TD 289: Downton Abbey

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

TD 289: Downton Abbey

Post by Magna »

After six years, Downton Abbey aired its final episode this month! Whether you were a fanatical or casual viewer, or just picked up some odds and ends, here's the TD for you!

Rules, guidelines, and questions to follow....
Last edited by Magna on Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Re: TD 289: Downton Abbey

Post by Magna »

Rules

1. DO NOT POST YOUR ANSWERS IN THIS THREAD! Send them to me by private message.

2. Deadline for submissions is 6:00 p.m., Central time, on Monday, April 4. If I start posting answers/results later than that any entries that come in ahead of the posting will be eligible.

3. The object, as you know, is to provide the least popular correct answer for each of the questions.
a. Your score on a question equals the number of people (including you) who gave your answer.
b. Incorrect answers receive the "sheep" score (highest score on that question) plus 5 2
c. Lowest final score wins (with total computed by adding your scores together)

4. You may use a DROP for one question. By answering DROP, your score for that question will be 0. It's to your advantage to use your DROP, but if you forget, I won't prompt you.

5. Answers must be provided out of the wealth of information that exists in your brain - no research! But if you happen to stumble upon useful information, without looking for it, feel free to use it. Even after you submit your answers, I might need some clarification from you, so hold off on looking things up.

6. The first tiebreaker will be the number of singletons, then the submission order (first one who sent me the final set of responses that ultimately was scored.)

7. If you have questions or comments, send them to me via private message unless you are sure that what you say will not reveal answers, offer hints, steer players away from negbait, or in any other way affect the outcome. Clarifications, explanations, and other information will be posted below the questions, so check that before sending in your questions. Keep monitoring that area because I may post additional clarifications at any time before the final deadline.
Last edited by Magna on Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:38 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

1. Upstairs. Each season had a “lineup” photo showing the Grantham family members and their servants. Name any character who has appeared in any of the “lineup” photos for any season as a family member.

2. Downstairs. Name the job title of any character in service at Downton Abbey. (A job title held by multiple characters counts as one answer.)

3. Six Feet Under. Name any character who died during the series.

4. Foreigners. Name any character who hails from some country other than the UK.

5. Kiss, kiss. Identify the character who is/was a love interest for any of these people. Give the letter of your choice. (There may be more than one correct answer, but all correct answers are scored together.)
A. Lavinia Swire
B. Mabel Lane Fox
C. Sarah Bunting
D. Sir Anthony Strallan
E. Sir Richard Carlisle
F. Prince Kuragin
G. Atticus Aldridge
H. Lord Merton
I. Jack Ross
J. Edward Courtenay
K. Mrs. Freda Dudley Ward

6. History and Background. Give the letter of the question you're answering.
A. What disaster claimed the lives of Lord Grantham’s two immediate heirs at the beginning of the series?
B. During the show, Anna buys a “device” for Lady Mary to use, which was described in Marie Stopes’ real life book, Married Love. What was the purpose of this device?
C. A famous well-known opera singer, portrayed by Dame Kiri Te Kanawa, visited Downton and gave a performance. Which singer?
D. Jean Marsh, the creator of an earlier TV drama that ran on PBS from 1971 to 1975, featuring the aristocracy and their servants fired a volley at Julian Fellowes, calling Downton Abbey a thinly-disguised facsimile of her show. What was that show?
E. Julian Fellowes wrote the script for a 2001 mystery film (which also starred Maggie Smith as a countess) that he credits as an inspiration for Downton Abbey. What was that film?
F. In one plot twist, the Dowager arranges for Mr. William Molesley's rose to win the annual flower show prize, instead of her own. Although Julian Fellowes denied doing so deliberately, he was accused of ripping this plot device off from what famous World War II era movie?
G. Julian Fellowes has also been accused of "borrowing" other plot elements, though usually less directly. One involved property that could only be passed to sons, not daughters. This created a problem for the principal property owner of the story, who intended to have at least one son but instead sired a series of daughters. What classic novel, first published in 1813, features a similar problem (albeit involving 5 daughters rather than 3.)
H. Although the landholder and his heir apparent search diligently for a solution to the problem mentioned in G, they don't find one. Lawyers have second-guessed this, but the long and the short of it is, this kind of estate was finally abolished in 1925, so it turned out to be no real problem at all. What was the legal name of the type of freehold estate that could only be inherited by male heirs? (I'm looking for a 2- or 3-word phrase.)
I. One fan of the show, a former commander-in-chief of the British Armed Forces and Lord High Admiral of the Royal Navy, noticed a World War I military officer wearing medals that weren’t created until World War II, and mentioned it during an interview. Who was this eagle-eyed viewer?
J. Many different ranks of the nobility and gentry are shown during the course of the series. Name one of the five ranks of hereditary peerage in the UK. (Either the male or female title is acceptable, and each rank counts as a different answer.)

