2016 Summer Hiatus Challenge - Round 4 Instant Replay Thread (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: 2016 Summer Hiatus Challenge - Round 4 Instant Replay Thread (SPOILERS)

Post by Volante »

Elijah Baley wrote:So I guess I'm the only one who put oxygen and argon?

I read "If the standard periodic table were a chessboard, a knight standing on helium could reach these two gases by a legal move" as helium to oxygen and then "reach another gas by a legal move," therefore argon.

Anyone? Bueller?
I'd say no. If the q were rephrased as such:
"If the standard periodic table were On a chessboard, a knight standing on A1 could reach these two squares by a legal move"
I couldn't see C2 and A3 as acceptable (as opposed to C2 and B3)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

CailinGaoilge wrote:
OntarioQuizzer wrote:I'm genuinely curious as to how many players needed Pearson on this question.
Not me; like DHKendall, I would have got it from any one of Yonge, Spadina or Bloor.
Another here.
Elijah Baley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Elijah Baley »

Volante wrote:

I read "If the standard periodic table were a chessboard, a knight standing on helium could reach these two gases by a legal move" as helium to oxygen and then "reach another gas by a legal move," therefore argon.

Anyone? Bueller?
"If the standard periodic table were On a chessboard, a knight standing on A1 could reach these two squares by a legal move"
Well, except that you can get to argon in a legal move from oxygen.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Elijah Baley wrote:
Volante wrote:

Anyone? Bueller?
Right, but that would require two moves. You can't reach Ar from He with "a legal move".
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

econgator wrote:
Elijah Baley wrote:
Volante wrote:

Anyone? Bueller?
Right, but that would require two moves. You can't reach Ar from He with "a legal move".
Yes, and moving from helium to two different gases requires two moves as well. I mean, I totally get what was apparently intended; it's just that there is another interpretation that I happen to think has some reasonable basis.
kaberi
Valued Contributor

Post by kaberi »

So, I start at Helium. One down and two over leads to...nitrogen or oxygen? Nitrogen or oxygen? Nitrogen or oxygen? (Coin toss says "nitrogen").

Two down and one over leads to,..chlorine or fluorine? Chlorine or Fluorine? Chlorine or Fluorine? (Coin toss says "fluorine").

D'oh!
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

nlw44 wrote:
doihavetoreally wrote:Day 4:

On Chi, took two guesses with is it Blagojevic or Blagdonovic (no idea where this came from?), and the only department store I know is Fields.
I bet you were thinking of Bogdanovich, as in Peter, the director.

I see I misspelled Blagojevich, but I'm hoping that my still somewhat phonetically correct Blagoyavich gets the points.
Thanks. Yes..I'm glad I picked the right one.

For some reason I thought we only needed to provide one of O/Cl elements. What's the ruling on half- answers?
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
doihavetoreally

kaberi wrote:So, I start at Helium. One down and two over leads to...nitrogen or oxygen? Nitrogen or oxygen? Nitrogen or oxygen? (Coin toss says "nitrogen").

Two down and one over leads to,..chlorine or fluorine? Chlorine or Fluorine? Chlorine or Fluorine? (Coin toss says "fluorine").

D'oh!
Throw away that coin
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

doihavetoreally wrote: For some reason I thought we only needed to provide one of O/Cl elements. What's the ruling on half- answers?
Wholly wrong.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

So the SHC works on the "Vilnuis" rule, where you get credit for knowing what the answer is, even if you mistype or can't spell it.

How does my response of "Blagovitch" work for today's game?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I should have thought harder about the knight. I have the elements memorized up to neon, so I had a halogen staring me in the face at atomic number 9, but instead I went a row down from neon and said, "What comes right before argon? Dunno, give up."
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

It started out so nicely, then I saw the word "opera..." I'm a little weaker on Russian lit than I'd like, as well, which could have kept today's score respectable.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Sorry, had to go back and edit my response to spoilerize. Result of doing this too early in the morning.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Ooh, nasty negbait for Titania on the 6 pointer. I'm glad that it never occurred to me or I might have said it. And I'm also glad that I clammed the 15 pointer. I was 50/50 on Puccini and Rossini (with a darkhorse choice of Donuzetti). I wouldn't have got Bellini spotted 4 guesses.
doihavetoreally

Woof wrote:Ooh, nasty negbait for Titania on the 6 pointer. I'm glad that it never occurred to me or I might have said it. And I'm also glad that I clammed the 15 pointer. I was 50/50 on Puccini and Rossini (with a darkhorse choice of Donuzetti). I wouldn't have got Bellini spotted 4 guesses.
Day 5:
Yesterday I thought only one element was required - so I put Oxygen only. So, today I was careful when they asked for two moons, had Titan..casually thought of what sounds close to Titan and ended up making a moon out of Titian :D I might have gotten Triton if I thought a little. I should really do these SHC later in the day after thinking a while! This probably cost me a perfect round (I don't think I have one yet)

Titania never occurred to me...but I would have ruled it out as I know it is for Uranus.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I'm thinking a clue of equal difficulty level to the two pointer would be "Don't confuse ABC (the American Broadcasting Company) with this country's ABC broadcaster, whose website can be found at abc.net.au."
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
plasticene

Post by plasticene »

Okay, Eugene Onegin is "a novel in verse", while The Queen of Spades is a short story. I knew Eugene Onegin was in verse and I thought The Queen of Spades was more like a novella; I wasn't sure which one was more likely to be described as a novel. Fortunately I was able to convince myself that Eugene Onegin had to be by far more popular. (It was the first opera I saw live, back in 1985.)
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

plasticene wrote:Okay, Eugene Onegin is "a novel in verse", while The Queen of Spades is a short story. I knew Eugene Onegin was in verse and I thought The Queen of Spades was more like a novella; I wasn't sure which one was more likely to be described as a novel. Fortunately I was able to convince myself that Eugene Onegin had to be by far more popular. (It was the first opera I saw live, back in 1985.)
Very close to my reasoning. The two operas with obviously Russian subject matter that I could think of were Boris Godunov and Eugene Onegin. I knew that the former was Mussorgsky and, as I thought about it, I recalled that Pushkin wrote Eugene Onegin, so that put me over the edge.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I almost WAGed Prince Igor for the Russian Opera since thats the only one I know, but luckily I clammed. Today was a bad day for me.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

I've been assembling a collection of Anki flashcards, and they proved helpful with the opera questions. I'd seen the Bellini/Norma card often enough to justify a guess on the 15-pointer--and, for once, it paid off.