Monday, April 18, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, April 18, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICAN ICONS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This WWII icon was created in a 1943 song that says, “That little frail can do more than a male can do”

Andrew Pau: 22600+10201=32801 (2x = $65,202)
Sarah Edwards: 16400+6201=22601
David Greenberg: 10200+7000=17200

Correct response:
Spoiler
Rosie the Riveter
Daily Doubles
Sarah: 3400+3400
Andrew: 15800+2000
Sarah: 12200+5000

Coryats
Andrew: 22200
Sarah: 10600
David: 10200

Combined: 43,000
Last edited by theFJguy on Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grindcore
Some Guy

Re: Monday, April 18, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by grindcore »

Another fantastic game, dampened only by an impossibly easy FJ!

Andrew - though you'll always be the guy that deprived us of more Margaret, I'm pulling for you from here on in.
corvo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by corvo »

grindcore wrote:Another fantastic game, dampened only by an impossibly easy FJ!

Andrew - though you'll always be the guy that deprived us of more Margaret, I'm pulling for you from here on in.
It seriously turned an exciting game into a boring. That FJ clue is legitimately embarrassing.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Congrats to Andrew on his second win. I had 45 correct responses including four triple stumpers: handgun, satire, whiskey, and Cockapoo. I also got FJ.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Sigh. I know it can't be easy, cranking out tens of thousands of clues every season, and a couple hundred FJs, but come on J! writers, cut it out.

I've watched every second of Daredevil so far and I'm embarrassed to admit I couldn't think of anything better than "uh....sticks?"
Golf

Post by Golf »

Sarah goes TDD in the first round with a decent amount! Well done.

Andrew had $6k through 15 clues, $6600 after 30 with no negs.

Sadly the DD's in DJ did not fare as well. Andrews makes the useless $2k wager, but then Sarah really screwed the pooch with $5k. The way she was thinking I thought she might be going TDD again. This was the obvious all or nothing time. Not sure which was she should have gone though, bottom row clue tends to dictate $5, but seeing as how Andrew was obviously the better player today this leads to being more aggressive and the TDD.

Sarah only had two possible FJ wagers, $4000 or $4001 which I found interesting. Which one would a wagering viking pick?

This may be a two day record? Seriously? Considering two different players have won more than that in a single game.
brick

Post by brick »

xxaaaxx wrote:
Sigh. I know it can't be easy, cranking out tens of thousands of clues every season, and a couple hundred FJs, but come on J! writers, cut it out.

I've watched every second of Daredevil so far and I'm embarrassed to admit I couldn't think of anything better than "uh....sticks?"
Likewise, regarding sticks.
mfc248

Post by mfc248 »

Golf wrote:Sarah goes TDD in the first round with a decent amount! Well done.

Andrew had $6k through 15 clues, $6600 after 30 with no negs.

Sadly the DD's in DJ did not fare as well. Andrews makes the useless $2k wager, but then Sarah really screwed the pooch with $5k. The way she was thinking I thought she might be going TDD again. This was the obvious all or nothing time. Not sure which was she should have gone though, bottom row clue tends to dictate $5, but seeing as how Andrew was obviously the better player today this leads to being more aggressive and the TDD.

Sarah only had two possible FJ wagers, $4000 or $4001 which I found interesting. Which one would a wagering viking pick?

This may be a two day record? Seriously? Considering two different players have won more than that in a single game.
Indeed - Roger Craig's $77K was in his second game, giving him a two-day total of $114,000. Among others with higher totals than Andrew are Philip Tiu ($71,098), Ken Jennings's first victim, Jerry Harvey ($70,002), and JBoard's own Rafferty Barnes (also $70,002).
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

The Teen Tournament contestants are going to be pretty unhappy to find out their FJs got switched out for these two weeks.

I also said stick for DareDevil, and I counted it as correct.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Luck obviously plays a big role here, but I managed to guess the correct FJ response based just on the name of the category.

I just thought "American Icons" was a little more likely to refer to a fictional character. It could also refer to someone like Betsy Ross or Paul Revere, but I felt that a fictional character was more likely somehow.

I also considered Uncle Sam, as well as things like Superman or Bugs Bunny or Mickey Mouse, but stuck with my initial precall.

Great game by all three contestants.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

xxaaaxx wrote:I've watched every second of Daredevil so far and I'm embarrassed to admit I couldn't think of anything better than "uh....sticks?"
I didn't think batons was what they're normally called ("billy club" is what I find searching for "Daredevil weapon"), but that's what I stammered out.

