Friday, April 15, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, April 15, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7280, 2016-04-15

Andrew Pau game 1.

CONTESTANTS
McKinnie Lee Sizemore, a DJ and music journalist from Orlando, Florida
Andrew Pau, an assistant professor from Amherst, Ohio
Margaret Miles, a librarian from Wilmington, North Carolina (whose 1-day cash winnings total $40,100)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. And thank you, ladies and gentlemen. As we all discovered on yesterday's program, our champion, Margaret the librarian, is obviously well-read and has broad-based knowledge. But today, two different opponents, Andrew and McKinnie, and completely different categories, as well. So how will she fare? Let's start finding out. One Daily Double in this round of play in one of these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
SPEAKER'S CORNER (4/5)
COUNTRY MUSIC (4/5)
IN MY DESK DRAWER (5/5)
WRITERS BY INITIALS (5/5) (Alex: We'll give you the initials, you give us the full name of the author.)
"KNOCK", KNOCK (5/5)
WHO'S THERE? (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
McKinnie: 14 R, 2 W
Margaret: 12 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 0 W
Andrew: 2 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
McKinnie: $6,200
Margaret: $2,400
Andrew: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: McKinnie Lee Sizemore is from Florida. And, McKinnie, you have experienced something that is kind of interesting. And that is the way some celebrities deal with their public when they are recognized.

McKinnie: Yeah. Absolutely. Absolutely.

Alex: And it happened to you with...?

McKinnie: Steven Tyler of Aerosmith.

Alex: And what were the circumstances?

McKinnie: Well, we were at this children's store. It was the grand opening. We were racing these cars made of bricks down a ramp, and he was showing the kids how to put them together to make them faster. And he's hanging out there with his youngest daughter. All the people around him are like, "Oh, my God. It's Steven Tyler." They kept asking him, "Are you Steven Tyler?" And he said, "You know what? Not today, today I'm Dad."

Alex: Great response. Great response.

Alex: Andrew Pau from Amherst, Ohio. Andrew, you're of Chinese descent, and in your part of the world fugu is considered a delicacy. That is a fish. I want you tell us about that.

Andrew: Sure. You've tasted--fugu is a puffer fish or blowfish, and it's considered a delicacy in Japan, mostly. Uh...

Alex: It's poisonous!

Andrew: It's poisonous if wrongly prepared. And, one time, I was in Japan on a business trip, and my colleagues ordered this without telling me that that's what it was. So I just ate it without knowing that I was under mortal danger, and I survived to tell the tale. And they told me afterwards, so that was good.

Alex: And what does it taste like? Chicken?

Andrew: It just tastes like sashimi, basically.

Alex: Okay. Good.

[Laughter]

Alex: All right.

Alex: Margaret Miles is a librarian. As you'll recall, ladies and gentlemen, at the beginning of yesterday's program, I started off by wishing my 95-year-old mother happy birthday. Many of you have wondered what I talk to the contestants about at the end of the show. Well, Margaret and I were talking about the fact that she, too, has a 95-year-old mother...

Margaret: That's right.

Alex: ...who did something kind of wild. Marry--well, she went cradle robbing, right? Because she's still with your father?

Margaret: Very nearly, so, yes.

Alex: How old is your father?

Margaret: He's almost 90.

[Laughter]

Alex: And they live together alone and look after themselves?

Margaret: They are living together in the house where I grew up and going well.

Alex: Where's that?

Margaret: In Boone, North Carolina, in the mountains.

Alex: Boone, North Carolina. I bet you they're watching now and very proud of you on our program.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Margaret found the Daily Double on the 21st clue. Margaret had $3,400, Andrew had $200, and McKinnie was at $6,600. Margaret made it a True Daily Double, wagering $3,400.

WHO'S THERE? $800: This dashing young soldier, who married Mary Anna Custis at Arlington House in Virginia on June 30, 1831
(Alex: And you have just enough money to overtake McKinnie for the lead, if you risked it all.)
(Margaret: Let's make it a True Daily Double.)
(Alex: Ooh! Saucy lady.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SPEAKER'S CORNER $800: Paul Ryan & actress Heather Graham were both born in this state Jan. 29, 1970

COUNTRY MUSIC $800: This man's band has been in perfect harmony since coming on the scene

"You're such beautiful drug /
I can't get enough /
Addicted and I'm dying /
For a hit of your love..."