7. Bad manners! Identify the person who behaved most inappropriately in the dining room, or at the table.
A. Insulted Isobel for being an unsuitable match for his father, in addition to insulting Lady Sybil’s and Lady Rose’s choice of husbands. The Dowager later remarked that in any other century he’d have been “called out and shot.”
B. Conspired to dump a foul mixture over the head of a visiting general.
C. After he got woozy, everyone assumed it was the flu that was going around. Turns out he was just drunk from sampling too much wine.
D. Slipped Tom Branson a mickey finn but was caught by Sir Anthony Strallan.
E. Scolded and belittled the Granthams until Lord Grantham finally stood up and ordered her to get out and never come back.
F. It was a tense dinner in season 5 when she insulted his family for being Jewish and he insulted her for her failed marriage. (Name him or her. Each counts as a separate answer.)
G. Goaded her sister into confessing to her fiancé that she had an illegitimate daughter. (Name the goader, not the goadee.)
H. Brought dinner to a dramatic finish by puking blood.

8. The Butler Did It. Answer one of these questions about the many bad things Thomas did during the show - without ever managing to get himself fired!
A. Stole or tried to steal something. Specifically, what? (There are at least four correct answers. Each counts as a different answer.)
B. Deliberately got himself injured to escape military service. Which specific part of his body was injured?
C. Tried to blackmail a guest with letters the guest had written. Who?
D. Engaged in a failed money-making attempt involving trading in what?
E. Misled Lord Grantham into thinking Tom was getting up to some hanky-panky in the Abbey with a certain young woman. Who was she?
F. Recommended someone for a job at Downton, without mentioning her criminal record. Whom did he recommend?
G. Invited someone’s mistress and illegitimate child to a family event, to embarrass his butler. Name the man, the butler, or the castle the mistress was invited to. (All three count as different answers.)

9. The Sack, version 1. Name any servant who is fired or laid off during the show.

10. The Sack, version 2. Identify one of the people who sneak into someone else’s bedroom (on screen) for some hanky-panky, or the person whose bedroom they sneak into. (The two have to be seen together secretly in the bedroom, on screen. For this question, it doesn’t matter if the guest is welcome or unwelcome.)

11. Wedding Bells. Name any couple who got engaged and/or married during the course of the show. (You must name both.)

12. Transformations. Downton Abbey has won Emmys for both costumes and hairstyling. Identify the character portrayed by one of these actors or actresses, shown here in their street clothes. To help you out, the actors' names have been provided.
Spoiler
Last edited by Magna on Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:34 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Important: A "character" is someone referred to by name, shown on screen at least once, as long as the actor was credited at the beginning or end of the show. Child characters with a first and/or last name who appeared on screen also count as named characters, even if the actor was not credited. Animals don't count as characters.

Any name or title that someone goes by in the series is OK, as long as there's not more than one character with that name/title. If there's more than one, you need to be more specific. (For example, don't just say "Crawley".) I'll be liberal with accepting misspelled names, as long as I can tell whom or what you meant.

The Downton Abbey wiki at http://www.downtonabbey.wikia.com, will be the official authority for what counts as a correct answer. If there's no answer there, I'll look to IMDB or Wikipedia as the authority.

Question 1: The lineup photo must be the one used on PBS DVD case for the series. (This is the official UK version.)

Question 2: The job title must be that of a live-in servant, not a hired retainer such as the agent, lawyer, or librarian. If a job title can have a rank with it and no rank is mentioned, I'll assume you mean the most senior one, and others will count as different answers. So for example, Head Butterfly-catcher and Butterfly-catcher would be the same answer. But Junior Butterfly-catcher would be a different answer.

Question 4: For this question, Ireland counts as part of the UK.

