Monday, April 25, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, April 25, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7286, 2016-04-25

Andrew Pau game 7.

CONTESTANTS
Buzzy Cohen, a music executive from Los Angeles, California
Jeanne Roper, a garden designer from Blacksburg, Virginia
Andrew Pau, an assistant professor from Amherst, Ohio (whose 6-day cash winnings total $123,802)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Well, as you just heard, our champion, Andrew, is an assistant professor, but the way he's been performing on Jeopardy!, he ought to get promoted to full professor very soon.

[Laughter]

Alex: Jeanne and Buzzy, welcome aboard and good luck. Let's go to work, players. Here comes the Jeopardy! Round. And here come the categories for you. Starting off with...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
SCIENCE UPDATE (4/5)
I'M INNOCENT (5/5)
DESCRIBING THE NOVEL (5/5)
THE DAVY O'BRIEN QUARTERBACK AWARD (4/5) (Alex: We'll give you the winner, you give us the school.)
CHICKEN SOUP (5/5)
FOR THE SOLE (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Buzzy: 11 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Andrew: 10 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Jeanne: 7 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Andrew: $4,200
Buzzy: $3,200
Jeanne: $800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Welcome back. I'm a little mystified, and it has to do with Buzzy Cohen. I was told that in honor of your appearance on our program, you grew a mustache.

Buzzy: I did.

Alex: You are clean shaven right now. What happened to the mustache?

Buzzy: Well, you had a mustache and now you're clean shaven. So in anticipation, I grew a mustache, which we named victor at my office.

[Laughter]

Buzzy: And, uh, couple days before I was to appear, I shaved it off.

Alex: It's worked out for you, so I hope it works out for me, too. Victor bought the farm.

Buzzy: Victor bought the farm, yeah.

Alex: Okay. All right.

Alex: Jeanne Roper is a garden designer now, but was once a professor. What was your subject?

Jeanne: I was professor of urban studies. I taught--

Alex: Which means what exactly?

Jeanne: Or... well, it's a little bit of everything. We do urban planning. We do urban history. I did a course in the urban future. I kind of did everything. Taught lots of freshman. It was very exciting.

Alex: All right. Thank you.

Alex: Andrew Pau is an assistant professor, as I indicated at the beginning of the program. An assistant professor of music. He's also a pianist who enjoys playing...

Andrew: Music by French composers mostly, which is also--

Alex: Ravel?

Andrew: Ravel. Debussy.

Alex: Debussy?

Andrew: Yeah. Um, my dad actually wanted me to tell this story. I almost became a drummer, but, uh... uh, family friends gave me a drum set when I was a kid, and my parents threw it out because I was making too much noise. So there--there went my drumming career.

[Laughter]

Andrew: It was the piano instead.

Alex: Andrew, I love your parents.

[Laughter]

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Buzzy found the Daily Double on the 19th clue. Andrew had $4,200, Jeanne had $1,200, and Buzzy was at $4,000. Buzzy made it a True Daily Double, wagering $4,000.

FOR THE SOLE $800: The name of these soft leather loafers comes from an Algonquin word for "shoes"

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SCIENCE UPDATE $800: in 2015 a team of Harvard scientists announced a breakthrough using anti-malarial drugs to treat this neuron disease

THE DAVY O'BRIEN QUARTERBACK AWARD $800: 2015: The Tiger Deshaun Watson

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Buzzy: $8,600
Andrew: $6,000
Jeanne: $4,000
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, April 25, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
RALPH WALDO EMERSON (5/5)
ASIAN FOOD (5/5)
MY ROBOT PAL (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MUSIC CITIES, USA (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
A ROYAL BRITISH LOCKUP (5/5)
THE J-V SQUAD (5/5) (Alex: Each correct response will begin with the letter "J", and there will be a "V" following some--at some point.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Buzzy: 12 R (including 2 DDs), 0 W
Andrew: 9 R, 0 W
Jeanne: 9 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 0
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $0

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Buzzy snagged the next Daily Double on the 25th clue. Andrew had $13,200, Jeanne had $14,000, and Buzzy was at $17,800. Buzzy wagered $3,000.

MY ROBOT PAL $1200: The name for this robot came about during the slating of the second reel of dialogue for the film "American Graffiti"
(Alex: It was reel number two, dialogue number two. You are right.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Buzzy who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 28th clue. Andrew had $14,800, Jeanne had $14,000, and Buzzy was at $22,000. Buzzy wagered $4,000.