(Alex: McKinnie, you knew that.)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Margaret: $10,000
McKinnie: $7,000
Andrew: $400
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, April 15, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ALMOST RHYMES WITH ORANGE (5/5)
RUSSIAN CITIES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
DESCRIBING THE ANIMAL (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
17th CENTURY PEOPLE (5/5)
TV SHOWS BASED ON MOVIES (5/5)
ODDS & "N"s (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Andrew: 11 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
McKinnie: 10 R, 1 W
Margaret: 8 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 0
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $0

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Andrew snagged the next Daily Double on the 5th clue. Margaret had $10,400, Andrew had $4,000, and McKinnie was at $6,200. Andrew wagered $3,000.

RUSSIAN CITIES $2000: In the 1930s a ballet company as well as the city of Vyatka were renamed this for slain Communist Sergei

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Margaret who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 21st clue. Margaret had $17,600, Andrew had $11,400, and McKinnie was at $13,800. Margaret wagered $3,600.

DESCRIBING THE ANIMAL $1200: Vespine
(Alex: Margaret? Anything?)
[Margaret shakes her head slightly.]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Andrew: $16,600
McKinnie: $16,200
Margaret: $16,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CONTEMPORARY WOMEN AUTHORS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Andrew: Wager $15,801 to cover McKinnie.
McKinnie: You ought to wager to cover Margaret, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you ought to choose between wagering $0 or maximizing your winnings with a bet of all $16,200. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $15,800 (to shut out Margaret) or less than $15,400 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Margaret). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Andrew.
Margaret: You ought to try wagering between $201 and $15,200. This will top a $0 wager by McKinnie while still beating Andrew and McKinnie on the Triple Stumper (should Andrew wager to cover McKinnie's doubled score and McKinnie wager to cover your doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A critic said that this bestselling author "makes me wish there were more than 26 letters"

FINAL SCORES
Margaret: $16,000 + $15,999 = $31,999 (Who is Grafton?) (3rd place)
McKinnie: $16,200 + $16,200 = $32,400 (Who is Grafton?) (2nd place)
Andrew: $16,600 + $15,801 = $32,401 (Who is Grafton?) (New champion: $32,401)
(Alex: [To Margaret] "X" came up in 2015.)
(Alex: Now Andrew Pau, we recall, started the Double Jeopardy! Round with $400.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $1,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Margaret: $17,000, 20 R (including 1 DD), 1 W (including 1 DD)
McKinnie: $16,200, 24 R, 3 W
Andrew: $15,600, 13 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Combined Coryat: $48,800

BATTING AVERAGES
McKinnie: 25/58 = .431
Margaret: 21/60 = .350
Andrew: 14/59 = .237
Team: 60/63 = .952

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
COUNTRY MUSIC $600: At the 2015 CMA awards, their "Girl Crush" won for Single of the Year, & they won for Vocal Group

"KNOCK", KNOCK $600: It's the seasoned meat product seen here

COUNTRY MUSIC $400: This singer who goes by his first & middle names is known for his rousing country anthems

WHO'S THERE? $600: Eva Gonzales, a lesser known member of this artistic movement whose 1876 work is seen here

IN MY DESK DRAWER $600: Tax time--need my calculator from this company whose logo is seen here

IN MY DESK DRAWER $200: Aha! A glue stick from this brand whose mascot is seen here

IN MY DESK DRAWER $1000: Dixon makes these yellow & green pencils that are named for a township in New York
(Alex: Yes, with less than a minute to go now.)

SPEAKER'S CORNER $600: Thomas was the real name of this man who in 1936 graduated Boston College & joined the Mass. State House
(McKinnie: Who is Ted Kennedy?)

SPEAKER'S CORNER $1000: A clapboard home west of Bonham, Texas was the little corner of the world of this longtime speaker, "Mr. Sam"
(McKinnie: Who is Houston?)

RUSSIAN CITIES $800: With a population of about 300,000, the port city of Murmansk is the world's largest city north of this geographic line
(McKinnie: What the Prime Meridian?)

17th CENTURY PEOPLE $1600: With a nose for science, around 1650 this French author wrote tales about imaginary journeys to the Moon & Sun
(Alex: Yes. [*]. There was a real one.)

