correct responses including these triple stumpers: Persia, Moabites, U.S.S. Voyager, Game of Thrones, leopard, Jurassic, Port Arthur, and alternating current. I also got the missed DD of prima donna, but I did not get FJ: I guessed terrorism instead.
gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by gamawire »

floridagator wrote:I really thought the obvious answer was terrorism, and I briefly considered the Y2K bug as well. I also thought of the sinking of the Kursk which happened in 2000. Chernobyl happened in 1986, so it is really a head-scratcher why Alex or anyone else would consider that to be obvious negbait for 2001.
Y2k was the best I could come up with. Wouldn't have gotten to Mir with 10X the think music.
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I know that Ruth and Esther have come up before, but I don't think we've ever talked about them in my church.

WLT "seafood" in For Your Supper for $200? That whole category was completely impenetrable to me. Where the hell am I gonna find beef Wellington in bumfuck nowhere?!

Throat singing is Asian? I thought it was Tuvan.

Blake = Tyger I learned from Calvin & Hobbes. Then I giggled at the actual Calvin & Hobbes reference in a later clue.

I can never for the life of me remember Saturn = rings. Jupiter/Saturn/Uranus/Neptune always merge in my head and I can never untangle them. Suggestions?

Barely got "Born Free" and ended up running the category, much to my shock.

Disappointed at the lack of Shamwow in the "Sham" category.

I loved the alliteration in Film Fest, but "Speed" was the only one of those that I've heard of.

I was going to ask WLT Helsinki at $400, but then I rewound and noticed the words "Finnish capital", which totally weren't there the first time I saw the clue...

"Wait, what Texas city has 'Arthur' in it?" That was pretty tricky, since Texas has a LOT of cities and Port Arthur is not one of the bigger ones.

I had absolutely no guess on FJ! This reminds me of this ludicrously specific FJ! response that no one got right either.

Do I get partial credit for knowing that Chernobyl was obviously wrong? :lol:
Leander

Post by Leander »

Plus, Chernobyl is in the Ukraine today.

I figured it was something falling out of space and Mir was the only name I could think of.
Pendleton71
Contributor

Post by Pendleton71 »

FJ was an instaget for me, though it was partially from recalling this FJ from this infamous game.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

TenPoundHammer wrote:WLT "seafood" in For Your Supper for $200?
The clue said "fruits de mer", and "mer" is French for the sea (related to Spanish "mar" and Latin "mare" and English "marine")
SlickRick87
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SlickRick87 »

I was a bit surprised to pull this FJ!.

40R/4W. J! round was right up my alley for the most part. I smiled pretty broadly at them adding the bell sound effect on the Game of Thrones clue. I made the same mistake as Jessica on the Spacey clue.

Got all three Daily Doubles and the following Triple Stumpers: Moabites, Game of Thrones, Alternating Current.

Congrats, Claudia!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I considered several things for FJ.

First Chernobyl, but rejected that quickly since it happened in 1986, I guess it was possible if they thought they were going to be hit by some lawsuit for people who got cancer, but it seemed a bit of a stretch.

Then I came up with 9/11, but that just didn't seem specific enough. Wound up leaving it blank.

The Olympics seemed an odd guess. Yes, they hosted in 2014, but they had not been awarded in 2001.

If Jessica gets it right and Claudia makes the MSB of $601, she beats her by a dollar. So her bet did have some logic to it. But if you are that far out of it, you might as well bet it all or at least cover a possible zero bet.
SlickRick87
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SlickRick87 »

I had the Beef Wellington at the Gordon Ramsay restaurant in Vegas, so I smiled at it being a clue today. It was phenomenal, by the way.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Instaget FJ for Hero of the Soviet Union; "CTO BbiL MNP?" LOL, I 'member when it fell, the world worried! 50R to boot, blew these boards away with nine LT:

Esther >> Persia; Ruth > Moabites; Lena Headly > GoT (Cirsei Lannister); Prima Donna; overtone singing = throat singing (featured on BigBangTx, Sheldon Cooper does it); "Il Gato Pardo" = The Leopard, Burt Lancaster, 1963: redshirts of Garibaldi; Jurassic preiod 145-200mya; Tesla >Alternating Current; Kiel Canal. No get on Port Arthur, head slapper. :roll: Win from the 4th! :!: :D
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

skullturf wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:WLT "seafood" in For Your Supper for $200?
The clue said "fruits de mer", and "mer" is French for the sea (related to Spanish "mar" and Latin "mare" and English "marine")
I saw "fruits" and guessed it was a dessert.