Monday, May 23, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

lbligh
Valued Contributor

Re: Monday, May 23, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by lbligh »

I agree that FJ was particularly difficult. There isn't that much size difference between Indiana, Ohio, and Pennsylvania. I hadn't narrowed it down by the time the Think Music ended.

But the Brahms "Tragic Overture" question was that rarity, a question that's easy for classically-trained musicians but difficult for everyone else. I really appreciated it.
Auditioned most recently via Zoom, June 2023
Strengths: Literature, History, Classical Music
Insurmountable weaknesses: Sports, Pop Music, Anagrams

"It's easy if you know it, it's hard if you don't."
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

dhkendall wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Johnblue wrote:Buzzy was a nickname chosen in the womb, according to Buzzy.
This is something that has always seemed strange to me. Why would you name a child something you never intend to actually call them?
I would gather people who name their kids (usually sons) the same name as themselves, but with a "Jr." on the end would know, as I guess they don't use the same name casually for father and son.

Still doesn't answer why they do it but there's enough Jr.s out there for it to be a thing.
I found out something when I was in Iceland a couple months ago that I didn't know previously. Since they use patronymic naming, your surname really just indicates whose son (or daughter) you are. If your dad is named Erik your last name is Eriksson or Eriksdottir. That part I knew. What I learned was that the tradition is for the first names to also repeat every other generation. So Jon Eriksson might have a son named Erik Jonsson, and his son would be Jon Eriksson, etc.
brick
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by brick »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
This is something that has always seemed strange to me. Why would you name a child something you never intend to actually call them?
I don't know if you are understanding. Some people nickname the fetus. Because they get tired of talking about "it" when they refer to the expected baby. They fully intend to use the name once the baby is born and properly named, whatever that may mean in their culture, but sometimes the prenatal name sticks. Or so Bean, PotPie, and Lima Bean tell me.
brick

Post by brick »

opusthepenguin wrote:I thought it was funny that Alex said that the champ presumably wasn't "christened" Buzzy. A guy named Cohen presumably wasn't christened at all. I mean, it's not impossible, but I'd stake substantial money that he wasn't.

Same thought occurred to me. He was polite not to correct Alex.
brick

Post by brick »

alietr wrote: I will not rest until I hear the story of Buzzy's name.

Better now? Did it live up to expectations?
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

Vermont was technically the correct answer for 18 days in 1998.
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Vermonter wrote:Vermont was technically the correct answer for 18 days in 1998.
I was going to mention that, but figured you deserved the honor.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

lbligh wrote:I agree that FJ was particularly difficult. There isn't that much size difference between Indiana, Ohio, and Pennsylvania. I hadn't narrowed it down by the time the Think Music ended.

But the Brahms "Tragic Overture" question was that rarity, a question that's easy for classically-trained musicians but difficult for everyone else. I really appreciated it.
Or, you know, "name a classical composer with "hm" in their name." I'm a classical fan, but that's how I got there.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

35 right.

Italy (2), Key (3), Lucky (2), History (5), Whoops (1), "BAD" (5)
Science (1), Spinoff (3), Fiction (4), Foreign (5), Sculpture (0), "HM" (4)

Lach Trash: "Bad Girls", "Bad Reputation", Blair House, Horace Greeley, fortune, rand, Gone with the Wind

I went too far east and said Vermont- I had no idea that was right for 16 days in 1998.
kettledrum
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kettledrum »

FJ instaget for me, but then again I've lived in IN my entire life.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

brick wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
I don't know if you are understanding. Some people nickname the fetus. Because they get tired of talking about "it" when they refer to the expected baby. They fully intend to use the name once the baby is born and properly named, whatever that may mean in their culture, but sometimes the prenatal name sticks. Or so Bean, PotPie, and Lima Bean tell me.
You're right. I've never heard of that, but it makes sense.
Magnoliasims
Contributor

Post by Magnoliasims »

Many congrats to Buzzy. And I absolutely loved the one-liner (which he has probably been telling for decades) about his and his sister's names.
I always thought actress Lindsay Wagner took her name from the former mayors of New York City but apparently not -- it is her name from birth.
Late actress Lee Grant on the other hand . . .
davey

Post by davey »

Magnoliasims wrote:
Many congrats to Buzzy. And I absolutely loved the one-liner (which he has probably been telling for decades) about his and his sister's names.
I always thought actress Lindsay Wagner took her name from the former mayors of New York City but apparently not -- it is her name from birth.
Lee Grant may be in her 90s (her age is "disputed") but she is not "late." I saw her in Manhattan within the last decade or so - she looked pretty good.
Magnoliasims
Contributor

Post by Magnoliasims »

davey wrote:
Magnoliasims wrote:
Lee Grant may be in her 90s (her age is "disputed") but she is not "late." I saw her in Manhattan within the last decade or so - she looked pretty good.
Ooops! My apologies to Ms Grant. May she live and be well, biz a hundret und zvanzig (120).
She was born Lyova Haskell Rosenthal according to imdb.com.
And I just watched her daughter, Dinah Manoff, on Cybill on Me-TV.