MUSIC CITIES, USA $1600: As host of the iHeartRadio music festval, this city hit the jackpot

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Buzzy: $28,000
Andrew: $16,800
Jeanne: $14,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
METAPHORICAL PHRASES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Buzzy: Wager $5,601 to cover Andrew.
Andrew: You have the hope of surpassing Buzzy if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $11,201 to force Buzzy to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Jeanne.
Jeanne: Your only hope of a win is that you're the only one to give a correct response, so bet $13,998 or so, leaving a few bucks behind in case someone wagers it all.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In the late 1800s Clark Stanley was a notorious seller of this 2-word product, which he advertised as a curative liniment

FINAL SCORES
Jeanne: $14,000 + $13,995 = $27,995 (What is snake oil?) (3rd place)
Andrew: $16,800 + $11,201 = $28,001 (What is snake oil?) (2nd place)
Buzzy: $28,000 + $5,601 = $33,601 (What is snake oil?) (New champion: $33,601)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $1,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Buzzy: $20,600, 23 R (including 3 DDs), 1 W
Andrew: $16,800, 19 R, 0 W
Jeanne: $14,000, 16 R, 0 W
Combined Coryat: $51,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Buzzy: 24/61 = .393
Andrew: 20/58 = .345
Jeanne: 17/58 = .293
Team: 61/63 = .968

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
CHICKEN SOUP $800: One of this state's official symbols is seen here

THE DAVY O'BRIEN QUARTERBACK AWARD $1000: 2006: Troy Smith, perfect against arch-rival Michigan
(Buzzy: What is Mchigan State?)

ASIAN FOOD $1200: Of the Chinese dish seen here, a comedian playing a waiter said, "It's not egg, it's not young, it's just" this

MUSIC CITIES, USA $1200: Stevie Ray Vaughan was one of this city's music legends, & a statue of him stands on the shores of its Lady Bird Lake

CORRECT RESPONSES
moccasins
Parkinson's
Clemson
R2-D2
Las Vegas
snake oil
Rhode Island
Ohio State
foo
Austin
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
METAPHORICAL PHRASES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In the late 1800s Clark Stanley was a notorious seller of this 2-word product, which he advertised as a curative liniment

Andrew Pau: 16800+11201=28001
Jeanne Roper: 14000+13995=27995
Buzzy Cohen: 28000+5601=33601 (new champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
snake oil
Daily Doubles
Buzzy: 4000+4000
Buzzy: 17800+3000
Buzzy: 22000+4000

Coryats
Andrew: 16800
Jeanne: 14000
Buzzy: 20600

Combined: 51,400!
Last edited by theFJguy on Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BRD-98
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by BRD-98 »

It's not applicable for today's episode, but I want to extend my heartfelt condolences to those who played Jerry Vinokurov. We know you tried.

RIP
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

BRD-98 wrote:It's not applicable for today's episode, but I want to extend my heartfelt condolences to those who played Jerry Vinokurov. We know you tried.

RIP
Huh? I'm confused. Is there something that we didn't hear on? :?
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

MTGcollegestudent wrote:
BRD-98 wrote:It's not applicable for today's episode, but I want to extend my heartfelt condolences to those who played Jerry Vinokurov. We know you tried.

RIP
Huh? I'm confused. Is there something that we didn't hear on? :?
Basically, Jerry Vinokourov:Matt Jackson::Matt Jackson:his first 26 opponents. I don't think anyone actually died. BRD-98 was just using a figure of speech. Of course, there is the small possibility that Jerry will turn into one of the great quizzers who doesn't do well on the show, but I'd give that the same level of odds as I would of Nancy Zerg beating Ken Jennings in a rematch.

EDIT: Okay, that analogy was a little hyperbolic. Jerry is pretty much at the same level or slightly better than Matt Jackson, but I still stand by that last sentence.
Last edited by Cat Hammarskjold on Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Wow. Andrew went out the same way he came in--with one corker of a game and three players who all deserved to be there. Congrats for your fine run, Andrew. Congrats to Buzzy for his well-earned win. And congrats to Jeanne for a stellar performance that would have won easily against so many competitors. Condolences that you had to be up against Andrew AND the guy who beat him.
pauerpoint
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by pauerpoint »

I don't remember meeting Jerry at the studio on my last day (so many new faces!), but from what people are saying, it appears I chose a good day to make my exit!

Anyway, all credit to Buzzy for a well-played game, and I'll state up front that none of the following is meant to diminish his achievement. I myself was completely out of sorts for this last game - I'd had to fly back home in between (red-eye on Wednesday night), teach my classes, and turn around and fly back to LA early on Sunday morning. If the first trip to LA felt like a long-planned vacation, the second trip was more like an unwanted business trip forced on me at the last minute. I don't know how all the super-duper champions dealt with all this, but clearly I wasn't physically or mentally strong enough to withstand this kind of schedule.

Not much else to say, I was glad my run lasted as long as it did, I wasn't expecting that at all. I suppose I could still have won this last game by aggressively searching for DD's towards the end and aggressively wagering once I found them, but I was just too stubborn or too tired to change my game at that point. Instead, I went for the lower-percentage play, i.e. hoping for a miss from the leader on FJ. Oh well.