Question 6: After posting, I corrected choice F. It should be Mr. William Molesley (Moleslely's father), not Mr. Mason.

Question 9: Can be any servant, not just at Downton Abbey. Servants who are fired but later allowed to stay or are brought back, servants who are pressured to leave, and servants whose threats to resign are unexpectedly accepted are all correct answers. Servants who are only on temporary assignment, who leave voluntarily, or who leave for unspecified reasons aren’t correct answers.

Question 10: If the two people are supposed to be together in the bedroom, it doesn't count as sneaking. Hanky-panky" is something illicit and sexual, not just general mischief. (Don't make me draw you a picture. :) )

Question 11: Characters who married before the show starts, and characters who are not engaged or married by the time the series ends also don't count (even if it's strongly hinted that they might become engaged.)
Last edited by Magna on Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:36 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Re: TD 289: Dowton Abbey

Post by Magna »

gamawire
MarkBarrett
CallinGaoilge
Tabby
RichmondJ

DadofTwins
Blue Lion
Peachbox
ChexMix
immaf

AgentCooper
BobF
Tigershark
Carpe Diem
teapot37
Last edited by Magna on Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:29 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Caboom
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Caboom »

Is it too late to start watching? 6 seasons in 7 days, seems doable, if I quit my job.
Rusty's in the club
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Rusty's in the club »

Never watched it.

Never will.

About the only question I could answer would be: "In what country is the show set?" And even there, not sure to answer England or United Kingdom (since I don't know the proper time frame).
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Comment deleted due to quizmaster's request,
Last edited by Bamaman on Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote:I think it is set in the early 1900s, but I'm not sure.
I have not seen the questions yet, so it should be fair for me to say I've seen every episode and the show (Downton with 2 letter ns) takes place from [Oops, I now have seen the questions]. Although a top 10 finish may not happen for me, there is no bloody way I'm coming in last.
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

A friendly reminder: please PM me your answers - don't post them here. Also, please be careful about posting comments that might spoil some of the questions.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Magna wrote:A friendly reminder: please PM me your answers - don't post them here. Also, please be careful about posting comments that might spoil some of the questions.
Exactly. It was me who wiped the comment, so just be careful, please. :)
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Someone helpfully pointed out that the answer choices for question 6 duplicated some letters. So I've renumbered the choices. For anyone who has already submitted an answer, don't worry about sending in a correction - all the answers were clear enough that it was obvious what you were answering.
goroshnik
I came, I Saw... I Came in Third

Post by goroshnik »

econgator wrote:
Magna wrote:A friendly reminder: please PM me your answers - don't post them here. Also, please be careful about posting comments that might spoil some of the questions.
Exactly. It was me who wiped the comment, so just be careful, please. :)
Ah, sorry about that. Got too excited there... nice category!
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Six entries so far! If you sent in your entry and your name isn't on the list, post here or PM me and let me know.

A few clarifications have been posted. If at any time before entries close you want to change an answer, just PM me.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

A few more days to go. In the meantime, I'll post bonus questions, good for a -1 from your final score! Post your answers here (spoilerized). I'll periodicially monitor them and let you know when a question has been correctly answered. But until then you can keep on posting guesses.

First bonus question: The very first person to speak in the series is a postmaster's wife. But we never find out her name, or the postmaster's name. Who is the first named character hard speaking in the series? And, just for fun, what was the first line this character said?
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

Spoiler
At a guess, I would say Carson (as he takes the telegram)? He probably says "Thank you."
Teems with quiet fun.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

immaf wrote:
Spoiler
At a guess, I would say Carson (as he takes the telegram)? He probably says "Thank you."
Not Carson.

Here's a hint: the telegram arrives at the telegraph office quite early in the morning.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

Bonus questions! Fun!
Spoiler
If I recall correctly, it was Daisy, waking up some of the other below-stairs staff. I think she called out the time, or said "wake up".
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

CailinGaoilge wrote:Bonus questions! Fun!
Spoiler
If I recall correctly, it was Daisy, waking up some of the other below-stairs staff. I think she called out the time, or said "wake up".
Correct character! A bonus of -1 for you. And you're right, it was her calling out the time ("Six o'clock!") to wake up the maids.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Second bonus question, also for -1 off your final score: Which is the first named character shown on screen? It's a different answer than the last one.