ODDS & "N"s $2000: Note the family resemblance between King George V of England on the right & this first cousin on the left

ODDS & "N"s $400: Fitting one inside the other, they're the type of dolls seen here

CORRECT RESPONSES
Robert E. Lee
Wisconsin
Zac Brown
Kirov
a wasp
Sue Grafton
Little Big Town
knockwurst
Toby Keith
the Impressionists
Texas Instruments
Elmer's
Ticonderoga
Tip O'Neill
(Sam) Rayburn
the Arctic Circle
(Cyrano) de Bergerac
Nicholas II (of Russia)
nesting dolls
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CONTEMPORARY WOMEN AUTHORS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A critic said that this bestselling author “makes me wish there were more than 26 letters”

Margaret Miles: 16000+15999=31999
Andrew Pau: 16600+15801=32401 (new champ)
McKinnie Lee Sizemore: 16200+16200=32400

Correct response:
Spoiler
Sue Grafton
Daily Doubles
Margaret: 3400+3400
Andrew: 4000+3000
Margaret: 17600-3600

Coryats
Margaret: 17000
Andrew: 15600
McKinnie: 16200

Combined: 48,800
Last edited by theFJguy on Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

Best game ever.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Wow. Just wow. Too bad it came down to such a simple FJ.

Marvelous comeback by Andrew. That slip of the tongue on Sam Houston for Rayburn will haunt McKinnie for a long time.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

The show has been starving for a five day champion since October.

So - great planning - let's kill off two strong players in one episode, and have it all settled with a cakewalk FJ.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

What an incredible game! It would be interesting to see what the outcomes would have been if the luck of the draw had been a little different with respect to which two players were called each day. Mad props to Andrew--I look forward to reading his comments!

If Margaret had been sitting on her couch, I wonder if she would have had the same thought process I did: "Vespine. I don't know that. Wait a minute--Vespa--doesn't that mean wasp?"

I whiffed on FJ--knew exactly who they meant but blanked on her name. I just noticed that this cost me 5/5 this week. Drat!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Wow, what a game. That may be one of the best photo finishes ever.

Yes, I ran Country Music. Did you expect otherwise? Personally, I thought the Zac Brown Band clue could've used a TOM; can we poll it?

WLT California at $200?

Office Space is another movie that I bet some of you are surprised that I've actually seen.

So Moscow is bigger than St. Petersburg? Seemed like a toss-up to me.

The one that's my last name was my only miss in Describing the Animal, oddly. I just couldn't make the connection from pavonine, and even if I had locked onto
"pavo", I would've certainly negged with turkey.

Super-instaget. My mom is a Sue Grafton fan, so her A Is for Alibi line came to mind immediately. Woo 4/5!
SlickRick87
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SlickRick87 »

What a game! Cool that I was part of two really good taping days. Congrats on the comeback victory, Andrew!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:So Moscow is bigger than St. Petersburg?
More than twice as large.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

This was a fantastic game; lots of fun to watch! Congrats to Andrew on winning and coming from so far behind. I had 42 correct responses including two triple stumpers: Wisconsin and Zac Brown. I also got FJ.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Austin Powers wrote:The show has been starving for a five day champion since October.

So - great planning - let's kill off two strong players in one episode, and have it all settled with a cakewalk FJ.
Uuuuugghhhhh. So much firepower gone to waste. Such an exciting episode, and THAT"S the FJ they give them. Between this and that always-stupid 'almost rhymes with' category, you can do better, J! writers. I think.
Leander

Post by Leander »

I feel especially bad for McKinnie. At least the other two get to be Jeopardy champs, while he goes home with the parting gifts.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

One of the best matches I've seen in a long time! It's unfortunate it can only produce one winner, but McKinnie and Margaret can still be very proud of their performances.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

What a memorable game. I thought that Andrew had no chance after sj.

I thought Margaret's get of Cyrano was TOC caliber. Also rare that contestants podium light up so fast... Wow. Glad I'm not on this show.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

There can be only one!

Superb play by all, really enjoyable game! Instaget FJ. :D
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

The game definitely deserved a harder FJ, but it wouldn't really be fair to decide and change a games questions based on who is playing.

Wish Margaret had stayed, but it was still a great game.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

What's the record for best third-place score pre-FJ in a regular game, and best third-place score post-FJ in a regular game?
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

What a game! Has there ever before been a combined score as large at the end of DJ? What is heretofore the max for a 3rd place contestant at the end of DJ?

I was cheering for Margaret. I think she was overall the best contestant. (Librarians are SUPPOSED to be strong in general knowledge.) McKinney was a very aggressive player, and it cost him. He gave several very wrong, not carefully thought, answers. Ted Kennedy (short for Thomas?) a state legislator in 1936? He was four. Sam Houston was speaker? Andrew played a more conservative game, and it paid off.

I really thought vespine referred to bats.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

Man. At the outset I was hoping Margaret would stay around a while, but that -- THAT -- was heroic. All of them flashed tournament-level knowledge. So little margin for error. Humble salute.
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.