Thanks to everyone for making me feel welcome posting here. I think I'll take a break and maybe come back when ToC comes around.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

We complain about the writing often enough that I'd like to single out a clue for particular praise:

MY ROBOT PAL
THE NAME FOR THIS ROBOT CAME ABOUT DURING THE SLATING OF THE SECOND REEL OF DIALOGUE FOR THE FILM "AMERICAN GRAFFITI"

That is a perfect DD clue. Hard enough that you might lack confidence to ring in during the hurly burly of regular play. But completely gettable as you follow the trail from American Graffiti to George Lucas to Star Wars to C-3PO or R2-D2 to "second reel" = R2.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

A well-played game by all 3 contestants; congrats to Buzzy on the win. I had 43 correct responses including the triple stumper of Parkinson's. I also got FJ.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Buzzy goes TDD in the first round, very nice.

Guess the writers finally figured out many contestants don't know sports, so they did their best to write today's QB clues in such a way that they were unmissable if you know a tiny amount about college sports and not even just football.

With 12 clues remaining and two DD's still in play, Andrew chose the only box guaranteed not to hold one. Ick.

And then with 5 clues remaining and one DD still in play, immediately after answering a DD Buzzy stayed in the same category even though there's no chance of finding another piece of gold there.

When Buzzy found the last DD, there were two $2k clues left on the board and the relevant scores were Buzzy with $22k and Andrew with $14800. He wagered $4k. The only way he gets a lock is if he answers the DD correctly and then nails the last two clues as well. If he misses and Andrew gets both clues then he is leading going into FJ. Interesting scenario.

Naturally both Andrew and Jeanne should have wagered everything in FJ, but it wouldn't have mattered. Nice game by all three.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Hmm, I thought the first English king named Edward was Edward the Confessor, a couple of centuries before Edward I. Of course, some believe English history began after the Normans invaded :lol:

No idea on FJ.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

Golf wrote:Guess the writers finally figured out many contestants don't know sports, so they did their best to write today's QB clues in such a way that they were unmissable if you know a tiny amount about college sports and not even just football.
The $800 was probably the toughest, because there are entirely too many Tigerses. I got stuck on LSU and Auburn before Clemson was said and then "Oh, yeah, they're Tigers, too, and were pretty good last year."

(My attention to college football has admittedly waned in the last few years as Texas as struggled.)
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Leander wrote:Hmm, I thought the first English king named Edward was Edward the Confessor, a couple of centuries before Edward I. Of course, some believe English history began after the Normans invaded :lol:
Edward the Elder and Edward the Martyr preceded him by a couple centuries (although they're ususally styled as Anglo-Saxon Kings. Edward the Confessor is usually called King of the English.
SlickRick87
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SlickRick87 »

Took a very strong game to beat a very strong champion. Well-played by all three.

46R, 3W for me today, including the Clemson TS. Got all 3 DD's, and Final was an instaget.

Looking forward to seeing Buzzy continue, and sad to see Andrew go, but he'll be back!
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Weird. My listings show the Teachers Tournament starting today.

But, I have to say I enjoyed this game much more.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Got worried when my laptop decided to take nearly 10 minutes to boot, then kicked into safe mode at the login screen. But another reboot seems to have fixed that. All I ask is that it keep working until after I buy my Alienware, which shouldn't take long with my tax refund coming soon...

Wow, these games are just getting insane lately. Props to all three players tonight.

WLT Nike at $200 over Adidas, Reebok, etc.? My only miss in that category.

Was it just me, or did she not call out $200 on the first Football clue?

Not an iota of recognition in the football category.

Ran J-V, my first word run in a long time.

Also ran Robot. I have seen 3 of those 5 works, and surprisingly not the one you're thinking of.

I agree with Opus on the R2-D2 clue. I was about to say "well, how do we know which one to pick between R2-D2 and C-3PO?" but then "second reel" jumped out at me. Certainly better pinned than this game (Alphanumeric for $200). I still have no idea WLT one over the other in that game.

FJ! was a ludicrous-speed instaget for me.
alamble

Post by alamble »

TenPoundHammer wrote: WLT Nike at $200 over Adidas, Reebok, etc.? My only miss in that category.
Kobe (Bryant) and Kyrie (Irving) are both very famous NBA players. Nike is well known for working with playersto design their shoes.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

Andrew, it was sad to see you go. You represented the con artists well. Best of luck in the ToC.
SlickRick87
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SlickRick87 »

alamble wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: WLT Nike at $200 over Adidas, Reebok, etc.? My only miss in that category.
Kobe (Bryant) and Kyrie (Irving) are both very famous NBA players. Nike is well known for working with playersto design their shoes.
Adidas and other manufacturers do the same.

Nike is probably the $200 response there, but I did say Adidas :?