My embarrassing miss in that category was dynamite for the Justified clue; I was thinking of Boyd instead of Raylan, and thought guns were too boring for the category.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Golf wrote: Sarah only had two possible FJ wagers, $4000 or $4001 which I found interesting. Which one would a wagering viking pick?
So the scores were

$22,600
$16,400
$10,200

These are evenly spaced scores, which is why Golf mentions the "just bet $4000" strategy as a viable option in this case. If 1st and 2nd both bet to cover by $1 and miss, they both drop to $12,399. The leader is likely to make the cover bet, so I think in Sarah's position it makes sense to bet $4,000. If everyone misses, you are likely going to win by $1, and worst case, leaving off that dollar puts you into a tiebreaker with 3rd place if he bets it all and you are both correct. I'd rather face a tiebreaker with 3rd place than a tiebreaker with 1st place, and there is always the chance that 3rd won't bet it all, even though it made sense for him to do so in this case because his score was below $12,399 to start with.

From the leader's position, I would certainly consider just betting $10,200 in this scenario, risking a tiebreaker at $32,800 if 2nd makes the all-in wager in order to ensure that you don't lose by a dollar by dropping to $12,399. Since 2nd only has to bet $4,000 or $4,001 to cover 3rd, it seems fairly likely that she won't make the leap all the way to $16,400 and risk finishing with $0. We've certainly seen plenty of all-in wagers before that made even less sense, but in this case I think it would make sense for the leader to bet against it.
pauerpoint
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by pauerpoint »

Thanks grindcore and all. I got a text today from a friend that "someone at work randomly got angry that the librarian lost," so I hereby solemnly apologize to the legions of Margaret fans out there.

Today's was a fun game, it was quite competitive but a little less intense than my first one. As for the DD wagers, I'm quite prepared for all the critiques and second-guessing that go on around here (and what do I care, I won), but I'll also say that you only have a split second to make a decision up there, and hindsight (and armchair quarterbacking) is always 20/20. In my case, the clue before the DD was a triple stumper, so that weakened my resolve a little.
Spoiler
If you don't like what I did today, be prepared to really yell at me tomorrow.
Maggie's contestant briefing in the morning cites "What is Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" as the safest response if the play (which is already in the form of a question) ever came up, and lo and behold, it did. That was kind of handy.
Last edited by pauerpoint on Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

TV Weapons was entirely YEKIOYD. I had no clue on any of them. Crossbow = Walking Dead? Really?!?

FINALLY ran a word category ("In") after a long dry spell. Also ran the music category.

Turtle was my only miss in Marine Biology. I'm pretty sure that's not the first time that's happened.

WLT Christmas at $400?

Portmanteau for $800 was total negbait. I actually had a cockapoo when I was a kid and I still missed it.

Another instaget FJ! If I'm instagetting so many of these, then they MIGHT be playing a little easy.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

TenPoundHammer wrote:WLT Christmas at $400?
If I remember correctly, the clue said that this happened roughly half a year after WWI started. I thought WWI started in the summer, and I also just tried to think of major holidays in Europe that might inspire a truce or cease-fire.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Plactus wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:I've watched every second of Daredevil so far and I'm embarrassed to admit I couldn't think of anything better than "uh....sticks?"
I didn't think batons was what they're normally called ("billy club" is what I find searching for "Daredevil weapon"), but that's what I stammered out.
The comic calls it a "billy club cane", so baton or (billy) club is definitely good.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

skullturf wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:WLT Christmas at $400?
If I remember correctly, the clue said that this happened roughly half a year after WWI started. I thought WWI started in the summer, and I also just tried to think of major holidays in Europe that might inspire a truce or cease-fire.
That Christmas ceasefire is also the stuff of legend - German and Allied soldiers playing football (proper football, not the North American variety ;) ) in No Man's Land. Instaget for this Irish/British household.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

And for the second week in a row, WIVB screws its viewers by switching channels in midstream ("without interruption" is how they worded it, but that ugly scroll across what should have been readable text onscreen interrupted it before it even started).

How many years until this election is over?

I think I am going to have to start recording WIVB and WNLO 24/7 so that this doesn't happen again.

In the meantime, can somebody invent a DVR that can switch channels in midstream? I guess it doesn't matter unless said DVR can also remove all the crap the TV station needs to put over top of the picture.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.